main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Solo Moments - complete 24. December - prologue, thanks, and more!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Another one done! See, quicker than the last one. Like I promised, Kyp gets to babysit the Solo kids, and the Rogues put in an appearance. There's not much in terms of plot this time, I just thought that the Solo kids + Kyp Durron + Rogue Squadron would be lots of fun to write about. Which, as it turns out, is indeed the case.

Oh, before anyone says anything about Wedge being Rogue Leader at this time, when he's supposed to be a general: I'm taking my cue from Timothy Zahn, who has him and Corran and Janson all in Rogue Squadron in 19 ABY. Just to clear that up!

That said, I hope you enjoy this one!

PM list:
    VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    alderaanprincess
    EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Weasleby

Let me know if you'd like to be added to or taken off it!

Rogues At Heart

(Set in 18 ABY.)

Military bases had the potential to be endless amounts of fun. By the second day, Jacen Solo and his siblings had scared the mess staff with a ranat that Jacen had found, reprogrammed one of the service droids in the hangar bay to spray everyone with water, used the briefing room to play "don't touch the ground", and caused a lot of laugher by stealing someone's discarded uniform out of the locker room.

By the third day, their mother had decided against bring them on her second tour of the facilities which was to be followed by meetings and dinner with the brass, and their father had roped in a babysitter.

"Just take them outside as much as you can," Leia said now. "Let them run around and burn off some energy."

The twins looked at each other. They were crouching down by the kitchen door, eavesdropping on the "briefing" to see what the plan was and to try and determine how their babysitter felt about his job. The plan sounded okay so far, Jacen thought. Going outside was absolutely fine by him.

"Right." Kyp Durron's voice sounded confident, and he wasn't even asking about what to do if the kids caused trouble, which was disappointing. But then again, he probably knew that they were eavesdropping and was smart enough not to let his discomfort show. If he felt any.

"Thanks, Kyp." Jacen could hear his mother's smile. Then she raised her voice. "Why don't you two come out and say hi to Kyp?"

Of course she'd known that they were listening. Actually, she probably hadn't even needed the Force for that. Jacen started feeling guilty, and a bit embarrassed at being caught, but Jaina just got up and walked into the hall, acting as if it was the norm for them to eavesdrop. In a way, Jacen supposed, it really was. He followed her.

"Hi Kyp," Jaina said, smiling her friendly smile.

"Hi, Kyp," Jacen echoed. He looked up at the Jedi knight. Kyp Durron was a quintessential Jedi, even though he wasn't as well-known as Uncle Luke. He did everything that a Jedi ought to?chased after criminals, fought the bad guys, said clever philosophical things, and he was really good with a lightsaber as well. He was dressed in the tan and dark brown robes of a Jedi, with a dark green belt from which hung his lightsaber and some other equipment that Jacen couldn't identify. His hair was dark and tousled like Jacen's always was, and he gave the twins a smile that lit up his green eyes and crinkled their corners.

"Hey kids," he said. "Doing all right?"

"Fine," Jacen said, and then Leia ruined his efforts at being sullen by ruffling his hair. Jacen never understood why she did that?she always wanted him to comb it and brush it so that it was neat, and then she ruffled it so it got tangled again. He didn't much care what his hair looked like, but it really didn't make any sense.

"All right," Leia said. "Kyp's in charge of you guys for the day, so behave yourselves. Remember he's a Jedi, so no tricks. He'll be onto them."

"No tricks," Jaina said. She liked Kyp; well, in truth, so did Jacen. Kyp visited them occasionally, and he was usually quite fun. Jacen was just being negative about the whole babysitter thing.

Jaina vehemently agreed with that thought.

Leia lef

2. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Love it! I also like Leia's diplomatic way of saying she was going to have some words later.

3. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Awesome. :) I've always envisioned Kyp being one of their babysitters. He did good, too. Loved them with the Rogues and their anticipation at being able to use the simulators. :D Like a big video game to them!

4. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    =D= Perfectly written! The kids are completely believable, and Kyp does a fantastic job. I love the Rogues as well. Keep up the great work!

5. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Awwww, great viggie! I love the way you write the Solo kids, like -almost- normal kids... =D= =D= =D= =D=

6. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! You do a great job of making them more like a normal family (as normal as it gets when you've got Skywalker and Solo blood!).

=D=

7. The-Solo-Smirk

The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 27, 2008
    Oh! I´d like to be PMed please!
    I am gonna bookmark this and comment later...

8. PrincessBrookSolo

PrincessBrookSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2007
    I loved it=D=:D can I be added to the Pm list please[face_praying]

9. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    dm1 - thanks! Well, Leia's a diplomat for a reason...!

Striker - yeah, I always thought he'd look after them all at some point, too. Couldn't resist adding the Rogues in there, too. Glad you liked it, thanks!

Empress - thank you! Great to hear that they were believable. Yay!

Golden - cheers! I really enjoy writing about them, and it's great that you enjoyed reading!

Vader - yeah, can't be completely normal with that heritage, right? *lol* Glad you liked it!

Solo-Smirk - sure thing, I've added you to the list. I'd love to know what you think of this. :)

BrookSolo - yep, sure, added! Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks for reading, guys! [face_peace]

10. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    Great post with Kyp as babysitter, Iverna. I think that all three children's personalities rang very true, and the Rogues were great.

Keep up the good work. [face_peace]

11. jedikatie26

jedikatie26 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 8, 2005
    I love this story so far.
    If their is a pm list may I be put on it, please and thank you.
    I just started reading this story and I am already hooked.
    Can't wait for more.

12. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    The Mess We Make:

"What happened?" he asked.

"Yeah," Han said, looking at his eldest son. "Why don't you tell Uncle Luke what happened, Jacen?"

Ha ha ha! Han deserves a medal for alternative parenting - uncle Luke = reinforcements

It had taken him a while to understand how they could be so honest while constantly scheming to cause trouble while the grown-ups weren't looking. Knowing Wes Janson had helped, as had the realisation that the twins didn't really mind getting caught, as long as what they had wanted to do had already been done. They were ready to accept responsibility, but preferably for something that could be deemed a success.

[face_laugh] As slick as their ole dad!

If Han managed to get them all to sit down and have their juice and snacks, Luke thought, the man deserved another medal.

ditto!!! [face_laugh]

Small Joys:

Leia turned to see her husband emerge from the arched doorway. He was holding a purple jumper. "C'mere you, put this on ya!"

:D CUTE! Daddy Han.

"Don't like that one."

"What?" Han looked put out. "You told me yesterday that it's your favourite one!"

"Yesterday," Jaina said disdainfully. "Not today.

[face_laugh] How can anyone not be driven nuts?!

If they didn't convince her before she got too stubborn, she would sit there for the next two hours and then give out about not being allowed to play all day. Han always said that their daughter got it from her; she retaliated that she couldn't have got it from him because he still had it.

Loved that part - your portrayal of the Solos is very accurate here, IMO!

Getting The Job Done:

"Dad says there's a difference between fear and respect."

She'd also found out one big secret to looking after children: it helped to treat them as equals. It seemed to make it unnecessary for them to rebel ? and really, it should come as no surprise that Leia and Han Solo's children had a penchant for rebelling ? and it made things easier for her because she was better at talking to equals than to, well, children.

=D= Love Mara playing babysitter! Always have!

The light danced over his small face and reflected in his ice-blue eyes. Of the kids, he was the one who least resembled his parents. The dark, almost black hair was almost like Leia's, and sometimes the quirk to his mouth was like Han's, but that was where it ended. His eyes were lighter than Luke's; light enough to make it seem like he was looking right into you, sometimes.

He was the most difficult to understand of all of them, she thought. And from what she'd heard, all of the grown-ups had struggled with just that. Can't be easy for him.

