main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Solo29's Art - Updated May 23 (Star Wars Galaxy 6 Returns!)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Nov 23, 2004.

1. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    *bangs her computer* All I see are little red crosses!

2. HawkHeadKentil

HawkHeadKentil Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    I like it. Its got a nice sunny feel to it. (if you know what I mean) It looks like he's about to break into laughter.

3. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it's a very lighthearted piece that made me smile. I like the '3am' Han drawing. :)

4. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    LOL, you know, Solo, I didn't realize when I told you that I liked that Obi-wan pic that it was for *my* fanfic cover! LOL, I feel special now.

5. AnakinSkywalker61290

AnakinSkywalker61290 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
  6. Mara_Kenobi

Mara_Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2005
    i still can't get over how good you are. my favorite is definalty the first one on this thread.

7. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Han Solo has the best expressions, and you really do him justice - Not saying that the other characters you draw are not up to par, ofcourse. :)

A couple of my favorites is of an unfinished piece from pg4 which I believe is titled "bespin-han-progress.jpg". The smudging/blending work is just lovely. Have you finished it? I realize that was posted quite some time ago, but as I was checking through your work, I couldn't find a finished version anywhere (or did I just miss the link?).

The other is from pg2 of Han and Chewie together on Ord Mantell. I consider it brave to draw Chewie, he looks like it might be a bit tough.

...but hot damn, did those Photoshop colored versions you made ever turn out beautifully! Especially the one of the "Nevin" character.

As for your most recent piece of Han Solo, I agree with everyone - it clearly conveys his personality. Classic Han.

- Suz ^_~

8. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    That last Han illustration is great - so full of personality (something I sometimes have trouble putting across in my work)!

9. Kenu

Kenu Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    I think...

I think I really like the shading you use when creating your images. Its a very realistic tone, something I myself struggle with (and fear, so I usually do contour sketches) But you have the eye for it.

Great work!

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    FF: Aww, thanks again! Whenever I put myself or one of my drawings down, you're always there to make me feel better! Thanks again for all your imput! :D

TroubledAnakin: Thank you very much! Glad that you could stop by! :)

wicktone: Yea, I also enjoy looking at more "traditional" art. Like you said, you can see the hardwork put into it and in most cases, even pick out the process. Don't get me wrong, digital art has its own benefits, but it takes much less effort to put together a photo than to sit down and draw out something to realistically. Thanks for dropping by! :D

soits: Seems like everyone liked this expression! Ah, the joys of taking screencaps from the DVD - you always get memorable images. :D This particular scene(medbay scene from ESB) always cracked me up, so why not draw it. Thanks! ;)

Darth_ArsnL: Thanks for the kind comments! I really appreciate it! :D

darshaassant: Hmm...little red "X"'s? Well, I know I removed some of the images from the first page, but the others should be working. :confused:

HawkHeadKentil: Yup! That's exactly the look I was going for! Glad you were able to see that and thanks so much for checking out my stuff! :D

Obi-Dawn Kenobi: LOL!!! 3am Han drawing...that's a good nickname for it! Thanks so much! :)

EmilieDarklighter: LOL!!! Yup, that was for your fic. I was exprimenting with the coloring at the time and after I was finished, I liked how it turned out and decided to put it up as a portrait on its own. Thanks for dropping by! :)

AnakinSkywalker61290: Thanks! :D

Mara_Kenobi: Aww, thanks! [face_blush] I think the first Han portrait is my best as well. I really love how it turned out! Thanks for the kind comments! :)

Your_Worshipfulness: Thank you so much! It's a real honor to hear that from you especially after seeing your work! Wow!

As for the Bespin Han pic, no it's not yet finished. I'm really bad at going back to pieces that I have put on hold. This particular Han pic has been sitting for close to 2 years now untouched. Although, now that you mention it, I may have to go back and complete it. ;)

I'm also glad you liked the Photoshop pieces. I'm just starting to dab in Photoshop and any feedback and comments are welcomed! :)

Darth_Snuggle: Thank you! From seeing your work, I can point out plenty of personality. So, I'd have to disagree with you there. ;)

Kenu: Thanks! Shading is one of my favorite things to do in a drawing. To me, this is the finishing touch that brings everything together and adds personality and emotion to a piece. Thanks for your comments! :)

And now I have a little something to share with you tonight. This is an RPG character that me and my one friend play with. I did a very simple sketch then scanned it into the computer and using [b]DCJosh[/b]'s tutorial, colored it in using Photoshop.

