main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Solo and the Gang - the Women's Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Anything for you, Roper.

2. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    And Sweden takes the bronze!!!! I missed both the semifinal and the bronzegame, so I can't really comment much on them.

I'm looking forward to the final tomorrow, and I think Japan might have a possibility for something big. It's dangerous to underestimate them.

3. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Which is why I seriously doubt that the US is taking Japan lightly, in any way.

4. Book-Geek

Book-Geek Jedi Knight star 3

May 28, 2011
    I think I'll be super-duper happy if US wins, but I would also be content if Japan wins. I've been rooting for both all the way and was actually hoping that it wouldn't come down to these two teams.

5. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Brian Strauss brought out a good point - it's kind of like a set up of a Hollywood movie. I can see why a lot of people would be rooting for Japan, especially against one of the "old guard", two-time champion, number 1 ranked USWNT. The fact that Japan's very technically skilled doesn't hurt, either.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I'm in the camp of "it would be fun if Japan won".

7. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    Pregame talk going on behind me with Brandi Chastain and Tony DiCiccio. Very nervous and excited!

8. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Getting close...little over an hour until the match starts. :)

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Looks like I'll get to see a bit of the first half. Wasn't sure I'd get that.

I (obviously) want the USA to win, but I know beyond a doubt it would be good for the sport if Japan won.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The field looks so gigantic. I rarely watch sports, but this is interesting at the very least.

11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That is one thing women's football has against it. The fact that they are using the same size of field and goals as the men.

And the US is close to scoring. So far Japan hasn't had much to do with the game, do they have too much respect for the US? On the other hand if the US doesn't manage to score, there is a possibility that Japan will work themselves into the game.

12. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    YSWNT looking lie their male counterparts a bit ... Not finishing and then giving up counterstroke chances.

13. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    After 32 hit goalposts, the US finally scores!!! :p

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I think this is why I don't watch sports. I watched, no score; I watched, no score; I step out for 10 minutes to get a bite to eat and the USA scores. YAY! then i walk in to watch Japan score. Boo.

Note to you sports fans, If the USA loses it's becaus I am watching and rooting for them.

[face_good_luck]

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    See? I curse sports.

16. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    Congrats to Japan. The Japanese are waking up to the best news they've gotten all year.

Sucks to see the USA lose, but they lost to a classy team. I can't fathom why the US kickers weren't making them high in the corners (Wambach excepted), but I'm guessing they were exhausted.

17. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    [face_plain] And now that the US has demonstrated how not to take penalties... I feel so bad for them, they're never gonna get out of the shadow of '99.

We should've won that game so many times, we had about 50 shots that should've gone in and that one goal they scored was because our defense did one of the worst plays I've seen this cup, but at the end of the game it doesn't matter because even if we had more chances, Japan finished it.

It was a nice clean game for the most part though which is something I really appreciate. And I still love Hope Solo and Megan Rapinoe.

18. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    We won't hold it against you. It was a good game, and both teams did very well. It's always messy when it comes down to PKs. I'm happy that Japan won; when they went on to the semifinals, it encouraged many in their nation. Having won the World Cup, Japan will know they can rebuild after the disaster back in March. I am also glad that the US are good loosers as well as good winners, as they proved in the game against Brazil.

Congratulations to Hope Solo, who won the Golden Glove; Abby Wambach, who won both the bronze boot and silver ball; and Homare Sawa for winning the golden ball.

P.S. I know what the Golden Glove and bronze boot are, but what are the gold and silver balls awarded for? Can anyone tell me?

19. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Congrats to Japan! The US team made too many mistakes during that game. Lots of missed opportunities and some silly plays one of which cost them a goal.

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Golden Boot is top scorer, silver and bronze runners up.
    Golden Ball is best player, silver and bronze runners up.

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Just had problems finishing. Congrats to Japan.

22. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000

Well, at least we know who to blame. :p

I ended up having to listen to the game on radio and follow along online...I went to a friend's house for a cookout, and they don't have cable or dish. Disappointed that the US didn't win, but congrats to Japan. :)

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup. USA has only themselves to blame. You've got to convert on those early chances. Should have been 2-, 3-, or ever 4-0 early on, and they couldn't finish at the net. Grant Wahl wrote after their first match that creating chances they can't finish would hurt them later in the tournament.

But, overall, congrats to Japan. I think it'll be really good for the Women's game to grow. Honestly, if they could just get ESPN to consistently throw their support behind them, they'd be golden.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    There's been a lot of talk that the USWNT choked away the game. What do you guys think about that characterization of their loss?

25. Book-Geek

May 28, 2011
    Thanks, Marcus!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.