main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sorry, but this event and line will only be reserved for the one and only K'Kruhk, who did the exact same thing in Legends. ;)
    The problems with Star Trek 2009, despite being financially successful, can still hit this film. Basically the film became a checklist of Kirk's known life before his debut in TOS (with timeline changes) with Kobayashi Maru, meeting Spock, naming McCoy Bones, down to the extreme of literally being promoted to cadet to Captain.

There's the danger Solo will also go this route, running through the checklist of the Kessel Run, winning the Falcon, freeing Chewie, and getting into debt with Jabba all in 2 hours. If Han gets into debt with Jabba, it's ridiculous if it's still ongoing 10 years after it happened in ANH.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    Oh god, I re-watched this movie the other night and that scene sent me on a complete rant. "Bones" is a pre-existing nickname for a doctor! It is short for "Sawbones"! It is very anachronistic slang by Kirk's time, which is why it's funny! It has nothing to do with a weird kinda misogynistic divorce story (that doesn't make any sense in a post-scarcity world).

3. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I didn't get any misogynistic vibes from Bones at all. He had just gotten out of a failed relationship that damaged him emotionally--maybe he was wrong to say his "ex-wife got the whole planet" in his anger, but both men and women say not great things in the immediate aftermath of a traumatic incident. It's only if he continues such behavior on females that it would become a problem, but I didn't see that. I was more dismayed by Kirk's awful behavior towards Uhura (constantly asking her her name) than anything Bones said.

Bones' problem seems to be his constant tirades against Vulcans that really borders on speciesm.

4. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    It's not necessarily Bones acting misogynistic, it's the writers. Statistically, men see their economic futures rise after a divorce, while women's fall. The trope is what's misogynistic, it's lazy, it reinforces lies, and it makes no sense in a society where private property is increasingly a thing of the past.

In-universe, though, yeah, Bones' major character flaw is his weird racism toward Vulcans.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So what's the story on no novelization?

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    The whole "teasing out events to happen in other films" has led to a lot of nowhere dead end franchise starter attempts. Why the heck can't all of Han's important backstory happen in one movie. Or even an extremely limited amount of time that progresses in the film itself (all of his woes that he has when Luke and Obi-Wan meet him in Mos Eisely stem from one botched job). If we're only going to get one Han Solo movie, I want the whole damn thing thank you very much.

7. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Well the film is about a specific story within Han's life. Yes it's gonna be jumping around a bit, but it still all seems to directly connect to the events and characters of this heist. Why pack everything into one story? That often just leads to things feeling like they happened way to fast, and can make certain events in a character's life seem less important due to so many things happening at once.

Han meeting Lando would feel less important if it took place during Han's rescue of Chewie as well as the dumping of the spice.

8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't mind if everything happened at once in one film, dude had a real busy week. Faster! More intense!

vncredleader likes this.
  9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I guess that's fair. The ST has taken place over an extended weekend so far after all. By the end of TLJ Finn was a FO stormtrooper mere hours prior

kalzeth likes this.
  10. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I don't know what's been officially stated or not, but a friend of mine actually plotted out everything from not only the movies but the various relevant tie-in stuff (novelizations, Phasma and DJ comics, Battlefront II expansion, etc.) and his takeaway is that from the start of TFA to the end of TLJ is ten days.

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I thought it could be interesting if the Sequel Trilogy was basically a week long Star War but nothing at the end of Last Jedi seems to indicate a need to pick up from the exact ending like Last Jedi did.

Actually, to get nitipicky, there's a Rose IDW adventure comic that seems to be set right in between the end of Rey leaving the Resistance base and the arrival of the First Order, and since there was clearly time to get some people up into space (and Leia's change of clothes as well) and, by contrast, Rey picks up the second she gives the lightsaber to Luke. But also we see Rey spend at least 2 days on Ach-To so maybe her first night crashing outside of Luke's hut is when the IDW/start of TLJ happens. (also the general indeterminate amount of time Rey and Chewie's hyperspace trip to Ach-To took but I always just think hyperspace is, like, a few hours at most)

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Man......those character's must be so exhausted. Poe needs a long a** nap

Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  13. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Saw the latest TV spot on Instagram and, while I've never thought it necessary for Alden Ehrenreich to do a Harrison Ford impression and was happy to see he and Ron Howard have made the choice not to make him beholden to that, I am delighted to discover that Donald Glover is going full Billy Dee.

Okay, not full, but even in this trailer he seems to have done a really smart job of borrowing just the right things from Williams' characterization. The way he yells "Han" - naturally, in Lando's unique pronunciation - reminds me so much of the sarlaac pit.

14. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
  15. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    As has been stated, the article you posted doesn't actually contain a statement from Kasdan.

Link1130 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  16. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Yeah, but how awesome would it be if Kasdan went on the SWS of all places to trash-talk his new movie?

"With Empire, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens under your belt, you're one of the few real 'experts' on writing Han Solo out there. How is Solo different from what we've seen before?"
    "It's just a terrible movie. The script is unworkable. It'll probably kill my son's career, if we're being honest here. It's an unfilmable mess. How do you write a movie when one of the main characters is a Chewbacca? It just grunts like a 90s Tim Allen. This was my son's idea. The whole movie was his idea. I really just put my name on it to help him out. My son's career should suffer for this grotesque, self-awareness lacking, parody of what a movie is supposed to be, not mine. I was just doing what any father would do in my position. Someone else along the way was supposed to say no. Kathy. Bob. Someone. Why didn't anyone say no? Stay home people. Donald Glover was great as Lando, though. A real star."
    "Donald Glover is great in everything. Can you tell us anymore about these cute looking creatures we saw in the trailer?"- Andi Gutiertez and Lawrence Kasdan on this week's Mirror Universe Star Wars Show, maybe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

17. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    No one in Hollywood is going to tell the truth. It would destroy their career and black list them. Maybe you'll read something someday in an autobiography or memoir, but by that point it's like "hmm that's interesting" or "that makes sense" and then everyone goes back to not caring.

18. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    Let’s be real, when Lawrence Kasdan’s posthumous tell-all is published thirty-some years from now, @Yunzabit will be the first to tell us all about it. ;)

Daneira likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Kasdan should say: Why does everyone act like I am some Han Solo expert? I'm just his number one fan. The character was created and developed long before I showed up.

If anything, I am a Yoda expert. ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  20. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015

Thank-you. This is HILARIOUS. I laughed so hard and it made my crummy day turn around.

Darth_Duck likes this.
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    So I was thinking, the three movies so far of the Disney era all have Apocalypse Now references. How will they keep the streak going in Solo?

22. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    With a messy, convoluted production process?

23. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Harrison Ford was in A-Poc Now, so there's a tangential similarity.

Also, there's a new UK poster for the movie:

[​IMG]

Is it just me, or does it at first look like Lando has a broken arm?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Barriss_Coffee, Kylun and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  24. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Notice how prominent the blasters are on this poster.

25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    The whole time I'm just going to be seeing it as Troy from Community pretending to be Lando and waiting for Abed dressed as Batman to show up