main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    In all the posts from people who’ve seen the movie, Iv not read Jabba’s name, is he not in the movie at all then ?

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Except Han really isn't a different character. The fact that he escapes with Chewie in a different way doesn't change anything about his character.

As for Lando, why is him being a cheater that big of a leap... he is ultimately always out for himself.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There's two references to a "big time gangster" on Tatooine, but he is neither seen nor named.

4. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Be still my Legends heart, that was a treat of references!

Enjoyed the movie a lot, it has a slow start but it grows on you. It's not without problems, though. Here are some thoughts.
    • Lando truly brings a-game when we first see him and I thought the films becomes more rounded then. When he mentions book titles and actually holorecords fanfic about himself... [chef's kiss emoji]
    • Acting is pretty good all around; Ehrenreich did much better than everyone gave him credit, with some pretty neat Harrison / OT Han impressions. Glover was superb, but Clarke's performance was somewhat deadpan-y.
    • Lovecraftian horror in the Maw was neat.
    • What happened to Val?! Couldn't believe how early she got killed off; half expected her to turn out to be a new Enfys under the mask.
    • Maulefant in the room. Did not see that coming, glad I didn't get spoiled. A bunch of us who watched Rebels were excited-surprised, the people next to us in the cinema were wtf-surprised. In the end, not sure if that was truly needed. It's a twist, played for shock cause that's what audiences expect nowadays, yet it doesn't really contribute much to the story. Really want to see it again, to see how it holds up. He really didn't have to ignite the lightsaber when talking to Qi'Ra, that was a very "hey guys check out my Rebels swag" move.
    • RIP Aura Sing :( Loved the mention though, and I'm here for all the fanfiction about how Lando owes her money!
    • L3 was fun though I feel like she didn't get as much screen time as I had hoped. Droid Liberation Front / droid rights etc is something that would be super fun to explore, but here it was kind of played for laughs. Does it count as the Stuffed into the Fridge trope if she's a droid?
    • And so L3 is a part of the Falcon. Half expected for her remains to become Lobot. A piece of her head-casing does kind of look like Lobot's headgear.

connor413, BigAl6ft6, Kylun and 4 others like this.
  5. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Maybe Lando owes Aurra child support :eek:

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    "Sir, I don't know where your ship learned to communicate, but it has the most peculiar dialect."

I agree that the lightsaber ignition was not needed but I think that was just driving the point home to general audiences that, yes, this IS Darth Maul, not some other new Zabrak-and-they-happen-to-all-look-that-way.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    For a sec there I thought it was the Tonnika sisters, but I think it's another name.

:eek: Sign me up for Sing-Calrissian A Star Wars Story! (Starring Tessa Thompson please)

kalzeth and tatooinesandworm like this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    And I, for a moment, thought it was the Pike sisters. But it really was the "Xan sisters."

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    I'd like to express how I feel about the end of the movie using what's increasingly become my default mode of expressing emotion: A poorly-made Simpsons ****post.

[​IMG]

Todd the Jedi , B3, AusStig and 6 others like this.
  10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Since some have expressed no desire to see this movie because of Maul - he appears for one minute as a hologram at the end of the movie. Yeah, it's dumb, but in no way does it make or break an otherwise perfectly fun two hours plus film. It's not worth skipping this movie because of this.

connor413, BigAl6ft6, Kylun and 7 others like this.
  11. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    They probably took the word Kanji from Japanese because they liked it phonetically, but it has nothing to do with gangs or crime. The word literally means Han (Chinese) characters :)

You do have tones in Chinese, four in fact, which are very important in the language, as different tones completely change the meaning of the word. There's a famous tongue twister that illustrates this really well "Māmā qí mǎ. Mǎ màn, māmā mà mǎ." (妈妈骑马。马慢, 妈妈骂马), meaning “Mother is riding a horse. The horse is slow, mother scolds the horse.”

But the meaning of the character you use when transcribing foreign words into Chinese characters also matters. In general, the Chinese always try to use positive characters, especially for things like names and countries, not to offend anyone. So even if there is a character that has the same phonetic sound as something you want to transcribe, if the character means something negative, like ugly for example, you tend not to use it and try to find a different character instead that is pronounced the same way.

La Calavera likes this.
  12. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    After reading the spoilers my instincts of not giving Disney money, to see this seem correct

SWpants likes this.
  13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If the review thread is anything to go by, you're making a mistake not giving it a watch.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Re: the reveal.
    I don't know why having Maul in this is supposed to be dumb, necessarily. It felt like a set-up for possible follow up in the future, which...seems reasonable! He's the perfect sort of character to be the big-bad in stories that don't heavily feature the Empire, and placing him at the head of a scary crime syndicate - that may or may not actually be allied with the Empire at this point - is a strong choice that may pay off.

15. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well the reviews seem to say it’s ok but forgettable. Il probably see it when it comes out on Netflix etc

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    [​IMG]

Solid 7-9 range.

JediBatman and tatooinesandworm like this.
  17. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    It's a mid-tier Star Wars film with an undercooked script, but I will give the film credit...it's the first Star Wars film that to me perfectly captured the feel of the Bantam era EU novels.

kalzeth and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  18. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    RE: Maul. I’m sorry, TCW can say whatever they want. He was in two pieces. There must have been intestines falling everywhere! You don’t get to come back from being bisected.

Unless the legs survived too, and built a robotic upper half, seeking revenge....

19. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I've always been ok with Maul coming back, at least since watching Revenge of the Sith and all the talk of the Sith abusing the Dark Side to do unnatural and Eldritch things that violate the natural order. To me, Maul surviving such a gruesome and grotesque wound is very in keeping with the Plagueis lore Lucas introduced.

20. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I really disliked the Maul cameo, the whole Maul coming back thing is what I liked the least with CW and Rebels. Still it was such a small camoe that I have no problem ignoring it

21. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Interesting thought.
    Maybe Palpatine teached Maul the secrets he learnt from Plagueis, but not Vader...

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  22. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    I really don't get this beef with Maul being alive. This came after so many Sith Lords in the EU managed to survive grievous wounds (including the original, Vader). What's so different about Maul? In a space fantasy where a dude was dropped into a volcano and survived, how is Maul any different? He's just one in a long line of Sith Lords who are bodily scarred in some major way. Every Sith Lord in canon has survived something that would kill any other person (Sidious scarred by his own lightning, Darth Vader cut up and burned to a crisp, now Maul and a bisection--which in real life a person could survive but God forbid that happen in-universe.

It's just another one of those tiny, miniscule things that people have built fortresses around in their minds and they won't let the possibility be entertained.

23. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It's something to think about, because Maul was his first apprentice and unlike in Legends he wasn't just a dark side assassin, he was a genuine student in the whole larger Sith dynasty. He might have been exposed to some different things as a child than either Anakin or Dooku. Plus, they did make the point that surviving didn't really do him too many favours, it drove him insane and fairly wretched before Talzin and her own powers restored some of his mind. His existence didn't really seem....great.

It's actually something I hope they play with more; weird Dark Side stuff that shows how disturbing it is compared to the Light.

24. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm really looking forward to
    Solo Returns
    Solo Forever
    Solo & Chewy

MrDarth0 and The2ndQuest like this.
  25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Lightsabers cauterize wounds ;)

JediBatman and tatooinesandworm like this.