main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Duke_Chase: Yea, it's really hard sometimes just to say, 'enough is enough.' I mentioned awhile ago that sometimes I need to have my friends or parents or someone to tell me to stop before I ruin a drawing completely. When it comes to my art, I'm a perfectionist.

And thank you so much for all the kind comments! I'm glad you decided to drop by my thread. :)

HawkHeadKentil:I'm glad you think so. :) Personally, there still seems to be something wrong with it, but it's close enough that I'm just gonna leave it alone. And I agree that I shouldn't nit-pick too much, but when you want to get something correct, it's hard not to. Like I said above, I'm a perfectionist with my drawing and if something doesn't live up to my expectations, I get frustrated easily.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, Han, we are cut from the same cloth, you and I! [face_laugh]:rolleyes: I, too, have that "never know when to stop" problem! Sometimes I end up throwing in the towel and just finishing something (the latest Anakin/Padme piece in my thread is a classic example!), and sometimes it just ends up in the trash (the Han Solo debacle from the Fan Art Challenge!)! It's soooo hard, to get the "perfectionist" out of the picture, and try to be objective about one's own work--having others' input often helps! I'm slowly getting better at soliciting help--mainly due to the wonderful critique of all the great artists here in the Forum--perfectionism is a tough thing, tho! :D ;) It does, however, spur the kind of beautiful work we get to see here in your thread, tho--so I guess it isn't all bad, is it? ;)

FF

3. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Just don't be hard on yourself. There are alot of "closet" artists that love art for what it should be.....fun. Perfection is impossible. The first glance counts the most. If it is pleasent to look at then I would say you have succeeded. Never thow away any work, you put time into it and thats got to count for something. :)

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    FalconFan: Yea, it does seem that we both have similar characteristics, doesn't it? ;) I don't know, sometimes the fun of it is the actual tweeking. Although there is a fine line where it just becomes downright frustrating. I could probably just create a whole other thread just to show all my "mess-ups." And it wouldn't be pretty. :p

HawkHeadKentil: Yea, I totally agree with you that perfection is impossible. It's hard to get something to look just how you invision it, but you can get awfully close. Lots of nice words of advice in your post there. I'll definitely keep every single one of them in mind. And no worries - I don't throw out any of my artwork, eventhough I am tempted to do so all the time. ;) :p

5. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Finally got more work done on the Indiana Jones poster - well, sort of. FalconFan suggested the idea of coloring in the images using Photoshop. I wasn't really sure about that at first, but today I figured I should give it a go(that's why I haven't posted much today). I took one of the pencil sketches from the last page(my last update) and colored the one in. I'm quite happy with how this turned out, so I decided to make it a single image all in itself.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Nevin-painted.jpg]

6. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek: =D=

OMG!! That's fabulous, Han!! This absolutely cannot be the first time you have tried this--it's just beautiful! It looks like a flippin' photograph, for cryin' out loud! **more =D=** Now I really can't wait to see this all done--awesome, awesome work, Mme. Moderator!

FF

7. SIUEA_DOOGUAS

SIUEA_DOOGUAS Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2004
    good work!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Wow, that's great. If that's your first attempt at colour work, I can't wait to see what comes next!

ps. Is the model you used Nick Stahl (Terminator 3, Carnivale)? Looks very similar.

9. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    FalconFan: [face_blush] Aww, thanks! I really appreciate it! As for it being my first time - this is my first time doing something realisticallu in PS. My first and only attempt at coloring is the Han in Imperial gear on the first page. It went much easier this time around, however. I think it's because I was using a stylus. It gave me a lot more freedom to move around.

SIUEA_DOOGUAS: Thanks! It's good to see you hanging out in Fan Art again! :D

soits: Yup, the model is Nick Stahl. That's who we decided on while planning out the looks of the characters. And of course, thanks for the nice comments! :)

10. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Another update for everyone tonight. I drew this Obi-Wan as part of a larger project and once I incorporated it into the main piece, I decided to have this particular portrait stand on its own. I'm not too fond of it - I think the likeness is off. But, just something I whipped up quick tonight while sitting home sick.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/Obi1.jpg]

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    Wow, Han--this is beautiful!! I am so loving your "painting" of your pieces--it really brings them to life in a vivid way!

As to the likeness--I knew instantly who it was, no question--I wouldn't change anything about it, but his jaw might be a tiny bit narrow--that might also be perspective in the reference photo, tho...

I really like the little touches of gray hair at his temples (Anakin really did age him very fast, didn't he...? ;) ), and the pensive, almost sad expression in his eyes. The pain he's feeling is right there, and you did a beautiful job of capturing that. Again--great, great coloring: the highlights and contours of the face are just wonderful! I would love to see the larger piece that this is part of--any chance you're going to be able to show it to us?

