main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    And who was telling me "Don't put yourself down." and "Never put yourself down!"

Well, uh...okay, you got me there. :p I do it to my own work too.

With that said, thank you so much for the kind comments. Faces and people in general, are what I love to do. I don't know what it is, but there's just something about people that fascinates me when I draw them. I guess it's the individuality that each person has. It also spills over into the portrait itself.

Thanks again! :D

2. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    no biggie about reference stuff, and as you keep stating practice makes perfect, right? You can't learn how to draw stuff like that unless you study it at greath lengh.. If at some point you don't need them then cool but all great artists needed people and models to look off of to paint some of the great things in the world.

3. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Just got back from Palm Springs (I live in Phoenix) and I thought I'd take a peep in here. Wonderful likenesses there, Han. What really strikes me about them is how much they say in so few strokes. Great things in your future I predict. Yes. Mmmm.(bad Yoda impression over).

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    DkSavior02: Yea, I don't think they'd come out half as good if I didn't use the reference pics. But I would like to try it out and see how they would turn out without them. Maybe in a future project. ;)

THEFORCE: First of all, welcome back! I hope you had a safe trip! :D Secondly, thank you so much for the kind comments! I really appreciate it. :)

5. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
    Actually I'm just enjoying a brief pit stop. My job takes me all over. Sunday it's Las Vegas and then a brief detour into Utah(ZZZZ).My schedule is so rushed, I've taken to buying those little molskine sketchooks and drawing faces out of magazines while I'm sitting at the airport. I'd draw people from life, but once they realize you're staring at them they either get really uncomfortable or really freindly. Both of those things can be bad depending on the situation. Especially if the subject has a husband. Sitting right there. Yep, magazines are great source material.

Never doubt your ability, Han. In fact, get a little arrogant about it. Youre good. Bask in that.

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...Las Vegas! :D What do you do that you're going to places like that? I'm gonna lay off the "you're lucky" part till I know what you do first. :p

Drawing from magazines is a good idea. Lots of interesting subjects in there. I may give that a go sometime. And I know what you mean about people giving you weird looks. For our one project this semester in Photography, we had to shoot people around the city going about their business - to "catch the moment." Well, I had people throwing me evil looks and others just went ahead and posed - which I didn't want. Oh well...I guess you can never win. :p

Never doubt your ability, Han. In fact, get a little arrogant about it. Youre good. Bask in that.

Aww, thanks. I really appreciate it. And I'll try to keep that in mind. ;)

7. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    THEFORCE16, I would let you draw me. Unfortunately, Phoenix is a little distance from the Salt Lake area. ;)

Some people just don't appreciate some things. I worked as a janitor after school for a while, and one afternoon, a member of the yearbook comitee(sp?) called my name, I turned, and he raised a camera...which wouldn't take the picture. So, what's a sophomore to do?

I held the pose while the guy fixed the problem, and got a 'candid' shot in the yearbook. ;)

Just ignore the evil looks. They can't hurt you. The people giving them can, but the looks can't.

8. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Rocie: Ah, yes...candid shots are always fun. And you stayed patient eventhough they had camera difficulties. I give you credit for that. ;)

Today, I have one of my older drawings to share. I did this one a while back for one of the older Fan Art Challenges here at the boards. I think the challenge was draw a missing scene from any of the Star Wars films. This particular drawing catches the moment when Han and Chewie are spotted by the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell. I thought it would be cool to get a freeze frame of their faces. ;)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Han-Chewie1.jpg]

9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I like the expression on Han's face...

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, LAJ_FETT! I really appreciate it! :)

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Very nice handling of Han's fabric and Chewie's hair. Great expression on Han's face too! Thanks for posting that again because I had not seen it before. :)

12. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, Obi-Dawn! :D

I figured I might as well compile all of my art here, even if it means reposting some. That way, I'll have a place where I can keep both my recent and old stuff together. Makes organization easier. ;)

13. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    I really agree with Obi-Dawn, all the little hair details on Chewie look great, and Han also is well done. I particularly like the segment of his jacket where the light is showing.. There you have subtly put in several wrinkles in the fabric and I think it blends so nicely with the overall look of the picture.

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks a bunch, DK! ;)

I'm a real stickler for details and I'm glad you guys are able to pick up on that in my work. Then again, I'll have to be anal about details if I'm to get into illustration. ;) Thanks again!

And just a note: I plan on working on those Luke and Han sketches tonight. So hopefully, I'll have an update of those either late tonight or tomorrow sometime.

15. Rocie

Rocie Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2003
    Love that Han and Chewie one. Han's expression totally says to me, "Uh, oh."

:D

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey there, Rocie! :D

Thanks for checking out my art! Glad you liked it! :)

17. Jediloren

Jediloren Jedi Youngling star 2

May 30, 2002
    Rocie,I'm not sure if it says "Oh, oh", but it sure says,"I think we could have a few problems."

Hansolo29 you draw very well. I'm not sure what background if any would be there, but I have a record with the radio broadcast of the mission to Ord Mantell. Although the story is a bit slow, the ending is very exciting with Luke having to cut the connecting cord from the platform and three-peo flying a shuttle. I got interested in it when Han mentioned it The Empire Strikes Back.

18. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Jediloren: Thanks so much! Glad you liked it!

As for the background, I intentionally left it somewhat blank. I just put a splash of orange color behind there to make a reference to the planet itself. I always imagined Ord Mantell to be somewhat junky and covered with dirt - maybe even desert-like in some places. That's why I chose orange.

Hmm...I never heard of that radio drama. It sounds interesting, though. Is there a way to find it somewhere?

19. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Hey Han That one looks great! I'd have to agree with everybody else and say Han's expression really sells the piece, though I really love how you rendered Chewie! He looks fantastic!

I also heard of the radio broadcast and a friend of mine actually had a kids book about the encounter on Ord Mandell, but I have no idea how or where to find either! Maybe Ebay, or someone around these forums has a copy.

Anyway, great pic and can't wait to see your updates! :D

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey, Zemog! :D

Thanks for checking out my stuff and for all the nice words. I really appreciate it. :)

Now I may have to go sifting through ebay for that broadcast. You perked my interest. ;)

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have seen the Ord Mantell recording before on eBay. I don't have it though. Try a Google search on it. I think it is only in vinyl LP though - it is quite old.
    (I can check my Collecting books later to see if there was a cassette version).

22. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, thanks LAJ_FETT. :) I'll do some searches and see what I can turn up.

23. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Here ya go and it's in stock. Search on Ord Mantell! I haven't ordered from these guys but I have seen their ads.

24. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo...thanks so much! :D

25. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Very nice, HS! I like the emotion in Han's face... that 'aw, Hell,' classic expression that is so Han.