main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo twins age in SbS screw-up

Discussion in 'Literature' started by wk_sock, Nov 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Bib, Maverick, like I said, it is quite easy to reconcile. Just because one calendar is dominant in the GFFA, does not mean that one calendar is used for everything.

The official, government standard calendar has 10 months. It is the calendar used for legal documents and in many social conventions.

However, for some things, other calendars are sometimes used. In this case, it is a lunar calendar for describing Leia/Mara/any other woman's pregnancy.

This is not so difficult to accept. Here on Earth, there are several different calendars in use today. The most common is the Gregorian calendar. However, there is a separate Jewish calendar (lunar-based numbering years from the time of the Exodus), a Chinese calendar, the old Julian calendar. The Aztecs used another calendar that is still used in some villages in Mexico. Don't forget the Mayans, Olmecs, Egyptians and other societies that have existed in just the last 4000 years.

2. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    "I have already shown you my source."

Nope, you keep repeating the WEG 10 month calender, which I both acknowlege, and use in my timeline. Never have you given me a source that says that SW women are pregnant for 7.5 months. You've used fan-logic.

"Many authors still think that the GFFA follows a 12-month system, so it is no surprise that the 9-month pregnany sneaks in every once in a while. 7.5 is correct because it is a similar amount of days to an Earth female pregnancy. "

But NJO authors ARE using the 10 month calender, as I pointed out to you. Balance Point clearly states that it has been both 10 months after VP, and one year.

As Mr. Kiball points out, it is very possible that the SW lunar cycle or gravity on various planets may have an affect on a woman's pregnancy.

Edit: meanwhile, check out my timeline, that shows without a doubt, that the 7.5 month pregnancy cant work in relation to how much time has spanned in the books already.

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    But my timeline does show how the 7.5-month pregnancy fits.

4. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Maverick, I never claimed that "the SW lunar cycle or gravity on various planets may have an affect on a woman's pregnancy." I was stating that they may use a different calendar for referring to pregnancy, basing it on lunar months instead of "official" months.

By that reasoning, a pregnancy can last both 9 and 7.5 months at the same time (as long as it is 9 lunar and 7.5 official months).

5. solo_yt1300

solo_yt1300 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 11, 2001
    Being the crazed person I am I will sugest this...

Maybe Jedi babies stay longer than normal babies, to grow in the force or something.

in The Last Command, pg79 "...after ten hours of laber-after nine months of pregnancy-..."

6. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Yes, but your timeline is dead wrong.

25/9: Vector Prime
    26/2: Onslaught

Onslaught takes place 2 months after VP, not 3.

26/4: Ruin

Ruin takes place just after Onslaught.

26/6: Hero's Trial

Hero's Trial takes place 6 months after VP, not 7.

27/1: Jedi Eclipse

Jedi Eclipse takes place very soon after Hero's Trial.

27/3: Balance Point

Balance Point takes place 10 months after VP, not 14.

27/5: Conquest

Conquest takes place only a few months after BP (which you have correct) but your placement in relation to the other books is wrong.

27/9: Rebirth

Ok, even if it is 7 months (for argument's sake), you have it only 6 months after Balance Point.

28/4: Star By Star

And Ben is only 4 months in SxS, not 5.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    i'm also accounting for how long each individual book takes. They all didn't take place in one day, after all.

And Mara actually got pregnant in Jedi Eclipse; she just didn't notice it until Balance Point.

8. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Of course not, but they all basically say how many months it has been since the last book (more or less) within the first 100 pages.

Beyond that, none of them span more than a month.

9. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Ill try and get the page numbers for each reference to dating:

Onslaught pg. 8
    "...she saw Danni Quee, the young woman who barely two months ago had survived an attack and capture by an aggressive alien group..."

Hero's Trial pg. 15
    "Chewbacca had died six months earlier..."

Balance Point (HC) pg. 2 "The situation was hauntingly similar to Sernpidal's last hours, almost ten months ago."

Rebirth pg. 52 "But Mara's in her final month," Luke said. "If it took eight months for the toxins to build up-"

You'll note that it's Luke who says this. Not the all knowing voice of God/The Force/narrator. He doesn't mention the 7.5 months, and he's a guy who uses the Coruscant calender.

10. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    But for that to be true, then SBS cannot take place when you say it is.

11. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Take another look at my timeline, Bib. It works and follows exactly what the books say.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I propose that The NJO does not actually take place when the timeline says it does. I will work backwards from SBS to show this. We know that the twins were born at 9/4, because in the opening pages of HTTE, Leia is 3 months pregnant. So SBS can take place no earlier than 28/4

28/4: Star By Star

Ben is 4 months old during SBS, so that means that Ben was born at 28/0. Since his birth was at the end of the book, I think that Rebirth was actually at 27/9.

27/9: Rebirth

Jaina is decribed as being 18 in Rebirth, and she was described as 17 in Conquest, so Conquest took place no later than 27/4.

27/4: Conquest

Balance Point is described as 10 months after Chewie's death, but this is also when Mara first learns she is pregnant. Given that the events of BP seem to take place right on the tail of JE, BP must be about 27/2.

27/2: Balance Point

Jedi Eclipse takes place over a long period of time, so my guess is that it starts at 27/0 and ends shortly before BP takes over.

27/0: Jedi Eclipse

Hero's Trial takes place 6 months after Chewie died, and therefore 4 months before Balance Points.

26/8: Hero's Trial

Ruin takes place 4 months after Chewie died, and it is also the first time Jacen and Jaina are described as being 17.

26/6: Ruin

Since Jacen and Jaina are 16 in Onslaught, and that this is 2 months after VP, this must be just a few days before their birthday.

