Some Heir to the Empire fan music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Aiwendil42, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Seagoat
  1. Aiwendil42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    So I've just finished writing a soundtrack for the first book in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. If anyone's interested, you can listen to or download it [link=http://hep.bu.edu/~slinden/HttE.html]here[/link]. Any comments or criticism (constructive or otherwise) would be welcome.

(Mods, if this kind of self-promotion is out of line, please accept my apologies.)
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    This is actually... really good. I've run across a couple of other fan-made TTT soundtracks, and this is quite honestly the best I've heard so far, since I can actually see if fitting with the books. The Mara Jade theme works especially well. And I like how Thrawn's is slightly reminiscent of his TIE score (not sure if that's intentional or not, but it suits him).

Good job -- are you planning on making anything for the other two books as well? Because IMHO, you've got a knack for sound. Your music doesn't get dull or drone on with the same repeated themes, which is often the case with these MIDI-style scores.
  3. Aiwendil42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thanks! I'm really pleased to hear that you find it doesn't get dull or repetitive. I agree that happens a lot in this kind of synthesized orchestral stuff; there's a tendency for everything to sound sort of flat, mechanical, and homogeneous, and I actually put a lot of effort into avoiding this.

I didn't actually have it in mind when I wrote my theme for Thrawn, but I did play a lot of TIE Fighter back in the day, so it was quite likely an unconscious influence. I do have plans to do the other two books and in fact I've started on Dark Force Rising, but at my rate of work it will probably be a good while before it's done.
  4. Kwenn Jedi Master

star 5
    This sounds amazing so far. I love how you use the established themes; it's always great to hear Luke's Theme being used properly. They don't dominate, though, which is nice -- I think "Obi-Wan's Farewell" uses Luke/Force themes perfectly. Your orginal material is great, too, and seems to keep Williams' spirit well. There's a sense of wonder and awe to Thrawn's introduction, rather than simply being a standard "evil" motif.

Very nice work! Do you have any more examples of your work out there? (Whether Star Wars or not)
  5. Aiwendil42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Glad you like it! I was a little worried I was relying too heavily on Williams's themes in 'Obi-Wan's Farewell', but I guess it turned out all right.

You can hear some more stuff I've written [link=http://hep.bu.edu/~slinden/music.html]here[/link], though much of it is older stuff that, looking back on, I don't think is particularly great. What you'll find there is mostly a kind of progressive rock/jazz/baroque pop mixture; there's also a score I wrote for an old silent Hitchcock film called The Lodger.
  6. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    If you have any MIDIs of those tracks, I could run them through EastWest Symphonic Orchestra if you like, try and get some better samples :)
  7. Aiwendil42 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hi Halibut. I've been using Reason 3.0 to synthesize stuff; does EastWest Symphonic Orchestra have significantly higher quality samples?

I could export the tracks as MIDIs, but I suspect some non-trivial information would be lost - pitch bends, volume changes, etc.
  8. halibut Ex-Mod

star 8
    I believe it does. Over 300GB of samples. I'll send you a PM
Moderators: Seagoat
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.