main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends SOLSTICE: A TIME FOR RENEWAL - The Rogues and Wraiths ***Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr, Dec 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr Jedi Master star 3

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]SOLSTICE ? A TIME FOR RENEWAL

It was a Corellian tradition that during the Winter Solstice Holidays that candles, which could be seen from a distance, be placed in windows as harkening beacons of warmth and welcome to weary travelers. The candles his parent?s placed about their fueling station had always been a symbol to the many spacers, most who had no family, that fuel, a hot meal and a warm bed were available for them. The Antilles family, like most Corellian families, always set out the candles every year on Gus Treta ? both at their home and the fueling station ? but for Jagged and Zena Antilles it was in an unspoken hope that they may one year guide a certain traveler back to her family but Syal never returned home before they were killed and that made the Winter Solstice Holiday season a difficult one for Wedge; besides, it was also this time of year that his parents had died.

The dark eyed pilot sat in his office ? just outside the slightly ajar door music, laughter and Winter Solstice carols from the many different homeworlds of his pilots drifted in adding to his already melancholy mood ? although he loved this time of year and had since he was a child - as an adult it always cut him deeply, the conflicting emotions often sending him into a spiraling depression until the season was over. During the height of the war against the Empire, he did not have time to recognize that the Winter Solstice was upon him, but since then, every year the Solstice holiday ate at him - he only hoped that this year the holiday would pass quickly. Suddenly, a crash tore Wedge away from reverie as his oldest friend, personal aide and body guard, roommate and oft time wingmate, Wes Jason came bounding through his office door, ?Come on Wedge,? the Taanabian pilot said, dragging the Corellian from behind his desk and towards the door, you have to help us finish up the decorating ? the cookie exchange is about to begin and don?t try to get out of it ? I know you brought something to share, I heard you up most of the night baking,? Wes chuckled as he grabbed a large wicker basket filled with individually gaily wrapped packages of cookies Wedge had baked and handed it to his friend.

Reluctantly, Wedge let Wes drag him into the outer office, the one Wes worked out of: maintenance personnel had been hard at work in Wes?s office for the holiday party ? movable walls had been relocated to enlarge the area to many times its normal size, dimmer switches had been placed on the lights and now the lights were turned down low ? to barely a glimmer - so that the glow from the multitude of different colored candles - the many different colors, each with a distinctive scent, represented a homeworld for each of the pilots in his squadron - mingled and added to the spirit of the holiday; forest green and pine for his home planet of Corellia, deep wine and the scent of a fine Merlot for Taanab, dark brown and gingerbread for Ralltiir, sky blue and Midnight?s Dream for Alderaan, a dark sea blue and ocean breeze for Mon Calamari, sand and vanilla for Tatooine, pastel purple and spiced plum for Pantolomin and so on. Solstice decorations from the different planets covered the walls, hung from the ceiling and covered the large evergreen tree in the corner giving the room a festive, and personalized, air: many of the decorations had been made by the pilots themselves, a few had been sent to them by their families far away. Tucked in next to the tree was a throne-like chair, surrounded by artificial snow, just waiting for Vater-Winter, also known on some planets as Hiver De Père, Inverno Del Padre, Inverno Do Pai, Invierno Del Padre. Pater Frigus, Far Vinter, Isä Talvi, and Otets Zima, to sit and hand out gifts to the children of the squadron ? Gavin and Asyr?s two adopted sons ? the boys who used to live outside the squadron?s base until Gavin and Asyr took them in and adopted them, Corran and Mirax?s son Valin, Face and Dia?s twin girls, Kell and Tyria?s son, Runt and his mate?s sons and daughters, Piggy?s adopted daughter, N

2. JAGSGURL15

JAGSGURL15 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    That was Great.....

3. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Thank you Jagsgurl - I am working on the rest of the story and hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend.

Wedge [/color]

4. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Wedge followed Hobbie?s gaze and sighed quietly to himself, That?s what this season is all about, he thought to himself, Family ? new families, established families, children and parents ? reuniting with friends and family members that one only sees about once a year or on very special occasions such as this ? and the one person that I want to be reunited with, I am not even sure is still alive, his thoughts continued.

?Hey, Buddy,? Wes?s voice broke through his reverie, ?We didn?t do this to upset you or make you cry ? we did it to make you happy ? we know what the Winter Solstice holiday means to you and just wanted you to enjoy the it this year.?

