main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    YAHOOEY!!! Another picture!!! :D

Aww that is so CUTE!!!! Han's got his famous smile--he looks so... so... happy, nice, sweet... goodness. Leia looks awesome! I have to agree with soits as to why the coloring isn't working as much but I still like it. Coloring skin in photoshop is a pain when its a drawn portrait etc... lol I've tried that and abandoned it soon after :p

GJ and cant' wait to see more!!!!! :)

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
    God bless!
    ~N

2. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I'm with Nidrail on this one ;) This is such an adorable moment you've captured! Well done on the expressions.Very well done. =D= Han's state of disbelief mixed with joy along with Leia's cute little smile directed towards him are perfect! Wow, really - I really like this picture. I don't think I've ever seen a drawing of these two together quite like this. I just love the feeling of pure contentment that it seems to evoke.

You've managed to keep their likeness's intact and there's some fab details in the clothing (Personally love Han's shirt the most). The colouring's good (Leia's got the cutest pink cheeks ever! :D ), but I think you need some more stronger shading in it - it's mostly very light, the darkest being only on the small area of Leia's side. I think you need more to bring them out a little and balance out with the highlights. Well, that's my two cents on the matter - and from a terrible digital painter at that. :p

"I started this last night and everything went so smoothly, I got around to finishing it tonight."

...Are you serious? How can you work so flippin' quickly? :eek:
    *grumbles* I swear you're going to make me cry. :( :p

- Suz ^_~

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, how wonderful!!!

**melts into puddle**

This is probably one of the moments I wanted to see most, Han!! Brava!! Geez--the look on his face is absolutely perfect: as has already been pointed out, sort of a mixture of stunned wonder and joy--you got it exactly right! And Leia's sweet soft smile is also perfect--just how I would expect her to look! I can't get over the emotional impact of this one--it really gets me warm-and-fuzzy! Suz is so right about the clothing--it looks wonderful (**is jealous**), with all the great folds and drapes--the way Leia's little top skims her body is also lovely--it has a very silky look to it--beautiful! Thank you for showing us this special moment in these characters' lives--I know it's one I really wanted to see, and I also know I can't be alone in that! Beautiful, beautiful work! =D==D=

FF

4. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Great picture, I like the idea of visualizing things form Star Wars that we never get to actually see.

5. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006
    lol. Very cute.

Is the fold around Leia's belly just a fold or is it the baby moving around? For some reason it looks like a bit of action taking place in that area.

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Aww Expecting is wonderful - I just love the expressions that you captured on each of their faces. Han's hand is wonderful also.

Beautiful work! =D=

7. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is such a sweet scene. I think you did a great job... especially with the coloring. I can't figure out PS to save my life. If you feel frustrated with PS you might want to give Corel Painter a try. You can download it and use it for a month for free: here

I am a complete computer idiot and I have been getting good results with it (or at least I think I am[face_worried] ).

Anyway, fantastic job!

AG88

8. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    I took a stab at coloring this (in Photoshop). It can be found here. Really isn't that much different from yours, but I like to practice.

9. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Really great pieces, HanSolo29, especially of HanSolo;)

You really do have a gift with the details, it's all really great work=D=

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    SilSolo: Yes, I'm gonna have to agree. Thanks for dropping by! :)

TheOnlyJediPrincess: Thank you very much! :D

ShrunkenJedi: LOL! Yea, I wasn't too sure about the expression at first, but I guess it works within the context of the story. It's great to see you back and thank you!

soits: I'm gonna have to agree with you about that. I think the graphite drawing is more successful as well but the author wanted colored drawings, so I didn't have much of a choice. I guess I could've went with a traditional media, but I wanted to try it out in PS.

For some reason, I don't like the "gritty" appearance the graphite creates when used as the underdrawing. Maybe ink would work better with bringing it all together? I need to experiment. Thanks for the critique! I appreciate it! ;)

Nidrail: Ah, thank you for the kind comments! Coloring in PS is frustrating for me, but I'm determined to make something that turns out half decent. :p I need to keep practicing.

