Some Heir to the Empire fan music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Aiwendil42, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiwendil42 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    So I've just finished writing a soundtrack for the first book in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy. If anyone's interested, you can listen to or download it here. Any comments or criticism (constructive or otherwise) would be welcome.

(Mods, if this kind of self-promotion is out of line, please accept my apologies.)
  2. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    This is actually... really good. I've run across a couple of other fan-made TTT soundtracks, and this is quite honestly the best I've heard so far, since I can actually see if fitting with the books. The Mara Jade theme works especially well. And I like how Thrawn's is slightly reminiscent of his TIE score (not sure if that's intentional or not, but it suits him).

Good job -- are you planning on making anything for the other two books as well? Because IMHO, you've got a knack for sound. Your music doesn't get dull or drone on with the same repeated themes, which is often the case with these MIDI-style scores.
  3. Aiwendil42 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Thanks! I'm really pleased to hear that you find it doesn't get dull or repetitive. I agree that happens a lot in this kind of synthesized orchestral stuff; there's a tendency for everything to sound sort of flat, mechanical, and homogeneous, and I actually put a lot of effort into avoiding this.

I didn't actually have it in mind when I wrote my theme for Thrawn, but I did play a lot of TIE Fighter back in the day, so it was quite likely an unconscious influence. I do have plans to do the other two books and in fact I've started on Dark Force Rising, but at my rate of work it will probably be a good while before it's done.
  4. Kwenn Force Ghost

star 5
    This sounds amazing so far. I love how you use the established themes; it's always great to hear Luke's Theme being used properly. They don't dominate, though, which is nice -- I think "Obi-Wan's Farewell" uses Luke/Force themes perfectly. Your orginal material is great, too, and seems to keep Williams' spirit well. There's a sense of wonder and awe to Thrawn's introduction, rather than simply being a standard "evil" motif.

Very nice work! Do you have any more examples of your work out there? (Whether Star Wars or not)
  5. Aiwendil42 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Glad you like it! I was a little worried I was relying too heavily on Williams's themes in 'Obi-Wan's Farewell', but I guess it turned out all right.

You can hear some more stuff I've written here, though much of it is older stuff that, looking back on, I don't think is particularly great. What you'll find there is mostly a kind of progressive rock/jazz/baroque pop mixture; there's also a score I wrote for an old silent Hitchcock film called The Lodger.
  6. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    If you have any MIDIs of those tracks, I could run them through EastWest Symphonic Orchestra if you like, try and get some better samples :)
  7. Aiwendil42 Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Hi Halibut. I've been using Reason 3.0 to synthesize stuff; does EastWest Symphonic Orchestra have significantly higher quality samples?

I could export the tracks as MIDIs, but I suspect some non-trivial information would be lost - pitch bends, volume changes, etc.
  8. halibut Ex-Mod and 2015 Celebrity Deadpool Winner

Game Winner
    star 8
    I believe it does. Over 300GB of samples. I'll send you a PM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.