main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Kasdan isn't quoted in the first article. In the second article it's just conjectured that Solo might be as expensive as Avengers: Infinity War, so it's not using th film's possible expense as a point against it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    There's no proof Kasdan said that, only what that article claims. He would have just quit if it actually was unworkable.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Its probably going to be fine. It looks good. I just hate to see these things pop up suggesting that it won't be good.

4. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well all of that stuff is months old.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If Solo actually ended up costing $400 million to make... that would just be shocking to me. That's just nuts, especially because from what we've seen in the movie, it just doesn't look like it's the most expensive movie ever made. Talk about sunken costs.

That being said I still find it hard to believe that the baseline The Old Republic game cost the same amount as The Dark Knight did to make.

comradepitrovsky and BobaMatt like this.
  6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Please don’t click on Movieweb. Seriously, they feed on clickbait trash. And yeah, Kasdan called his own script (and that of his son's) “unworkable”? Okay.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Classic movie site. There's no formal budget reported yet, so, like, it could be the most expensive movie ever.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Well if reports are to be believed they did effectively make the film twice

Daneira likes this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    you're misquoting the original post, which is just flame clickbait anyway, but the "unworkable" line is from an "A source close to the film’s production" unless you somehow know it's Lawrence Kasadan, which would be odd

wobbits and BobaMatt like this.
  10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    About Paul Bettany's character as portrayed in Empire magazine:

[​IMG]

If you ask me, which I wouldn't, that's totally Eeth Koth. First, Eeth Koth never died in either canon. He just keeps getting forgotten about. Second, look at those tats. Totally Eeth Koth. George Lucas didn't even try so hard when he tried to pass off Agen Kolar as Koth for a time. Because Lucas doesn't try, he just does or does not, and he decided to do not that round. Third, look at that scar thing on Bettany's head. Clearly he tried to remove his horns surgically. Fourth, someone's gonna say "but his eye color", but TCW got that wrong too. Fifth, just look at that bling; clearly he's also Snoke, which would give us a better Snoke story than we already have, since 1 > 0, and thus I have just statistically proven my opinion is fact.

Alas, we did not get the Michael Williams version, in which he played Oppo Rancisis Vos.

11. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I mean that logic is flawless. Also thank you! Did everyone just forget that Oppo does not have a death yet? I really want him to be the K'kruhk of the new canon.

Revanfan1 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  12. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Forget all this story stuff, has anyone actually played this yet:
    [​IMG]

Are the rules of sabacc anything like the old EU version?

Revanfan1, AusStig and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Fully! ANH starts with the "robots" as the audience identification character for about half an hour -- then we see people being totally "racist" against them with the mild exception of our "hero" who's still pretty halfhearted about it... and thereafter the droids remain favored characters but their rights are not only never addressed, but in direct opposition to the Force being a sort of "organics only" phenomenon.

This really ought to be the contradiction that's addressed in one of those new trilogies since it's been implicit from the start. Nobody's asking me, of course.

14. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Apparently, in this game, "players try to score as close to zero as they can with their cards. They can add or swap cards to improve their hand during each round, but rolling the dice and getting doubles will shake things up. At the end of a hand, the best score collects the most valuable bounty token." As close to zero? Why not 23/-23? Are they retconning Sabacc?

kalzeth likes this.
  15. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Re: droid rights - definitely read Last Shot.

Supreme Leader Woke likes this.
  16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's been canon for a while that the Falcon was won in a game of variant sabacc called "Corellian Spike," which also uses dice in some fashion as well. (Although I also get a kick out of the name on the box, the "Han Solo Card Game," and I've already established in my headcanon that that game of Corellian Spike became so famous in gambling circles that people stopped calling it that and started calling it the "Han Solo Card Game" instead.)

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    As mentioned above, I don't think Lawrence Kasdan would NOT call the script that he and his son Jon wrote "unworkable". It sounds like Larry had a problem working with Lord and Miller but at this point, but that's moot at this point because they were fired and production moved forward. What worries me is that we're pretty much 5 weeks away from the movie releasing and the tickets are NOT on sale yet.

ILM on twitter edited Paul Bettany holding his character's pop figure, making him look more like his character in the film, and Ron Howard tweeted at them essentially saying "get back to work, we have a movie to finish". I can't tell if he's joking or serious, but will the movie be finished on time? Is there a chance the movie gets pushed back or will they just release whatever they have done by the deadline? When does it need to be in the can comparable to its release date?

18. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There's a famous story about how the prints delivered to the Washington D.C. premiere of Star Trek: The Motion Picture were literally still wet from last-minute editing. I'm not an editor but in the digital age I'd imagine they could, in all likelihood, work on it right up to premiere day or very close to it if they really needed to.

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm sure they could too, but when they're finished don't they need to make copies of the original to then distribute to each movie theater? I don't know how long it takes to make copies, but just the time it takes for it to be distributed not only to all the theaters in the US, but around the world should take probably a week. It's premiering at Cannes May 15th and it premieres in Paris on the 23rd. Even if it is "Air Mail", optimistically it'll take 7-10 days. Heck, I ordered something from China and it's supposed to be here in 12 days. It feels like they're running out of time. I'm curious when their hard stop day is.

20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    New TV spot

Going by all promo material so far, including this spot too, Glover is fantastic as Lando, he even pronounces Han the way Lando did in TESB (check 00:35 mark)!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee and Kylun like this.
  21. The Raddinator

The Raddinator Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2017
    At this point, there is absolutely no way whatsoever that it is not finished in time. There's zero chance they would have announced Cannes so rcently if they didn't think that it would be ready.

Barriss_Coffee and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  22. nancipants

nancipants Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 16, 2017
    Okay but the most important part of this commercial is L3 saying "You done flirting?"

23. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I'm looking forward to him slithering out of hiding once Rey's NJO has dealt with Kylo &co.

"Hey, y'all. What did I miss?"

Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  24. Ginkasa

Ginkasa Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 13, 2002
    Nevermind. Didn't realize I hadn't read all the way yet.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I finally realized what this movie feels like to me - Star Trek '09. Combination remake/prequel with younger cast and glossier values that's something completely new, but will still have a lot of references to the original work (in this case, the old EU).