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/jonash-color1.jpg][b]Jonash[/b][/link]

11. labpizza

labpizza Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2005
    The two pictures that you coloured in photoshop are amazing. I especially love the type of colours that you have used... I this this greatly contuibutes to your digital work!!!
    It's so good! i cant wait to see more!
    I also love the Han Drawing you did!! his expression is done so well!
    what can i say.. you're really talented!

12. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Great work, Han, I've finally got around checking back here! I do like that new character... I definitely detect a few Harrison Ford facial features in there, you're just too familiar with drawing him! :p

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Oooo, I like the way you colored Jonash in and still retained his sketch like quality.
    And if I look hard enough, he does seem to resemble a certain smuggler...just a little bit. :)

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Very cool, Han! LOL at all the references so far to Jonash "resembling a certain smuggler:" I see it too, but mostly in his mouth--the lips sort of have that rakish "Harrison-look" to them (which I have always found irresistible, btw!)! I love the coloring here--especially on the face and hair: good shading and highlights, providing lots of volume to him. Nicely done! Got a little "back-story" on the character? (Those are always fun! ;) ) Looking forward to more!

FF

15. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I like that the character has a little bit of comic-bookish stylization going on, but he's still rendered very realistically. And your colouring is getting better and better! I like the palette you chose here.

16. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    I am forever popping in here to see if there's anything new but I can't believe I haven't actually commented yet! :eek: Your ability for producing such animated likenesses of your subjects is amazing! I am hopeless at this and am just astounded by you and FalconFan in this respect. :) It's so easy to tell Han is your favourite though! :D

17. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Oooh, me likey very much!

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    labpizza: Hehe, thanks for the comments. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to color in Photoshop and so far, I find that DCJosh's tutorial produces the best results. I still have a long way to go, though. ;)

ShrunkenJedi: Glad to see you back around these parts as well. :) And I see you detected my little secret with this drawing. And from the looks of the rest of the comments, so have others. This character is actually supposed to be Han's father for an RPG that takes place right before the start of Ep3. I've done some character sketches of the character for myself as well as my friend and ultimately, this is what I ended up with. He agreed this was the best incarnation of it. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Obi-Dawn: Yup, you are correct about a certain smuggler's features being present. Just read my response to ShrunkenJedi and you'll see the reason why. ;) Thanks for the kind comments! It's always a pleasure! :D

FF: Ah yes, the update wouldn't be complete without you dropping by, FF! It's great to see you! And I can't get over all the references myself! I didn't even mention it and everyone is still able to point it out! I guess everyone knows me too well by now. :p Anyway, I am working on some backstory for the character and as soon as I get it up onto the RPG site, I can share it with you all if you like. :) Thanks again, FF for taking the time to check out my thread! :D

wicktone: Yup, the tutorial I used was made specifically for coloring comic books. I really like the way it turned out and I think I may go with this for future projects as well. Thanks for the comments! :)

Corellian_Rogue: Ah, here's a face I haven't seen in a long time! It's really great to see you back! :D In my most of my drawings, I labor over getting the likeness and all the expressions just right. It's great to see that the hard work pays off. I really appreciate the kind comments and thanks for checking out my work! And it isn't too hard to figure out I'm a Han fan, is it? :p

EmilieDarklighter: Thanks! :D

19. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    It has been quite a while since I've been here hasn't it? :p I'm surprised that I'm remembered. Is Jabachile, Cheveyo and Arty still around by any chance?

I must admit that my art has changed a whole lot since then. That's if I ever actually get around to actually posting it here! :D

Hope to see more of your work soon! :)

20. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    Excellent work once again, HanSolo29!

It really does indeed look as though he could be Han's father as you've stated. It's amazing how you can take parts of his Han's likeness and recognize them in a character that you've pretty much created all your own. Also like the style that you've used - it's very well suited.

----
    "Your_Worshipfulness: Thank you so much! It's a real honor to hear that from you especially after seeing your work! Wow! "

Lol, you are far too kind, but Thank - you very much ^_^. I have to draw from reference to get anything remotely decent, you on the otherhand have just proved that you don't need to, and it's something I greatly respect and admire from anyone who can, such as yourself and others here like FalconFan, or Wicktone - to name a couple that come quickly to mind,) :)

"As for the Bespin Han pic, no it's not yet finished. I'm really bad at going back to pieces that I have put on hold. This particular Han pic has been sitting for close to 2 years now untouched. Although, now that you mention it, I may have to go back and complete it."

I completely understand what you mean. I myself have been in that situation before and I often still have the tendency to drop projects before completion. And when I do finally go back or remember them, I sometimes find it hard to continue. I do hope though that you don't suffer through the same fate and eventually do get to finish it whenever possible. It really is lovely work.

I'm also glad you liked the Photoshop pieces. I'm just starting to dab in Photoshop and any feedback and comments are welcomed!

I mess around with Photoshop quite often too, so bid you good luck in that area. It would appear that you are already at a great start. :)

- Suz ^_~

21. HanSolo29

Apr 13, 2001
    Corellian_Rogue: Yea, it has been awhile. Cheveyo was around for a while at the beginning of the year, he even started back up a new art thread. But I haven't seen him around for a while. Arty has a thread here as well and she has been updating it regularly. ;)

As for your work - wow, it sure has changed and I've been blown away by what I've seen. Fantastic job! Keep on doin' what you're doin'. :D

Your_Worshipfulness: Thanks once again! :D Although, I have to admit I had some help with coming up with the final version of the Jonash drawing. I started with a more realistic version and ended up abandoning it. I then tried a more comic book approach and found that worked a lot better. Even then, my friend coached me through some changes to come up with the final version.

I have to draw from reference to get anything remotely decent, you on the otherhand have just proved that you don't need to, and it's something I greatly respect and admire from anyone who can, such as yourself and others here like FalconFan, or Wicktone - to name a couple that come quickly to mind,)

Well, I don't want to make the impression that I do everything without reference - that's not true by a long shot. When I do more traditional portraits and realistic drawings, I always have a reference pic by my side.

I completely understand what you mean. I myself have been in that situation before and I often still have the tendency to drop projects before completion. And when I do finally go back or remember them, I sometimes find it hard to continue. I do hope though that you don't suffer through the same fate and eventually do get to finish it whenever possible. It really is lovely work.

Hehe...well, after you said that and after seeing some outstanding portraits here on the boards(including yours ;) ) and elsewhere, I have a little surprise at the bottom of this post. :p

I mess around with Photoshop quite often too, so bid you good luck in that area. It would appear that you are already at a great start.

Thanks! I still have a lot to learn, though. ;)

And now for my update...

This one has been nagging at my mind for about a year now while it was sitting off in the corner half-completed. Here is what it looked like then:

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/bespin-han-progress.jpg]WIP Pic[/link]

Since then, it turns out that all I needed to complete it was a little inspiration from my fellow artists here at the boards([b]Your Worshipfulness, FalconFan, auelia_acc, wicktone[/b] to name a few). So thank you for that and continuing to turn out some outstanding work! [face_hugs]

Anyway, here is the completed piece:

[link=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/HSolo29/Fan%20Art/solo-bespin1.jpg]Final Drawing[/link]

Overall, I'm fairly happy with it but some things bother me about it. Namely, the background and it appears that I rushed some spots. Let me know what you think and as always, critque is welcomed! :)

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I remember this drawing! (Didn't you post it back when you started on it?) :D

I'm so glad you came back to it and finished it because I think it turned out just great. You really have a great knack for capturing his expressions.
    Looking at it, I don't really feel that the background looks rushed at all, and I think you did a great job on his clothing and hair. It's a wonderful piece. :)

23. DarthZemog

DarthZemog Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Wow, that looks so cool! The shading on it is spot on, and you definitely have Han's likeness down perfectly! Very nice! :)

~DZ

24. Your_Worshipfulness

May 21, 2005
    This is indeed a wonderful surprise! (I think saying 'little' was a bit understated). I'm positively delighted that you were able to finish it! As I said before, it's one of my favorites from you.

My word, his skin looks so smooth and so real, It makes me want to reach out and touch it. You've managed to reproduce his expression with an uncanny likeness - Great blending. Personally, I don't see any problem with the BG, I actually think it's better that you filled it in the way you did rather than going with the ref pic and leaving it white. It gives it a little bit something extra. Overall, I think it's a fantastic piece.

----
    "Thanks once again! Although, I have to admit I had some help with coming up with the final version of the Jonash drawing. I started with a more realistic version and ended up abandoning it. I then tried a more comic book approach and found that worked a lot better. Even then, my friend coached me through some changes to come up with the final version."

Well, even so, that's more than what I could do. It shows that you can work and share idea's with others to get some really amazing results and bring them alive. Sadly, that's a talent I do not possess. So you have my *much deserved* admiration.

P.S. Thanks for your much appreciated input on the av's :) and I'm not sure how exactly *I* was of any help in inspiring you to complete this, but I'm glad that I was of some help to you in doing so.

- Suz ^_~

25. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    That's a great portrait. Great likeness, nice shading, and that "Han" expression (he has more character in his little finger than any other Star Wars character, IMO).

My one criticism: did you edge enhance this pic before posting? If you did, you've gone too far - I can see a halo around Han's mouth and nose. When in doubt, let the picture be a little fuzzy.