main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Wonderful job, HS! You're shading techniques are awesome, and I bow to your ability to capture the resemblences of the characters!

(There's a reason why all my drawings are of "original characters" ;))

2. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, Cheveyo! :D

I can't really explain how I go about getting likenesses. It just kinda comes naturally. ;) :p

3. Cheveyo

Cheveyo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2001
    Probably "Just a good eye", as my dad says, "...probably two."

;)

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I really like the Han drawing. Again, there is no mistaking who it is. I think your interest in what makes an individual face distinctive shows in all of your drawings.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks, soits! :D

6. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, folks...I have another work in progress. I have been working on this particular portrait for well over a year now. Been doing a little and then putting it down. You know the drill. Anyway, I finally picked it back up tonight to work on it a little bit more. It's another of Han - yes, I know...I'm obsessed. :p

Here we are:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/bespin-han-progress.jpg]

7. SkyWookiee

SkyWookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2003
  8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's really good...

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Thanks for the comments, SkyWook and LAJ! :D

10. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Probably my favorite one of yours so far! The pose in the pic is awesome, and the way you cropped it just makes it better!

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Very very nice likeness. I think it's probably my favorite piece of your work so far as well. You really handle his hair well too. Look forward to seeing it finished. :)

12. Daughter_Of_TheForce

Daughter_Of_TheForce Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    Wonderfulness! :D

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone! I really appreciate it! :D

I'm gonna try to work on it this weekend since this will be my last weekend before I head back to school. And if things go rather smoothly, I'll try to have the completed drawing up Monday sometime - maybe sooner.

14. pashatemur

pashatemur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2004
    Han, this is beautiful work! I appreciate the detail and subtleties of expression you are able to coax with your shading. Lovely! Sorry it's taken me so long to take a look.

15. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Once again, fantastic likeness, Han! Just beautiful! I really like seeing the photo you're working from--it shows just how remarkable your work is! Wow--it just seems to get better and better! Keep 'em coming, Mme. Moderator!

FF

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    pasha: No, problem. ;) I just appreciate you taking the time to come on over and check it out. Thanks for the comments! :D

FalconFan: Thank you! :D I wasn't originally going to throw the reference pic in there, but it was on the pile so I thought, why not. Thank you so much again! :)

EDIT: *grumbles* Stupid markups...[face_frustrated]

17. MasterSareBabe

MasterSareBabe Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Wow, you are really dedicated to your work! I get annoyed if I have to work on a picture for more than a day. lol. Great stuff! :D

18. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    Incredible drawing there, Steph! I think it is my favorite of works! I am very impressed by your talent, and jealous of your endurance! :p :D

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    MasterSareBabe: Thanks for the comments! LOL! Yea, I'm amazed I kept at it for so long myself. But like I said, I wasn't working on it constantly. It was more like work on it for a few minutes one week, set it down for a couple more then pick it back up again.

Dave, I'm really glad you took the time to come in here and have a look! Thanks for all the kind comments! :D

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Figured I should go ahead and post this here as well:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/han-drawing1.jpg]

Enjoy! :)

21. gatodama

gatodama LFL Artist star 3 VIP

May 17, 2002
    Very nice work. You have the eye for it. Your ability to capture likeness shows.

Your image of luke a page or so ago was really nice.

I look forward to more.

22. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!! Great work, HS29!! Your ability to capture a likeness is just awesome! I have to concur with gatodama on the shading: fabulous! The amount of detail and work you put into your drawings really shows, and makes the pieces! =D= Well, well done! Can't wait to see more! :D

FF

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Hey folks! I'm in need of some help with a current project I am working on. It's an Indiana Jones poster which will be portraying friend's story.

Now, I've been attempting to draw Henry Jones(Sean Connery) for about an hour now and something is off. I can't quite get the likeness and I thought maybe you could help me out with a nice critique.

Here is the original reference pic:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/henry-jones1.gif]

And here is my drawing thus far:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/sean-connery.jpg]

24. Midgetsforbreakfast

Midgetsforbreakfast Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2002
    I am no artist myself(written word artist only), but I think the thing that may be "off" is where you are placing your focus on his expression.

Fromw what you have drawn it seems that you are focusing on his anger in that pic from 'Last Crusade' instead of the sadness and regret that is there--at least, from what I see in his eyes.

His eyes seem to carry in them a vast longing for something lost--a time, an item, a place. Perhaps that is what is missing and is "off?"

Again--I cannot not draw, but only write, so perhaps I'm way off.

I am amazed by your work, though! EXCELLENT!!! :)

25. _Artoo_

_Artoo_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2005
    Well, the first things I noticed were that you've 'squashed' his head, it's not as long as in the ref, and you also appeared to have rotated it somewhat, its on a different angle. He's facing more towards the viewer. I don't know whether you wanted to do this or have an exact copy of the photo though!

Because of the rotation, his ear is now at the wrong angle making it appear quite large and also making the jawline look off. His nose appears to be at a wrong angle compared to the eyes too (they're titling opposite ways).

His glasses are distracting me as well, the frames aren't even, but that's easily fixed n.n

And lastly, check the line of the top of his head. It seems to be dipping too soon and too steeply towards the back (I hope you get what I mean!).

His eyes look great though, I wouldn't change them :)

I hope I don't sound too harsh, I'm sorry if that's the case HS29.

And to the rest of your work, it's very -very- good! You're pencil work is outstanding. I hope you're studying art somewhere and if not, you should be!