main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some People - Part 2 (WARNING: Language)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Azeem, Apr 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    I just don't see his logic (like everyone else on the boards)

ASSUMMING that this "Bill" isn't even the PMer... why would Nick Hallum be pissed off about TF.N's standards being to high, when his film (arguably) sets the highest standard on the site?

Why? Because Bill thinks he is trying to frame him.

Bill, if you're reading, you are the ONLY one that has that logic... it just makes no sense, and you are so transparent it's funny. (I got a good laugh out of your PM, until I read Bill/Son of Sam's email to Azeem.)

Plus, I highly doubt that he had any power to shut down Fanfilms.com... seeing as it is hosted by Theforce.net and is non-profit. and that's assuming everything went his twisted way in court.

I honestly wish I could meet this guy... I know 5 year olds more mature than him, and I want to ask him how he can distort his views on things so much, I mean, that's a gift, it's not an easy thing to do.

So if there is one thing these threads have taught us its:

Some things are just wrong, and threatening a wife willing to dress up in star wars gear is one of them.

Cya
    Mike

2. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Muuuuuuurrrrrdeeeeeeerrrrr....

Muuuuuuurrrrrrdeeeeeerrrrr most foul...

Wix you mocking my signature? :p

I agrre with you though, he is a bit childish.

;)
    Kyle

3. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Y'know, after this thread . . . The next time someone gets onto me for saying **** around here . . .

::smirk::

Anyway, if I may address the original message in a somewhat constructive, but probably flame-gathering fashion:

The original message was screwy, off-base, and made him into an arse on several counts, but a few of his charges (elitism, the amateur/professional line, and budget question) weren't exactly new.

There's a fairly strong base of opinion out there against TFN Fan Films, not in terms of the idea, but the "feel" upon visiting. Now, those of us actually taking part in the TFN community know WHY certain films are selected. We know what goes into them, and often know at least some of the makers personally. We also know the economic reasons that account for how picky TFNFF has to be instead of just taking everything that comes by.

BUT to the outside observer, it DOES often come off as elitist. And when that happens, the "amateurs using professional experience" question is bound to pop-up to question whether or not these are the types of fan films that a site should host. That is, of course, a matter for that site to decide, though. The budget question is always going to come up as well, since when people compare films, they don't say "here's a high budget Jedi film called Knightquest" and then "here's a low-budget film called Crazy Watto." They say "here's a high-budget Jedi film" and "here's a low-budged JEDI film." When you look at the proportion of high and low budget films on TFN FF of the same GENRE, there IS a tend toward bigger budget. It's certainly a matter of quality in film choosing, and WE all know that, but to the outside observer trying to break into the fan film community, it can be rather daunting.

Generally, TFN FF has been doing a very good job lately to be more accessible, broader in acceptance, and so forth. It's been a gradual maturing process that I personally think has been going very well. We'd do well to remember, though, that not EVERYTHING this jagoff has said has been new, and from an outside observer's POV, parts of his original message rang true with the "perception" (if obviously not the reality) of the situation.

He just took it WAY too far, and things exploded. NOW, go kick his testes in. But let's be sure we're not tossing out everything he's ever said or done based on these completely crackpot actions. If we did, we'd be just as guilty of wearing blinders to the world as he is.

Now, on with the flogging.

P.S. Azeem, if you want some depositions for the argument, if not a court case that it won't make a difference in, I'd be happy to talk to Dev and the guys to prove we don't know SQUAT about what we're doing. We're just making this stuff up as we go along. :)

4. Darth Milarc

Darth Milarc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2000
    Cant we all just get along?!?!
    *gets punched in the face*
    Oh, I know you did not hit me!
    I'm warning you-
    Stop hitting me-
    I said-

:D

MTFBWY
    -DM

5. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Hey, Milarc, my fist is getting bloody, can i stop now?

