main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Han is gorgeous. Love your style.=D=

2. ART2-D2

ART2-D2 Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 17, 2007
    That is Awesome!=D= =D=
    Niiiiiccceeee Shading! Hope to see more in that style!

3. Nidrail

Nidrail Moderator Emeritus star 3 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2005
    :eek:[face_hypnotized]

WooooOOOWWW
    What a PERFECT likeness and just so WOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!
    OMG! What a great drawing! WAY to GO!!!!!!!!! There is just so NOTHING wrong with it!!! HORRAY FOR MORE FREE TIME!!! =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    =D= That's wonderful. The likeness is unmistakable, and I love the strong tonal variations.

Very, very, nice piece of work.

5. DarthVogt

DarthVogt Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2007
    Very, very, nice......great tone and detail. :) Excellent Job!

6. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    Very wonderful! It really looks like Han Solo, if I enquire though did you use the base shading method and expanded/erased for the present look?

Just curious if I mine eyes deceive me, and really great job on the hair btw. Especially with the minutely stagered part line, that must of taken alot of patience to do all that air...Bravo!!

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for all the kind comments all! It's very much appreciated! [:D] I've been working in this style for a couple months now and I'm really loving it. I think I finally found my niche. You can definitely expect more of this type of work in the future(going to start on some Indy IV stuff shortly).

Nope, didn't use an eraser for the shading. I put down a light gray wash for the middle tone of the face with water color and then drew the face and did all the shadows with graphite. I finally went over that with gouache for the highlights and fine detail.

8. Glitbiter

Glitbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2008
    Whoa, that's absolutely gorgeous! [face_love] I really love this style, and hope you continue to do more in it, it's so beautiful. I'm blown away by the amount of detail, the hair and the eyes... *melts* =P~

He looks so real, and is unmistakeably Han. This might just be my favourite interpretation of Han to date.

=D==D==D=

Bring on Indy! [face_dancing]

9. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I love your Han!! You really captured him well :)

And that Han and Leia one is so beautiful and romantic [face_love]

10. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    :eek: That's the first thing my face did when I looked at your latest drawing. That's probably one of the best I've seen...I don't know what I can say to critique it, but I love it!

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thank you, everyone! It is much appreciated! [:D]

I finally have that Indy update I mentioned a while ago. This was originally supposed to be a single portrait, but after seeing the film, I wanted to add onto it. So, for the moment, this is the first part of a larger piece I'll be working on. Once again, it's done in graphite, acrylic and gouache:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/jones-crystal-skull1.jpg]

12. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow, that's awesome!! You do a great job showing the contours of his body.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your Indy (was one of my first portraits to paint too)

14. Glitbiter

Glitbiter Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2008
    :eek::eek: ;) I'm almost speechless.. it looks so beautiful and so real! I absolutely love your new style. All the little details like the tiny lines around his eyes and highlights on his beard look amazing, really sell it for me. And you've captured that crooked grin that seems to be a classic for Harrison Ford. Outstanding work! =D=

What did you think of the movie, btw? :)

15. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Ab-So-Lutely Great, love the detail, and the fabric is perfect.

16. Mitth_Fisto

Mitth_Fisto Chosen One star 6

Sep 29, 2005
    =P~ Tre Magnific! It looks wonderful! I really am curious though how your going to build into it, and anxiously await to see how you go about it.

17. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    That is some talent there. I wish i would have been able to take some of the more advanced art classes to learn the techniques you're using, but we really didn't have much where I was from. These are simply amazing, especially the details that you manage to put in there. Awesome work!

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

18. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    It's Indy! And he looks amazing! Awesome work, I love it, that's a great style. And part of a larger work? That's going to ROCK! =D I'm impressed by how you got the classic Indy expression down pat. "I can't believe you're stupid enough to do that, but now I'm going to kick your ass!"

Wonderful work! =D=

- Iverna

19. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    This is a great piece and I don't care what everyone says I really enjoyed that movie!

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I know I'm late in responding and I apologize for that. A lot of things have been going on and I wish I had more time to dedicate to drawing. I thank you again for all the wonderful comments and for checking out my work! It's greatly appreciated! [:D]

I've been dabbing around in sketch cards for a little while and I'm trying to get on some sets, but it's not an easy task. Here is a set of 3 cards I did a couple months ago in oils. It depicts the Big Three in the famous Death Star escape scene from ANH. Each individual card measures 2 1/2"x 3 1/2" and let me tell you, by the time I was done, everything was all blurry. These things are murder on your eyes working this small. :p

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/big-three-sketchcard1-3.jpg]

And here are two more in black and white of slave Leia and Anakin:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/anakin-leia-sketchcards.jpg]

21. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Your work is really gorgeous. I love the dramatic lighting on your black and white pieces, and the textures you have created. It's really wonderful to see how your work has evolved over the years - I think your technique has become much more refined, and your work has a very professional sheen to it these days.

I can't believe you managed to get such great detailing in oils on something that small! You must be really pleased.

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    WooHoo! Just had to pop in and GUSH over the Indy piece and the cards--YEEHAWW!! =D==D=

I am so loving the monochrome pieces--I agree with soits here: there's a real drama to the lighting in those, and you've done a great job capturing mood in each of them (not to mention the fabulous likenesses! =D= )! Indy looks just yummy: all the panache and attitude Indy's always had!

The trio from ANH is AWESOME!! And in OILS... **faints dead away** **standing-ovation-face** :p I can't do a pencil sketch that small--saints deliver me from trying anything that tiny in OILS!!

I love them all--superb work, and all the best of luck with getting some sketch cards into the collector sets (I can't imagine they would NOT want work of this quality!)--I will await the larger Indy piece with bated breath! :D

FF

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    soits: Thank you! That means a lot to me!

Oils is my favorite medium(aside from graphite) and I feel the most comfortable working with it. I didn't think it would be too hard to use it on the sketch cards since I enjoy working small, but after spending several hours on the same three cards in such a small space, it really started to take its toll. My eyes were really bugging out by the time I was done and I even had a headache at the end of some sessions. But it was worth it. I am really pleased with how it turned out.

FalconFan: It's great to see you around again, Deb! I hope DRL is treating you well! :)

Thank you for all the kind comments! It's truly appreciated and not to mention, inspiration to keep on going. I can't wait to see some new work from you as well. ;)

24. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    Fantastic work solo29, the shading is great.

25. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Wow! They're incredibly realistic =D=