main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'll wait and see. Luke didnt even bat an eye at Jakku despite its importance hyped up in the new eu. With resistance cartoon coming its hard to see how they'll hold to no open war against the fo. Finn was a major officer material in the books but a nobody new trooper in 7. The point is, im not impressed with the disconnect between new films and new eu

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

AusStig, kalzeth and unicorn like this.
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Well this is just moving the goal posts. They are small inconsistencies (some not even inconsistencies).

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    God I want to see what's under these spoiler posts. I'm having to type this while looking away from my monitor so I don't read the plain text.

vncredleader likes this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Im not sure if im the one moving goalposts when I was promised in 7 in this board that luke had a good reason for hiding, then told in 8 on this board that moping is actually a gokd reason (ironically by the people who told me a few years ago he was definitely not moping). How many times do I have to be burned by the new films, get fooled, get told I wasnt really fooled and that its really getting better?

This is getting off topic on solo honestly. Im seeing this film, because unlike 9 which I wont give money too, I feel there is hope for solo. But I have my right to my doubts, its my money.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

5. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    You have the right to not see or do whatever you like for whatever reasons you have.

Everyone else has the right to say whether those reasons are good or bad and judge you accordingly.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    True, but ive already wasted a good deal of money on new canon because people were judging me, told me my reasons for doubting new canon was bad etc. Now that money is gone and it's not coming back. At some point, I have to make a call if I value people's judgements of me or my money. No offense to those people, but the money I earn at my job takes precedence over judgements of people that ended up not working out for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

AusStig, kalzeth, SWpants and 2 others like this.
  7. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, that seems fair.

sidv88 likes this.
  8. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Again you found new goal post. This is how it's gone

a) You said that the creating small inconsistencies would lead to them overwriting entire tracks of canon.

b) You back this with yet more small inconsistencies.

c) You then suggest them not creating the story you want is somehow 'evidence' they will override canon..?

9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Have a nice day, but im done with this conversation. Maybe they will contradict canon, maybe they won't. You think they won't, I think they will. Let's leave it at that because these goalpost moving lines are going nowhere.

Enjoy solo.

10. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    You aren't being "burned" by the new films if you're being "promised" things by fans. You can't be promised something "in 7" if that promise is coming, as you say, from "this board" rather than the film itself. The films didn't "promise" anything about Luke as far as I know. I'm not really sure how you can blame other fans for what you choose to spend your money on.

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    True, it's interesting how, especially in the Aftermath of 7, there was so much faith in the filmmakers by posters here that they could speak on their behalf that Luke wan't hiding, they definitely have a plan etc. So you're speaking on the "Fool me once" element, and I admit to being fooled. "Fool me twice"--not going to happen, no matter how many people here tell me my opinion is incorrect etc about the new material (and if you look at just on this thread and the 8 thread, several people in multiple posts go out of the way to tell you you are incorrect if you feel 8 is bad etc).

The below is key to my argument, it has no real spoiler for Solo but I'm tagging it just to be safe.

Just on this very thread, there is absolute 100% faith here that a certain arc of Rebels (a fictional tv show that even introduces time travel as a plot device for changing things) won't be retconned, as if they can see the future. This is what I'm talking about. I didn't even mention a particular poster when I made my offhand comment Rebels might have a good chance of being retconned, but then my posts were immediately targeted and hyperanalyzed, I was accused of "moving goalposts" etc. I literally had to cut off the conversation with a "I'm done, have a nice day".

THIS is what I'm talking about when I'm saying I got "fooled"--the exact sort of thing happened to me when I expressed doubts about 7 and new canon, I was told I was "moving goalposts" and other forms of shaming, and I wasted my money. It's happening again--I'm not giving in.
    Note when I criticize material, I always criticize the material and not the poster. I don't use the "you're moving goalposts argument" unless someone uses it on me first since I feel it's an attack on the poster and not the material. In fact, I'm regretting arguing "who's moving goalposts?" a few posts ago because it just plays into this game. I try as hard as I can to keep this on the material. This whole issue started a few posts ago when I was criticizing a possible future direction of SW, and immediately I myself was targeted with "moving goalposts" etc even though I never mentioned a single poster.