-Chris

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I just got my PM from this fruit cake, and I can put it all down to one thing... He's got "pee-pee envy"! :p

He's just jealous that he can't raise enough capital to push forth a project of some magnitude that people like Joe Monroe, Nick Hallam, and others have, and now he's whinging and moaning like a like an upper class toff stuck in the economy section of the plane (oh, yeah - that's me on Monday - well, all except the upper class toff!) :p

Personally, I hope this guy DOESN'T make an attempt at a film - Yeah, I know I shouldn't have said that. After all, we should ALL have a chance at making the best film we can, but I can't help but feel that he will try to use it/perverse it into a soapbox speech of somekind.

7. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Yo Ninja, just to set things straight:

He HAS made a film, the trailor is at fanfilmfx... it's called Disturbance in the Force... If i'm right NickLong hasn't commented yet.

The thing is, just by looking at his list o' software used, his camera (3ccd, though the footage I saw doesn't look like it...) and his sets (the same parts as they used in BA, and where this whole fight sprang from) he DID have what he needed to make a high quality film. The thing is, he didn't. Simple as that, that doesn't take away from his film, it just says that he did not meet the standard set by BA... that's nothing to be ashamed of, as VERY FEW CAN meet the bar.

But I think it is also taking away from BA to say... hehe (4 ryhmes... can you find them??? :) ) that BA is going to be great because of the resources it had. I think Nick Hallum really did do a great job WITH WHAT HE HAD punto final. His resources didn't do a great job with Nick Hallum, but he did a great job with them, and is about to unleash an amazing film.

It just occurred to me that this guy has taken away the pre-release hype of BA that would be happening now... (like it did w/knightquest).

cya
    Mike

PS: I think Vidman (Nick) has been extremely mature to not comment... the messages/emails/PM's speak for themselves.

8. DARTH_CORLEONE

DARTH_CORLEONE Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I find great amusement in people suing other people over a non-commissioned spinoff film project that could very easily get both parties sued by the original creators of the film upon which this unapproved use of intellectual property is based.

Thanks for the link, Halibut. That was easily some of the most entertaining reading I've done on this website! :)

I too, received The Phantom Message. How and why I have yet to determine.

9. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, this may be stupid me but anyway...

So, I THINK I read i nthis post that the creator of BA, Nick Hallum? Was using TF.N to get to LucasFilm? So?!!? Who cares! I am sure ALL of us would LOVE for that to happen and we all hope that Lucas or ILM takes notice of one of us, thats (to me) what TF.N is here for, for us ametuer or very good ametuer film makers are trying to get our talents noticed so that we can move on to bigger and greater things, that we might get get paid for doing :D But never to forget WHERE we came from and always remember WHO got us here and got our talents out there.

But come to think of it, that might be just what that wierdo said in his PM, I don't know I'm getting old. I can't have onions. :p

;)
    Kyle

10. Darth Milarc

Darth Milarc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 25, 2000

"peace...no peace..."
    :(

I can't believe what is going on here. This guy is filing an actual lawsuit against Azeem??? This could be a really, bad blow to the fan film community. Its obvious how pathetic this guy is acting, and I wonder just what is going on in that rather odd, sad mind of his.

MTFBWY
    -DM

11. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, I just read the first post, with his message on it. So he is sueing Nick? Is that NickLong? But yah, he said he was aiming for a settlement to CLOSE TF.N? Just because his movie did not make the cut? hmmmm.. I am looking very forward to my film being on this site, and if he is going to ruin that for me and everyone else, who is going to make a Film that one day there might be a Film out there that could make History? I don't care if his accusations are true, you don't close something down that people love, and are looking forward to being apart of in the future, just because YOU weren't apart of it, your film sucked, or maybe it was a huge plot against you, involving everyone. I don't care I am taking the side of TF.N if he wants it to shut down.

;)
    Kyle

12. Azeem

Azeem TFN Staff, Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 12, 1999
    Don't worry guys,

1. If he brings charges, I will just subpeona the internet cafes for Bill's name. I will also get the records for his other connections. You can't hide on the net.

2. I will then contact Melbourne Police and the judge that already put a restraining order on him for harassment.

I already have contacted the guy at Prodigy who helped me earlier find the Cafe proxy server.

13. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    "You can't hide on the net"

I know there is some smart comment to say to that, but I just can't think of one at the moment... anyone?

Cya
    Mike

14. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    "...just ask many priests."

15. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    I got his PM before reading this thread. Said "Interesting points" (If I had said it in my read voice, it would have had an oh-so-sarcastic tone), said I wasn't gonna boycott TFN as I've been coming here for like 2 years.

Went about my business. Bleh.

16. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Dear Lucasfilm,

I am writing this letter in the hopes that you will seriously consider me as a creative contributor on your legendary team on upcoming <cough>Star Wars<cough> projects. I have been a long time fan of your <cough>Star Wars<cough> industry-leading work, and I feel that my talents and abilities would be well suited for whatever <cough>Episode III Director<cough> upcoming projects that Lucasfilm will be making.

I have included a tape of my <cough>Ripoff<cough> film, for which I organized a crew of over seventy people, and spent the better part of 14 months making. I am certain that it will take but one viewing of my <cough>pipe dream<cough>, dare I say, 'mini-saga', to convince you of my abilities, and for you to consider me an invaluable <cough>keep dreaming<cough> asset to Lucasfilm.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or <cough>lawsuit<cough> comments, or if you would like any <cough>we're not worthy<cough>suggestions for your upcoming films. I look forward to <cough>mailroom<cough> collaborating with you.

Sincerely,

Bill
    Jedi in Training

17. TheRealFennShysa

TheRealFennShysa TFN FanFilms Staff star 4 VIP

Oct 7, 2000
    Fremen:
    Don't worry, this Bill jerk is just blowing smoke out his arse... there's no way some hacked-off nutjob with a grudge is going to shut down an popular internet site just because he got his panties in a wad over a credit dispute and his own artistic shortcomings...

As you may have guessed, I have no respect for or give no credence to this lowlife... neither should you... :)

Fenn

18. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Look out! Lynch mob on the rampage!

I co-wrote DITF. I don't know the full story behind the dispute behind the dispute between Bill and Nick, so I won't comment on it. And neither should anybody else here.

Seems to be a marked lack of maturity and professionalism coming from all sides.

Whatever Bill or Nick did or didn't do doesn't reflect on their talent as a filmmaker.

19. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    unfortunately, the film does.

20. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Besides, we'd hardly want to be professional on an amateur board, right? That's what this is about, isn't it?

M. Scott

21. Scott_M

Oct 24, 2000
    So you judge the quality of a film by it's trailer?

And Dorkman, just because we are amateur doesn't mean we have to act that way.

22. AdmiralMowk

AdmiralMowk Jedi Master star 2

Jan 13, 2002
    Normally I'd agree with Scott_M. If the conflict is between two people, it should stay there.

BUT...

This Bill guy went about making threats both of legal action and stalker-like violence.

Therefore, I think what has been going on is perfectly fine.

Fact is, the guy shouldn't have made the comments he made. he did, and now he seems to be paying the price.

Peace Out,

Mark "The Admiral" Rosenthal

23. Scott_M

Oct 24, 2000
    And my point is does this sort of rubbish need to go on? Instead of Azeem just warning and/ or banning the offending parties - it's all thrown open to for anyone with access to a keyboard (and no access to the whole story) to vent some abuse on a convenient target.

24. DARTH_CORLEONE

Oct 26, 2001
    Actually, it really isn't fair to judge a film by its trailer. Judging by "ditfsml1.mpg", which I viewed a few days ago, I'd say that this has the makings of one of the funniest SW spoofs I've ever seen, rivaling Troops or GL In Love. But I take it that this isn't what the creators were going for.

25. Scott_M

Oct 24, 2000
    Ah, okay. So it isn't fair, but you'll judge it anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.