main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    The impression I'm getting now is that being kicked out of the Imperial service and meeting Chewie are 2 different events now, unlike in Legends. Hmm...

2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    [​IMG]
    I feel like this movie is coming to us from a parallel universe where everything is the same except that Jack Nicholson played Han originally.

3. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    I forgot that they met in 5 BBY in Legends. I agree that 18 is better.
    So Han's quote in ESB is about 15 years later. 15 years ago, I was in high school, and I consider the people I met during that time as being connected to me from "quite some time ago." We didn't get into the shenanigans that Han and Lando did, so considering ~11 years of insanity + fighting over the Falcon + a 15-year friendship, it's enough to justify the 'way back.'

That is something that makes me sad. I loved that Legends plot.

4. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    I really can't work out the sequence of events for Solo yet. I assume him being a street racer and joining the Flight Academy is early on, and from there it'd go into heist mode with Woody offering him a job -- and Chewie's there by then. Being kicked out "for having a mind of my own" could still involve freeing a slave.

5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Woody offering him a job--watch closely. In the first trailer scenes there's a desert planet. Later on, when Chewie is there, it's snow. It's 2 scenes spliced in the trailer as one.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    True, but Woody's wearing the same clothes so I assume it's the same time period, at least -- considering the film's meant to span about eight years, I guess Han's already met Chewie by the time of both of those scenes.

7. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    I think that's one of the downsides of Kasdan writing this. He's good, but he peaked when this was cutting-edge storytelling, when men needed the death of a beautiful woman to permit themselves to show emotion.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    If nothing else, the costuming work in this thing looks pretty great.

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    but han is like the player 2 inverted version of TLJ Finn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which is either interesting or not

Revanfan1, BigAl6ft6, Daneira and 2 others like this.
  10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think one of the weirdest things about Solo compared to the EU is the implication that the characters have more than one change of clothes. [face_laugh]:D

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I think one of the weirdest things about Solo compared to the EU is the implication that the characters have more than one change of clothes. [face_laugh]:D

MercenaryAce likes this.
  12. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    I extend an apology. As it turns out Ford did consult with Alden and the production on Han. Good guess!

Giovs and Stymi like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Well it is Landos ship at that point ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Only now do I realize that Alden Ehenreich has blue yes, while Harrison Ford's are hazel...
    What is it with Star Wars characters and changing eye color?!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He obviously undergoes plastic surgery in the stunning conclusion to this movie.

"Han Solo's facial structure... is it canon?"

Stymi and BookExogorth like this.
  16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Alden Ehrenreich’s eyes does it contradict the OT?

Revanfan1, Nobody145, Vthuil and 7 others like this.
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Saw Gerrera has this happen too. I'm guessing that, just like Force users, Forceless also change eye color when calling on the dark side (just without the powers).

When Han becomes bitter and cynical, his eyes permanently change from blue to hazel, just like a Force user's eyes become yellow when their life is influenced by the dark side, bitterness, and hatred.

This will probably be a climactic scene happening after Qi'ra sells Han out for some money. And when Lando reveals he's been having an affair with Qi'ra, Han demolishes the Falcon's shiny interior in a rage while his eye color changes.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't Han get retinal surgery in the AC Crispin Han Solo trilogy to hide from the Hutts or something?

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Alden's face, hair, voice, and probably acting ability don't match Harrison Ford / Han Solo. Why would his eyes match?

20. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    But then, what is Han's eye color?

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This reminds me of the Marvel fan comic
    [​IMG]
    "Don’t feel bad, Scott. A lot of people suffer from multiple eye color syndrome."
    from http://waitingforthet.tumblr.com/

BigAl6ft6, Vthuil, AV-6R7 and 2 others like this.
  22. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    He did, to hide from Teorenza I think. Or to get his new clean identity to enlist in the Imperial Academy, something like that.

23. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I don't really need Alden to look like Han as much as have his mannerisms and physical/conversational quirks. It would be nice if Alden was more in the ballpark of Harrison, but the other attributes are more important to me.

Somebody posted a Solo fanfilm here earlier. The dude's hair was closer to OT Han, but nobody would mistake him for Harrison. Not that it was great acting, but he had enough of Han's quirks down to make it easier to accept him as Han.

Trying not to form an opinion based off a few bits in a trailer to the regard above.

Dr. Steve Brule, kalzeth and BobaMatt like this.
  24. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I think recasting in franchises is always going to be doomed if it always becomes a question of impersonation. I trust Kasdan to get the writing right, and for the much-ballyhooed acting coach to have helped Ehrenreich find enough of Ford to bridge the gap.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Jester J Binks likes this.
  25. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    Impersonation is a strong word. A good actor can become the personality as opposed to just parroting (parodying) it. For now, I'll also attribute that to the acting coach rumors. Simply that it wasn't that Alden couldn't act, but that he needed that fine tuning help to become Harrison Solo. LOL. Just realized Woody *Harrison* Ford. What a dopey thought.