main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V SOLO: A Star Wars Story (untagged spoilers allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    "Can you trust him?"

"No. But he's got no love for masked lords I can tell you that."

Oh no, wait, he doesn't say "masked lord" he says "the Empire".

2. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    There are naming differences, but I feel the point is the same. There was no reason for Lando to have any love for Enfys Nest and her gang either and I don't think Han would have claimed Lando had any love for them.

3. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    The point is nowhere near the same. The Empire is the crushing authority that has stripped the galaxy of its freedom. Enfys Nest is just another person doing crimes like them. You can't trust Lando, Han says this repeatedly, but because he is a "cardplayer, gambler, scoundrel" you can at least trust he's not going to go to the feds. The fact that Lando does go to the Empire is part of his character growth; it shows he values something more than himself, he values his city and his people enough to put them over Han. The untrustworthy criminal is who Han expects, not the man who's willing to make a deal with the authorities.

jSarek, Daneira, Mia Mesharad and 3 others like this.
  4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think the issue I have with that is that Han wasn't expecting someone completely selfish. He genuinely expected someone who would fix the hyperdrive for free (there's no mention of payment I remember and Han is still in debt to Jabba per the dialogue so he has no money to pay Lando).

Plus, Lando very likely out of a genuine friendship would have helped Han for free if Vader hadn't shown up on Bespin. There's nothing indicating that Lando would have emailed vader@imperial.emp (X-Wing Alliance joke) and told Vader that Han was there.

Once Vader showed up, Lando had 2 options, work with Vader or refuse. One could say that Lando is being selfless by working with Vader for his people, but the fact of the matter is Vader would have killed Lando too if Lando refused to cooperate. Vader might not even have bothered with annihilating Cloud City but replaced Lando with a puppet administrator after killing him.

Once this genuine friendship seems unlikely per Solo, and Lando is a genuinely selfish person, Han wouldn't even go to Bespin in ESB--he'd keep checking his log book for some other options.. He'd be afraid Lando heard about how badly Vader wanted Solo and that Lando would sell Han out for the reward. The selfish Lando is clearly not who Han was expecting (he was expecting a genuine friend he had some rough patches with).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  5. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    Your read requires ignoring every time Han warns Leia that he doesn't trust Lando and she shouldn't either. It also now requires ignoring an entire movie. I think I'll stick with my read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jSarek likes this.
  6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm going through the ESB novelization, which was approved by LFL at the time of the film:

'What happened?' Leia asked, moving closer to inspect the pile of disjointed parts.

'He found Threepio in a junk room.'

Leia gasped. 'What a mess! Chewie, do you think you can repair him?'

Chewbacca studied the collection of robot parts, then, looking back at the princess, shrugged his shoulders and howled. It looked to him like an impossible job.

'Why don't we just turn him over to Lando to fix?' Han suggested.

'No thanks,' Leia answered, with a cold look in her eyes. 'Something's wrong here. Your friend Lando is very charming, but I don't trust him.'

'Well, I do trust him,' Han argued, defending his host. 'Listen, sweetheart, I'm not going to have you accusing my friend of-But he was interrupted by a buzz as a door slid open, and Lando Calrissian entered the lounge. Smiling cordially, he walked toward the small group. 'Sorry, am I interrupting anything?'

Han also has the same lines in the novelization as the film back when going over the logs:

'Can you trust him?' Leia asked.

'No. But he has no love for the Empire, that much I know.'

While the line in Bespin was changed to 'I don't trust him either' in the film, the official novelization does indicate that Han does not expect a full on betrayal by Lando. And that's my issue where Solo is. While I understand the dialogue was changed for the film, I trust the novelization on what Han's thought process actually was, and people often say things that don't accurately reflect what's going on in their head.

Basically while Han is saying "I don't trust him either" in the film, the novelization confirms that he's thinking "Well, I do trust him." but he likely doesn't want to get into a fight with Leia who he is courting.

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't see this as the last time Lando and Han meet. This is not the "After what you pulled."

There's a certain sense of the fact that Han Solo also is going to have some rough times ahead since the only story he has worth telling six years later is the same one he had in this movie. Which implies to me that Han's successes aren't consistent.