I didn't want to have to write this out and I'm not naming any names. I made an offhand comment that SW might take a future direction and that's fine if you don't agree, I don't think I need to be accused of "moving goalposts" or whatever. In all my life (government labs, graduate school, international travel) I never even heard of that phrase before I came here (it's been used on this board multiple times for years), it's frightening.

Let's talk about Solo.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    They aren't going to tease a character as popular as Maul and do nothing with him. Will they undo another one of his deaths to make it happen? I don't know, there is plenty of space between RotS and his death in rebels to slot a movie in, but forcing the casual movie going fan to look into a secondary source for the fate of thier favorite movie characters was a big part of why the EU had to go, so........

it would be pretty easy to just say "Maul didn't die he just fell unconscious from the stab wound and fatigue from wandering the desert. Obi-Wan lets him live because Maul is content with knowledge that Luke would kill Sidious and leaves peacefully, So now we get to make our crime boss Maul films."

Makes more sense than his original resurrection at any rate.

Hopeless and AusStig like this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Something I thought I'd never say, but this may actually be the first Star Wars movie since the very beginning that I'm not going to bother seeing in the theaters (yes, I saw the PT each once in the theater. And no, I'm not counting the Clone Wars 'movie')

As much as I really wanted to see Donald Glover as Lando on the big screen, recent reviews mention his minimal presence - and I'm confident that a Lando movie will be made.
    But the movie is answering the question that no one asked - where the name "Solo" came from - and answering it with a lame joke that was straight out of the Star Wars Holiday Special (for those of you who haven't seen the latter, I'm not kidding one bit. Art Carney's character makes the joke)
    I don't think it's going to be the worst Star Wars movie, far from it. And this isn't the sole reason (no pun intended), just the proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. I'll catch it when it hits Redbox or streaming services. I'm not spending movie theater movie on it, though.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I don't agree with your issues but totally understand not seeing solo from spoilers. I will see it because the issues you mentioned aren't gamebreakers for me, but I understand that they are for you. We are in a time now, for those of us let down a few times, where we have to read spoilers to make judgements on whether to give the dollar vote. The franchise loyalty I had--it was for a different canon and a different owner, and now im going on a case by case basis and understand others doing the same.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    For what it’s worth you aren’t the only one. Iv no interest in seeing this movie or 9 for that matter. If it pops up on Netflix I may give it a go but otherwise no.

Iv not been a fan of the Disney buy out.
    They clearly have no idea what to do and outside of squeezing everylast dollar they can, have no real story ideas or interest in going forward for Starwars.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    I wonder how upset people were when The Godfather Part II came out and revealed... things.

connor413 and Jedi Princess like this.
  17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Exactly! I'm certainly not telling other people not to see if it interests them.
    In all fairness, part of it is just how expensive going the movies is nowadays. I probably would've have still gone to Solo back in the PT days.

18. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    What did GFP2 reveal exactly ?

19. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    That "Corleone" is a name bestowed by an immigration officer rather than the "real name" of the family

Jedi Princess likes this.
  20. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    It’s the name of the Town Vitto is from. That’s hardly comparable

21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    At first I was surprised to get a hugely literal response on the Star Wars forum... but then, actually, I wasn't.

22. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    [face_plain]

sidv88 likes this.
  23. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
  24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Wish there was more EU material like back in the day. We could have Pyke characters who aren't stereotypical spice lords. The EU expanded Hutts, Rodians, Trandoshans etc to be more than just their stereotypical underworld figures in the movies, and new works could do the same for the Pykes.

I'd even argue for having a Pyke Jedi, but then s/he'd just get killed by Kylo Ren. :( The Pyke Jedi would have to be one of Rey's recruits, or an Old Republic Jedi to live long enough to become a meaningful character.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  25. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    I understand. Sure thing all the Pykes can't be only spice dealers and criminals.
    You never can have too many Pykes. Do it!

Also I wish TCW wasn't cancelled. I'm so mad that a chance to see a female Pyke and the little Pykes was lost (Dark Disciple, Pykes arcs "ahsoka underground adventures etc).
    ~~~~~~~~
    Dee Tails has confirmed that he plays the role of Quay Tolsite; and he also loves the Pykes♡

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    AusStig and sidv88 like this.