main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Hmm. I have to agree with the criticizm of the ear. Also the ear is the wrong shape. Right now it looks like half an oval, when the shape of an ear is more like an egg shape.

Other than that you did a very good job, esp. in the eyes! :)

2. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    It does seem like Sean's face is tilted away from the camera more in the reference pic than in your drawing... good luck with it! I love Connery in The Last Crusade! :D

3. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, Han--there's no question who it is, in your drawing! Even if there are a few "problems," they're pretty minor. I agree with the comment about the angle of the face toward the viewer--more "front-on" in your rendering than in the photo. The ear comment made earlier is also correct--a bit smaller, and alter the shape a bit would be closer. You might straighten his nose just a tad (in the photo, the bridge of his nose is rather straight, from brow to tip). That "mirror" technique you and BrotherTheFirst mentioned might give you some fresher perspective, too. Gosh, this seems really nit-picky, but I hope it helps some. I can't get over how quickly, and with very few lines, you manage to capture likenesses so well! I know the frustration with that "something's not quite right" thing--sometimes it drives me nuts! ;) Over all, I think it's going to be great when you're done (and yeah--don't change the eyes--they're fantastic! :) ).

FF

4. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    :eek: Your drawings are amazing....

The likeness is definatley there, I could tell who it was without the picture.
    Can't wait to see it finnished! :D

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Wow, thanks for the great response, guys! This was driving me nuts last night. And I don't mind if the critiques were "harsh." I asked for it and in the long run, it really helps. :)

[b]Midgetsforbreakfast:[/b] [i]Fromw what you have drawn it seems that you are focusing on his anger in that pic from 'Last Crusade' instead of the sadness and regret that is there--at least, from what I see in his eyes.

His eyes seem to carry in them a vast longing for something lost--a time, an item, a place. Perhaps that is what is missing and is "off?"[/i]

Wow, that's an interesting way at looking at things. My drawing professor does say to try and capture an emotion each time we draw. At the time, that's really the last thing you think about, trying to get the likeness and all - but now I see what she meant. Thanks for the feedback! :)

[b]_Artoo_:[/b] Thank you for that thorough critique. And no, it wasn't too harsh - in fact, it really helps. I figured it was something on the left side of the face - the ear and the whole left contour looked strange. I kept comparing it in the mirror and it just didn't look right. The tilt of the head was something I didn't notice and thanks for pointing that out. I'm not sure what I can do with it at this point in the drawing, but I'll try to work around it.

As for the glasses - I just roughly sketched them in for the time being. Just so I could get a general idea where to place them. They will be fixed for the final. ;)

[i] And to the rest of your work, it's very -very- good! You're pencil work is outstanding. I hope you're studying art somewhere and if not, you should be![/i]

Yup, I'm studying art - focusing in illustration and hopefully do some animation. I'm in a four year program at PA College of Art and Design. :)

[b]ThrawnRocks:[/b] Thanks for the comments. Like I said above, something was telling me it was around the area of the ear, but wanted to get a second opinion.

[i]Other than that you did a very good job, esp. in the eyes![/i]

Thanks! :D

[b]ShrunkenJedi:[/b] Thanks for stopping by. I'll see what I can do about the tilt, but at the point I'm at in the drawing, I don't know what can be done. We'll see...

[i]I love Connery in The Last Crusade![/i]

Yup! Me too! Definitely the best character in the film (well, besides Indy :p ). He always manages to make me laugh. ;)

[b]FalconFan:[/b] Thank you so much! :D

Yea, the nose was something my friend pointed out to me. He said the angle appeared to be off and I see he's not the only one to have mentioned that. So, now at least I know he wasn't making things up. :p

As for the mirror technique - that's how I basically caught the problem. After I'd do some, I'd hold it up to the mirror and inspect it. Do a little more, then repeat it. And let me tell you, noticing the problem while doing that [i]was[/i] driving me insane. It did get very frustrating - especially when I'm only on the third character to appear in the poster out of about 9 or 10. The first two went fairly smooth then as soon as I started Connery - BANG! I started running into trouble. Ah well, we'll see what I can come up with tonight. Hopefully I can get it looking more closer to the pic. ;)

[b]Esira:[/b] Thanks for the comments! :D Well, at least you can tell who it is. That's what I'm aiming for. ;) Thank you so much again!

6. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, I did some work on the Henry Jones drawing again and I think I may have messed it up more. Not entirely sure, but all I know is I'm still not happy with it.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/henry-jones.jpg]

I apologize for the crease in the paper. I was erasing an awful lot and the paper went along with it a few times.

7. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    The ear is much improved, allthough if you want us to be nitpicky, I say end the ear a little higher up. Remember, the bottom of the ear lines up with the bottom of your nose.

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    I agree with ThrawnRocks, Han--I think if you bring the ear up just a smidge (and just a smidge), you're going to be golden--the nose looks great now (just like the photo), and everything else seems right there. Wow--it sure looks like Connery! Great work (I think I might have "wadded it up" by now! [face_laugh] )! Can't wait to see this all done!

FF

9. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Hey there, Han.

I've seen you around the RPF (you are still posting there, right? Not letting this modship go to your head?) and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you are the new (old, whatever...) mod of Fan Art! Congrats!

And...to the point of this thread...

Very nice work. :) I don't have time for an "in-depth" critique, but I'm sure you've already gotten enough of that. ;)

All in all, a good day's work, eh? Nice art, nice mod. :D

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    ThrawnRocks: Thanks! :D Now that you mention it, the ear does look a little low. Although, with the position he was in, the ear was lower than usually. However, I think I did place it lower than it should be.

FalconFan:Thank you very much! It's always an honor to be hearing from you! :) Seems like everyone agrees on the ear being low so I guess I'll go ahead and fix that. ;)

Handmaiden_Yane: Ah, yea they promoted me to mod. I wonder what they were thinking. :p And yes, I am still active in RPF. I like that forum quite a bit. ;)

And thank you for all the kind words! I appreciate you checking out my artwork! :D

11. corellian_chic242

corellian_chic242 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 17, 2003
    Your artwork is absolutely amazing! My favorites are all of the ones on page four.... They are beautiful. [face_love]

You truly have amazing skill, HS. :)

And btw, some of the links on page one aren't working.... I was wondering if there is a way for you to fix those.... I really want to see them! ;)

12. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    HanSolo : I'm a bit of a perfectionist too when it comes to my work as well, I'm still not totally happy with the Bail Organa I did for the Jan art challenge.

One thing I think might be throwing off the Henry Jones pic is the chin. I know he's supposed to be squinting a little but i think if you were to draw a reference line down the middle of his face you'd find that his bottom lip and chin seem to be going too much too his right.

I think just a bit more shading on the ear and neck would balance out the rest.

I hope this helps, and I hope you don't mind my constructive critism. [face_beatup]

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    corellian_chic242: Thanks for all the kind comments! I really appreciate you dropping by my thread! :)

As for the links that aren't working - that would be my fault. I intentionally removed the images from Photobucket to make room for more images. However, I should be getting my own webpage soon, so hopefully that'll change. But for the time being, I may go ahead and put them back up. ;)

Ty_Ordell: Hmm...the chin. Never thought about that part of it before. Maybe I'll go ahead and fool around a bit more with it.

And when it comes to constructive critism - go right on ahead! It helps in the long run! ;) Thanks for taking the time to check out my work! :D

14. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Okay, I have a quick update. I've had some people asking about the Indiana Jones poster I was working on. I'm working on it slowly, but surely and I have two sketches of characters that are to appear on it. These sketches are just in the early stages(like the Henry Jones portrait above) so, like always, critiques are welcome. :)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/salla-nevin-indy.gif]

Just a note - you may notice these are the same models I used for my Nevin and Salla drawing on the first page of the thread. This was intentional, as the author wanted these characters to have the same appearance as Nevin and Salla.

