main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some Recommendations

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Debo, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    First of all, Debo: an excellent, well thought-out post. A great example of what this forum is for. Now, I'm not going to agree with all of your points just because you took the time to think them through and write them up well, but I do appreciate the effort, and obviously can see that there is a genuine concern for the boards behind all of this. It's good to see. Refreshing, even. Now, on to your points. I'm going to splice your comments to just include the 'meat' so it'll be easier and shorter to read.

[color=blue]1) More moderators... We need motivated mods that care... Also, some of the current mods should be more active and should log in more frequently. Too often there's only one mod online for the YJCC -- not good.[/color][hr][/blockquote]Here is a list of all of the folks who currently have the technical ability to moderate the forums:

Administrators:

Britany - TFN Staff Administrator
    Commander Antilles - Jedi Council Administrator. Also Collecting, Classic Trilogy, and UK RSA
    Hama-Ryu Kinnebi - FanForce Administrator
    HongKongFu-y - TFN Technical Administrator; TFN Staff, Digital
    Joshua Griffin - TFN Staff Administrator
    NathanDahlin - Jedi Council Administrator.
    Scott - TFN Staff Administrator
    spell - TFN Staff Administrator
    Vertical - Jedi Council Administrator.
    zerosleep - Snowboard Programmer

Managers:

Alpha Wolf - UK RSA
    Azeem - TFN Staff; FanFilms
    Bobafemme - Pacific Islands and co-Midwest RSA
    Carter-TFN - TFN Staff
    cbjedi - TPM and NSA moderator
    DaftMaul - FanFilms
    DarthAttorney - EU Community and RPG
    Darth Ludicrous - Literature
    Elan-Rai - Northwest USA RSA & FanForce General Support
    epic - ALL
    General Madine's Hairpiece - YJCC
    IronParrot - JC/PSA Moderator
    Jasman - AOTC Spoilers Allowed/No Spoilers Allowed
    Kadue - EU Forums
    Kessel Runner - Jedi Council Community and The Senate Floor r
    Lord Bane - The Senate Floor, Jedi Council Community and EU Community
    MaxVeers - FanFilms
    Minacia Brightstar - South USA RSA
    Missninfan - ALL
    Mr. P - Prequels - No Spoilers Allowed
    MysterySith - FanForce FanForce Global Support team member.
    Obi Anne - Nordic Countries RSA
    Padme Bra - AOTC, Episode III SA
    Rox - Northeast USA RSA
    Shara_82 - Australian/New Zealand RSA
    Son of the Suns - AOTC, Collecting, Music, Your JC Community
    stinrab - ALL
    Talon Squad Leader - JCC and FanFiction
    The Gatherer - Literature
    YoungJediNiagara - English Speaking Canadian RSA

Moderators:

Bacabachaui - Games: CCG and TCG
    BoB - ALL
    Darth Dark Helmet - Communications
    DarthSapient - PSA
    Darth Sebious - TFN Staff
    farraday - Your JC Community
    Gandolf the Grey - Lit Forum
    gandolfthegrey@hotmail.com
    GriffZ - AOTC, Episode III SA
    jedimasterED - Literature
    jp-30 - Games
    Julie - FanFiction
    Liz Skywalker - Jedi Council Community
    Lobot_Omy - PSA
    Lord_Rive - FanFilms
    Lord Gita - Costuming
    Mace Windy - AOTC, Episode III NS
    Mar17swgirl - AOTC, Episode III SA, Music and Misc
    Morgaine - German-speaking RSA
    Mr.Neck or Yarael Poof - Your JC Community
    Oakessteve - NSA and TPM
    Obey Wann - Southwest USA RSA
    Red84 - TFN Staff; CCG
    Sebulba-X - Celebration 2 and co-Midwest RSA
    Sturm Antilles - Lit Forum
    Uilmuteiz - French Speaking Canadian RSA

That's 66 people with the ability to moderate the boards. Now, I realize that not all of these people have the responsibility of moderating the boards, and some of them are infrequently seen. However, I'd say at [i]least[/i] half of these folks actively contribute and moderate the forums. So, with ~33 active moderators, personally, I feel we're fairly well-covered. Also, 3 new moderators were just promoted to help out with the forums that the staff deemd in most need of more help - JCC, AOTC, and the Episode III forums.

