Beyond Solo Moments - complete 24. December - prologue, thanks, and more!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Iverna, Mar 9, 2008.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Sweet wonderful family moments.

Those eatables sound delicious.
  2. Briannakin Grand Moff Darth Fanfic Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I LOVE the cover.

As someone who lost a parent at a young age (I was 10, so Jaina's and Jacen's age in this fic) I knw how frightening it is. But I'm glad it had a happy ending..

?So Uncle Luke has to like you even though everyone else thinks you?re annoying,? Jaina added, eyes sparkling

[face_laugh] kids say the truest things.
  3. AzureAngel2 Chosen One

star 6
    I love the cover and it calms me a bit after being introduced to all the horrors of NJO.

This is more what I want to read: family comedy with real family drama going on. Thanks for writing this!

[:D]
  4. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    That's an awesome cover, there. :D Also, poor kids![:D][:D] You wrote that quite well, there. And yes, Luke had to rescue Mara. She's not infallible after all. ;)
  5. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Sweet viggie and love to see the beautiful cover now accompanying it. PM next time:)
  6. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Wonderful missing moment. It felt very true.

That is a great cover. :D

7. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Great cover! :)

Jaina asked. ?Daddy can?t crash the Falcon!?
    So he told you. :p

?Well, but that doesn?t make him a bad guy,? Han said. ?Lots of people I don?t like aren?t bad guys. Fel was just... annoying. But Wedge likes him just fine.?

Jacen grinned. ?That?s ?cause he married Wedge?s sister, right?? he said. ?Like you married Uncle Luke?s sister??

?So Uncle Luke has to like you even though everyone else thinks you?re annoying,? Jaina added, eyes sparkling.

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

Jaina asked. ?And don?t tell me they?re all like Baron Fel now.?
    Oh Jaina...

Anakin gave him an exasperated look. ?I already digested it all.?
    Anakin so absolutely adorable.

Great moment!
  8. pinkpearl89 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    This was really sweet and touching. I love that they were comforting each other, and that they didn't really understand since they are just little kids.

Also, the reunion was adorable. Those kids are hilarious :p
  9. The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Good that Han and Leia showed up in the end - I love your stories best when all 5 (7 counting Chewie and Luke)are together.

I have to read Vision of the Future again because I cannot remember that incident around which you built this chapter...granted, I read most of the books when I was 15 or something that was ages ago :)
  10. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    As an addendum of sorts, here's the illustration that goes with this story:

[image=http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/150/f/2011/184/e/d/chewie_and_the_kids_by_svenjaliv-d3kuen1.jpg]
    (click here for full view)

Jacen, Anakin, and Jaina gathered around Chewie while he tries to raise the Solos.

Glad that everyone's enjoyed this story! [:D]

Book-Geek

LOL! Poor Mara might never live that down!
    Probably not, nope. *lol*

Very sweet viggie.
    Thank you!

Haley

Bahaahahahahahaha!
    :D

Yep, Leia you should know.
    She's a bit of an expert on the matter, all right!

Like Book-Geeksaid: Mara might not ever live it down!
    Yeah, probably not! But it gives Luke & Co a bit of ammo, at least. :p

Great chapter and I love the cover for the story!
    Thank you very much!

Jade_eyes

Sweet wonderful family moments.
    I'm glad you're enjoying them!

Those eatables sound delicious.
    They do, don't they? I re-read Chewie's wedding to get some ideas, and it made me hungry!!

Briannakin

I LOVE the cover.
    Yay, thank you!

As someone who lost a parent at a young age (I was 10, so Jaina's and Jacen's age in this fic) I knw how frightening it is. But I'm glad it had a happy ending..
    Wow, yeah, I can't even imagine. It must be terrifying!

kids say the truest things.
    They really do! I love writing precocious kids like these guys.

Azure

I love the cover and it calms me a bit after being introduced to all the horrors of NJO.
    That's fantastic, and I'm glad you like it!

This is more what I want to read: family comedy with real family drama going on. Thanks for writing this!
    I'm glad to hear that, that's brilliant. [:D]

Striker

That's an awesome cover, there. Also, poor kids! You wrote that quite well, there. And yes, Luke had to rescue Mara. She's not infallible after all.
    I'm glad you like the cover, thanks! Yeah, the kids had a rough time of it. I'm happy that it came across for you. And nope, Mara isn't infallible... much to her chagrin, I think!

earlybird

Sweet viggie and love to see the beautiful cover now accompanying it. PM next time
    Thank you, and I've added you to the list!