And since I posted this Vader drawing in the Fan Art Challenge thread, I might as well stick it in here with the rest of my art. ;)

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Vader-Challenge1.jpg]

15. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    Hey han, it's been awhile since I've been around.. I think the last time I was here you still only had 1 page on this post, so I'll have to take a look back at some other things you've done.. I never feel I have much right to critique anyone since the only thing I can draw on paper very well is a stick man, and he is usually kind of squiggly.

If I had any one thing to perhaps comment on though, is the heaviness of shading in some spots. It feels to me that it sort of goes from white straight to dark and there isn't much softness inbetween, but I know they are in their early stages. It's just a thought though, I certainly mean no offense, I rather enjoy your sketches.

16. bmw17

bmw17 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2005
    I love these sketches!!There really cool.

17. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Great work again! Very neat and uncluttered. I especially like the poster drawing on the right ;)

18. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man--these are wonderful, Han!! I especially love the emotion in their faces--it comes across perfectly! And I think the poses you have them in will really add a great deal to the finished piece--tense, coiled--full of energy. Wonderful! I'll say again--I just can't wait to see this finished! Are you going to PS it, as well--color, backgrounds, etc.? I can't wait! =P~ :)

FF

19. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    DkSavior02: Thanks for checking out my work and it's great to see you back! :D

As for the shading thing - I'm pretty sure it's due to the drawings being in their early stages or the result of boosting the contrast level up too far in PS while editing it. But if I'm wrong, I'm curious in what pieces you see this in.

bmw17: Thanks! I really appreciate it! :D

ShrunkenJedi: Neat and uncluttered? Wow, I never thought I'd hear that comment uttered anywhere near me. :p I really appreciate it! I'm glad you were able to drop in. ;)

FalconFan: Hey! It's great to see you! Like always, it's really great to hear a critique from you!

I plan on using PS to put the composition together and to add backgrounds. However, I've never really colored anything in PS before and to tell you the truth, I'm scared to give it a try. I've only done the Han piece on the first page in PS and since then, haven't done anything since. If I can get some practice and things turn out looking okay, I may give the coloring a try. ;)

20. JW-Titus

JW-Titus Jedi Master star 2

May 21, 2004
    EXCELLENT work, HanSolo29!!

Great job on those! Your ability to capture the human emotion is awesome!!

Keep up the great work!!! :)

21. DkSavior02

DkSavior02 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2004
    Nah, I had mentioned it as probably a redundant point. I know they are early stages, and I know what you're capable of... in fact I still like showing people that pic of Han and Chewie you did from page 2 of this thread.. ;) keep it up.

22. Dark-Vador1138

Dark-Vador1138 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    Hey Solo29, Are those John Connor and Kate Brewster from Terminator 3?

23. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    JW-Titus: *bows* It is a real honor to see you here. I really appreciate all of your comments! :D

DkSavior: No, I don't really consider it redundant. It's just that sometimes we're blind to things like this in our own art and I'm just curious on where you see this so I can try to improve. No big deal. ;)

in fact I still like showing people that pic of Han and Chewie you did from page 2 of this thread..

Really? [face_blush] Wow...thanks!

Dark-Vador1138: Yup, you got me. The author asked me to use them for a reference for the characters. ;) Thanks for dropping by!

24. Duke_Chase

Duke_Chase Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    I agree that it is hard to not work on something when you want to make it better, most times for myself i put too mch into it and it turns out looking worse than the peice of paper i Started with.
    i am somwhat of an artist myself and i love what i do. don't let anythig put you down just keep going they are better than you think.
    I love the sketches you do you know how to make it feel real, you give it real weight that is so clear. your work inspires me to do more as an artist and i hope to see more of your fantastic work.

25. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    I think the ear is fine. That picture is great and you shouldent nit pick to much, or you might loose some of the passion of creating. Just my opinion, but I think being to technical can be boring, and stressful.