Anakin is my favourite! Loved how you portray him here as well as his interaction with Mara! They are alike in some ways...

"They don't really understand, do they?" Anakin asked. "That I can be happy on my own?"

She grinned at him. "A lot of people never manage that. So they don't think anyone else can. But take it from me, your independence is the most important thing you'll ever gain."

Exactly! =D= [face_love]

Rough Diamonds:

"Not going if Dad's not!" Jaina shouted, crossing her arms. It was an adult gesture, and one that Han swore she had picked up from her mother. There was no way that anything she got from him could look that adorable.

That's cute! A small version of Leia! [face_laugh]

"I can help him fix it," she said. "I brought my multitool."

[face_laugh] ...and a small version of Han!

"Dad, what's 'innocent facade' mean?"

[face_laugh] Classic!!!

Two hyperactive twins, and a younger son who continually defied logic.

Han grinned to himself. Complicated and difficult they might be, but he loved his kids more than anything. In a way, it made him understand how Leia managed to love him.

Spot-on!

Scavenger:

Grown-ups liked quiet kids, and that was another reason why she didn't understand them. She and Ja

13. kikichan

kikichan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2009
    I love love love all of these ! [face_love]

very well written. I like how you keep the kids in character and also add something to the personalities.

may I please be added to the pm list [face_batting]

14. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    Piper - hey, it's great to hear from you again! [:D] So glad to hear I got the personalities to shine through, thank you!

katie - thank you! I'll put you on the PM list, sure. :)

Solo-Smirk - thanks for such an in-depth comment!

Ha ha ha! Han deserves a medal for alternative parenting

He really does!

Loved that part - your portrayal of the Solos is very accurate here, IMO!

I'm really happy to hear that, thank you!

Anakin is my favourite! Loved how you portray him here as well as his interaction with Mara! They are alike in some ways...

I love Anakin as well. His relationship with Mara was one of the best in the NJO series so I really wanted to write about it.

Janson + Solo kids = deadly combination of pranksters!

Absolutely! They're a riot to write, as well!

Very well written, these vignettes! Excellent characterization, especially regarding the kids!

Thank you, I'm flattered. I'm glad you enjoyed reading them!

Kiki - aww, thanks so much! That's really nice of you! Of course I'll put you on the list! [:D]

I've been a bit swamped, but I'll hopefully have a new installment ready to post soon-ish! Thanks for reading!

15. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    UP, UP, UP...and a reminder for me that an update can be expected soon.

16. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    You don't need to see my double post. Move along!

17. Iverna

Feb 20, 2008
    I've got very erratic with updating this, but here's a short piece for Christmas. Okay, so it has nothing to do with Christmas. But even so. It takes place when the twins are thirteen, and Han takes them up in the Falcon to let them fly it for the first time.

PM list
    VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    Fel_Freak228
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    alderaanprincess
    EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Weasleby
    The-Solo-Smirk
    PrincessBrookSolo
    jedikatie26
    kikichan

Born To Fly

(Set in 22 ABY.)

"Be careful." Leia Organa Solo gave her husband a warning look. Jaina and Jacen both laughed as Han flung up both of his arms in mock surrender.

"Hey," he said. "Don't worry. Nothing's going to happen."

"Hyperdrive works?" she asked pointedly.

"Mom," Jaina said, "we're not even going into hyperspace."

Han grinned at his daughter and gave Leia a smug look. "See?"

Leia shook her head and turned to her oldest son with a wry look on her face. "Jacen, I'm counting on you to stop them from trying anything stupid."

Jacen grinned, a lop-sided grin that brought out his resemblance to his father. "What, I have to be grown up enough for Dad and Jaina? That's impossible."

"For you, yes," Jaina shot back. "You're no match. Although," she grinned, "your voice is a nice mix of both, you're ?"

She shrieked when Jacen, the butt of too many jokes regarding his breaking voice, dug his finger into her ribs.