ATimson, Sarge, mnjedi and 2 others like this.
  8. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    This would be like a new trek film taking place after TOS where kirk is surprised harry mudd sold out the enterprise to the klingons. Even if we are missing some lost kirk mudd interactions, kirk should not be surprised by this. Same with lando.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

9. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I must have missed the part where Han Solo was a lawman responsible for bringing Lando to justice.

Or did I miss the part where Kirk and Mudd have a pre-existing on-and-off decade-long relationship based on them both being amoral scoundrels.

Either way, sounds like Star Trek and Star Wars are a lot different wherever you're from.

10. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Although I don't see how it's relevant to the topic, if you must know I'm from California.

To be fair there may be a future media where Lando completely makes a 180 and gives Han every reason to trust him.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think given the circumstances of the movie, Lando would do just about anything to make sure the falcon wasn't destroyed.

BobaMatt likes this.
  12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Han and Lando allmost certainly see each other more before ESB, there is no way I can imagine the ending of Solo as being intended to be thier last meeting, heck they just met and actively disliked each other for most of it, hardly what you would be able to call a friendship.

The question being, given Solos unfortunate status as a bomb, will we ever get to see those escapades?

I hope we do, Glover deserves his own standalone, he really does.

Sarge, Kylun and BobaMatt like this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I believe the answer will lie in DVD and streaming.

14. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Years and years and years of fans clamoring for underworld stories and then we get one and no one can handle how people act in the underworld.

15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I think I've had illusions about who han and lando really were. People would be ok if it were cad bane and boba fett being dirty, but we had illusions about lando and han that i guess deserved to be popped.

Lando is like the cool guy people idolized as kids for wearing hip clothes and talking smooth, only to find out on growing up this cool kid is a drug dealer, lengthy criminal record, gambling problem, and that cool car he had was stolen.

You're right, maybe my dislike of solo is because i saw an idealized lando the first time around and not who he really was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Sarge and kalzeth like this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Weirdly, I thought Han was too CLEAN in this movie and not nearly as treacherous as he should be.

Lando, notably, was very much in tune with his portrayal on Rebels.

A dirty backstabbing double crosser!

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Weazel Hero Shot!

[​IMG]

Probably still thinking "Man, I can't believe that slave runt beat Sebulba. Still inspires me to this very day!"

18. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Anyone else think Warwick Davis was too distracting a cameo? I love cameos, but this one was a bit too "in your face".

Sarge likes this.
  19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the cameo is fine but, honestly, I think they could and should have given him an actual character role. It's not like the man doesn't deserve it both for his acting chops and Star Wars history.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    seeker_two, Revanfan1, spicer and 2 others like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I too wish Warwick David had more to do but I think it's cool to have character continuity from his random shot in TPM to here. Maybe next time we see Nest's crew (which I think will meet a tragic end since Two-Tubes is in it) he can deliver the emotionally traumatized monologue about what happened to them when Maul found 'em!

Okay that got dark but y'know what I mean, I was just happy to see him again. also he's in one of the movie's few (maybe 2?) scenes that don't have Han in it, Weazel and Nest talk about the Falcon leaving. (the only other non-Han scene in the movie is Qi'Ra/Maul chat)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    Voltron64 likes this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    You know, I still think that it's not too late. Enfy Nest and her gang are pretty cool with lots of story potential. I would love a live action movie focused on Nest. In that hypothetical movie, Weazel could be, and probably should be one of the leads after Enfys.

BigAl6ft6 and Daneira like this.
  22. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I just realized... the original idea for Solo was going to have the finale be on Taanab, a jungle planet.

The movie we got ends with Lando on a jungle planet, where Han wins the Falcon from him.

That's supposed to be Taanab, isn't it?

MrDarth0 likes this.
  23. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    So that little maneuver at the Battle of Taanab was really about Lando trying to shoot down Han in a drunken rage while flying a rental starship after losing the Falcon? This new canon deal is getting worse all the time. :lando: :p
    What makes you think Weazel, Nest and the Cloudriders end up on the losing side and become emotionally traumatized fighting Maul? Considering we know Maul is alone and cracking up on Malachor in the near future after Solo, I say it's the other way around. ;)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  24. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I think it may be that new world listed in the SOLO Visual Guide map. I'm drawing a blank on the name, but there is a world shown on the map that was brand new and never referenced in the guide. I assumed that was the jungle planet.

--Adm. Nick

25. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Wait, that's supposed to be a different planet? I thought they were still on Savareen.