Beyond Solo Moments - complete 24. December - prologue, thanks, and more!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Mar 9, 2008.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Title: Solo Moments
    Author: Iverna
    Characters: Han, Leia, Jaina, Jacen, Anakin, Luke, Chewie, and various others.
    Plot: Not much, just a series of small events/moments from the Solo kids' lives as they grow up. It may not end up being in chronological order.
    Set: While the kids are growing up.
    Notes: I just wanted to explore the more "normal" everyday aspect of the Solo family's life, and this is what I've come up with. If you want to catch up and this thread is too chaotic, you can find all the stories so far posted in one place here.

Cover art:

[image=http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae198/ivernasolo/Solo-Moments-cover.png]

The Mess We Make

(Set in 15 ABY.)

They were discussing the new X-Wing model over cups of caf when there was a loud crash. Luke Skywalker and his brother-in-law exchanged a look, caf and Incom's merits and failures forgotten.

"Jaina?" Han called. "Jacen!"

The twins had disappeared into their playroom after saying hello to him, as they usually did. He'd caught something about "pirates" in their excited chatter, before they had run off. Only Anakin had remained with the two men, quietly playing on the couch beside Luke.

Theoretically, C-3PO was meant to be keeping an eye on the twins, but Luke realised belatedly that he didn't hear the droid's prissy voice amid the muffled shouts of "It's all right, Dad!"

Han Solo sighed and left the room to investigate. Moments later, he called for Luke, who hurried to the kids' playroom and stopped, trying to make sense of the scene that unfolded before him. Threepio sat slumped in a corner, deactivated. The wardrobe had collapsed and its contents lay strewn about the room, along with a smooth board that Luke recognised as a spare shelf which had been stored beneath Anakin's bed.

"What happened?" he asked.

"Yeah," Han said, looking at his eldest son. "Why don't you tell Uncle Luke what happened, Jacen?"

Six-year-old Jacen Solo shifted his weight from one foot to another and sighed. "We made a slide."

"Oh," Luke said. "Did it work?"

"Once," Jaina said. She was sitting in the middle of the mess, unscathed as far as Luke could tell. "It was a really wild ride." On that, both children dissolved into giggles.

Han tried to keep a straight face as he extracted his giggling daughter from the tangles of clothes, books, and furniture. "This is the last time I trust Lando Calrissian when he says that this piece of furniture doesn't need to be bolted down."

Luke couldn't help laughing. Han shot him a betrayed look and set Jaina down.

"Now," he said, looking at his kids. "Looks like we'll have to clean this mess up, hey?"

"But Threepio can- " Jacen began, but Han held up a finger.

"Uh-uh," he said. "Deactivated droids can't help anyone."

"But you can switch him back on," Jaina said.

"And why would I do that?" Han asked. "I didn't switch him off. Which one of you did that, anyway?"

"Me," Jaina said. Luke shook his head. The twins were nothing if not honest; when asked a question, they usually told the truth. It had taken him a while to understand how they could be so honest while constantly scheming to cause trouble while the grown-ups weren't looking. Knowing Wes Janson had helped, as had the realisation that the twins didn't really mind getting caught, as long as what they had wanted to do had already been done. They were ready to accept responsibility, but preferably for something that could be deemed a success.

"Why am I not surprised," Han said. "Well, it's bad enough that you switched him off, I don't see why he needs to clean up your mess on top of that. Come on. I'll help you with the wardrobe, you sort out the clothes, and Jacen, you collect the books, all right? And let's get this done before your Mom gets home."

The twins grumbled, but did as they were told. Luke and Han righted the wardrobe and put the shelves back inside, exchanging amused glances. It was not the first time. Not a week went by without at least/>
  2. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    "Oh no," Han said. "Anakin."

Luke frowned, not understanding. "What?"

"Anakin," Han repeated. "Ah. Did you finish your caf before we left?"

Luke shook his head.

"Mine was almost full." Han sighed, his voice full of resignation. "Anakin really likes caf. He'll be bouncing off the walls for the next three hours, maybe more." He shook his head as they went to join the kids for refreshments. "I swear to you, kid, working with the Wraiths was easier than keeping tabs on these terrors."