"C'mon, you two," Han said as Jaina squirmed away from Jacen, giggling. "Let's go, huh?"

Jacen gestured at the Millennium Falcon's ramp and grinned at his sister. "Age before beauty."

She landed a punch on his arm and ran up the ramp before he could retaliate. He gave a yell and raced after her. Something crashed and Jaina shrieked again. Han sighed, waved at his wife, and hurried up the ramp after his kids.

Jaina had already claimed the co-pilot's seat, which didn't surprise him a whole lot, and Jacen stood behind her, bouncing on the balls of his feet. Han dropped into the pilot's chair and turned to regard both of his kids.

"All right," he said. "I'm going to take her up, we get well away from the major traffic lanes, and then you can take turns at the helm. Not before that."

They both nodded, Jacen still fidgeting and Jaina seemingly unable to get the grin off her face. He couldn't help but grin back. Their excitement was infectious, a mirror of what he'd felt the first time he'd been allowed behind the controls of a ship.

"First things first," Han said, "pre-flight check. The ship will do most of it automatically, you just key in the command." He flicked a few switches, more slowly than usual to allow the twins to follow the routine. "This simulates sublight engines, here's the hyperdrive?"

"?which is important," Jacen threw in.

Han chuckled. Leia really was never going to let it go. The twins had never even experienced a hyperdrive malfunction. "Right," he said. "This is all just simulation, since we can't fire it for real. The system just checks if all the circuits are working." He was pretty sure that Jaina already knew most of this, but Jacen probably hadn't picked up quite as much. And Jaina was surprising him by sitting in silence, taking in every word, as attentive as Han had never seen her before.

"Then you check the repulsors, degaussers?" he went on, pointing to the relevant displays and lights in the console.

"It says 'stabilisers' on that one," Jacen said, stabbing a finger at the console.

"Right, right." Han sighed. So much for doing things by the book. In a ship like the Falcon, that was pretty much impossible, even though he really was trying his best. Chewie and he almost never ran the complete pre-flights. "We had to rewire the degausser cables because?well, never mind, but the displays are swapped until we can sort it out. Stabilisers show up over here. It's not really important as long as they all work."

Jacen laughed. "Uh-huh."

Han cleared his throat

18. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I love these! Han as flight instructor, wow! He showed a lot of patience and restraint here, but he's right. The kids are Solos and Skywalkers, how could they not pilot? It was very insightful to realize Jacen's initial fear, but his determination to try anyway and conquer his fears.

The comment at the end, "On my ship, things break themselves," was hilarious. Imagine Han saying that, I never would have thought it!

Keep these coming!

19. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    This was very nice. Han and the kids were perfect. :) It'd make sense for Jaina to be more comfortable, but also for Jacen to gain more confidence. han was han, cautious but knowing his limits. Can't wait for more and hope it's soon.

20. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    Oh wow, I am so glad this got updated! Classic Jaina, just jumping right into it. Classic Jacen too. You really write the twins very well. Awesome work!

21. Brown-Eyed_Girl

Brown-Eyed_Girl Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2009
    great to see more of this

22. The-Solo-Smirk

Jun 27, 2008
    I am so glad that you are updating again! Bless you! :D

My favourite moment was when Han said: "Well, on my ship things break themselves!"
    [face_laugh]

23. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Han shook his head and reached out to put a hand on his son's shoulder. "You're a Solo and a Skywalker. Flying's in your blood."

Jaina leaned forward, grinning. "So's breaking things," she said, "remember?"

"On my ship, things break themselves," Han said defensively, and was rewarded by laughter from both of his kids.

Beautiful! =D= =D= =D=

24. Thalassa

Thalassa Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2008
    Wonderful update! =D= I love reading about the Solo children when they were younger and you did a nice job with it. Showing them in a rather ?normal? situation was a lot of fun to read.

25. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Just found this, and I really like it. Its great to see them before things went downhill. But that's another story :) Anyways, PM when you update :)