FF

12. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I like that piece, actually. It looks to me like a transition between Ewan!Obi and SirAlec!Obi. Very nice, Solo. ;)

13. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    FalconFan: Once again, I am really honored to have you drop by my thread and share your comments - especially the critique. It really helps with things in the long run. I'm also really honored that you were able to get so much out of that simple drawing - the emotions etc. It tells me that I've done my job as an artist. Thank you for all the kind words! :D

As for the completed piece, I have one more element to color in it then I'll post it up here. ;)

EmilieDarklighter: Yea, I was going for the transition between the two - I wanted to make him a bit older than how he appears in Ep3. I'm glad you were able to see it! Thank you so much for dropping by! :)

14. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    I've decided I miss the Fan Art side of things. :) I'll be around a bit more, especially here. You do really great work. ;) Alas, I'm still missing a scanner, so all my work will stay in my notebook for now. Not like it's much to see in the first place. :)

*waits patiently for more*

15. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    Solo. It seems your doing a certain style with the last two pics. Is it intentional? The shading and color is really good, but I'm a bit confused about the melencholy look. Its unique, but at the same time has a slightly unwarm feeling to it. Not that it has to be warm, but I'm really interested in what your thoughts were when you were in the creative process.

16. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    HawkHeadKentil: To tell you the truth, the melancholy look is not intentional. I never really noticed it until it was pointed out. Perhaps it has something to do with the background color that tends to bring down the rest of the piece. Although, I do mess with the brightness/contrast levels after I'm done "painting." I also use a dark shade of blue to do the shadows in the face - I know that also tends to give things a "drab" or melancholy look. But anyway, thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it! :)

17. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    I know it's been awhile but I finally got around all the work I had to do to find some time to draw again. So, I'm sitting here at my desk at 3am and this is what I can come up with. I know I'm in for some harsh punishment for this one... *cringes*

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/han-meh.jpg]

Yea, it's not my best. I personally don't like it, but I figured I might as well throw it out there.

18. Esira

Esira Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Actualy I like it! It's definalty him and it also has a sort of caricature feel to it. I like the pencil strokes you used too. Very nice! =D=

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah! This is the perfect "Hey--it's me!" face!! I can almost see Luke and Leia out of frame, glancing at each other and sighing! [face_laugh] =D= I love it, Han--and I agree with Esira on the wonderful, sketchy pencil strokes you've used--they give it a very loose and easy feel--perfect compliment to the expression! Well done--and glad to see you back "at the pencils!"
    ;)

FF

20. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Esira: Aww, thank you! I guess it goes to show that one person's trash is another's treasure. After scanning it and comparing it to the screenshot I took, I wasn't happy at all with it. The original looks a lot better. And you mention a caricature feel too it...interesting. Didn't see that the first time around, but I see that you're right. I'm just glad you could see the likeness - that's what I was really worried about. Thanks again! :D

FF: As always, thank you for all your kind words! In this particular one, I tried to stray away from the "finger smudging" technique and just use the pencil to get all my values. Didn't work all too well, but I think it resulted in the "looser" feel of it. Anyway, that "Hey, it's me" look was exactly what I was going for! Thanks again for dropping by! :)

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Sorry, Han, but I have to disagree about the pencil-sketching "not working well:" I think it's wonderful--the values and "shading" you achieved here are excellent, "finger-smudging" notwithstanding! I love your techniques, and it's so cool to see how many of them you're good at! :D

FF

22. TroubledAnakin

TroubledAnakin Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2004
    Loving your dabbling in photoshop, HanSolo29. It's looking very very good! ^-^; Hope to see more soon!

23. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I always like looking at artwork where you can see the pencil strokes, or paint daubs or whatever. Since the technology of photography has come so far (especially recently), sometimes I think making a drawing that is 100% photo-real seems strange. What sets it apart from a photo that anyone with a disposable camera can take?

I like see the 'invisible hand' of the artist in a finished piece; it humanizes artwork in a way that photography can never duplicate.

And it's great to see you experimenting with Photoshop painting! I warn you that it's addictive...

24. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Ha, I like that picture, you can't help smiling when you see that expression on Han's face! I always like expressive pencil strokes (but then I often prefer rough pencil drawings to finished paintings), and like I said, you've really captured that trademark Han expression. Cool.

25. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Solo....just wow, all your artwork has this something I can't quite put my finger on, unique essence of balanced severity, yea in otherwords its really awesome stuff. Hope to see more soon.
    ~Darth_Arsnl