While I can understand the reaction most people have of "if it's getting unruly, just add more mods", having been a mod for quite some time now, I can tell you, it's not quite as simple as that. More mods, despite popular belief, does not

2. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, I guess I covered it,then.

Vertical

3. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Like jelly on toast. Good job. ;)

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    And a few posts back WSAENOTSOCK hit the nail on the head regarding Debo's ideas on the Games Forum, and why they wouldn't be a good idea to implement. :D

Personally I have no problem with the occasional Computer Games thread that may start up in YJCC but I understand why the YJCC mods would prefer to have those people directed to the Games Forum. And any new traffic that comes to the Games Forum with intelligent questions and/or discussion ideas is most welcome. Signal/noise ratio & all that. :p

5. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Excellent replies all; Vertical.

I'll probably reply tonight, but I don't want to do it in between other things. It takes some time to do it -- especially because it's so much -- so hopefully you'll forgive me the waiting.

EDIT: And my first post wasn't exactly written overnight; in this thread I discussed some things with NathanDahlin, among others.

Besides that it takes some extra time because I have to do it in English.

6. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    I'm sorry, everyone, I didn't have time to read all your replies. But here is my take. Some of your ideas are excellent, Debo, and I agree with most of them, except-

3- Well, I am not sure what the reason for this is- are socks taking up server space or something? Because I am totally down with conserving server space. But if not, why not let people have their fun? Of course, any offensive socks should be banned, but besides that, why ruin the fun?

3a- What the heck is the point of that? I probably only post about 3 or less threads a week, but what if I wanted to post an extra cause I had an interesting insight, or needed advice or something? Would I be banned for that? Why?

And I have been banned in the past, so I can only post 1 thread a week? Ok, why? This is really quite offensive. Hundreds of JCers have been banned before- some for good reasons, and some not. Some of my bans were for good reasons, but tyhe point of being banned is you are warned that you are acting liek a jerk. Not that you are blacklisted for the rest of your life. That's what *perm* bans are for.

3b1- Huh? Merge the Senate and the JCC? Lol, the point of the Senate was (as I think has been rpeviously stated) was so people that wanted to discuss delicate matters could, while people that are offended by it can avoid it.

3c- I don't think Games should be moved. games has been one of the few forums that hasn't been shuffled around since I arrived, and I kinda got my start there, so it would be sad to see it move :(

But moving collecting back into EU(I didn't know it had gone to Fan activities?) is a good idea. See, Fan Activities I always thought was where you coudl showcase things YOU created (Fan Art, Fan Fic, etc) and EU was the discussion of all things beyond the movies.

5- Ok, this sounds a bit...I dunno, childish and dangerously competitive. I already see enough competition on the JC, without having flame wars started over "MY thread was rewarded and yours wasn't! You are an idiot"

And finally- JP, you have been a blessing to Games. I don't know what we would do without you! :) (just thought I'd add that, to let ya know not everyone in Games dislikes you cause you care!)

7. Admiral Maciejewski

Admiral Maciejewski Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 1998
    Three treads a week? It seems like you are prohibiting the freedom of speech. No one is going to silence me by three threads a week. Blah. I want my freedom of speech gosh darn it. Where did you come up with this idea?

8. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Ki-Edi-Mundi Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 21, 2000
    2b) After the threads have been transported: up them regularly, like Silmarillion used to do with her excellent "Welcome New Users" thread at the Attack of the Clones forum.

I've been wondering, would it be possible to incorporate the "Line-by-Line" threads into the informational threads (references, indicies, welcome, etc.)? The LbLs and the social threads always seem to be on top because they get some much activity (before they were removed that is). The important threads usually get lost a few pages down until someone just UPs it (points at DarthScully). By combining the informational threads and the "fun" threds (although I don't understand their appeal), we could let people have their social threads while keeping the important ones up top.

9. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    That could be one of the more brilliant ideas I've ever heard.

Vertical

10. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Ahhh, the important information would get lost due to the sheer volume of posts in the social (and LbL) threads.

11. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Not really. Because all of the info in thses threads are in the first post.

We have just found one of the most brilliant members of the boards.

Now get on that world peace/end hunger thing.

Erik

12. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Hmm, so its a sort of Info in the first post, and then carry on your business?

Would that require mods to cull the old threads and start from scratch, or just edit the current threads?

The titles would also be long...."This bit of info regarding that, AND Blah Blah Blah Line By Line"

Also, with LbLs and DFs and whatnot, people usually just skip to the latest page, not go through from scratch.

We would also need to keep a list of what info is where, and keep that up at the top of the page...incorporate that too?

I guess it IS a way to keep the info up, but wont help people to read them.

It does have the advantage of using the snowboards glitch which puts the original post at the top of a page, when you access that page straight from the forum, rather than reading through each individual page.

13. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    Why thank you Vert and Erik :) You two just made my day. I've been debating the last couple of days of whether I should recommend this or not....glad I did!

Ahhh, the important information would get lost due to the sheer volume of posts in the social (and LbL) threads

As Erik said, not really. The title of the thread would be the same (something informative), but those "in-the-know" would know what else is going one inside the thread :p
    Some newbie shows up, sees "Welcome to the forums" and notices it's high post count might be more inclinded to read it. Still no gaurentee, but it's better than having it sit a few pages down.

14. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    One title could be:

***AOTC Links to Official Threads***/AOTC LBL

Who knows if it would actually do anything to quell the redundancy in the forum, but it is a really good idea.

Erik

15. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Look at it this way... currently, most of our 'informational' threads go like this:

Post 1 - (the information)
    Post 2 - "Great post!"
    Post 3 - "Much needed! Thanks!"
    Posts 4 - 1,000 - "up"

So, we're just taking all those "ups" and putting them to use, but by having it be LBL or something, it would get "upped" more frequently.

The first post of those threads is always the only relevant one. I mean, having 200+ pages of "up" doesn't help anyone, either, but currently it's the only way to keep it up.

I think it's a good idea. Granted, if it's a thread where discussion is going on, this wouldn't work. But for a "Welcome to the forums" kind of thread, where the whole meat of the thread is in the first post, this would help keep it afloat.

Vertical

16. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    So, like you're saying post all the info on the first post of huge threads like The Jedi Outcasts and GTKY?

17. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    I don't know. I think I'm just saying write up new versions of some of the old informational threads, and then either turn them into a social playground for anyone, or make it a LBL thread. That'll keep the info at the top, at least.

Although simply editting the info into already existing threads could work, too, I guess.

Vertical

18. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Oh, and about the suggestion to move Collecting back into EU, as someone who posts in collecting regularly, I have to give that a big thumbs down. Collecting has much more in common with movie props, costumes, etc. than actual EU potpourri.

Plus, being the EU basher I am, I am loathe to post in an EU forum :p

19. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I'm still staggered by the genius of Ki-Edi-Mundi's idea.

20. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    What Bomarr said. I felt Collecting was in the wrong category when it was in the EU section, which is why it was moved to the Fan Activities section.

21. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I guess it mainly depends very heavily on the actual definition of "Fan Activities" Does it mean "Things Star Wars fans did themselves" or "Things Star Wars fans like to buy and drool over"?

Vert- I dunno, imo, JCC has enough huge threads full of thousands of posts (I never go into a thread larger than 5 pages long), but it would be hard to locate the important stuff if it was just stuck in with "Katya's Beach Bash" or something. So the question is- if you post the new topic, will they come? In other words, will there actually be thousands of posts in the topic, to keep it up on the front page, or will it sink and die?

22. Vertical

Apr 6, 1999
    Well, if we put the line by line threads in an informational thread, we know Bib will come.

And if we were to 'inject' the info into a thread, I think we'd change the title to reflect that (and include the original title)

Vertical

23. Ki-Edi-Mundi

Oct 21, 2000
    It wouldn't hurt to try. There's enough LbL's to go around. Didn't the TPM forum have about 5 going at once. Line by Line, Word for Word, Line by Line in Gungan, French, etc.. 5 movies * multiple lanugages and dialects.
    I'm not even sure if the LBL needs to be announced in the title, as I said before it could just be a little Easter egg you find by reading the threads. Or maybe that's just corny.

24. JediTre11

JediTre11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I really think a search engine would help the forums. I hate going through all the pages of posts to see if something has been mentioned or to see if a topic has been brought up already.

25. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    A search engine would be helpful, but the feature was removed because it would slow and (possibliy) crash the boards due to the size of the system. It's just not going to happen

¤Night

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.