main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Solo Moments - complete 24. December - prologue, thanks, and more!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks, Idrelle! I'm happy that you're enjoying them! And I've put you on the list, hopefully I'll update reasonable soon. :)

2. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Finally, an update. Sorry I've taken so long, exams are pretty much in "full" mode now. But now I'm sick, so I can't do college work properly anyway, so here we are! My take on how Jaina and Jacen met Zekk.

PM list:
    VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani

Say the word if you want to be added, I think there'll be a few more of these because I'm really enjoying them. Hope you like this one!

Scavenger

(set in 18 ABY.)

Jaina Solo rocked in her seat and shouted out the words to the song.

"He said "Your kind aren't welcome here,
    I don't want you in my town!"
    So I called me older brother up
    And we shot the whole place down, hey!"

"Hey!" Jacen yelled beside her, and started laughing. Jaina looked at her brother and joined in. She liked singing with Jacen.

Dad had taught them the song. He said it was a Corellian tavern song, and that you only really sang it when you were blind drunk. Jaina wasn't allowed to be blind drunk, but she and Jacen always tried to behave a little bit drunk when they sang these kinds of songs. Playing drunk was fun. It involved a lot of shouting and giggling and jumping around. They had watched Dad and Uncle Lando and the others a few times to find out how it was done.

Chewbacca growled a warning. Jaina couldn't speak Shyriiwook, but she understood him quite well.

"Don't worry, Chewie," she said. "I'm not gonna fall out, I've got a crash restraint!"

She understood "Sit still" in a lot of languages, sometimes even when people weren't speaking. Grown-ups liked quiet kids, and that was another reason why she didn't understand them. She and Jacen sometimes made it a game to see for how long they could be really, really loud and restless before someone ordered them to stop.

"Yeah," Jacen said. "We're not falling out, we're just rocking out." Lando always called it "rocking out" if his ship wobbled when he was piloting it and Dad was mocking him for it. Jaina liked Lando. He was always cheerful and lively.

Chewie made a chuffing sound as he laughed softly. Minutes later, he brought the speeder to a stop and Jaina was first out of the speeder. She gave Jacen a triumphant grin.

Chewie locked the speeder and told them to stay beside him. Jaina grabbed his hand as they started walking down the small street. Chewie's hands were always warm and soft and gentle. He had leathery pads on the inside of them, which were cold at first, and he had claws as well, for climbing. He could retract them, though, so that he wouldn't hurt anyone with them.

Jaina sometimes wished she had claws for climbing. Then she thought what would happen if one day she forgot to retract them when she was shaking hands with someone, or hugging Jacen, and it didn't seem like such a good idea anymore. She was always forgetting things. Although Jacen was worse for forgetting things, like his homework, and his shoes, and even the fact that it was cold outside and he shouldn't crouch on the ground for an hour trying to coax an animal into accepting some flatbread.

They reached the small shop after a few minutes. Chewie ushered them through the door, and Jaina blinked in the harsh neon light. The shop smelled like all the other mechanics shops she'd ever been in: different solder alloys, lubricants, dusty electronics, and that mechanics-shop smell that told you that they were trying to stop it smelling of lubricant.

"We need a targeting sensor module," Jaina told the Lensarai behind the counter. He nodded, and then he turned to Chewie, obviously figuring out that Chewie was the one who had the money.

"We have one in prime condition," he said. "An eSense-T45d."

Chewie started gesturing and telling the guy that he wanted to have a look, but Jaina knew that a T-45 would never work right. Besides, Dad always said that you should never trust eSense equipment if it was more complicated than a cyberfuse.

As the shop's protocol droid began translating Chewie's words, Jaina tugge

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a great peek into their lives! I love this little moments. [face_love]

=D=

4. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    I loved the way you showed Chewie through Jaina's eyes...=D=

5. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Chewie growled something to the effect that Han was sure to be thrilled to hear that his daughter wanted to visit a scruffy-looking mechanic in downtown Coruscant, and ruffled her hair. That line just had me going! Who's scruffy-looking? [face_laugh]

Anyway, sweet post, those Solo kids are definitely Han's progeny!

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yay, she met Zekk! Jaina's so open, here, for lack of a better term. :D It was very nice to see her and Jacen befriending Zekk and showing how nice they are.

7. Fel_Freak228

Fel_Freak228 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 23, 2007
    Awwwww that was cute. I love stories like this!=D=

8. alderaanprincess

alderaanprincess Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 9, 2008
    Chewie growled something to the effect that Han was sure to be thrilled to hear that his daughter wanted to visit a scruffy-looking mechanic in downtown Coruscant, and ruffled her hair.

