main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Some Recommendations

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Debo, Jun 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    6) I'd like to say that the new announcements / essentials / informational threads et cetera in the header are a great idea. I didn't know it was technically possible at Snowboards (and hadn't visited the forums Gandolf suggested), otherwise I would have pleaded for it, and possibly not suggest that these threads be regularly upped or placed at the top of each forum. The goal -- making people aware of new stuff -- was the same; the way it is now, works for me. So that's an improvement.

Also, section 2 of my original post has become somewhat redundant as a result.

7) The creation of the Amphitheatre. I see the policy is to make the YJCC really the forum in which you can learn to know "your fellow JC-ers", which is good; games like the Gauntlet and the upcoming Big Brother will / are definitely stimulate/ing that atmosphere. So another improvement, though I must admit I do think the line between the YJCC and the AT isn't always clear, and there are more often than not threads that either fit in both places, or don't fit there at all. Still, give it some time, and that may change. People still automatically head for the YJCC when wanting to post about anything "cultural".

Back to my original post.

3) As for thread limitation: I like to specify, now, that that limitation should be imposed per forum -- so three threads per forum per week, and two for users that have been banned, et cetera. I know it's technically impossible, but it's not impossible to act on a policy. To make it a rule gives it some effect, it's something to act on. I know a mod can't keep checking each and every thing a certain user does, but if he/she sees it, he/she has a policy to refer to, a guideline.

Also, if you're going to complain this prohibits your "freedom of speech", then you must understand that this isn't the real world, and the JC isn't a democracy. Some things can prohibit your freedom of speech -- just read the constitution. There are rules, thankfully.

DarthJurist: "I?d have to disagree with the limitation on the number of threads per member. While it might cut down on redundancy, I think it cause people to make up multiple topic threads, ie ?Why I love Obi Wan and Mace and Why Clone troopers have white armor?.

The components of that title can be seperated and placed / put in the threads where they belong: the bit about Obi-Wan and Mace in a thread about, I don't know, favourite Jedi, and the bit about the Clone Troopers' armor in a thread about that or something similar.

Jedi Greg Maddux: "There's no need for extra moderators. There are roughly thirty of them patrolling the JC forums, although they often tread upon the JCC more lightly than they should. FanFiction, Literature, and Episode III Spoilers have small, but persistent, teams of mods who get the job done. They work as hard as they can to make their areas look as good as possible."

Right after I posted my original piece, several new mods were appointed, two of which were GriffZ and Mr. Neck if I remember well. My point was, implicitly, made in connection to the premiere of AOTC and the truckload of new users that that would result in, but things turned out fine. Still, one or two extra mods for the YJCC would be a good idea, if only to increase their accessibility: as I said in my first post, there are times there are no YJCC mods online. That's just no good. (goldbubbly: "But then i'm still a newbie and who listens to me?" -- I do, and you make a good point that supports mine).

Dan: "1d) I really like your idea about choosing one AC representative. This would be logical because they are there to represent us. The current five AC members could nominate ten people for us to vote for, and then post it a week before they leave and the five new guys go in, one of them being the person we elect.

However, two immediate problems I see on this - Polls are very, very bad. Socks can log in and destroy the voting process. Unless every si

2. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Up. Let's let debo run the forums. :p

And why not bring the Senate Floor to the YJCC? The more pillars of good discussion the YJCC has, the better.)

This is something I really think should happen. Aswell, as the ampitheater. If you suck out all the intelligent discussion possible. It shouldn't truly be suprising what the result is.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Absolutely not. The Senate is not going anywhere.

4. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Thank you, KnightWriter. I love it where it is :)

I began reading Debo's orginal post having absolutely no idea that this wasn't posted today. Oh, how all these things are still being discussed :p

5. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    We all want YJCC to be better-- but whenever someone posts a non-news-related serious topic, it's told to go to the Senate or the Amphitheater. I think combining them is a great idea-- you know, the basic idea of YJCC: learn about you fellow Jedi Knights [and discuss not Star Wars shtuff).
    _jOBO

6. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    No.

Much of what is discussed in the Senate was never allowed in the JCC to begin with.

but whenever someone posts a non-news-related serious topic, it's told to go to the Senate or the Amphitheater.

On the contrary, I very much like to see serious discussions happen in the JCC, and I redirect numerous threads there. People are free and welcome to post serious threads in the JCC.

7. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

I don't see what people have against the Senate. Now, the Amphitheater on the other hand..... well that's a whole other ballgame.

;)

8. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    I noticed that Vertical is listed as Manager under his name, but in his first posty, he lists himself as a JC administrator. So, which position does he hold?

9. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    He is a manager. His first post from this thread is from May, when he was still an administrator.

10. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    thank you, KW. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.