main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Some sketches by Thumper (updated 7/4/17)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Thumper09, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Hi, everyone. :)

I've contemplated making a thread here for a while and finally decided to go ahead and do it. Sketching is a hobby for me, but I'm always trying to improve, and many of my subjects end up coming from the Original Trilogy era. Pencil is my preferred medium, though I mess around with ink and colored pencils every so often when I'm feeling really brave.

This one I just finished last week. A Gran X-wing pilot:

A Rebel pilot's homecoming:

Thanks for looking! :)

(Edit: changed links from Photobucket to a more cooperative site)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    welcome to fanart and your sketches are excellent=D=

3. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Great stuff, Thumps! Where's my "like" button?

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    The texturing on that Gran's face was done quite well. On average, how long does it take you to do a sketch?

5. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Earlybird and Peri: Thank you! I appreciate it. :)

TrakNar: Thank you! :) I hadn't realized how much texture a Gran's skin has until I started trying to draw it, but it was fun to work on. The Gran took probably about 8-10 hours to draw, though it was spread out over several weeks. Humans take me a bit longer on average because they're harder for me.

6. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome to Fan Art!! :)

I really love the texture and shading!! You make the figures look very realistic :)

7. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    NYCitygurl: Thank you on both counts! My drawing teacher has been helping me a lot with shading. It's still hard for me, but I'm getting more used to it.

In drawing class today I used an electric eraser for the first time. Very nifty. I'm seriously considering getting one.

Here are a couple more sketches.

Rodian X-wing pilot (If I'm remembering correctly, the reference photo is Greedo, p. 215 of the WEG Star Wars Roleplaying Game sourcebook).

Rebel commando:

8. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    Holy CRAP Thumps, your Rodian was amazing! That's something better than any comic book Rodian I've ever seen, very lifelike. He looks like he could start to shoot at any moment. The eyes are perfect, the spines and antennae are great; skin texture is awesome.

Your Soldier was also very good, but he lacks the authentic punch that your pilot had. It's like you're more intimately familiar with Rodians than humans. Is there something I need to know? :D

9. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love the Rodian. A great pilot and one of your characters?

and the rebel=D=

10. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Very nice! I especially like Greedo; he's very detailed :)

11. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You are one of those pencil wizard who can really put a deeper meaning into features. Even alien ones. Your characters look alive.

12. AricaBolts

AricaBolts Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2011
    You're pictures are amazing Thumper09! keep up the great work!

13. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Oops, sorry, I meant to reply to this sooner. [face_blush]

Peri: Thank you! Heh, actually, I do know this Rodian better than this human. ;) Numerous stories versus only two and a half, LOL. The commando sketch could be better, but it was one of the fastest ones I've ever done, especially compared to the Rodian which took me a long time.

Earlybird: Thanks! :) Yup, the Rodian is one of my fic characters, Kalre. He and the Gran above are part of my ongoing project to make portraits of each of my main characters.

NYCitygurl: Thank you! I'm glad you like it. :)

AzureAngel: Thanks! [face_blush] For some reason I've always been fascinated by pencil drawings. I just started a pastel drawing tonight, and all the colors on it are intimidating me after I've gotten comfortable with only shades of grey.

AricaBolts: Thank you! I appreciate it. :)

14. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    And I am always afraid that I am not that good with just a pencil as my medium. I express myself best when using tons of colours.

[:D]

15. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm running out of completed drawings of mine that have an obvious Star Wars aspect to them, so this might be the last batch for a while.

TIE Fighter, ink (with a touch of watercolor). I think the reference picture was in the WEG Star Wars Roleplaying Game Sourcebook.

Rebel pilots wearing my take on the Rebel pilot Ground/General Duty Uniform shown in the WEG Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. Pencil.

X-wings, scratchboard. More of a "doodle" without the ability to fix mistakes, LOL. I think the reference picture was also in the WEG SW RPG Sourcebook.

Cracian Thumper, pencil. Based heavily on the picture on p. 109 of the WEG RA Sourcebook. And I know this is a total long shot, but if anyone has any information on how a random person in the general public like me could contact Allen Nunis, the artist of that picture in the RA Sourcebook, I'd be most appreciative. :D It's nothing bad, I promise. I simply want to pass along a compliment and a question.

Finally, here's the non-SW picture in color I've been working on that I just finished tonight. STS-96 Space Shuttle launch, pastel. Reference photo courtesy of NASA.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  16. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    I like the last one and all of the pencil drawings.

17. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Love your new work and the shuttle launch=D=

18. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    That twister is so powerful. The way that you used the colours, wow!

19. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    SilSolo: Thank you! :) Pencil is definitely my comfort zone.

Earlybird: Thanks! I'm glad you like them. :)

AzureAngel: Thank you! :) Actually the colors on the reference picture look a lot neater, LOL. It was tricky to get them swirled and blended right.

20. SITH_MAYO

SITH_MAYO Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2005
    I love your sketches!
    My fav so far is the Rebel commando.
    Keep up the good work! :)

S_M

21. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Thank you, Sith_Mayo! Sorry it's been so long. [face_blush]

I'm dusting off this old thread. I've been trying to learn colored pencil since late last year in the hopes of branching out a bit, but I'm still in the beginning stages of that. In the meantime, I have two other SW drawings I've done.

Rebel pilot portrait. Graphite on Bristol, from about a year ago.

"Lost in Work". A Rebel pilot, his R5 droid, and his X-wing. Graphite on Bristol. I just completed it today.

Thanks for looking!

22. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Great details and an excellent scene on the pilot, droid and X-wing

Love the portrait

23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Got to this thread because REASONS and...wow. WOW. WOW. You're incredible. The last image is breathtaking, the level of detail is top-notch.

24. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Thank you, Ewok Poet! I really appreciate the compliments. :)

I've got a few more new drawings I can add in here.

Three X-wing pilots (my three main fanfic characters, some seen earlier in this thread, heh) in the mess hall. Graphite on Bristol.

"Oyah," from this board's EU Art Challenge. Myn Donos, Face Loran, and Wedge Antilles. Colored pencil on Stonehenge. I'm nowhere near as comfortable with colored pencils as I am with graphite.

Kylo Ren fighting X-wing pilot Luke Skywalker. It's an odd combination, but it was a gift for a young relative who requested it. Graphite with a bit of colored pencil on Bristol.

Non-Star-Wars stuff:

Yawning zebra. Graphite on Bristol.

And my most recent one (just finished it this week), a drawing of the horse I ride. Graphite on Bristol.

Thanks for looking! :)

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. Thumper09

Dec 9, 2001
    Dusting off this thread for a couple new additions...

From last summer, Captain Raymus Antilles. Graphite on Bristol. I'm not happy with the likeness in his eyes, but it's hard finding a reference photo from ANH (this was done before RO) where he wasn't being choked by Vader.

And my newest drawing, an X-wing pilot, graphite on Bristol. This is one of my fanfic characters, Lt. Steen "Snubber" Weas.

Thanks for looking!

Corellian_Outrider and Ewok Poet like this.