main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Somebody please reccomend me some good Starwars books!!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sedious, Nov 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    Somebody please reccomend me some good Starwars books.

Is their any books that revolves around Anakin & his journey to the Dark Side??

Is their any books that in some way shows Luke as an evil Jedi??

Besides those two special requests,any book about Starwars will propably fall in my taste.

2. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

Although you'll find plenty of people who disliked Traitor, I loved every word of it.

Check it out if you get the chance, it's something different (I really feel you can read it without having read anything in the past). It mirrors Luke's Jedi training in some ways and deals with Luke's nephew, Jacen Solo.

3. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Question #1: Not yet. That's an untouchable area until Ep. 3. There are some Anakin books though, just not about specifically how he fell.

Question #2: The Dark Empire comics show that, but none of the novels.

Read the X-Wing series! It's great. Especially Allston's, if you're into humour.

Read the Thrawn Trilogy. If you don't like that, the Jedi Academy trilogy is popular with those who don't like Zahn.

You'll probalby have every single book recommended and disrecommended by someone, so just go out and read anything that looks interesting.

4. ADMIRALSPUZZUM

ADMIRALSPUZZUM Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 13, 2002
    PT: Cloak of Deception and Shadow Hunter are both good.

OT and after: Try Shadows of the Empire, The Thrawn Trilogy, or The X-Wing series.

5. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    My personal favourites are the X-wing books, especially those by Aaron Allston. Brilliant!

But I would perhaps recommend you to try and read the books in chronological order, as they refer to each other quite a lot. I think it's easier to understand for example the New Jedi Order if you've read the previous books. :)

6. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Sorry, I don't have any comments for you, except that I agree with what's been posted so far; I have my own question though. :)

There's a bookstore in town that sells used books for $2, so I went yesterday and bought seven Star Wars ones. I bought the Jedi Academy Trilogy, Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Planet of Twilight, and Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Now, I've read all of those except SOTME, I just can't remember them (I read them ten years ago).

Which ones will I enjoy over again, and which won't I? Are there any there that aren't so good? (BTW I know there are some Darksaber haters, and I personally really like that book, so you can't sway me there! :D )

Edit: Yes yes, you're right, seven. Sorry. :)

7. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Isn't that seven books, YoungJedi11? :p

Well, I have only read Jedi Academy Trilogy, Children of the Jedi and Darksaber of those, and neither of them are in my top ten list of Star Wars books, but if I had to chose I'd probably say Jedi Academy Trilogy.

8. Princess_Liar

Princess_Liar Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2001
    The Dark Forces books! Even if you don't like the story that much, the illustrations will turn your brain into rubber and ping it back against your eyeballs. Or something like that.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    As mentioned above, if you want to see Luke on the darkside, check out the comic series Dark Empire, which is available in a graphic novel format that should be found in most major book stores.

Other than that these are my reccomendations (in chronological order):

Cloak of Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

(The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones happen here)

The Han Solo Trilogy:
    -The Paradise Snare
    -The Hutt Gambit
    -Rebel Dawn

(A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back happen here)

Shadows of the Empire

(Return of the Jedi happens here)

The X-wing series' 1 & 2:
    -Rogue Squadron
    -Wedge's Gamble
    -The Krytos Trap
    -The Bacta War
    -Wraith Squadron
    -Iron Fist
    -Solo Command

The Courtship of Princess Leia

The Thrawn Trilogy:
    -Heir to the Empire
    -Dark Force Rising
    -The Last Command

X-Wing, series 3:
    -Isard's Revenge

Dark Empire comic series happens here

The Jedi Academy Trilogy:
    -Jedi Search
    -Dark Apprentice
    -Champions of the Force

I, Jedi (retells the events of the Jedi Academy trilogy from a different character's perspective)

Darksaber

X-Wing, series 4:
    -Starfighters of Adumar

Thats some of the best stuff to start off with, I'd reccomend tackling the post-Return of the Jedi material in order.

10. Sedious

Sedious Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2002
    Thank you guys :) :)

11. Jai

Jai Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    hmm and if you really wanna read though em fast just read the thrawn trilogy... jedi academy trilogy and the hand of thrawn duology and u 'could' start New Jedi Order from there...

but really just read all of the NR era books apat from a few (PoT,CS,CotJ,nething with castilla in it... ;) ) cos they're all good books..!!

12. YoungJedi11

YoungJedi11 Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, I kind of had a screwey start. My Grandma got me Heir to the Empire when it came out (I was 5 or 6 I believe), and I read it then. Next was Truce of Bakura, then the JJK and YJK series. I then read multiple random books in no paticular order, until I started the NJO in May. Now I'm trying to actually get some story out of the EU...but it's going to take some time. :)

13. WedgeAntilles1

WedgeAntilles1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2002
    Rebel Drea, Rebel Stand,and Destiny's Way are really good books

14. Agent-xXx

Agent-xXx Jedi Youngling

Aug 14, 2002
    Simple question, simple answer:

The basis for ALL EU Star Wars- The Thrawn Quintology:
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future

The Jedi Academy Trilogy:
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force

Truce At Bakura

The Courtship of Princess Leia

The X-Wing Novels(if you want, I'm not a big fan of them.)

