main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Some rebuttals I have to RLM's ROTS review

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by dagenspear, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagenspear

dagenspear Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2015
    This is a rebuttal thread I wanted to put up for the RLM reviews. I've only ever watched this one review all the way through and I'm fairly sure these responses to their issues don't cover their whole review, partly because I didn't want to with some or that I found some complaints to just basically be based on aesthetic, CGI or opinion.

There isn't backtracking with Anakin. Anakin wasn't shown to be pure evil. He was shown to take revenge. Him doing that doesn't make him pure evil. Just like him having troubles with the jedi doesn't make him evil. The original trilogy didn't say that Anakin was a great noble amazing person. But someone doesn't go from that to being evil just by seduction. They had to lay his anger, vengeance, desire for power and fear of loss character groundwork. Yoda says in TESB that Anakin had much anger in him.

It's clear that Palpatine didn't tell anyone what his plan was. Killing Palpatine wouldn't end the war. Why wouldn't Palpatine know what a sith is? The jedi confirmed that the sith had returned. They would have no reason to keep that secret from the chancellor.

The characters weren't static and boring. The jedi is killed. That's consequences. Why would there be an attack on coruscant? That's where Palpatine lives. That wouldn't make sense. The effects of the war on the people weren't felt that much in the original trilogy either.

Obi-Wan going off on his own isn't pointless. Obi-Wan going after general grievous is what will end the war, which separates Obi-Wan and Anakin, leaving him open to Palpatine's manipulations. Palpatine manipulated the jedi into coming after him. That's why he let Anakin know who he was, so he would tell the council about it and they would try to kill him, so he could say that they were trying to take over.

Yoda expresses doubts several times about Anakin and his emotional state.

They don't say Palpatine's power clouds people's minds. They say that the dark side clouds their view of the force. Obi-Wan says that the jedi were the guardians of peace and justice for a thousand generations, not that the republic that they defended was for a thousand generations. Lunging at grievous would have been dishonorable. They had challenged eachother to fight.

They don't send Anakin because they don't trust him and because Palpatine suggested that they send Anakin.

They didn't just send one guy. They sent Obi-Wan and an army. Yoda was already with the wookies. They need cause for all of what you suggest, especially the attack or being arrested, otherwise the jedi would look bad.

Anakin allows himself to be manipulated, because Palpatine is giving him what he wants. Why would Anakin ask Palpatine how he knows about the separatists leaders? He already knows that Palpatine is the bad guy behind the war.

The death star isn't important in the grand scheme of things. The sith taking over the galaxy is. If vader is unimportant then his character turn at the end of return of the jedi isn't important and neither is Luke and his decision to turn away from the dark side. There is a larger story. Anakin having a central role doesn't change that. The fall of the jedi and the rise of the empire are things that are occuring along with Anakin becoming darth vader.

A lot of it is just him not liking what they did, which is fine, but it doesn't make it bad.

That's all I typed for this. For all those have other parts of their reviews they have rebuttals to, please post them here! Have a very great day!

God bless you all!

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Thank you for your thoughtful post. However, we try to steer clear of RLM discussion - feel free to discuss in the social thread, or in a similarly related topic thread.

Deliveranze and Darth Downunder like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.