Your_Worshipfulness: Thank you! :D It's fun doing stuff from the EU(you of all people know what that's like ;) ) and this was a moment that I've always wanted to capture. When the opportunity came along to illustrate this story, I jumped on it.

As for the shading - I have a bad habit of using the white of the paper as my midtones. Very bad, I know, but I'm trying to break it. I figured it wouldn't matter as much because I planned to lay in the midtone using PS, but apparently it needs more. As I said to soits, I may experiment in using ink as the underdrawing and see how that turns out.

...Are you serious? How can you work so flippin' quickly?
    *grumbles* I swear you're going to make me cry.

Aww, don't cry. :p And yes, I'm serious. That's not always the case, though. If something goes down real easily(likenesses come out the first time and I have no technical problems with anatomy etc), I can squeeze a drawing out in a few hours. This was one of those cases.

FalconFan: Glad to see you back, Deb! I hope you had a great trip! :)

And thank you very much! I'm glad I was able to bring something out like that for you. It's also quite the honor to hear it as well. [:D]

BIEREN: I do as well and thank you so much for checking it out! :)

Vandalier: Hmm, that's an interesting observation you pointed out. I had no intentions of showing any movement in that area and it was just a random fold in the shirt, but it adds more to the story. Thanks for the comments!

PadmeLeiaJaina: Thank you so much! :D

AC88: Corel Painter, hmm? I heard some bad things about that program, but after seeing some of your work and how successful they are, who knows. :p I may have to give it a try and see what happens. Illustrator may be another route I'm leaning towards. Although, I get frustrated with the pen tool easily, so I don't know. :p

Thank you!

BigFatty: Wow! That's amazing! I think it actually turned out better than my attempt. I think the paler colors really helped it along. Nice rendition of it! :)

Mitth_Fisto: Thank you so much and it's great to see you again! :D

11. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    I don't know what bad things you have heard, but my guess is that it doesn't have the special effects and editing capabilities of Photoshop. It is made for an artist not somebody who is planning on doing a lot of photomanipulations. But the good thing about Corel Painter is that you can switch back and forth between it and PS if you want to and maintain your layers. They are very compatable. So if you are painting and decide you want to do some editing that can only be done in PS you can simply bring what you are doing in Corel over to PS.

I bought an art book for Corel and the author recommends that you have both programs.

Hey, you have nothing to lose in trying it. The company doesn't require that you buy the program first to try it out. Just try it for a month and after the month ends you would be asked if you want to buy it. Just say no. Say no, because even if you want it you can get it for half price at the various places like the AcademicSuperStore. Since you are a college student you would be eligible for the reduced rate.

I like it and I find it easy to use. That is the key. There is no use having a fantastic program if it is too complex to use.

AG88

12. NLSkywalker

NLSkywalker Jedi Youngling

Jun 8, 2005
    =D= The realistic feeling of your artwork is great! I especially like the hair[face_love]

13. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    AC88: Thanks for the insight on Corel. The bad vibes I heard about it were focused around it being rather limited in its capabilities and not very user friendly. However, you've said otherwise and I think that's enough to convince me to try it out. ;)

NLSkywalker: Thanks for the comments and dropping by! :D

I've done some doodling now that I'm on Christmas break and the following drawing was a result of that. I bought a pad of toned pastel paper a while back and it was just sitting around. I figured I should put it to some use, so I decided to draw a portrait of Leia. This was done in graphite and colored pencil.

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/leia-pencil.jpg]Leia on Echo Base[/link]

Enjoy! :)

14. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    YAYAYAYYA!!! New art!!!! [face_dancing]
    WOW you do a good job with those colored pencils!!! *is jealous* :D
    I think its awesome!!
    Is the picture skinnier than it should be? That's my one complaint, the picture appears alittle squashed. But its beautiful, the hair is flowing (as usual) and her eyes are absolutely spectacular!!!!!!

God bless you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
    ~N

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    :eek: OMG, that looks great! The pastel paper has worked a treat, you've got the skin-tone just right, the hair looks perfect, and you've captured Leia's likeness beautifully.

I'm going to go with Nidrail on the "squashed" aspect of the picture, though - resizing the width from 434 pixels to 510 (remembering to unlock the aspect ratio) sorts it out.

I hope you do more pictures using the same technique, I think it looks beautiful.

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh this is totally gorgeous!! =D= I agree completely with soits: you've done a fabulous job with her likeness (spot-on, I'd say!) and the colors look wonderful! **sighs heavily** "Doodling," she calls it...it's a fabulous work of art: amazing shading, wonderful tones and highlights... =D==D=

FF

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Nidrail: *bows* It's great to see you, Nidrail, and thanks for all the wonderful comments!

The reference image was a little skewed when I drew it, so perhaps that carried over to the drawing. To be honest, I'm not completely happy with the final piece, but what are you gonna do?

soits: Thank you! As I said in another thread, I've always liked the results of pastel/colored pencil on toned paper. It just has this whole other quality to it. I'm definitely going to be trying this technique again! :D

FF: Once again, hearing those words from you really means a lot! After seeing your Luke drawing, that's quite the compliment! Thank you again, Deb and keep up the awesome work! :)

18. rocketscientist

rocketscientist Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2005
    Wow! HanSolo29! I love your work! Very deft with the pencil and color pencil, you are! (oops, must have been channeling Yoda there for a second!) :p

I love the character in Leia's expression. You've really captured something! =D=

19. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    :eek: Awesome job on Leia! =D= This can't be a 'doodle' - it's too good to be a doodle. It looks exact. Toned paper, eh? Wow, it really does have an amazing result (coupled with your talent, of course). Very nice Sepia-like look, and I like that her lips stand out more from the rest of the image. I'm with Soits on this one - I wouldn't mind seeing what else you'd come up with using the same technique! :D

Fantastic work!

- Suz ^_~

20. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Fantastic Leia portrait, I love it! One of my favourite Leia-looks though, so maybe I'm swayed by that! :p I'm very impressed by the way you captured the look on her face. Wonderfun stuff!

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    rocketscientist: LOL! [face_laugh] But Yoda is known for his wisdom, so that means something. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Your_Worship: Hiya, Suz!

Thank you so much for the kind words! I guess I referenced it as a doodle because I'm not entirely happy with the end results. There's something still wonky about the eyes and positioning that bothers me, but then again, perhaps that's just me being paranoid. :p I'll see what I can do about doing more drawings using this method. As always, thanks again! :D

Basement24: As I said in the other thread, it's great to see you here once more and thanks for dropping by and checking out my work! :)

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I have something quick to share with you all tonight. I'm currently illustrating a long AU fan fic entitled, "My Mother." I don't want to give away too many details, but it's centered around the possibility of Padme surviving and coping to a galaxy where her son and daughter are fully grown. Anyway, this depicts Padme sleeping with Leia looking on in the background.

Once again, I'm struggling with the coloring in Photoshop and just opted for a more "graphic" feel when I got frustrated. As usual, tips and critiques are welcomed! :)

Mother and Daughter

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, wow...that's so beautiful... The emotion in this is so powerful--it really hit after I'd looked at it for a moment or two; just the apparent peace of Padme's sleep vs. the rather confused and bewildered look on Leia's face... Both likenesses are wonderful, and the rather stark surroundings emphasizes the emotion. I love this, Han! =D=

FF

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Well, that is an atmospheric picture! One look at it and you know it's there to tell a story. Really good use of shadow and negative space. I love how you've rendered Padme's face.

Excellent!=D=

25. Vandalier

Vandalier Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 15, 2006

Wow-- extremely relatable!

Most of my focus centered around Leia in the back. The shadowing you gave it gave the impression that she doesn't want to burst her mom's peaceful bubble; she wants to confess something that would distress mom.

Haven't we all been in that position-- in some incarnation-- before? lol