Hazel

Wonderful missing moment. It felt very true.
    That's great to hear, I'm glad.

That is a great cover.
    Thank you!!

Fels

Great cover!
    Thank you!!

So he told you.
    Yeah - don't know if kids should believe everything a Han Solo tells them. *lol*

Anakin so absolutely adorable.
    I love Anakin, he's one of my favourites.

Great moment!
    Thanks!

pinkpearl

This was really sweet and touching. I love that they were comforting each other, and that they didn't really understand since they are just little kids.
    Yeah, I think that must be such a tough situation to be in... even for adults, actually. You know something's wrong but you don't know what. Got to be terrifying. But at least they have each other!

Also, the reunion was adorable. Those kids are hilarious
    I'm glad you think so! Thanks!

The-Solo-Smirk

Good that Han and Leia showed up in the end - I love your stories best when all 5 (7 counting Chewie and Luke)are together.
    Glad you liked it! I like having them all together as well. They're a fun family to write, definitely!

I have to read Vision of the Future again because I cannot remember that incident around which you built this chapter...granted, I read most of the books when I was 15 or something that was ages ago
    Oh, right! I've read it a few times and the last time was just a few weeks ago, so it was fresh in my mind. It's actually reasonably near the start of the book.
  11. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    I have an update! This one's a prequel to "Tavern Songs", in which Anakin and the twins go exploring Coruscant with Zekk. It's also the last one for this series. There'll be a "prologue" of sorts to come soon, just as a last little addition, but I won't be writing any more vigs, at least not for a long time. There are too many other plot bunnies requiring attention!

I've edited all of these stories to add in extra bits and make them more coherent, and I'll be updating them on the blog I set up if anyone's interested. I'll put up links etc when I post the last little part in a few days. Thanks for reading, everyone, and enjoy this one!

PM list:

VaderLVR64
    mara_jade_rox
    dm1
    RK_Striker_JK_5
    THE_PIED_PIPER
    Golden_Jedi
    Idrelle_Miocovani
    alderaanprincess
    EmpressJainaSoloFel
    Weasleby
    The-Solo-Smirk
    jedikatie26
    FelsGoddess
    Sticks
    pinkpearl89
    shahid_chestro
    AzureAngel2
    Katana_Sundancer
    haleyskywalker

Salvage Adventures

(set in 21 ABY)

Coruscant was a planet covered entirely in city, its buildings peaking up into the atmosphere, a majestic sight and an often overwhelming experience for visitors.

For Anakin Solo, it was home. But it still intrigued him, standing as he did now in what felt like the middle of it. He looked at the buildings around him, tracing the power lines, watching the fluctuations as the lines interwove and branched out and flared to life.

?Come on!?

Anakin tore his attention away from the buildings that towered above him, full of life and power. Jaina was tugging at his hand, and he looked to see a familiar impatience on her features.

?Stop daydreaming,? she said. ?We have to stay together.?

He fell into step beside her, but she didn?t let go of his hand. ?I can walk on my own,? he complained.

Jaina didn?t care. She was in full big-sister mode, with that in-charge expression and posture that she always got when she had to look after him. Jacen was supposed to look after him, too, but it was Jaina who always took charge. She was good at it, too, Anakin conceded. He was just a little annoyed at being treated like a kid.

But it helped to remind himself that she wasn?t really in charge. Not even Zekk was really in charge. Barkhimkh and Cakhmaim were. The Noghri were somewhere nearby, keeping an eye on the kids while staying in the background. It was the only way Leia would let the kids explore the city, and Anakin had to admit that it made sense.

Jaina kept hold of his hand as they caught up to Jacen and Zekk, who were strolling through the crowd on the walkway just a few steps ahead.

?... wanted to stop by here,? Zekk was saying, pointing a small repair shop out to Jacen. Anakin looked. It looked run-down, wedged between two larger shops that didn?t look much better. They weren?t in the best part of Coruscant here, even though he knew that it got much, much worse further down.

