main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Its first usage in canon is in TCW - a droid humming it in Season 1.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yayyyyy I finally saw this last night! You guys are great because I went in almost entirely spoiler-free. The only things I saw leaked on the other threads were like, stuff in Dryden's room and Maul.

I will guiltily say I liked it more than Rogue One, although if I see it a few more times, maybe my mind will change. This was like reading a book from the old EU that got made into a movie (make that a Luceno book where everything's a reference to something else). There was so much stuff I didn't know would be namedropped or used in some way.

And used effectively, especially if you know the EU:
    -Beckett wants to retire and play music on Glee Anselm. We know from the EU, he probably wants to play music on the beach that Glee Anselm is famous for (also his end in this film is sadder when you know that part about the beach...)
    -Teras Kasi -- not just a name drop. First you don't even see it happen, but you know something amazingly cool happened (sorry CookeyPyke fanatic). Then later it comes in as the amazing final duel. I watched the movie with a friend who knows nothing about the EU and she was like "I want to know how Q'ira became a ninja" after, and I'm like, "I CAN TALK ABOUT TERAS KASI WITH NORMAL PEOPLE NOW!"
    -Aurra Sing -- this is actually more than a name drop. Lando wasn't going to help them until he spoke with Beckett about Aurra Sing (which was an equally great setup for a comic or video game plot -- What does Lando owe Aurra? What exactly happened with Beckett and Aurra's battle?)
    -Xim the Despot skull, Sith Holocron, Dancing Goddess, other random items on display in Dryden's room -- more than fancy objects to be destroyed. More than random EU eyecandy. These are items that mark a seriously dangerous villain's lair.
    -Kessel -- OMG I didn't know there'd be a breakout on Kessel! That was brilliant. And it actually looked like the old Kessel. That might have been my favorite part of the movie, just because it felt like the entire sequence was directly out of the EU (*warm fuzzy nostalgia*)
    -The Maw -- I had heard some rumors a while back this would be mentioned in the movie, but I didn't think it would play such a massive role. (No pun intended)
    -Dathomir -- my first thought when this was namedropped by Maul wasn't "Hey, Courtship of Princess Leia!" but rather, "TCW/Rebels advertisement!" Like they could have had a little asterisk as a footnote on the bottom of the screen stating "To find out more, watch Star Wars on the Disney Channel!"

(although more seriously, this HAS to be after the Rebels episode where Maul "died". So what happened here, canon-wise? Do we know that yet?)

and my favorite:
    -The Calrissian Chronicles -- Was that... the Mindharp of Sharu being narrated as an in-universe fanfiction??? That had to be one of the most randomly unexpected things I've ever seen in any movie.

I'm behind in this thread almost 30 pages.... will need to catch up. I have a feeling a lot is about how much the movie made at the box office. Oh well. I'm more interested in all the random EU stuff I didn't catch the first time around.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not. Officially, Solo begins in 13 BBY and ends in 10 BBY. That Rebels episode was set in 2 BBY.

sidv88, Revanfan1, kalzeth and 2 others like this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Solo is set roughly 5 or so years before Rebels, not after, so it's before Maul's final death on Tatooine in Twin Suns.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    sidv88 likes this.
  5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While the word "Mindharp" is not used on-screen The Visual Guide confirms that the first part of the Calrissian Chronicles is "a caper involving the Mindharp of Sharu".

6. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Oh my gosh. I totally missed, somehow, that that conversation was about Aurra Sing! I missed Lando saying her name or something, but I thought he was just talking about some random bounty hunter. Holy frick, I...wow.

7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I probably would have missed it but I was watching it in a country with subtitles (I probably would have missed Glee Anselm and "Sharu" too if it weren't for that). I have to see it again (someone correct me), but Lando goes "You killed Aurra Sing!" and Beckett corrects him that he "pushed" her and didn't see the body. So they a) artfully avoid killing Aurra in an offhand reference, b) get in a "didn't see the body" joke, and c) make an Aurra Sing reference that actually has significance to the overall story.

Seriously this movie's use of GFFA references is brilliant!

What, direct onscreen reference to "Sharu" and their pyramid isn't enough for you, Professor?:p

That reminds me, other things I thought were awesome and didn't mention:

-Starcave: I almost missed that one because it happened so fast at the end of the film, but that was also great.
    -The Sabacc game: The commercials built up the game near the middle of the film as being The Game where Han wins the Falcon. Ending the movie with The Game wasn't only fitting, but it was more satisfying because Han's actions throughout the film earned him the Falcon. (although I do wonder if Lando is going to want it back now that we know some of L3 is one of the computers inside... could be an interesting point to follow in Episode IX)
    -The "most important" lesson Beckett doesn't have time to tell Han: I didn't catch this until I was walking out of the theater thinking about it later, and I feel dumb.

