main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Some Keys to the Prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by EternalHero, Feb 15, 2015.

1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Taken down a notch from where? His high horse where he preached "better than all Jedi I am" ..!? Yoda was taken down a notch when under his watch the Jedi were wiped out and he was unable to defeat Darth Sidious. The storyline of that episode has no impact on the saga regardless.

Davak24 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

The Separatists were planning on using their army as a bludgeon to force the Republic into making certain concessions. Rather than start a destructive war, the Republic should have capitulated and given in to the Separatists' demands. The lesson of Star Wars is that capitulation is pretty much always preferable to violence. Refusing to fight is the only way to rob evil of its power. After that, you must trust in the Force to properly balance the scales of justice.

This is a radical point that's hard for a lot of people to accept. I know. But that's the lesson. It's been the lesson ever since Return of the Jedi. Luke triumphs only after he stops fighting and decides to let the Emperor destroy him.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I'm not big on the idea that caving in to bullies preferable to standing up for oneself, or the idea of doing nothing and trusting a divine power to fix problems.

If that's the "lesson" of Star Wars, it's pretty terrible.

4. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Hmmm....different scenarios (for a start) but.."peace for our time..." - Neville Chamberlain? Capitulation to the threat of violence is not always preferable...

But, the Jedi still don't get to decide...

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Sometimes conflict is inevitable. But that's a choice each and every person has to make for him or herself. The Jedi serve the Force, and they at the very least should have abstained from fighting. Maybe the rest of the Republic would have rushed into war anyway, but the Jedi would have survived, with their principles intact. They would have been there as a shining example for other people to aspire to, and in that case maybe the people of the Republic wouldn't have been so easily led astray by Palpatine and the Sith.

Cushing's Admirer and HevyDevy like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    A hell of a lot of idealism there.

The Republic was under threat, the Jedi served the Republic. Even if it were completely their choice, I can hardly blame them for fighting to save the Republic.

The Hitler comparison is a good one. I could easily see Dooku or the Neimoidians pretending to negotiate and then doing a "LOL suckers" as soon as they got back to Gunray's castle.

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really.

Fortunately we know that's not the case in reality.

Probably because it's not actually true.

I doubt it.

No, if the Republic had capitulated Gunray would have used his vast wealth for charitable purposes, such as opening orphanages and providing food for the needy.

And Palpatine and Dooku would have retired knowing that they had made the galaxy a better place for all people, which was all they really wanted.

8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Wait..what?:confused:

The Rebels defeated the Empire by...blowing them up.. didn't they?[face_dunno]
    Where do you think all the money for traveling around the galaxy and living in giant temples comes from. The Jedi owed their allegiance to the Republic and were responsible to for doing everything in their power to protect it.

9. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm just telling you that's what the movies are about. It's okay, you don't have to like it. Star Wars isn't for everyone.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Their job was to protect it, but not fight a war for it. The minute they went to Geonosis, they betrayed everything they once stood for.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Debatable. You can interpret the movies any way you want. There is no one way to interpret it. Just because people interpret the movies differently from you doesn't make them wrong. Your statement just sounds condescending imo.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, the old "my interpretation of Star Wars is the only correct one" argument.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. It's not a fact. But opinion. Telling someone that SW isn't for everyone is just damaging and disrespectful imo. Not everything in SW is for everyone but there is something in SW for everyone. Be positive. That wasn't.

14. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm just not sure how you guys could watch these movies and fail to come to the conclusion that the Jedi shouldn't have involved themselves in the Clone War. Like, I legitimately don't understand what you get out of them when you watch them.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  15. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Wait what???

So the rebels in ANH should just have given up and the DS blown them up and then let the DS blow up planet after planet.
    They didn't and they WON. They fought back and they destroyed a terrible weapon that had already killed billions and would probably have killed billions more.
    Same in RotJ, the rebels destroyed another terrible weapon before it could be used to kill the innocents. And Luke would not kill Vader because he realized that if he did this, he would only become a slave to the emperor. And Vader, he KILLED the emperor to save his son.
    Accoridng to you, he should have just stood by and let Palpatine kill Luke.

Also, the seps were planning for war, this is said in AotC.

Refusing to fight only ensures that evil will be in power for ever.

First, the Jedi wouldn't have survived. Palaptine would have the excuse he needs to label them as traitors and the clones would hunt them down.
    Second, really great principles, "We will let a brutal enemy murder billions because that is the moral thing to do."
    Had the Jedi stood by and watched, either the republic would win. In which case the common people would see the Jedi as cowards who could not be bother to lift a finger to protect the republic they are sworn to protect. If the seps win, the Jedi would be even more reviled by the people of the republic "You stood by and let this enemy crush us." Plus the seps would almost certainly hunt the Jedi down.

In short, NOT fighting would almost certainly have made things worse for the Jedi and the republic, not better.

No this is what you THINK the movies are about. Your opinion is not fact. And people can disagree with your opinion and have their own view what the films are about.

Lastly, time and again in SW, people try to stop evil and injustice. And sometimes they use violence to achieve that. And quite often it works well. It worked in ANH, it worked in RotJ, both with the DS, Palpatine and saving Han. Obi-Wan killed Maul, he didn't just give up and let Maul kill him.
    The Jedi are trained to fight if need be and they have been protecting the republic for over 30 000 years.
    The Jedi lost in the PT, partly because Palpatine had set them and the galaxy up in such a way that they were left with only one option. Fight. Refusing to fight would only have made matters worse.
    The other reason they lost, at least to me, is that they were kind of clueless. They should have realized that they were being played and done more about it. This does not mean refusing to fight as that would not have helped.

"These movies" also include the OT. Where Yoda says that the Sith must be stopped, that only a trained Jedi can conquer Vader and the emperor. It sure doesn't sound remotely like the idea was to surrender to them. And where the Rebels fight to stop the empire. Luke wants to act and make a difference while his uncle says "don't get involved."

What the films show, as I said above, Palpatine painting the Jedi into a corner. They have no option but to fight, refusing would be worse. Their "fault" might be not stopping themselves from being painted into a corner. But once there, the choice to fight was the only option they could take given what they knew.

darth-sinister
    You contradict yourself, if their job is to protect it, then IF the republic is attacked by an army, their job IS to fight a war. A war to protect the Republic. What kind of guardians or protectors say "We will defend you, but only as long as no one comes along and actually tries to attack you, then we will do nothing."
    How is standing idly by and let millions, possibly billions suffer and die NOT a betrayal of everything they stand for?
    The Jedi have sworn an oath to protect the republic and their allegiance was to the republic. If the republic is under attack and the republic is asking the Jedi for help. How is it not a betrayal if the Jedi just turn their backs on the republic?

As I said above, NOT fighting would label the Jedi as traitors and Palpatine would have the excuse he needs to kill them all. So order 66 would happen earlier.

Bye for now.
    The Guarding Dark

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Condescension aside, I think everyone here knows what the movies are about, I think they'd generally agree about the message that's being presented at the end of ROTJ. I think the way you presented it was a bit too simple and didn't take account of the entire reality of the saga, and Samuel Vimes elaborated on that a bit, but I was fine with the way you presented it.

The discussion wasn't about what message is being presented, it wasn't about any of that when you jumped in, it was just about the reality of the situation, whether it was just a secession or an invasion, etc. It was more focused on detail than the big picture.

My response did not dispute what message Star Wars presents, just the practicality of that message in our reality.
    As if this one idea about refusing to fight is the entirety of Star Wars, as if there's nothing left to like. I think you know better than that.

Like, I have no clue why you care, or how that thought even comes to your mind. What does it matter? What is it to you?

I think you may have allowed comments or people here to cloud your thoughts in a bad way, I think you've allowed yourself to get personal in what should probably be a very impersonal discussion.

I apologize for that intrusion.

Personally, I've always gotten something out of the lesson in ROTJ, and I've tried to always remember it and take it with me, but I'm also very aware that it's a fantasy; it's not always applicable in reality, imo.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know that I would be as much of a Star Wars fan if ROTJ had ended differently; I probably would have stopped thinking about Star Wars in 1984 or so.

But there is a difference between a great story in which a hero's idealism pays off, and faulting other characters in the story for using the practical solution--the best one they knew--as opposed to the idealistic one.

And assuming that any story in our world would have the same outcome as Luke's, is definitely an idealistic and impractical leap.

18. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

I think you're taking this discussion a bit too seriously myself. I didn't think there was anything too personal being said, given that we're all talking about a series of fictional movies, but now that you've brought it up it seems like a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, doesn't it? Ah well. I guess I'll bow out of this one.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I didn't say stand idly by. They can help in other ways. By being the soldiers, they effectively made things worse. They immersed themselves into the war and in being soldiers, they became corrupted far worse than they were to begin with.

He can't. He doesn't have the executive power to do so. The Senate and the Courts still have that power. If he wanted them dead, he wouldn't have waited three years. He would have given the issue when they were on Geonosis and not expecting it.

20. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    But you're ignoring the actual plot of the films. The good guys defeat the bad guys by killing them. I could say SW is about baking cinnamon buns, but if it never happened it's not a very good argument.
    Sorry we don't have the exact same opinion as you^:)^
    The Jedi went to Geonosis to stop one of their own from being unjustly executed by barbarians.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    The_Phantom_Calamari you're taking the situation that occurs with Luke, and then broadening it and applying it to the whole saga (and real life?), but it's nonsensical in both contexts. From my POV the ultimate message communicated in the final duel is that one must be willing to die rather than turn to the dark side, as death is a better fate than becoming a monster like Vader did. Luke accepted that, and by chance was lucky enough to survive what he thought would be certain death. Now this issue isn't really addressed in any of the other films, except I guess ROTS in another context as Anakin was unwilling to let Padme die, but I'm sure he would have been willing to die himself. But nowhere else in the saga does someone literally have to choose between joining the dark side or dying. So taking that one instance and applying it to all 6 films, 3 of which were made 15+ years later, doesn't exactly make sense.

22. hairymuggle

hairymuggle Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 28, 2014
    Wow, what a weird turn for this thread. I sort of understood the movies as "good beats evil (eventually, with lots of work)".
    I wouldn't have respected any of the Jedi had they just gone "peace out" and left their roles as protectors of the galaxy. They were willing to make sacrifices (morally and physically) to ensure that the good guys win over the evil ones. I'd say that is very much in keeping with the main message of the saga. And frankly, it's not your business to tell us what the movies are about. You can tell us what you think the movies are about.

Maybe Palpatine can't invoke Order 66, but do you honestly believe that when the Jedi adopt a neutral stance in a galaxy-wide war they'll be able to come back to the Republic and expect the same authority and respect in their roles as diplomatic envoys? People would still be baying for Jedi blood. What could they have done?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The Jedi can't win, either in universe or out.

24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That happened no later than the second page.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

Exactly. That one instance is about Luke's journey...personally. As is his training. It's actually about subverting the typical mythical trope. By which I mean, a super-hero/demi-god etc. would have the power to save his friends and destroy the 'monster'. That is the typical hero's story. What the creators of Star Wars (the OT) did was to instead tell the story of what it is to be mortal...it rejects the notion of hero as uber-mensch, as god-head transformer of worlds.

Part of the story is how Luke misunderstands what the Jedi expect of him. He thinks they are training him to be powerful enough to defeat evil, but they are actually training him to be insightful enough to confront evil. That is why his lesson in the cave is a failure, and why he doesn't understand why it is.

There, in the throen room he learns what the Jedi have really been teaching him, what it is to be a Jedi (the true hero's journey) - it isn't about power, it is about confronting evil...and where is that evil? It isn't 'out there'; it is in him. Killing Vader won't give him the power to save his friends...it's a mirage, as all vengeance is - it is impotent rage - it will not undo what is already done. There is no power to be had here except the 'power' to be a monster...the very evil he sets out to fight.

He screams out in agony, not in faith but in hope (there is a difference) as the Emperor fries him. It is not faith in his father (Anakin) that leads to his epiphany, it is understanding that it is about himself and his own choices...not those of others. That is why he looks surprised (shocked) when he sees Vader pick up the Emperor. And Vader, in his choosing looks to Luke, and then at the Emperor. He understands the emptiness of what the Emperor has to offer, of what he represents. He understands the same lesson that Luke has...Luke's example shows him the way. "Only now, at the end, do you understand" is as much to Vader as it is Luke.

The story isn't about Luke giving up on his friends, it is about him realising he can change nothing for them...that anything he does here (in terms of cutting down Vader) will only sate his hatred and anger in the moment. It is about understanding he is not all-powerful, but rather is the keeper of his own conscience and it is that which is important.

It isn't about 'not trying to change the future' and having faith in 'Anakin's greater destiny'..in some notion of an all-benevolent, all-knowing 'greater plan'