main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some Fundamental Changes to the Universe which would make the saga so much better IN MY OPINION

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Ezekial, Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    -- Jedi and Sith share rule together. Like house Griffindor and House Slytherin are both part of Hogwarts

-- The Empire is the Republic and most importantly, it sees itself as heir to the grand history of the Republic.

-- The Rebellion traces its roots back to one of the opposing factions in the Clone Wars.

-- Darth Vader was once a prince of the noble house of Vader on the world of core world of Corellia. The Vader line had many brave knights and generals through the centuries. Based on Prussian royal houses.

-- Skywalker is actually a country-bumpkin name given to Luke by his adoptive parents.

-- Palpatine was once a Jedi Master who desperately wanted to hold the Republic together. As a faction of Jedi started abandoning the cause, Palpatine becomes more totalitarian, culminating in the destruction of Alderaan. The point is that Palpatine should have a character arc.

-- Darth Maul should have been a nemesis to Vader from the first film to the last film, much like Vader was to Luke. In the last film, Vader kills Maul, finally, and becomes totally corrupt in the process. And thus, no Dooku, no Grievous (especially). Just focus all energy on *one* villain, that of Maul.

-- Obi-Wan should have at some point a crisis of conscience which causes him to defect from the Republic and join the other side of this battle. Anakin, feeling betrayed, seeks him out. They end up battling, and Obi Wan just barely escapes.

-- other side should be numerous aliens. As human homeworlds find it difficult to match their numbers, they turn to cloning. Reminiscent of the post-colonial movement in recent times...

-- some clever easter-eggs of C3PO and R2D2 should be had, but they should be minor cameos. Same for Han Solo, Lando Calrission, and other figures in the later films.

This way, the overall movement of the story would fit in with many of the ideals expressed in the original trilogy. I've always liked how in ROTJ, Lucas made it an overriding goal that an indigenous people with primitive weapons should be shown defeating the technological Empire. This way, you start off as a young patriot who slowly sees the error of his ways and defects to the mystical other side. Goes native, so to speak.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Moving to SWC

3. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    no Dooku?

that sounds crap, no offense.

Also a lot of your suggestions loses it's charm of a fairy tale set in space, and as such loses it's innocence of a tale of black vs white, good vs bad etc.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  4. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Hmmm. You probably should have gone with a simpler, less controversial thread title. Perhaps 'Some fundamental changes to the universe' would have been enough.

The addition of '...which would make the saga so much better' might start a war here.

Plus, you don't just claim that these changes would make the saga better. You go as far as to say 'SO MUCH better'.

Anyway, no disrespect intended. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I agree with Merkual. Good point. And I would hate to lose Dooku as well.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  6. Ezekial

May 24, 2002

A fairy tale set in space that has limbs being chopped off, lots of violence, electrocution, etc?

All that my "fixes" do is they make for better drama by cleaning up motivations of the villains. A good story must have a villain who is somewhat believable. You're just apologizing for bad script-writing is what you're doing.

And it can still be a fairy tale in space with the "fixes" I laid out.

Dooku wasn't really much of an enemy. He just appears out of nowhere in Attack of the Clones and soon after is beheaded in the opening moments of the next movie. Basically...in the prequels, the villains were diluted way too much, which is why htey were so lackluster. To build up tension, to get the audience to really care, you can't scatter attention among like 5 different bad guys. You need to condense it into one: Maul.

7. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank goodness! Without "In my opinion" added, I thought these were some sort of indisputable facts. ;)

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Well then you fell for the dastardly scheme, since that is exactly what you were meant to believe.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  9. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    A fairy tale set in space that has limbs being chopped off, lots of violence, electrocution, etc?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

you haven't read many original fairy tales have you?

Also in response to Dooku: that is the writers fault (this case George) not the character.

Shira A'dola likes this.
  10. Ezekial

May 24, 2002

Um, so it's not Christopher Lee's fault that Dooku was so terrible a villain? I can agree to that. It's George's fault for having sloppy dramatic structure. The entire OP is about how if George had changed a few baselines in the prequels, they would have been better more interesting films.

11. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    having Maul, (the most overated villain in any franchise) being in all three films is not one of them, imo.

12. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    ...Um... I'm sorry but every single idea the OP says is... terrible imo. No offense but... it doesn't seem SW at all

son_of_skywalker03 likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Uhhh what? That would be stupid.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Makes me wonder if this is serious or not...

15. Ezekial

May 24, 2002

Doesn't have to be Maul. It could be Dooku, assuming that Dooku appeared in the first film.

The point is that diluting the villains to such a great degree that...there is no overwhelming rival...was a huge error. Was why people couldn't care about the films.

All good stories need good villains.

The original trilogy was about one central villain: Darth Vader. EVERY event was in response to his actions, in one way or another.

In the prequel trilogy, you have so many villains thrown at you that you don't have the time to *get* them. So fine, have Dooku be the main villain. But put him in the first film and have him be the chief rival. Or Grievous, as horriblely done as he was, could have done. If he had been in the first film and carried to the 3rd. But not having him appear in the 3rd and then die in the 3rd.

Anyways, Phantom Menace was okay, but IMO Attack of the Clones was when it became apparent that the prequels were truly going in the toilet.

16. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    don't you consider Palpatine a good villain though?

he was the puppet master, and lets face it, the only reason why apprentices were even in the PT was for the lightsaber duels,

take AOTC, there was no reason for one to be included, they could have chased Dooku, only for it to be too late, he'd gone. That was the only reason Dooku had a lightsaber, and wasn't just a corrupt politician.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.