Luke laughed and nodded as he caught sight of little Anakin Solo, still bouncing on Han's favourite chair and giggling madly as he threw cushions at his sister, who returned them with just as much force and only slightly better aim. If Han managed to get them all to sit down and have their juice and snacks, Luke thought, the man deserved another medal.

[face_laugh] LOL this was all so cute![face_love] And yes, Han definitely deserves another medal. :p Awesome job! I love reading the "normal" aspects of the Skywalkers and Solos lives- that's mostly what I tend to write. :) Lovely work! I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread! ;)
    =D==D==D==D=

3. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    HAHAHA this looks to be a good little set of stories!!!

If you have a list, please pm me!!!

MJR:D
  4. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    "Oh no," Han said. "Anakin."

Luke frowned, not understanding. "What?"

"Anakin," Han repeated. "Ah. Did you finish your caf before we left?"

Luke shook his head.

"Mine was almost full." Han sighed, his voice full of resignation. "Anakin really likes caf. He'll be bouncing off the walls for the next three hours, maybe more." He shook his head as they went to join the kids for refreshments. "I swear to you, kid, working with the Wraiths was easier than keeping tabs on these terrors."

Loved it! [face_laugh]

Please PM me when you update. :p =D=
  5. Skywalker277 Jedi Knight

star 1
    That was funny and enjoyable. =D=
  6. AndY_SolO Jedi Knight

wait...[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

the last part made me laugh!!!

good job!!

really funny!
  7. Golden_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
  8. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks to everyone for reading this! This is my first serialised work so I'm new to PM lists, but I promise to do my very best. Let me know if you want to be added!

dancing_star - glad we're agreed on the medal! ;) And thanks very much for your interest, I'm flattered. Thanks very much!

Thanks for reading, MJR! I shall put you on the PM list, yep!

Thanks, VaderLVR64, glad you liked it! And I shall indeed PM you. :)

Glad you enjoyed it, Skywalker, and thanks for reading!

AndY - yay, it made you laugh, that's brilliant! I'm glad you enjoyed it, thank you!

Golden_Jedi, glad to hear that! Thank you!
  9. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Small Joys

(Set in 13 ABY.)

Leia Organa Solo sighed, breathing in the rich air and looking out over the lush scenery of their garden. It was more a park than a garden, really. She'd been apprehensive about letting Han surprise her with the holiday destination, but so far, she hadn't regretted it. Naboo was nothing if not beautiful. In a way, it reminded her of Alderaan, but this reminder wasn't a painful one. It was good to see that there were still parts of the galaxy that could take her breath away.

Avians fluttered around the greenery, and a light breeze ruffled the leaves of the various plants. The sun was at its zenith, bathing everything in brightness and warmth. It was late spring on this continent, and the earth teemed with life. A small spring bubbled somewhere, and Leia could make out the telltale gleams that showed the presence of a stream winding its way through the landscape.

The peace was interrupted by the delighted squeal of the children as they were released onto the balcony. The twins came tumbling out ahead of Anakin, who toddled after them on his short legs.

"Jaina!" came an exasperated shout. Leia turned to see her husband emerge from the arched doorway. He was holding a purple jumper. "C'mere you, put this on ya!"

Jaina, wearing nothing but sandals, pants and a vest, screeched and fled down the stone steps before Leia could grab her. Jacen, for a miracle, stayed put and held his little brother's hand. "Look, Anakin," he said. "There's an Aridian red-crest."

Leia smiled down at her eldest son. Jacen had been able to pronounce the names of various exotic animals before he'd got his sister's name right. It always gave people pause to see a four-year-old talk about "Aridian red-crests" instead of "red birds".

"And a Jaya!" Anakin pointed. Han had managed to catch his daughter and held her bundled under one arm as she squealed. He carried her back up the steps and deposited her next to her brothers.

"Now, sweetie," he said, trying to be stern and failing badly. "Come on, put your jumper on."

Jaina folded her arms. "Don't wanna," she said. Jaina never said many words if she could get away with saying a few. "Don't like that one."

"What?" Han looked put out. "You told me yesterday that it's your favourite one!"

"Yesterday," Jaina said disdainfully. "Not today."

Han sighed, exchanging a glance with his wife. "All right," he said. "But you need to put it on anyway, because otherwise your brothers are going to explore the garden without you."

"Pfft," Jaina said succinctly, and sat down, still folding her arms.

Jacen dragged at her arm. "Come on, Jaya!"

Anakin joined him. "Yeah, come on, Jaya!"

"There's a little stream out there, you know," Leia told her daughter. If they didn't convince her before she got too stubborn, she would sit there for the next two hours and then give out about not being allowed to play all day. Han always said that their daughter got it from her; she retaliated that she couldn't have got it from him because he still had it. "I was thinking that maybe you could try floating your ship on it."

Jaina looked up. "Which ship?" she asked suspiciously.

"The Extran 300 Nav-sub that Wedge gave you, remember?" Han said. With Jaina, you had to be specific, and Leia was hard-put to remember what model of freighter the Falcon was. Although, in fairness, it hardly qualified under its original designation anymore, anyway.

"Oh," Jaina said. She looked at Leia again. "Can I really?"

Leia nodded. Jaina pursed her lip and sighed. The adult gesture made Han grin, although he did his best to hide it. "Come on," he said. "Let's get this jumper on ya, okay?"

Jaina lifted her arms reluctantly. "Fine," she said.

Han gave her a lop-sided grin and pulled the jumper over her head. "Good girl," he said. He and Leia exchanged a look of pure relief. At least this one hadn't turned into a tantrum. "C'mon, let's find your ship."

"Eeeeew!" Jaina screeched. "Jasa!"

Leia looked up, a half-changed Anakin
  10. Golden_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Awwwwwwwwwwww... That was so nice! =D= I love the way you portrait the Solo family.
  11. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Love these little glimpses into the Solo family!

"Now, sweetie." He said, trying to be stern and failing badly. "Come on, put your jumper on."

Jaina folded her arms. "Don't wanna," she said. Jaina never said many words if she could get away with saying a few. "Don't like that one."

"What?" Han looked put out. "You told me yesterday that it's your favourite one!"

"Yesterday," Jaina said disdainfully. "Not today."

Oh yeah, I remember those days! :p

=D=
  12. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    Jaina gets it from Han. No doubt about it. You wouldn't see Leia act that way. HAHAHA!!! SO FUNNY!!!

Anxious for the next bit!!!

MJR[:D]
  13. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Golden_Jedi - thanks very much, I'm glad you're enjoying it!

Vader - thanks! Glad you like it! And yah, I remember being that age myself so that's kind of what I'm drawing on there. I was a terror! :D

MJR - yay! Thank you very much, means a lot that you're enjoying it!
  14. Alexis_Wingstar Force Ghost

star 4
    I love these little slices of life! You bring the personalities of each Solo child out so beautifully, and you do great with Han and Leia, too. Great job. =D=
  15. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you very much, Alexis! I've never written about kids before so this is definitely a challenge - if you think it works, that's just amazing! I'm glad you think the personalities are realistic. That's what I'm aiming for. Thanks!

New piece will be up soon. If anyone wants on the PM list, let me know!
  16. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'd love to get a PM! These stories are really cute, and you write little kids so well!
  17. dm1 Force Ghost

star 4
    Count me in for PM notifications! I love these, normal everyday moments with the Solo family! Well, as normal as one can get with caf craving Force sensitive children! [face_laugh]
  18. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    These are awesome, adorable, and you capture the kids perfectly. PMs, please. :D
  19. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Awww, these are so cute, Iverna! I love reading about the Solo kids. :D

=D=
  20. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Fel_Freak, aww, thank you! Glad you like it so far!

dm1 - yay! Thanks, glad you're enjoying them!

RK_Striker - thanks ever so much! I'm flattered to hear that!

Idrelle - glad you're enjoying them!

Next up: Mara gets charge of the kids for a few days...

PM list:
    VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5

Thanks very much for reading!
  21. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    Getting The Job Done (part I)

(set in 20 ABY.)

"This wasn't part of the deal, Skywalker," Mara Jade growled, looking at her husband over the rim of her cup. Husband. Force, it still had such a strange ring to it.

Luke Skywalker met her gaze, wearing that calm, guileless expression that he did so well. "You did agree, Mara," he said reasonably.

"Yeah," she said, trying not to sound too irritable. "I know."

Of course she had agreed. Han and Leia Solo had left Yavin 4 a week ago, leaving their children with Luke. And now, the end of their vacation had happened to coincide with Mara's own trip to Coruscant. She had agreed to take the kids without thinking; passenger runs had never been her favourite, but she had never minded too much, either.

Except. Except that these passengers were between nine and eleven years old. Except that they were the children of two heroes of the rebellion, one of them Luke's sister. Except that they would need looking after. Except that Mara was more than a little nervous at the prospect of all of that.

She hadn't thought of that. Or rather, she had thought it inconsequential until now, the morning of departure. She certainly hadn't thought that it would make her nervous; the last time she'd been nervous was so long ago that she couldn't even remember it.

She had no idea why Han and Leia had taken it as such a natural thing, why they had no qualms about trusting her with their kids. But then, she was family now. Mara Jade wasn't just a wife, she was also suddenly an aunt.

"Hey," Luke said, reaching across the table in a gesture of reassurance. "The first time Leia put the twins in my arms, I was terrified I'd drop them, or break them. But I didn't, and now they're not even babies anymore."

Mara arched an eyebrow. "A Jedi Master is afraid of dropping something?"

He caught her drift and laughed. "I can only imagine how Corran felt with Valin."

She laughed with him. Corran Horn's lack of levitation skills remained peculiar among the Jedi.

She chased away her nervousness. It was stupid. They were a bunch of kids, and she was acting as though the prospect of looking after them was worse than looking at their grandfather. "Well, it's a first for me," she said lightly. "But then, so's marriage, and I haven't completely screwed that up either."

Luke grinned at her, sensing her change in mood. She still wondered at that, sometimes. "Exactly. Just a word of advice, don't let Jaina at the controls no matter how much she tells you that she can fly." He paused, thinking. "And don't let Anakin anywhere near them."

"Can I watch the takeoff?" Jaina Solo turned pleading brown eyes on her aunt. "Please?"

"And me?" Anakin's ice blue eyes joined his sister's. Jacen just looked at both of his siblings, incredulous.

"Seriously, guys," he said. "How many times d'you have to watch a takeoff before you realise that they're all the same?"

"This," Jaina said significantly, "is a different ship. Can we, Aunt Mara?"

It still took a moment for her to realise that "Aunt Mara" was her. The kids had had no major problems adopting Mara as their aunt; they all tended to deal with the facts that were put in front of them.

"Sure," she agreed, causing two big grins on youthful faces. "Just let me do the flying. No touching anything."

"Promise," Jaina said. Anakin just nodded. He never spoke much. Out of all the children, he was the one Mara had most trouble with. He didn't just chatter the way the twins did; he didn't speak unless he had something to say. Much like Mara herself, really, only that she was an adult and he a kid and for some reason, that meant that she had to get him to talk regardless.

Mara let Jaina take the copilot's seat, much to the girl's delight. She sat, hands folded in her lap, and watched intently as Mara ran through the preflights, fired up the engines, and took the ship through the atmosphere.

"Smooth," Jaina commented when they entered hyperspace.

"Better than Dad?" Anakin demande
  22. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

I just love the Solo's!!!

Great job!!! Can't wait for more!!!

MJR:D
  23. Jaina_Solo_Goddess Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now they appear innocent...but just wait until they're roaming free, Mara!

~Jaina
  24. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Awesome. :D So cool to see Mara out of her element, here, with the kids. I have a feeling they're gonna surprise her something fierce. ;) [face_laugh][face_peace]
  25. Fel_Freak228 Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh this is gonna be good, I can can tell.;) Can't wait for part 2!!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade