main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some controversy....Your feelings on the EU (Eurpoean Union not Expanded Universe BTW)

Discussion in 'Europe General Archive' started by Darth_Asabrush, Dec 6, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Hi
    There is a discussion going on on the UK board about the relevence of EU membership. Is it worth it, is it a threat to national identity etc etc..... I would be interested in a "European" view point......Your comments would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

2. lejmar_faldor_uk

lejmar_faldor_uk Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 20, 2000
    DA, your clever and stuff or anyone elses whos grown up and smart and can tell a strest out 15 yr old a simple bit of infomation

1) If britain joins the EU do we get things cheaper, and not ripped off?
    2) If the UK changes its money to euros do i lose money cos the pound is high?

i dont know these things =-(

3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Uh, Britain is in the EU.

Well I think the intention with EU is good, but I don't like that Brussels must decide every little rule in every country.

4. Nwalme Jade

Nwalme Jade Ex(patriated) RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 13, 2000
    OK, idealistic European girl here...

Basic statement :

- Nationalities? I don't like the concept of nationality/nationalism. I don't care about being called "European" rather than "French". I don't take this a a threat to what I am.
    De Gaulle must be furious. ;)

- Euro? Well, aside from the obvious problems, I see at least one great point : end of change offices! They make you loose money everytime...

- No passport. Thanks God 'coz that's expensive...

Now, I'm not totally living on my cloud among birds. I know there *are* some problems. Many, actually. But it doesn't mean it's not worth trying!

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    That's what I meant too, Nwalme.

6. Twinnie2

Twinnie2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2000
    I think like Nwalme and Obi Anne, EU is good. It really helps people to share things like culture... and it helps to make us live together ; I mean, we're neighbours, this Union is a very good way to avoid wars (the original point, isn't it ?) and to learn more about the other countries. See the Erasmus plan. It helps students to study in other countries of the Union, and when you learn languages, it's a damned good thing. Not only do you learn another language, but you also learn another way of life.

Have English people any problem with the EU ?

7. MacCaffrey

MacCaffrey VIP star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 2000
    I am sharing the opinon of Nwalme ,Obi Anne and Twinnie2.
    I belive we won't loose our traditions, we only loose borders, which hindered us to see what on behind them.
    Traditions are important for peoples, not for countries.

8. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    Britain is not completly in the EU i don't no all that wired political stuff

but the UK get things alot more expensive then the likes of america. any way an i the only brit posting on this thread?
    well i guess that makes me ambasador cool get me the feraro rotchas (sp?) and do i get little people running around calling me mistor ambasidor? do i do i????

9. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    I believe alot of British people are uneasy about "political" union. They don't like the idea of being told what to do by other people. Ideally the EU is a good thing but, there's always a but, I think maybe our governments are taking things too far. Can't we live together, trade together, learn about each others countries & cultures, have free trade, and less border control without the political union? I think we can. Other countries live peacfully together and don't feel the need to join everything up into one bundle. Unfortunatley people who openly question the validity of the EU are automatically accused of racism and stuff like that. I think there will be alot of arguing in Britain for quite a long time.

Thanks for your comments, it's nice to get a different point of view ;)

PS - lej, I doubt we'll ever get things cheaper over here. "It's our lot in life!" And we're fully paid up members of the EU but aren't in the single currency.

10. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    Britain has a history of power and looking out for its self in the last 100 years from ruling the world as the british empire to having the americans openly showing respect for us in WWII and now be ruled buy someone else!

oh yeah i just sore on the news that germany wants to host a confrence to deciede the power in europe forever! i mean i have nothing agenst the germans but if your doing this by history of europe (witch there not) no offence to germans but is that really the best place? i think nothing should be decided for forever! its just stupid

in fact i think we should just make it a alliance thingy so we dont have 2 rely on USA or ne one but not be ruled buy anyone else!

this is all IMHO don't hate me cos i dont no what im talking about hardly =-(

IM CONFUSED

11. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    Seems like the European power minded politicians should visit the European Fanforce Forums for once. They could learn something! :)

12. PatJedi82

PatJedi82 Ex-Mod star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 31, 2000
    I'm with you when you say the EU is good because we're neighbours and we have the possibilite to share our cultures but on the other hand for several countries like Switzerland it's economical a bad idea.

13. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    i think the main thing is people want to gain experience, learn about their culture etc from the other countries.
    The governments want to have power over the other countries

14. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Flash my man, you're right about that!

15. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    One danger I can see with the union is that we shut the rest of Europe out. It wouldn't be good if just the western and central Europe got the chance to form a unity. Historically Europe is no unity, so it's no use trying to make it a unity, but by letting all europeans in we could form a multicultural bond between us. It's seems as the door has been opened now for some of the countries that wants to become members of the EU, and that's really good.

16. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    Political union doesn't mean "ruled by someone else"!! I mean, do Americans say "we're going to be ruled by Texas if Bush is elected"?
    It's u-n-i-o-n! Policy decided by countries' representatives...

Do we need this? Well I think so. If we have common trade, economy, etc, then it's impossible not to have common policy. Everything is connected. We have to be coherent.

I know that recent history (Bosnia) proved that we weren't ready for common decisions. But we'll learn, eventually.

And as Twinnie mentionned, EU has been created for peace. France and Germany, long-time enemies, have been able to leave the past behind, and are now allies. That's the best thing that has happened to us.

But if UK is strongly against EU... why did they insist on joining us?? That puzzles me...

17. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    The British joined a common market where they could trade freely. The British did not vote to have power passed from it's elected Parliament to a less democratic polical assembly. You can have peace without having political union. Canada doesn't feel the need to have political union with the US & Mexico yet it does have free trade with them.

Most Brits aren't against closer cooperation and cultural ties. What they fear is a lack of democracy that can take place when so many different nations join together. The Americans had alot in common already. A common language and background. The American example just does not fit the European one.

18. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    I am absulutely pro EU!
    It doesn´t mean we all have to leave our own culture behind or anything...It just means we can enrich our lifes.
    Yes, I understand that Swizerland does not want to join, but the EU is an insurance for a safe future and for peace in Europe.
    I am glad we work together and don´t fight against each other anymore!

19. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    Switzerland is neutral by tradition, it's perfectly understandable that they hesitate to join the EU.
    Not to mention that this probably would mean a fiscal reform... and the end of foreign accounts!!

20. Jaina_Mirax

Jaina_Mirax Ex CR North-Germany and GSFF RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
  21. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    Nwalme Jade, americans dont think we will be ruled by texas because they wont!

texas will be ruled by Washington! i think its more the british public who dont want to join the EU not the polititions(sp) Britain has always been inderpendant and 100 years ago was the ultamate power of the universe (more or less)

am i pro or anti EU i dont no

so go on contredickt every thing i just said! come on im not scrard of a debate!!!

22. Nwalme Jade

Apr 13, 2000
    You don't have to be so aggressive, Lejmar. It's not a fight we're leading, it's a *debate*.

Just don't forget that if UK was one of the most powerful countries in the world in the past, this leadership was *shared* with Germany and France. Yet we aren't afraid of EU. Probably because we're been forced (by geography itself), and thus used, to live as neighbours.

I don't blame anybody, and please... to disagree with someone doesn't mean you're doing it just for the pleasure to contradict. Contradiction for itself is just pointless.

Can we all have a smile now?? :)

23. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
  24. lejmar_faldor_uk

Aug 20, 2000
    im sorry =-( im confused! i dont no dont ask me these questions how do i know is'nt this why we have plitions and ambassidors

Hey work monkey ambassidor lejmar wants a ferero rocha!!!

25. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    But why is political union necesary? It seems that only the British politicians see it as that. Most British people don't dislike people from other countries or cultures. You only have to look at British society to see that. There is a good argument for closer cooperation without closer political integration. Lets face it the buerocrats in Brussels and Strasburg (of all nationalities) are not very accountable are they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.