26/4: Onslaught

By deduction, Vector Prime actually took place at 26/2.

26/2: Vector Prime

13. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "I propose that The NJO does not actually take place when the timeline says it does. I will work backwards from SBS to show this. We know that the twins were born at 9/4, because in the opening pages of HTTE, Leia is 3 months pregnant. So SBS can take place no earlier than 28/4"

Why are you so willing to throw out what LFL says, in order to keep your fan logic plausible?

"Ben is 4 months old during SBS, so that means that Ben was born at 28/0. Since his birth was at the end of the book, I think that Rebirth was actually at 27/9."

Rebirth doesn't actually span all that long an amount of time. It's Conquest that takes place over the course of a month. Also, it wouldn't be 28/0, it'd be 27.10 (otherwise the year is only 9 months long). I'll demonstrate:

SW4 (spans 5 days. a month passes until)
    1 month ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    2 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    3 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    4 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    5 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    6 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    7 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    8 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    9 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    10 months ASW4
    (a month passes until)
    1 year ASW4

"Jaina is decribed as being 18 in Rebirth, and she was described as 17 in Conquest, so Conquest took place no later than 27/4."

I don't recall Jaina actually being in Conquest...can I get a page number?

"Balance Point is described as 10 months after Chewie's death, but this is also when Mara first learns she is pregnant. Given that the events of BP seem to take place right on the tail of JE, BP must be about 27/2."

Hmm, it seems to me that Leia has been on Duros for a while at the beginning of BP, and that she was just leaving in JE. They're not immediately after each other.

"Jedi Eclipse takes place over a long period of time, so my guess is that it starts at 27/0 and ends shortly before BP takes over."

No longer than a month though. It's really not important. Any time between 6 and 10 months after VP works.

"Hero's Trial takes place 6 months after Chewie died, and therefore 4 months before Balance Points."

Agreed.

"Ruin takes place 4 months after Chewie died, and it is also the first time Jacen and Jaina are described as being 17."

Hmmm, I recall it taking place right after Onslaught, which spans a month according to page 279. I'd say more like 3 months after VP. Got a page number?

"Since Jacen and Jaina are 16 in Onslaught, and that this is 2 months after VP, this must be just a few days before their birthday."

Possibly, but only by your timeline.

"By deduction, Vector Prime actually took place at 26/2. "

This still contradicts LFL's official timelines.

14. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I don't recall Jaina actually being in Conquest...can I get a page number?

Jaina was in Conquest, but barely. I believe it is in the opening debate with Kyp that either Jacen or Jaina is described as 17.

Hmm, it seems to me that Leia has been on Duros for a while at the beginning of BP, and that she was just leaving in JE. They're not immediately after each other.

Well, from the way the Vong assault on Kalarba was going in JE and BP, I'd say they were pretty darn close to each other.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Im not 100% positive, but Im pretty sure in Rebirth it states that Anakin is seventeen, therefore the twins should between 18 and 18.5 in SbS, no ? Its very possible my caluculations are incorrect, I just figured Id thrown in my $0.2

16. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Anakin is still 16 in Rebirth, I believe, but it is possible that his 17th birthday was only right around the corner.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    where did the 10-month calendar idea come from? I've never heard about this.

18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    The 10-month thing has always been around in the GFFA.

19. wk_sock

wk_sock Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2001
    I think we need an official source to answer some of our questions.

But the guy who messed up the SbS timeline ;)

wk_sock

20. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Both of you guys are wrong about the placement of stories per Anakin's birth.

Kathy Tyers stated that Mara was about 2 months pregnant already at Balance Point. :D That really screws with everything - especially since she didn't happen to mention if she was talking 2 earth months or 2 GFFA months. :eek:

21. Genghis_the_Dead_12

Genghis_the_Dead_12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2001
    Besides, correlating earth time (births) with GFFA time, the one flaw is there's no minute. :D So, one cannot equate 9 earth months to 7.5 GFFA months, because there's 60 seconds in one earth minute, yet there's 60 GFFA seconds in one GFFA hour.

So, to do a proper equation, one has to take the unit down to the smallest equal measure, in this case it's the second. And, we have to assume that one earth second is sequal to one Galactic Standard second, in any case.

The only real conclusion one is able to reach without assumption is that earth time (and therefore earth human gestation periods, etc.) does not equate to Galactic Standard Time (and therefore GFFA human gestation periods). In actuality, "time" moves about 59.x times quicker in the GFFA than it does here - and that's assuming that a GFFA second = an earth second. [face_plain]

22. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "The 10-month thing has always been around in the GFFA. "

Since the RPG at least...

It makes an appearance in one of the Tapani books, I believe.

23. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    "Both of you guys are wrong about the placement of stories per Anakin's birth."

Anakin's? How so?

"Kathy Tyers stated that Mara was about 2 months pregnant already at Balance Point. That really screws with everything - especially since she didn't happen to mention if she was talking 2 earth months or 2 GFFA months."

Well it's safe to assume that she meant the 10 month calender (but the 9 month pregnancy) as she not only uses the 10 month calender in that book, but that Rebirth is set 9 months after she became pregnant and we see Ben's birth. What page number is the "two months" pregnant on? Could you find it?

24. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    D'oh! I meant Ben's. :D

And it's not safe to assume anything. She said it in this very forum - speaking to people of earth who may or may not have been aware of the 10-month calendar.

Therefore, when she said 2 months, it's questionable whether she meant 2 earth months or 2 GFFA months. She gave time for people of earth to equate what they know about birth. But, she just as easily could have been speaking in-universe.

It was in one of her BP threads.

25. Mavrick889

Feb 27, 1999
    Thanks, I'll look it up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.