Zekk looked around, smiling as Jaina and Anakin came up beside him. ?Mind if we go in for a minute? The guy owes me money.?

Anakin smiled back at him. Zekk lived almost on his own, spending most of his time hunting for salvage in Coruscant?s midlevels and selling it for a living. At fourteen, he was only two years older than the twins, and the only kid Anakin knew who actually earned his own money and got by on his own. Granted, Zekk did live with Peckhum, but the old spacer was gone much of the time, leaving Zekk to his own devices.

When Jacen and Jaina had first met and befriended Zekk, their mother had offered to help him and find him a proper place to live. But Zekk had declined. He was happy with Peckhum.

?No problem,? Jaina said now. She loved everything to do with repair and mechanics work. Anakin understood that, even though he did it a bit differently than she did. He nodded.

He was the last to enter. The twins stood beside Zekk, Jaina intrigued by the things for sale, Jacen following the discussion as Zekk talked to the owner, an older man who looked as run-down as his shop. Anakin didn?t pay them any attention. There was too much else to look at.

Many of the machines and ap/>
  12. AzureAngel2 Chosen One

star 6
    ?Good.? Zekk regarded the slicer module, a mischievous, thoughtful expression on his face. ?I bet we?ll find a great use for this thing.?

Oh better not, I dare say!
  13. FelsGoddess Game Host

Game Host
    star 5
    Jacen stared at him. ?That?s your plan? That?s crazy.?

?The Lady Vader?s firstson is right,? Cakhmaim spoke up for the first time, appearing at Jacen?s side. ?You are not a trained climber

[face_laugh]

Anakin's inner dialogue about how annoying his siblings new behaviors were adorable. Poor kid having to deal with growing siblings. :p

14. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Nice update showing the characters of the kids. Love Zekk in this one. And Anakin with his ideas.
  15. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Loved this so much :D

I really miss this side of Anakin - it was the best part of the Corellian Trilogy.

Great job!

@};-
  16. pinkpearl89 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Zekk had recently started behaving in that way that Lando called ?being a gentleman?.

Oh Zekk :rolleyes: I wish we could tell him now that he's fighting a loosing battle, poor kid

It was odd when he did it with Jaina, because Jaina wasn?t really a girl, she was Anakin?s sister.

Gotta love little boys -- it's the only time they're even vaguely innocent [face_laugh] Of course your sister isn't really a girl...

?Blasters, a slicer module... I don?t think these guys were up to anything good.?

This moment just struck me because it is clearly not innocent, but seems pretty tame considering most of the things they get up to in their later years

Great update! What exactly are you doing with this thread now?
  17. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Nice adventure full of insights as well =D=
  18. Book-Geek Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Oh, this sounds like it's leading to some more trouble from the Solo trio with help from Zekk. ;)
  19. RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost

star 7
    Okay, great to see how they got the slicer module... but the Noghri coming outta nowhere like that scared the shavit out of me! [face_laugh]
  20. Sticks Force Ghost

star 4
    I second Hazel's sentiments about Anakin's way with machines being the best part of the Corellian Trilogy. And I loved this installment! :D
  21. PirateofRohan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  22. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    AzureAngel

Oh better not, I dare say!

FelsGoddess

Anakin's inner dialogue about how annoying his siblings new behaviors were adorable. Poor kid having to deal with growing siblings.
    Yeah, they might not be much older than him, but... somehow I get the feeling that even Jacen thought that about Jaina sometimes.

earlybird

Nice update showing the characters of the kids. Love Zekk in this one. And Anakin with his ideas.
    Thanks! I like writing young Zekk. And Anakin's always fun as well, of course! =D

Hazel

Loved this so much
    Awesome, yay!

I really miss this side of Anakin - it was the best part of the Corellian Trilogy.
    Oh, me too! Definitely. I loved the kids in those books, especially Anakin, but those talents of his just kind of went away never to be spoken of again. I'd have loved to see them develop as he grew older.

Great job!
    Thank you!

pinkpearl

Oh Zekk. I wish we could tell him now that he's fighting a loosing battle, poor kid
    *lol* Yeah, might be better for him in the long run... besides, in the SW galaxy you have a more-than-fair chance as a scoundrel, anyway!

