main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I can see Tag and Bink being two comedic relief Imperial characters that do some shady dealing with Han and eventually jump ship for the Rebellion. They can be the Jay and Silent Bob of the Anthology films.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    That moment when quasi-obscure EU characters make headline news...

Empire Magazine: Ron Howard Reveals New Characters For The Han Solo Spin-Off
    The Verge: Ron Howard teases a pair of unlikely characters in his Han Solo movie
    Metro: Han Solo movie: Director Ron Howard introduces two new characters Tag and Bink for Star Wars spin-off
    ScreenRant: Ron Howard Teases Major Non-Canon Legends Cameo In Han Solo

...there seems to be some confusion as to how venerated these two were among fans of the old EU.

...actually wow that's a thought; the movies bring back obscure EU characters and suddenly they reach stardom faster than the canon book characters. HA! What a world.

3. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    So what, now old canon and new canon off-screen characters making on-screen appearances are tied? Chopper and Saw in Rogue One, and Tag and Bink in the Untitled Han Solo Anthology Story: A Star Wars Story? I guess you could count Hera getting a shoutout in the sound mix but I'd prefer on screen appearances as the actual character.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Also, Nozzo Natayan (Red 9) in Rogue One - in ANH, you only hear his voice over the comm.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If they were going to cameo characters, couldn't they have at least chosen literally anyone else? Instead of boring, personalityless goofs from terrible, painfully unfunny noncanon parody stories? I feel like this has to be the least possible value added.

Daneira likes this.
  6. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  7. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    meh I liked Untitled Han Solo Film more

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I've updated the thread title to match prior ones, plus make it easier to find for new users.

--Adm. Nick

Taylore likes this.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They didn't put them in the movie for the sake of putting in an EU character, but because they liked the characters.

It's not about a "value" cameo. What would even constitute a value cameo? An old C-canon character? I bet you'd be saying something different if it were Bel Iblis or Hal Horn or some other Corellian with an EU story.

I'd like to see those guys too but ideally because they'd be cool and not just to please people who wouldn't care about anything else in the film.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'm disapointed that they did not call it HAN, A Solo STAR WARS Story

BigAl6ft6, Barriss_Coffee and Stymi like this.
  11. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I'm going to bet 10,000 credits upfront that Tag and Bink in the movie will be two background characters who at most are the equivalent of the "Move along, move along," trooper from ANH who then get identified in The Han Solo Visual Guide, though odds are also high that Pablo will just give them new last names in order to be smug about it on Twitter.

12. Counter

Counter Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 3, 2017
    As long as they aren't turned into Pintel and Ragetti ala Pirates of the Caribbean style, it'll be fine.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, I do think there's a very high probability that they're just background characters that'll be completely unnamed in the film, yes.

But given the visual guides/dictionaries are still using a lot of old EU, I can't see their surnames being changed just to troll people.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    "I'm Solo, Han Solo" would be a better idea as the name of the film. This movie is a perfect opportunity to introduce another version of that song.

CT-867-5309, Ewoklord and Gamiel like this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is also "I'm Feelin' So Low"

16. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    Rogue One
    Solo
    Slave I?
    Obi-Wan?

CaptainPeabody, BigAl6ft6 and SWpants like this.
  17. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

Kenobi for the Obi-wan movie. I know we have JJJ's novel of the same name, but I can't imagine any other name that would truly fit as well.

Isn't the Boba Fett movie rumored to be an ensemble bounty hunters movie now? If so, Scum and Villainy comes to mind. Or they could pull a Rogue One and give us a name for this bounty hunting "team". If it remains a solo Boba Fett movie, though, Slave I does have a nice ring to it.

18. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Shadows of the Empire

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Bold Wan

20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It's a rhetorical complaint. Of all the people they chose to put in, they chose terrible characters. And even the media is acting like it's a big deal that two characters will show up in the background of some scene with the same name as two characters who were never even canon to begin with. It's just a big fuss for terrible characters.

Really, I'm just upset nobody's canonized Cole Fardreamer.

Revanfan1, Kylun and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think they're making a big deal out of it per se, it's just that any cross-pollination is notable, especially when it's of the cross-continuity variety. Same thing happens every time the MCU uses some obscure character from one panel in 1973, even if it turns out be incorrect, like when everyone thought that was Adam Warlock's cocoon thing in GOTG 1.

22. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I thought they would've gone with some smuggler-ly like "Smuggler's Origins" or "Smuggler's Begins".

23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, The Last Jedi is far from inspired as well, but it really doesn't make a ton of difference; people are gonna refer to this as the Han Solo movie anyway, might as well just roll with it.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Lonely-Wan Kenobi.

SWpants likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I am intensely disappointed it's not "Titled Han Solo Film".