Beckett was a lot more consistent with his lessons than Luke ever was in TLJ. :p

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Glad to see you liked it. The second I heard Aurra and the other TPM references I knew you would adore this film. Seriously the Teras Kasi reference may have been the biggest one for me, it is so....not random but natural and unexpected at the same time. I have heard people say this film is like a moving visual guide, in a disparaging war; however I think a lot of us would agree that that is part of why it was great. Nothing in live action has ever felt so unabashedly a part of the GFFA.

Also did you catch the Colo Claw Fish line in the theater? I caught the line but had no idea that was the fish from TPM. When even the freaking appetizers in the film are deep pulls you know the film is special

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    kalzeth, Barriss_Coffee and Kylun like this.
  9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think I've mentioned my favorite EU reference in this thread yet, so quoting from here:

What made you think this happened after the Rebels episode?

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Yes! I forgot that one. I swear this was like reading a Luceno or Jason Fry book.

I didn't know when Rebels was based besides Leia and Lando's cameos, or when exactly this film was based. I was under the impression it was around the same time, but that this couldn't have been too many years before ANH, based on Han's comment about Tatooine at the end. I can see checking the internet that the official take is 10 years, but I didn't know that when I saw the film because I was trying to be spoiler-free.

Iron_lord and vncredleader like this.
  11. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I have been talking Solo a few different places on the Internet so I don't know if I mentioned this here already, but my favorite little trivia drop in the film was Dryden Vos eating the "Colo claw fish." It works on so, so many levels.

[​IMG]

Eating something that big and dangerous that has to be fished from the core of a planet establishes Vos' incredible wealth. The last thing we saw eat a Colo claw fish was a 200 meter long aqua monster, so in addition to his wealth, it establishes the kind of power and predation he embodies.

It also invokes Qui-Gon's line from that sequence. "There's always a bigger fish." Qui-Gon says this before learning who is behind the uncharacteristically bold tactics of the Trade Federation; he finds his "bigger fish" when attacked by a Sith assassin on Tatooine. And who's the bigger fish in this movie? Introduced in hologram, just like his master at the beginning of The Phantom Menace?

Love it.

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I know, I'll cast Summon Bigger Fish!

13. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    That sounds like a dangerous spell. What if you get a fish you didn’t want? Or what if the spell just keeps endlessly producing bigger and bigger fish, Because ‘there’s always a bigger fish’?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    I know this post is old, but just wanted to add that Ron Howard has finally clarified that Qi'ra's final moments in the movie were altruistic and self-sacrificing:

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/15-things-learned-solo-star-wars-story-ron-howard/

3) Howard sees Qi’ra’s final motivation as tragic and altruistic
    [​IMG]

Instead of jetting off with Han in the Falcon at the end of the film, Qi’ra sticks around on Dryden Vos’ space-yacht for a quick space-Skype with Maul. The scene’s been interpreted by some as a power-grab move, but Howard sees it differently. "In my mind, she knew she couldn't run off with Han. It would be his death and hers,” he reckons. “She set him up to go, assuring him that she'd follow, but knowing she couldn't really. She had to clean this situation up as best as she could. I think she hoped she could report in and then disappear, but [Maul] trapped her. He said, 'Come to Dathomir and we're going to be working closely together', and you realise, 'Oh my god, she's traded one oppressive boss in for an even scarier dude'. In a way it fuels her ambition and puts her in a position of heightened power, perhaps. Or heightened danger. I thought it was kind of courageous for her."

15. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Han was willing to take the danger on. This would be like saying that Obi-Wan didn't love Luke knowing that training him in the Jedi way and involving him in the Rebellion would put an Imperial mark on Luke for life.

kalzeth likes this.
  16. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    What's important is not what Han believes but what she believes. She believed that if they escaped together she'd be dooming her and Han's lives. And Beckett even says Crimson Dawn is much more ruthless and better at tracking down people than the Empire is so you can't really compare the two.

Iron_lord and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah she's trying to save Han from Maul, basically. But Han doesn't know that, he just thought she walked away from him.

18. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I recalled TPM but "there's always a bigger fish" didn't cross my mind at all, and it works brilliantly! :D That's it, I'm seeing Solo again next weekend!

19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "Solo" shout-out on Arrested Development Season 5 Episode 3! By the show's Narrator (aka Ron Howard) who says that a lightsaber move in a Darth Vader mask by George-Michael showed up in a Solo Star Wars film 2 years later.

I personally like to think George-Michael inspired the Teras-Kasi moves!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  20. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    In many ways, 2018 is a weird timeline, but the fact that Teräs Käsi can now so easily be tied to pop culture is brilliant.

Vthuil and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Michael Ceras Kasi

22. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Not so fast! I activate my trap card! Behold my Bottomless Trap Hole!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

23. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Check this out!

24. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    This is the directors interpretation. In the end, each viewer interprets a movie in their own way.

But of course, if we ever get a sequel or more stories post-Solo with Qi'ra, its possible the Story Group will choose this interpretation for the official canon.

25. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm sure the director's vision from now on is whatever Story Group says it is. But even if it isn't, director's commentaries aren't canon. George Lucas himself said that Maul was cut into 2 pieces to show he definitively died. We know how that turned out.