main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Soits... art - updated 12/10/2010 - mainly non-SW art

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by soitscometothis, Dec 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometosith

soitscometosith Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 30, 2005
    ShrunkenJedi, thank you. Your right about it looking very Byzantine, I was very influenced by religious icons. Hence the Sun halo.

FalconFan, thanks again for commenting on my thread. I had done some Greek myths pictures using the same style some time ago, and Star Wars has a mythic feel to it, too, so I thought it might work. I tend to be influenced a lot by comic-book style art, decorative ancient Egyptian art etc.

The picture is still not quite right. I need to sit and look at it for a while before I decide how to finish it properly.

Nidrail, thank you. It is flat, but it's made up of layers. I guess I would describe it as a collage. I used Aluminium foil for the metalic-looking parts, transparent plastic for the red bits of the Sun, and card or paper for the rest. It's held together with paperclips and masking tape. It was very difficult to line up the layers, I didn't plan things out as well as I might.

For those that are interested in the work-in-progress stuff, here's a few layers without background: White background

Here is the image scanned on a scanner. Disapointingly flat, plus the red looks pink.

2. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    :eek: OMG that was absolutely BRIlLLIANT!!! Why don't I think of stuff like that?? :p
    GJ!!!

3. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    You have an quite individual and very cool style of painting. Looks very cool.

4. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wow, that is beautiful! Excellent work. I like the religious look to it.

AG88

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
  6. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow... They look like museum displays of ancient bas-relief panels--the textures, style and lighting are amazing! Both of them are gorgeous--I think I like the first one best--not entirely sure why, except that the almost opalescent tones across the stone cool the image just a touch, and are more reminiscent of stone... Just beautiful!! =D= The sketchbook cover is also awesome--how long did that take you to finish, soits? With so much texture and detailing, it seems like it would take ages... I just can't get over the range of your talents and skills, and the expansiveness of your artistic vision--I'm awed and humbled! Amazing work!

=D==D=

FF

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Very cool! It's not as easy to do stylized work as it sometimes looks, I know, so well done!

8. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    the Bellerophon and Pegasus designs are awesome: very original looking, while at the same time they have a very historic look to them.

9. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    FalconFan, as always, thank you for your kind words. As to how long the sketch-book cover took, all the hard work was in cutting out the stencil (I did the design years ago); the rest of it was mainly slapping the media on, be it texture paste, metallic spray-paint, or acrylic ink. Very little skill required - in fact I have found it best to fiddle as little as possible in this type of work, the back-cover of said sketch-book being a horrible reminder of this (I tried to fiddle too much, ended up with a very messy image, not in the same class).

ShrunkenJedi, yup, stylised work is actually harder a lot of the time, though I always think it's going to be easy.

BIEREN, Thank you.

10. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    Nice designs. I like the textures.

11. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Wow, I love what you've done there with your sketchbook. :D That cover is amazing. I'm a fan of anything to do with Greek/Roman mythology (or really just mythology in general). It looks as though you stuck on a chunk a wall from ancient Greece. Beautiful effect and work on the texture. The design itself strongly reminds me of astrological designs (It has that same manner of feel to me).

- Suz ^_~

12. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Wow, Soits. I haven't seen your art before, but these Bellerophon and Pegasus-designs are absolutely marvellous! I felt rather nostalgic when looking at them; they reminded me of the time when I used to sit and read all the books with Greek Myths I could find. Really nice :D

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    SilSolo, thank you.

Your_Worshipfulness, thank you, I also am a fan of mythology, Greek and Norse mainly. Funnily enough, I did do some horoscope designs around the same time as I designed the Greek picture.

Fenrisulven, thanks for the kind words. I think a lot of people on the boards are into mythology.

14. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    soitscometothis - I love - LOVE - LOVE your style!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D It speaks volumes!!!! I loved looking at your process and progress. I often trace my own work in order to use a pose in other places. Or I do a stick or block figure and trace a hardcopy over. What really blows me away about your work (aside from originality and style) is your color sense. Are you working in watercolor or on the computer?

awesome! :cool:

15. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Hi, rocketscientist, thank you for the compliments. I work both with watercolour and computer, but even the watercolours are sharpened and have the contrasts tweeked via Paint Shop Pro once I've scanned them in; they often look better on screen than in real-life.

I find colour very difficult, and always have. Lots of designs that look good in black-and-white look rubbish once I add colour. Colour is just a whole new dimension of tricky[face_worried]. My favourite watercolour pigments are prussian blue, burnt umber, burnt sienna, and yellow ochre.

16. ryanwong

ryanwong Jedi Master

Jan 13, 2007
    really nice! love the watercolors.

17. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    I second that! :eek: [face_love] It looks beautiful! Could fit into a museum easily. =D=

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :D

I'm so glad someone kicked this thread up--there's so much wonderful artwork in here! Once again, soits--great work, and we'll be looking forward to more when you can post it!

FF

19. Elysiann

Elysiann Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 30, 2006
    fantastic stuff here! you do such varied works, it's great seeing such variation... I love it all! My favorites are the portraits of course, they have a beautiful simplicity that is just so pleasing to the eye.

20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    ryanwong,Chilla,Elysiann: Thank you, I appreciate the comments.

FalconFan, Thank you. I've not done any Star Wars work for ages, which is why I haven't updated. When I've got something exiting, I'll put it up.

21. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Greedo. He turned out okay, all things considered. I've got a new version of Paint Shop Pro, and this was the first thing I've done with it.

Rough poses
    More roughs
    Yet more poses. The pose on the left is what I eventualy went with.

Porkins. I don't like this one. I didn't have any full body shots for reference, and it shows. I'm no good at drawing overweight figures, and I struggled to get the proportions right; my original rough was better, but I panicked and redrew the lower legs on the final render, which was a mistake. I'm no good at making up cloth-folds, especialy for over-weight people, and attempting to get a good reference by doing an image search for fat men was a mistake I will have to live with for the rest of my life. *shudder*

Rough drawings

As usual I prefer my rough sketches to finished pieces.

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Gah!! These are fabulous!! =D==D= I so love to see your process (you're so much more meticulous than I am! ;) )--your figure sketches are really wonderful, even in the rough form! And the finished pieces ROCK!! =D= Poor ol' Porkins is one of those much-overlooked characters, one of the fallen fighters, and you've done him great justice here: the likeness is right on the money, and the costuming is terrific! And my deepest sympathies on the search nightmare...been there, and have my own scars to nurse... **shudders** ;) :D Greedo looks awesome, too--great pose and great coloring--he's no doubt burning down one of Jabba's debtors, here! ;) Fantastic update, and thanks again for sharing the initial works with us, too--I always appreciate that! :D

FF

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I sw your horses and they are great, like ancient sculptures

Greedo is also very good.

24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    [:D] Thanks FalconFan, I appreciate you taking the time to comment on my stuff. And I think there should be a support group for artists who's image-searches go horribly wrong.[face_sick]

earlybird-obi-wan, thank you for the compliments.

Qui-Gon work in progress[​IMG]

I've been at war with this piece for some time now. The definition line for the neck is wrong, and I don't think I'll have much trouble correcting it, but the eyes...

How do you put the kindness into Qui-Gon's eyes? I've seen several people manage this, FalconFan especially springs to mind, but I'm struggling with this. Help!

25. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    your Qui Gon is Quite Good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.