main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Solo and the Gang - the Women's Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    Dang, not only does the U.S. lose but Solo misses out on setting the Shut Out Record. Here's hoping we step up and pull off a miracle win against Brazil.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Bummer for the US, but when push comes to shove, if you want to win the whole thing, you have to be able to beat everyone. Bring on Marta.

And in breaking news, two NKor players tested positive for doping, now the whole team will get tested. I assume this was also a result of being hit by lightning.

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Indubitably. Lighting has been known for some strange side effects. :p

4. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Sadly this doesn't surprise me. There's gotta be a lot more doping in the soccer world than get's discovered. I mean the guy who was the mastermind behind the doping scandal discovered by Operación Puerto pretty much said the entire Spanish side was doping.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Interesting fact*:

The USA loss to Sweden was the first USWNT match in official FIFA play to not feature a former UNC Tar Heel.

*per Grant Wahl, and also per Grant Wahl, this is still being researched for full verification, but looks good.

6. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Interesting, but I suppose it makes sense. Mia Hamm was a Tar Heel and they've had a strong program since before the Women's World Cup's been around.

7. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Exciting game between England and France. Some very nice goals in the shoot out. My impression is that men's shoot outs have a tendency to miss more, maybe they are relying more on force will women go for placement.

And France wins!

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Now that was an exciting game. I feel sad for Germany, being the favorites for the title, but at the same time it's always fun when an underdog wins.

9. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I'm still in shock that Japan beat Germany. I was pulling for the Japanese, but I didn't expect them to win. That has to be a big frustration for Germany, especially since it was on home soil.

10. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Wow, did not see that one coming. Too bad for Germany. This means if the U.S. lose tomorrow we'll have a first time winner of the World Cup (Though I'm still hoping the U.S. pull it together!)

11. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I saw it coming. Once I put the German flag as my icon, they were doomed!

Seriously, though, Germany played one good match, against France, had no real flow or rhythm otherwise, and it showed quite badly. They're dangerous when they get the ball forward, but there was no real order established for getting the ball there. Very reminiscent of Argentina's men's team, with no linkage between the back and the front. Oh well, no threepeat. Now go USA!!!

12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Couldn't believe my Twitter news feed when I saw Germany had lost. Big, big upset. Again, though, upsets like that, just like when the US lost to Mexico at Gold Cup, are good for the women's game.

We're just about an hour from USA-Brazil. Winner of that game is the clear favorite to win it all now. Marta has never scored on Solo, so let's hope that continues.

13. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Doubly whammy for Germany - with Sweden's victory today, the German team is out of the Olympic tournament, too. UEFA is apparently to cheap to stage a women's Olympic qualifying tournament.

I'm excited for the USWNT's match. They've got to click on all four cylinders from the start of the match.

14. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Happy that Sweden goes through.

And when it comes to the Olympics I have a feeling that there are simply too few spots in the tournamen, it should be 16 just like for the men.

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Strange situation now with the Brazilian penalty. To be honest, I thought it was Marta who was going to get her second yellow when the ref started digging after the card. I don't think the penalty was wrong, but it was way too tough with the red card.

And then the whole mess with the re-shoot.

I was hoping that Brazil would score to 1-1, but more because I felt it would be too boring to have the only goal being a selfgoal, but I don't think it's fun when one team has to finish with less players.

16. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    What's the saying? Players win games. Coaches lose games. Referees destroy games. I am unbelievably stoked right now. Abby manages to pull off the most epic goal of the tournament and Solo makes a winning save. Now who's betting on a Sweden/U.S. rematch for the final?

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    that's the most logical alternative, but one shouldn't underestimate Japan. France is clearly the weakest team left, so I don't think they are going to be a problem for the US. I also don't think that the US will loose to Sweden in two games in a tournament, so I'm pretty sure that the USA will win the gold.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Great vcomeback for the US, bummed I couldn't watch the et and pks. Reading the ticker, did the ref really let the first US kicker (Boxx) retake her kick? Wow.

19. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Brazil with the epic fail. [face_flag]

20. SoloKnight

Feb 13, 2003
    Yeah, Boxx got a second kick. I admit that I'm completely bias but I agree with the ref's call on this. The Brazilian keeper took one or two steps out before Boxx kicked. It wasn't even like Solo's little lateral shuffle, she actually came off her line.

Poor quality, but you can see the kicks here.

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    The ref pretty much had to after Marta was allowed to retake hers for basically the same thing. Wambach's goal was epic. Really excited for the game against France.

22. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    USA was brilliant today against Brazil! And on the anniversary of the Women's team winning their first World Cup too! Today was a moment in history! I sat through the PKs shaking and in near tears! So excited for the semi-finals! [face_dancing] I'm rooting for Japan as well, though hoping that US and Japan won't play in the Final because I'm rather fond of the Japanese team.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Could only watch the first ~30 minutes or so, but just watched a quick highlight reel via the espn3.com replay. Wow. What a game. Couple of thoughts?

I can see where the ref might have called that a Red card. If you're going to call it a penalty, that kind of play is pretty much going to be a red, as well. So, I can see it.

The yellow on Solo to rekick the PK, however, was awful. There's no way in hell you make that call. Ever. I'd call it the worst call I'd ever seen, except for the non-handball from earlier in the tournament. I also appreciated the blown call on the offsides on Brazil's goal in Extra Time.

And, while I loved the equalizer by the USA, it had nothing on Donovan vs. Algeria. I got goosebumps watching the replay, even knowing that it had happened, but it wasn't Donovan vs. Algeria.

Most importantly, this game has successfully established Hope Solo at the top of my "list".

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Abby's goal was a few notches down from Donovan v. Algeria, but not much. Talk about snatching PKs from defeat. Donovan's was different because it was the winner. If this one had been a pure winner, instead of sending it to the PK, it would have been right there.

And should this thread be renamed the Hope Solo Crush Thread: The USWMNT/World Cup thread? :p

25. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    LOL. We might as well go ahead and rename it that! Hope Solo is hard not to love!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.