main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some questons about Contesting Units (just want to make sure im doing it right)

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by Loyal-Guard, Nov 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    Hi everybody.

After taking a break from the TCG for a while, im back into it with a vengence, and i recently played my first game where the contesting of units occured.

Although i think it worked out pretty well, and definitly added some intresting new strategy to the game, I just want to make sure that I've got everything nailed down rule wise.

1. Just when does the actual contesting occur? the rule book was a little unclear on this aspect. Im guessing it happens just as the battle phase begins, just before any units start attacking.

2. I ended up losing the game because after one build step i was left with no space units, a secure ground arena, and only Darth Vader in the character arena, who I had to retreat when i didn't leave myself enough force points to bid with when my opponent sent an Anakin unit in. Does this sound right?

Oh, and on a completly unrelated note, can the ability on the Diogna card from ANH be used as soon as the battle phase starts, or do i have to wait until it's Diogna's turn to attack?

Thanks for all the help.

2. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    1. Just when does the actual contesting occur? the rule book was a little unclear on this aspect. Im guessing it happens just as the battle phase begins, just before any units start attacking.

You are correct. Contesting happens after the retreat step, and before battle begins.

2. I ended up losing the game because after one build step i was left with no space units, a secure ground arena, and only Darth Vader in the character arena, who I had to retreat when i didn't leave myself enough force points to bid with when my opponent sent an Anakin unit in. Does this sound right?

Unfortunately for you, yes, this is right. When Vader was forced to retreat, this left you controlling only one arena. When the the first battle phase ended and your opponent controlled 2 arenas, they won.

Oh, and on a completly unrelated note, can the ability on the Diogna card from ANH be used as soon as the battle phase starts, or do i have to wait until it's Diogna's turn to attack?

Dianoga (A)'s ability may be used any time during battle, and (as I just discovered) is not limited to the Character arena or build zone. With the advent of in-battle Reserves abilities and Pilots with special abilities, Dianoga (A) makes for an interesting (if costly) means to negate unit abilities such as those on Yoda (E) and Obi-Wan Kenobi (J).

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Sicne I was reading this and wondering what Dianoga A said, I thought I'd post it here for other readers:

5/30/4/4
    Yodran Creature
    Tap -> Choose an untapped Character with power 4 or less. Tap that character. Play only during battle.

4. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    That would've been nice of me, wouldn't it?

5. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    I wasn't implying anything :), I just wondered so I figured others might too. I am not one of those players that seem to memorize every card. :)

6. Loyal-Guard

Loyal-Guard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2002
    hi all. thanks for the advice. I actually have another question here, so i thought i would tack it on here just so i didn't have to start another dead-end two post thread.

Would a card like "Into the Garbage Chute" from the ANH set that prevents all damage to a character unit (then retreats it) prevent the effects of a card such as Darth Vader (F) who causes any character card of 3 or less power to be discarded?

My instincts say no since Vader's ability dosen't actually cause "damage" but simply wipes the card off the board.

Just thoughtd I'd float that one out there.

Thanks for all the help.

7. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    That's correct. Because Vader doesn't actually cause any damage, there is not damage to prevent, thus Into the garbage chute doesn't come into effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.