The New Rebellion(awesome plot! very interesting.)

15. markdil

markdil Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    The Thrawn trilogy and the NJO hardbacks (Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star by Star, Traitor - not really a hardback but worth the read, and Destiny's Way) are the ones that MOST Star Wars EU fans will point to as good books.

16. Coota

Coota Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2002
    Read Brian Daley's "Han Solo Adventures" book; it collects three books into one. Read nothing else until you do this.

17. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Try the Glove Of Darth Vader series and the Lando Clarssian series. [face_laugh] [face_shocked] 8-}

Just kidding seriously though try the Thrawn Trilogy.

18. jaya02

jaya02 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2002
    you're going to be recommmended every single star wars book, so i'm going to tell you what i recommend you don't read; They Crystal Star. A definite waste of anyone's time. [face_plain]

19. NikeSkylark

NikeSkylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 20, 2002
    i recommand reading NJO, YJK, and the x-wing books... you could probably skip over every other book ;)

~NiKe, DaRK LaDy oF THe SiTH~
    PS. i *liked* the crystal star...

20. NikeSkylark

Jan 20, 2002
    also, try to avoid any book with the word 'thrawn' in the series name

21. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    if you don't want to get confused about who Mara Jade, Jaina, Jacen, Karrde, etc., are, then start to read the Thrawn Trilogy first. It introduces most of those characters. For information on Kyp Durron and Cilghal, read the Jedi Academy series.

Hand of Thrawn MIGHT be essential since it links with the Thrawn trilogy.

Truce at Bakura is a pretty good read for what happened one day after the victory at Endor.

I would have to agree that Crystal Star is a waste of time. Do not read it. its incredibly boring and pretty stupid - only read it for a laugh if nothing more.

Hope that helps.

22. NikeSkylark

Jan 20, 2002
    you don't really *have* to read the thrawn trilogy to learn about those characters... i had been reading star wars books for over 3 years before i ever picked them up... still regret it too...

23. Jai

Jai Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2002
    Skylark i'd swear ur 1 in a million...

the 1 totally and uterly absurd twit on the lit boards... ;) :p

24. NikeSkylark

Jan 20, 2002
    thank you :)

25. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Follow my five step plan, I've recommended it to a lot of people in your position and it hasn't failed me yet. The following are what I consider "the essentials" to understanding the continuity of the Bantam era.

Shadows of the Empire - Simply great, fun-filled look at what exactly happened between ESB and ROTJ. It seemlessly connects the two with a few surprises and adventures along the way. Great cast of characters; Vader, Emperor, Boba Fett, Luke, Leia, Lando, Chewie, and introducing the ominous Prince Xizor! Some will say it's elementary but it's not like we read Star Wars for its eloquent metrical verse.

The Thrawn Trilogy - Five years after the events in ROTJ, the galaxy has moved on, the Empire has dwindled and a blue-skinned Uber-Admiral comes out of the woodwork to help them re-take lost territory. This was the first trilogy published in the Bantam line. Some will say it's complete bantha poo-doo, some will say it's the crowning jewel of the EU; read it and see for yourself.

I jedi - This is basically the events of JAT (yet another trilogy) summarized and told through the eyes of an "X-wing" character. This is the first and only EU novel written in the first person. People either love or hate this book, the haters take offense to the fact that Corran Horn, the main character, is always saving the day. If you can see past that, you're in for quite a ride! This will also give you a taste for what the first half of the X-wing books are like since they're written by Michael Stackpole.

Darksaber - Okay, first off, bear in mind that KJA has left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. I'm not really sure why... okay, that's a lie, I do know why, the guy went super weapon crazy... but if you're willing to see past that, he really did successfully capture that quintessential SW feel. So much so that Lucas actually gave him the go ahead to kill a character from the movies (that was before the NJO which is just a free for all in killing GL's characters ). That character meets his end in this book. Other than that the other major points of this novel is the point of no return for the Empire (which is, they lose so badly that they never recover... ever), Luke has a love interest (which we met in Children of the Jedi, a truly horrible book. Don't even think about picking it up, all you need to know about their relatonship is covered in this novel), and we visit some long lost planets from the movies like Tattooine and Hoth, and Yavin.

Starfighters of Adumar - Well, let's see then there now. Starfighters is basically the one and only solo X-wing novel while the others are in an inter-dependant/trilogy format. It also takes place much later than the other books by some four or five years. Many claim that this is the best of the X-wing series (which I cannot comment on since I haven't finished the series). I through it into the mix because I tried to give a wide breadth of variety to the selections I gave you while still following some chronological pattern and maintaining good reading quality. It's really good if you're into those lighthearted romps in the tradition of ANH or the old Marvel run. It's probablly the funniest book in the entire EU, and it gives you great insight into the minds of some of those X-wing pilots barely touched on in the movies like the great Wes Janson.

Read these books and pick up The Essential Chronology to fill in the gaps in between and you pretty much have the foundation of what the Bantam era was like. You'll be the EU equivalent to a Jedi Knight, but if you want to be a master you'll have to seek tutalage under the likes of posters such as Genghis12 and Valiento. ;)

Hope this helps, MTFBWY!

~PAd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.