?I am not crying,? Wedge protested, defiance in his voice challenging any of them to argue with him.

?Oh yeah, than what?s this,? Wes teased him as he reached over to wipe at the tears threatening to run down his friend?s cheeks, ?Splashed some Whyran?s on your face to refresh yourself and forgot??

The Corellian pilot swiped at his friend?s hand batting it away from his face as Tycho spoke up, ?It?s ok to let a few tears escape Wedge, it reminds us, and you, that you are human and don?t really have cold space lubricant for blood and a hard, black Corellian diamond where your heart should be like so many who don?t know you like we do want to believe.?

A slight smile crept across Wedge?s face at the Alderaanian?s comment ? he had heard that said by more than one person during his career after he assumed command of Rogue Squadron; if only they knew how little truth there was to that ? that the death of every pilot under his command, every friend who had died fighting the Empire, left permanent wounds upon his heart that would never heal - scars that left a dull ache as a daily reminder that he was one of the lucky ones: because of that very few people, except for his closest of friends and, on the exceptional occasion such as this, his pilots, rarely saw him exhibit emotions of any kind ? he saved them for the privacy of his quarters where his sleep was often interrupted by nightmares and he could cry in private.

?Happy Holidays, Wedge, Wes, Hobbie,? came a merry voice behind them as Jaded Celchu entered the room and embraced her husband.
    ?Yeah, Happy Holidays Oncle Wedge,? cried three year old Evangelique as she broke away from her twin brother Toquade and launched herself at Wedge, wrapping her small arms around his legs, ?Happy Holidays to you too Oncle Wes and Oncle Hobbie,? she cried.

?Happy Winter Solstice to you, too Sweetie,? Wedge replied giving the young girl a hug as he knelt down so that he was at eye level with both children. ?Have you two been good this year so that when Vater-Winter, ah I mean Hiver De Père,? he asked switching from Corellian to Alderaanian, "gets here he will have presents for you??

Evangelique pulled back and stood shoulder to shoulder with her brother, ?Of course we have, Oncle Wedge, Father Winter is going to have to bring lots of presents for us,? she answered using the Basic name for the giver of gifts and stomped her small foot.

?Yeah Oncle Wedge,? Toquade chimed in, ?You know Mummy and Daddy wouldn?t let us behave any other way.?

Wedge looked up at his friends and smiled before returning his attention to the two children, ?I know but I thought I would ask,? he said the smile still on his face and reaching into his eyes. ?Why don?t you go and play - Valin, Kissa and Pyydystää, Fjäril and Fågel, and the other kids are here,? he continued referring to Asyr and Gavin?s boys and Face and Dia?s girls.

?Mummy, Daddy,? they cried in unison, ?May we??

?I don?t see any reason why you can?t,? Tycho told them as he looked at his fiery redheaded wife, ?Do you??

?No. Go ahead and play, just be careful around the tree.?

?We will Mummy,? they called as they headed to the part of the room where all the kids where gathered.

Jaded leaned in and gave Tycho a hug and kiss, ?I have to speak with Mirax,? she said as she bussed his lips with hers, ?You boys stay out of trouble.? With that she blended

5. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Scrambling to untangle themselves from each other, Wedge, Wes, Tycho and Hobbie quickly jumped to their feet, ?Ah, I can explain, Sir,? Wedge began snapping to attention and saluting the superior officer who was accompanied by the Corellian?s CO, General Salm, ?We, ah, we were...? he voice trailed off as he realized that he really did not have a valid reason or excuse to explain his, and his pilot?s, behavior that would satisfy either man.

Returning the salutes of the four pilots, ?At ease gentlemen, there is nothing that you need to explain ? I understand that you were caught up in the spirit of the season,? Ackbar responded while Salm just stood at his side giving then a look that could sour milk and shook his head but before he could say anything a booming voice broke through the hubbub of the party.

?Ho, ho, ho! Glückliche Winter-Sonnenwende, everyone ? Happy Winter Solstice,? the larger than life figured called as he entered the room with a great bag slung over one shoulder and headed to the chair next to the tree ? tight on his heels followed the four Ewoks Wedge had sent to his quarters earlier, each dressed as a winter spryte and pulling a hovercart decorated as a sleigh behind them loaded down with layer upon layer of gaily wrapped packages ? some for the younglings in attendance but many also for the pilots.
    Booster Terrik, his hair dyed white and costumed as Father Winter in a velvet robe of a deep jewel-toned purple trimmed with royal blue fur and topped off with a hat made of the same colors and material, strode over to the chair reserved for him with the Ewoks following, chortling as only they could ? a chorus of ?Father Winter! Father Winter!? erupted from the younglings and pursued him to his throne. No sooner had he set down his over-stuffed bag and sat down, he was swamped by those that were old enough to walk and those that weren?t but still old enough to know who Father Winter was, clamored for him, holding their arms out and attempting to struggle out of the arms that held them.

?Whoa there my little spacers,? Booster boomed in a deep baritone, ?Father Winter has brought presents for all of you but no one gets anything unless you sit around me on the floor and be as quite as Jedi Temple mice.? Immediately all the younglings formed a sitting semi-circle at his feet while parents of little younglings placed them on the floor along side of them.

?Well, well, well,? Booster continues as he rummaged around in his large purple velvet bag, ?Valin Horn,? he said as he pulled a large package wrapped in bright green paper imprinted with small black bubbles.
    Valin threaded his way through the group to where Father Winter sat; taking the offered gift, ?Thank you, Father Winter,? he said taking the present and returning to his set.
    ?You?re welcome, Valin. Remember everyone, no one is to open their gifts until everyone has theirs.?

?Yes Father Winter,? came a chorus of young voices.

The adults in the room withdrew to the back to stand near Wedge, Wes, Tycho, Hobbie, Ackbar and Salm while Booster continued to enjoy his role as the personification of the Solstice holiday. One by one he continued calling out the names of the younglings and handing them their presents, ?Kissa and Pyydystää Darklighter, Fjäril and Fågel Loren, Evangelique and Toquade Celchu, Stefan Tainer, Gynt, Sommerfugl, Kollibri, Hoppeføll and Føll Ekwesh, Nyuni saBinring, Zhuzh?zhanie and Babo?chka Ven and Vlinder, Engelachtig and Aartsengel Qrygg. Finally every youngling had a pile of presents set before him or her, their eyes glowing with excitement as they waited impatiently for Father Winter to give the word to open their gifts ? after several tension filled minutes Booster nodded his head as the signal to begin the mayhem. Suddenly the room erupted in squeals of glee, ?Mom, Dad, look at what Father Winter brought me,? and laughter of delights as every youngling tore into their pile of packages ripping and tearing the paper off: soon ribbons, name tags and paper were strune about the room while each

6. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Recipes for the Rogues and Wraiths Holiday Cookie/Dessert Exchange

CORELLIAN COCONUT OATMEAL COOKIES DIPPED IN CHOCOLATE - Wedge

1 cup Flour
    1 tsp Baking Powder
    ½ tsp Baking Soda
    1 tsp Salt
    ¾ cup Butter ? softened
    1 2/3 cup Sugar
    2 Eggs ? large or bigger (I prefer to use Jumbo)
    1 ½ tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
    2 ½ cup Quick Oats
    1 cup Flaked Coconut
    16 oz Milk Chocolate - Melted (I prefer Droste a Milk Chocolate candy bar from Holland)

Preheat oven to 375 F.

Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy (and I know how you gals like 'fluffy'). Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour mixture, vanilla and oats. Add coconut. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned at the edges. Cool on a wire rack. One cool dip half of each cookie in the melted chocolate and let harden. Makes about 60 cookies. Cookies will spread when baking.

BAILEY'S IRISH CREAM FUDGE - Wes

3\4 cup Butter, softened
    3 cups Sugar
    2\3 cup Evaporated Milk
    1 12 oz pkg Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
    7 oz jar Marshmallow Crème
    1 ½ cup Chopped Nuts (optional)
    2 shots Bailey's Irish Cream (or one small bottle ? airplane size)

Combine butter, sugar and evaporated milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan. Slowly bring to a rolling boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring consistently. Add chocolate chips, stir until melted and well mixed. Add marshmallow creme and mix well. Stir in nuts and Bailey's Irish Cream and mix well. Pour mixture into a 9 x 9 (for thick pieces) or 2 9 x 9 pans or 1 8 x 10-inch pan (for thinner pieces) that have been prepared with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and allow to cool for at least 4 hours. Turn fudge out onto waxed paper or plastic wrap and cut into 1-inch cubes. Store tightly covered or wrapped.

LEMON BARS - Hobbie

Bottom Lemon Cake Ingredients:
    16 ounces store bought angel food cake mix
    1 (22-ounce) can lemon pie filling
    1 cup finely shredded coconut

Bottom Lemon Cake: In mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pie filling, and coconut. Stir until thoroughly mixed (do not add any liquid). Spread this mixture in a 10 by 15-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree F oven. Cool.

Top Creamy Frosting Ingredients:
    8 ounces cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    Lemon zest, for garnish

Top Creamy Frosting: Combine all ingredients until blended well. Frost the Bottom Lemon Cake. Garnish with sprinkles of lemon zest and cut into 1 1/2 by 2 1/2 inch bars. Cover and refrigerate overnight for better flavoring.

APPLE PIE - Tycho

Pie Crust:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    ¾ teaspoon salt
    1 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons cold water
    1 tablespoon white vinegar

Apple Filling:
    5 Northern Spy apples
    ¾ cup fine sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine the flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut room temperature shortening into flour until mixture is uniform and shortening resembles large peas. Beat egg, water, and vinegar together to blend. Pour all of the liquid evenly over flour mixture. Stir in with fork until all of the mixture is moistened. Divide dough in half and shape each into a ball. Flatten each into a 4-inch circle. Wrap and chill dough for 15 minutes for easier rolling.

Dust rolling pin and work surface lightly with flour. Roll dough to a uniform thickness. Roll to a circle about 1-inch larger than upside down 8-inch pie plate. Carefully place one dough circle into pie plate and gently press into form of plate. Trim excess dough around the edge with the back of a knife.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel, core, and slice apples. Mix apple slices with sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Place apple mixture in pie shell. Place second pie crust on top and form to the edges of the pie plate. Cut slits in the top crust to allow for steam to release i

7. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]An
    Using primarily the X-Wing novels as a basis, I use the United States Air Force ranking conventions in my stories only on slight modification; this means that Commander is only a title and not a rank ? throughout the SW novels, people in Starfighter Command had the ranks of Lieutenant, Captain, Major, Colonel and General which means that the ranking system for this branch of the service follows either the Air Force or the Army and not the Navy?s ranking system whereas Fleet Command follows USN ranking conventions with Ensigns, Lieutenants, Lt. Commanders, Commander, Captain and Admiral.

Ranks:

Starfighter Command (USAF) Fleet Command (USN)
    Flight Officer (2nd Lt.) Ensign
    Lieutenant (1st Lt.) Lt. JG
    Captain Lieutenant
    Major Lt. Commander
    Lieutenant Colonel Commander
    Colonel Captain
    Brigadier General * Rear Admiral
    (lower half) *
    Major General ** Rear Admiral
    (upper half) **
    Lieutenant General *** Vice Admiral ***
    General **** Admiral ****
    General of Starfighter Fleet Admiral Command ***** *****
    (General of the Air Force)

* = number of rank stars

No matter what the official name for each of the General and Admiral ranks, the officer is still addressed only a General or Admiral as opposed to Major General or Rear Admiral.

Wedge :>o:< [/color]

8. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    That was a sweet story, Wedge. I know how our Wedge feels, feeling out of place on the holidays can be so lonely, without a partner or kids to share it with. It was great how Booster, who is the closest thing Wedge has to a surrogate father, comes through in the end with a gift that will really affect our hapless hero.

Thanks for sharing your vision of the GFFA Solstice. I can't wait to try the recipes, and I liked how each one seemed to match the character of the person contributing it: lemon bars from Hobbie: HI-larious! :)

*Derisa*

9. Wedge_Antilles_Cmdr

May 22, 2002
    [color=006699]Thank you Derisa,

I'm glad you liked it.

Wedge :>o<:[/color]

10. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I liked the portrayal of Wedge; his feelings under the circumstances seem extremely understandable. A guy who always seems to want family and friends, he has no family and as commander, he can't get too close to his friends. (He & R2 have always been my 2 fave characters from the CT!) And Booster?s appearance was pretty funny; I also like the mix of aliens and human children receiving gifts. Aliens seem to be so overlooked, sometimes. The recipes are an interesting addition; I am going to make a note of that Bailey?s fudge!

11. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    *tear*
    Really nice little fic, Wedge. I really love it. Nice recipies too. Especially the Bailey's Irish Cream one. *goes off to try and see if she can convince her dad to make her one*

:Targeter:

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Sweet, captures the mood of the season well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.