Gotta love little boys -- it's the only time they're even vaguely innocent. Of course your sister isn't really a girl...
    Oh, absolutely. But even when they're little and innocent they might well be doing it on purpose. *lol*

This moment just struck me because it is clearly not innocent, but seems pretty tame considering most of the things they get up to in their later years
    Very true, I hadn't even thought of that. I guess none of the kids really had a very innocent upbringing, though, what with the Solos always in the middle of action and Zekk being a street kid...

Great update! What exactly are you doing with this thread now?
    Thank you! And well... nothing, I guess. Once I post the very last little bit I guess it's done. Sadness. =( I might do a Volume II some day if I get more inspiration.

jade_eyes

Nice adventure full of insights as well
    Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Book-Geek

Oh, this sounds like it's leading to some more trouble from the Solo trio with help from Zekk.
    Definitely. They did go to the holographic zoo a few days later... *g*

Striker

Okay, great to see how they got the slicer module... but the Noghri coming outta nowhere like that scared the shavit out of me!
    Haha, I guess that's the idea with the Noghri though. I'm sure they'd be gratified to hear that. *g*

Sticks

I second Hazel's sentiments about Anakin's way with machines being the best part of the Corellian Trilogy. And I loved this installment!
    Yeah, I really wish they'd followed up on that. But no, he was just another regular mechanic-type guy, and even that we didn't see much. Ah well. Glad you enjoyed this!

PirateofRohan

Brilliant!
    Thank you!

Right... okay, it's been way longer than intended, but I do have another small update as promised. I'll post it up in just a sec.
  23. Iverna Force Ghost

star 4
    So, in true Solo fashion, I'm doing this all backwards and finishing the series with a prologue. When I started this, it wasn't supposed to be a chronological, coherent whole, but it grew into something a bit different.

I've edited and compiled all of the stories in this thread into a PDF file, complete with index, cover, prologue, and illustrations.

Download it from Rapidshare

And to finish up, in the interests of completeness, here's the prologue. I wrote it for the "book" and it's AU. I never understood that decision to send the kids away. It never made sense to me.

Prologue

(Set in 9 ABY.)

She?d thought about it, and talked about it, and thought about it some more. She?d imagined saying goodbye to her children, seeing them only once every few months, letting Luke and Winter take them to safety. Ever since Luke had suggested it, she hadn?t been able to get it out of her head.

Keep them safe, he?d said. Safe from her enemies, and Han?s enemies, and safe from any potential Dark Side influence that might be hovering around Coruscant.

But the Dark Side wasn?t some nebulous shadow that would snatch someone while they weren?t looking. The Dark Side was a choice.

There was no safety from choices. The only defences against the Dark Side were good training and a strong moral compass.

And, according to Jedi lore, a child?s innocence.

Now Leia stood before her brother again, and she looked him straight in the eye and lifted her chin. ?The answer is no,? she said. ?You aren?t taking them anywhere. I won?t orphan my children on purpose, and I won?t lock them away in a tower for fear that life might happen to them.?

To her surprise, he nodded, a rueful expression on his face. ?I know,? he said. ?And I?m sorry. I?ve been so...? He shook his head. ?Worried, I guess. Terrified. Just terrified that I?ll screw up.?

?We won?t let you,? Han spoke up. ?Look, I want the kids to have the childhood I never got. With parents, family, friends, the works.?

?I know,? Luke said again. ?I?m not fighting you. I talked to Mara earlier, and she... she put a few things straight for me. I know that there aren?t any guarantees, and there?s no rule book. All I can do is my best, and I will.?

?We will,? Leia said, smiling as the tension from the past few days fell away from her. She took Han?s hand. ?We?ve had plenty of practice with improvisation. It?s worked out pretty well so far.?

Han grinned. ?Oh, I think we?ll do all right.?

And again, thanks for reading, everyone. Your support is what kept this going for as long as it did. Thank you! [:D]
    />
  24. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 7
    Enjoyed the prologue. =D= I know that must've been the hardest thing they ever did sending the kids away.

Especially in light of future events [face_thinking] :(

25. Hazel Force Ghost

star 4
    Loved this final prologue! :)

This was a great series and I'm sorry to see it end.

[:D]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade