main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    They should have someone say "The spice must flow!" as a shout out to the Dune movie...

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    Hypatia, MercenaryAce, Gamiel and 4 others like this.
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Haven't been keeping up with the thread, but I just saw it tonight. I'm not under any sort of spoiler embargo so I can answer questions behind spoiler tags if people want, or something.

As usual though my recommendation is always to see the movie unspoiled.

Darth Caliban and cookeycat like this.
  3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Think I could get a general, non-spoilery ranking?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Ranking, like compared to other Star Wars movies? I don't know -- I haven't really had time to process where it stands in the larger SW universe, and I also think that any such ranking would be completely subjective to my own personal preferences anyway.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I hope it's not too loaded a question, but were there elements you felt AC Crispin did better, and were there elements you felt the movie did better? I don't mind seeing spoilers for the movie.

Force Smuggler and kalzeth like this.
  6. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    More like a 1-10 ranking.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  7. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Think you're looking for the word "rating" not "ranking". :)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, uh. 7? It's fine I guess.

9. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Yeah, that would probably have been clearer. :D

10. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    @GrandAdmiralJello
    cat has a question, you don't mind me asking :3
    What was Quay Tilsite's role in the film? Is it true that he died? (did qira kill him?)
    Have you seen any other Pykes? Any info about the Pykes?
    Gratias tibi ago.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    @GrandAdmiralJello
    So...
    Colin Cantwell has posted that his Imperial Arrestor Cruiser design has been cut from the film (again!) after all; can't it be seen in there at all?

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Pykes are involved on Kessel — and I don’t know who Quay is, but if he’s the boss Pyke then yes, Qi’ra takes him down. He may just be unconscious though —not sure.

i do not recall seeing that funky design at all. :(

cookeycat likes this.
  13. cookeycat

cookeycat Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 17, 2016
    Yes. That guy wearing black robes. There's a picture of him on the previous page.
    I see. Thank you so much for the information.

14. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    @GrandAdmiralJello
    Is it true Han freeing Chewie is now a common escape of convenience? I am really hoping this one is fake, but it sounded legit. Han freeing Chewie from slavery at the cost of his own job goes all the way back to even before the modern EU, when my Super Star Wars strategy guide from 1992 says that's what happened. Is the story where Han gave up a promising military career because of freeing Chewie really gone now? It sounds like Han would have left the Empire anyway now in this movie, Chewie or no.

Also, is Maul fan-servicey? What is mean is that I read that he literally ignites his lightsaber when holo-chatting with Qi'ra, which as far as I heard literally has no bearing on the conversation--he has no reason to ignite it. It sounds like fourth-wall breaking material, if that's what he does so maybe the rumor he ignites it is incorrect?

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Hypatia and kalzeth like this.
  15. What Are The Odds

What Are The Odds Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2016
    Haven't been here for so long I forgot my username. Right. I will not watch this movie.

16. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    I would probably stroke out if that happened.

And really - it would be a shout out to the 6 books written by Herbert. The Lynch movie is an interesting interpretation of what Herbert put on paper. Personally, the Syfy miniseries do more for me than Lynch’s film.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    The actual line was not in the books I think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Both are true. With Han, it looks like he never intended to have a career as a gallant soldier or what. That said, the film doesn’t portray him as purely mercenary and out for himself. It’s the reverse, possibly.

As for Maul, bleh.

SWpants likes this.
  19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Thanks for the answer!

20. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Cool story bro

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup. "keep the spice flowing" is used as the term for the supplying of spice from Arrakis though.

page 452:

Paul turned to look at the Emperor, said: "When they permitted you to mount your father's throne, it was only on the assurance that you'd keep the spice flowing. You've failed them, Majesty. Do you know the consequences?"

Hypatia, Gamiel and tatooinesandworm like this.
  22. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    No need to derail the thread any further - yes you are correct, the line is from the movie. I just don’t consider it Herbert’s Dune and I expressed myself improperly.

I really am looking forward to learning more about Moloch, The Pykes, and the White Worm gang. Hopefully some Dune references are present.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    OK, I'm going to pick up on the big leak, click the box in full knowledge of that:

Maul has a cameo, which appears to be generating a fair bit of controversy and I'm not really seeing it.

Doing this is a very ballsy move, as it sends people towards the combo of both The Clone Wars and Rebels, for that is where Maul's story both continues and concludes. I haven't seen Disney do something like this before, it's good to see as why bother having a shared universe structure if you don't actually use it to benefit stories? TLJ didn't do that for me, but this sounds closer to the kind of thing they did on Rogue One.

Still can't say I'm sold enough to see it in the flicks, but I see most of my films on Blu-Ray first these days anyway.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    My local bookstore called me to come in and pick up some books today, one of which was the Solo visual guide. Which is awesome (they never sell me street-dated stuff early) except that I am trying to stay somewhat spoiler free this time around so it is a huge temptation.

SWpants likes this.
  25. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Maul being in the movie itself isn't a bad move. But it's how it's done (from what I've heard so far) that seems so clumsy.

No indication is given on why Palpatine and Vader aren't taking Maul out? Palpatine sensed Maul across the galaxy in TCW. (Palpatine also specifically said he had other uses for Maul in mind in TCW). Unless Palpatine planned for Maul to be a crime lord all along, which is doubtful.

Next, Maul showed no signs of being a former crime lord in his Rebels appearances. He didn't "get the band" back together. He went to hunt Obi-Wan Kenobi somewhere on Tatooine all by himself without getting any help. Not even asking Jabba from one crime lord to another.

Also, I read that Maul literally ignites his lightsaber in a holochat with Qi'ra. Unless he has enemies out of holocam range, there's just no reason for him to do that. It's fourth wall breaking in a bizarre way, why not just go "Hi audience, it's me Darth Maul!"

Maybe it will get better when I see it; hopefully there's at least a plan to get Maul from Solo to Malachor. It probably involves his gang all dying or breaking with him, as there's no sign of the Crimson Dawn helping Maul in Rebels.

SWpants and kalzeth like this.