main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Solo Solo Reactions Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Pro Scoundrel , May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  2. Smooth.cat

Smooth.cat Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2016
    Be careful with spoilers out there.

Cantina Regular and Bor Mullet like this.
  3. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Hmm? Interesting. So far the reactions are quite positive.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

A few like this.
    I suppose there's a slower establishing start. Some people felt like this for Rogue, but I love that stuff.

5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    “Marvel-level **** that will make you wonder where Lucasfilm is headed next.”

What... happens in this movie?

6. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
  7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Whenever I hear “slow start” I read it as a positive, even if the reviewer doesn’t. I get worried when reviewers say “it’s wall to wall action from the beginning, and never lets up.” The first bit of Rogie One, especially the prologue, is my favorite bit. The setup is just as important as the delivery, and setups should take a little time.

eko32eko7, JeeediMoriah, Kole and 8 others like this.
  8. Bossk_Baby

Bossk_Baby Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2018
    That last line makes me very curious. “Big Marvel-sequence ****” cameos or references we haven’t got whiff of yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.
  9. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015

That got me too.
    I always figured Han meets Chewie,Lando and acquires the Falcon somehow. They have some adventures, and.... the story as we know it goes on.

Does the ending leave us with hanging sequel bait?

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  10. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    ouch, its hard hearing that from perri

11. ComfortablyNunb

Nov 21, 2015
    One person saying "slow start" and another saying "non-stop adventure." Seems like it's just personal taste.

Whenever I rewatch ANH, I'm struck by two things: 1) how "slow" the first act can be 2) how funny, even jokey, it is.

12. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Kristian Harloff is going to wait to see what everyone says before he gives an opinion. I hate that.

11-4D likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m guessing there’s a final scene, or post-credit scene, that strongly hints at Solo sequels, and includes elements or characters we’ve seen before. Could be an RO crossover (Saw and his gang?), a first meeting with Jabba, or a hint that Vos is working for the Emperor? Something that strongly hints at future interconnectivity.

14. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Her’s is the only negative reaction I’ve seen.

15. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I hate reading dumb things like "not sure we needed it". We don't need any movie. The thing that matters is if it's entertaining and worth the time. If it is, you're good.

16. ComfortablyNunb

Nov 21, 2015
    IIRC, she's always been strongly against the existence of this movie. Not that her opinion isn't just as valid as the others, but she wasn't in-the-tank for SW this time as most people would assume (being a superfan from Collider).

Also, I never trust someone who likes (or hates) everything. I can shout my love for TFA and TLJ from the rooftops because I don't like Rogue One and hate all of the prequels (even ROTS).

Trikuza23 likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Honestly, I don’t trust reviews from the more fannish critics, positive or negative. There are a few actual film critics that have very similar tastes as I do, and their opinions after Cannes are what I’ll be looking for. In any event, though, it’s looking good.

ETA: That said, I agree with Perri’s love for Rogue One, so her reaction does worry me just a tad. That said, she was hoping for higher stakes with this one, and I’m hoping that they’re low! Expectations can mess with your first viewing.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, it's one of the worst, laziest criticisms you can make about a movie. :rolleyes:

19. Smooth.cat

Dec 25, 2016
    Good to see the positive reactions after the assumption that this was going to be trash because of behind the scene stuff.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  20. ComfortablyNunb

Nov 21, 2015
    Agreed. I love the content Collider puts up because it's very entertaining and the host/panels have great chemistry (esp. love Mark Ellis). But one way or the other, I don't take their critical opinions too seriously. Heck, I hated Infinity War and consider it to be the first horseman of the movie apocalypse...but most all of the "pundit" community (Collider, Screenjunkies, etc.) seemed to love it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Yep looking at the overall reactions it sounds like it is a fun movie but maybe not as deep as some we're hoping for.

All good. I don't think these stand-alones ate really intended to add a great deal of depth anyways.

22. Smooth.cat

Dec 25, 2016
  23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Not just this one, but multiple tweets have been like, “Stay away from spoilers, tons of surprises in this movie, seriously, avoid all spoilers.”

I’m now dying of curiosity. Does it end with Billy Dee as Lando telling this story to Rey, Finn and Poe? Does it hint at some big, weird stuff that’s clearly being set up for future films of any kind, like history or lore? I try to be measured about stuff like this, but Peter Sciretta is generally pretty levelheaded and he’s making it sound like something more than just neat Easter eggs.

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Funny thing about Collider is that a lot of the more ho-hum reactions I am seeing are coming from the Collider folk.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Depends on the movie. Rogue One added a great deal of depth, IMO. But this is a Han Solo flick, and I’m perfectly fine with a lighter romp (especially one that looks this good). I imagine that if we get Obi-wan next, it’ll be a heavier affair.

avcpl and Trikuza23 like this.
  26. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm an Admin on the CJC Facebook page and we are tracking reactions as well. I noticed that right away. The reactions aren't awful, just not over the moon for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.