[face_love] awwww that was too cute! add me to the PM list please[face_batting]

9. mara_jade_rox

mara_jade_rox Jedi Master star 2

Jun 18, 2007
    These stories are so wonderful!!!

Keep em coming, cuz I'm hooked!!!

MJR:D

10. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Awww, cute! [face_love] Meeting Zekk! :D

And I loved the part at the beginning about how Jaina and Jacen liked to play at being drunk. [face_laugh]

11. Darthrevan4ever

Darthrevan4ever Jedi Master star 6

May 3, 2008
    very very cute

12. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Vader - thanks for reading! :)

Golden_Jedi - thanks! I haven't written from kids' perspectives before, it was interesting. Glad you liked it!

dm1 - yeah, it seemed kind of fitting, and I've always found it ironic how Jaina seems to totally follow in her mother's footsteps like that! Thanks for reading!

RK_Striker - thank you! Glad she came across that way; the twins always struck me as really nice and friendly when they were kids and I wanted to show that.

Fel_Freak - thanks a lot! Hopefully I'll get more up soonish!

alderaanprincess - yay, thanks! Consider yourself added!

MJR - why thank you, I'm very glad you're enjoying them!

Idrelle - yeah, this was one I really wanted to write, and minus any romantic notions between Jaina and Zekk - I mean, they're kids! I'm glad you liked it. The "playing drunk" bit was spur of the moment, I thought with their Dad and his friends they might get that idea eventually! *lol* Thank you!

Darthrevan - thanks very much for reading! Glad you like it!

13. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Bet you thought I'd forgotten about this, right? Wrong! I just haven't had any inspiration for this for ages. But it struck the other day, when I came across the Black Fleet Crisis books again. Han's concerns about Jacen, who went through this phase of wanting to do everything with the Force instead of moving himself, and in the process started to get a bit "pudgy", are never really addressed. At least, not that I can remember. But in subsequent books he's back to being a normal, hyperactive Solo kid. So, this piece is my take on how Han and Leia might have tackled the issue and how it might have worked out.

PM list (let me know if you want to be added or taken off!)
    VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    alderaanprincess

Do Something

(Set in 17 ABY.)

The lake was beautiful, calm water reflecting the blue-violet sky?a feature of Obraska's atmosphere that Jaina had delighted over?and mirroring the trees that stood on the bank, their feathery leaves touching the lake's surface. Han Solo sat on the wooden veranda in his swim trunks, eyes fluttering closed, enjoying the sun on his back. The air was filled with the cries of birds, splashes of water?

?and the shrieks of two hyperactive kids as they were released into the garden. Han opened one eye as Jaina and Anakin raced past him. A brief touch of Anakin's hand on his shoulder as the boy kept his balance while running past, and they were down the steps and into the water. A grin spread over Han's face as he watched them jump off the small wooden pier and shout something about Imperial patrols and hiding the contraband. They were his kids, all right.

But there were only two. He frowned as he realised that Jacen wasn't following his siblings outside. He turned towards the house they were renting, but couldn't see his older son anywhere. He sighed. Jacen still hadn't got over his phase of wanting to do everything with the Force. Leia, ever-protective, insisted that it was just a phase, but Han was no longer sure. It couldn't be normal for a seven-year-old?nearly eight, as he would insist?boy to prefer meditating to running around the garden.

And Jacen's obsession with levitating and telekinesis was starting to test both Han and Leia's patience at this stage. His efforts were starting to bear fruit, but unfortunately, he lacked the kind of control that enabled someone like Luke to turn off the light without completely destroying its innards. Sure, Han or Chewie could fix the damage?so far, at least?but even then it was Jaina and especially Anakin who were eager to help, not their brother.

Han stood up and made for the house. They were here so that the kids could play outside, not for Jacen to be able to mope around inside. It wasn't doing him any good.

He found Jacen sitting at the lunch table, arguing with his mother. Leia Organa Solo looked beautiful, wearing a navy one-piece swimsuit and an airy, light blue wrap skirt, her hair caught up in a coiled braid. Jacen looked sullen.

"?will be fun," Leia was saying. "Why don't you just give it a try?"

"Nah," Jacen said. "I don't wanna."

"Don't want what?" Han asked.

Leia looked up, and Han knew immediately that she wasn't going to defend Jacen's inactivity this time. Her patience was coming to an end, too.

"Don't wanna go swimming," Jacen said. "I want to practice levitation. I almost got it last time."

Leia got up and moved past him, a request in her eyes. Han nodded, and she smiled and squeezed his hand before leaving to join Jaina and Anakin by the water. Leaving Han to put his foot down, because that was something he did better, at least in this case.

"You don't have to practice all the time, kid," Han said. "Come on outside, have some fun."

"Levitation is fun," Jacen said. "I wanna be able to do what Uncle Luke does."

"Your uncle Luke doesn't do it for fun," Han said. They'd been through this, but if he had to say it again, he would. He sat down across the

14. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Ooooh! This had me grinning like crazy. :D I LOVE seeing Han and Leia as parents. Great discussion Han with Jacen, there. It's so nice to read about the Solo kids being, well, kids and all those lovely problems that come with being a kid. ;)

Great job!

=D=

15. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    How on earth did I not see this earlier? This is wonderful work! I'd love to be put on your pm list.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Awesome solution by Han, there. :) You wrote the kids well, there. Loved their game of smuggler. [face_laugh] Good to see this back up.

17. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I absolutely LOVE your portrayal of Han and Leia as parents. That's something we see too little of in profic. but you've handled it perfectly here!

The kid had definitely inherited Leia's gift for arguing. But then, Han had practice arguing with Leia, too. "That's not how it works," Han said. "And it's not the point. Luke doesn't use the Force to avoid doing things for himself."

Oh yes. I know how he feels. :p

This piece was definitely worth the wait! PLEASE keep me on the PM list. I don't want to miss a single post! =D=

18. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Such a delightful scene! Loved it! =D= =D= =D=

19. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Nicely done by Han! I would imagine it would be like team tag to parent Jedi children, each parent using their own strengths and skills. It's good to use a child's interests to promote the activity desired.

They would play smugglers![face_laugh]

Don't make us wait so long next time, keep these coming. It's nice to see the children in normal everyday situations instead of galaxy threatening danger all the time.

20. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Idrelle - I always think we see too little of Han and Leia as parents in profic. I guess it's because it's not really "Star Wars" if they're not running around saving the galaxy. *lol* Glad you're enjoying this! Thank you!

Empress - thanks so much! You've been added! [:D]

Striker - well, I figured, with their Dad, it was inevitable that they'd play something like that. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed it, thanks!

Vader - I'd love to see more H/L parenting in profic as well, but I suppose it's not really the point. Glad that Han's reaction was realistic, I'm neither a guy nor a parent so I'm a bit in the dark with that! Thank you--I'm gonna do my best to update soon!

Golden - thanks, I'm happy to hear that!

dm1 - yeah, I think it's quite a challenge... especially when you're not Force-sensitive yourself. Glad you enjoyed this! And yeah, I promise I'll be quicker about updating it this time around. Thank you!

I'm already working on the next installment. So next up: Kyp gets to babysit the kids. Which should be fun for him. [face_whistling] I'm currently juggling this and Intuition--the next generation, so to speak--so it might be a little while. But not nearly as long as last time, promise! As always, thanks for reading! [face_peace]

21. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Lovely chapter Iverna. =D= I love summer beach vacations as I'm about to embark on my own. :D Loved the Han and Jace conversations. It always makes my day to see Han impart timeless wisdomw.

Great family time! Well worth the wait. :D

~Piper :)

22. Brown-Eyed_Girl

Brown-Eyed_Girl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2009
    I've only just found this - but I love it. :) A lot of people seemed to complain about the Solo kids, but I really like them, and you've written these snapshots of family life really well. =D=

One small point, I thought Zekk was a couple of years younger than the twins not older, I may be wrong.

23. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Piper - ooh, have fun at the beach! I love the beach as well. I'm glad you enjoyed this, thanks for reading! [:D]

Brown-Eyed Girl - thank you very much! I love the Solo kids, I don't know why people give them such a hard time... ah well. Glad you like this!

Zekk is two years older than the twins, he was born in 7 ABY. I think Allston wrote that he was younger at some point, but that was a continuity error. He's older. ;)

I just got a new cat so I've been busy, but I'm doing my best to get the next installment written!

24. Weasleby

Weasleby Jedi Youngling

Jan 15, 2009
    I absolutely love these stories! You have managed to capture each kids personality perfectly! Keep up the good work!
    PM me please!

25. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Weasleby - Thank you so much! I'm so happy to hear that! I've added you to the list. [:D]