main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Someone just said "Obi-Wan Kenobi"...who pops into your mind?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by NorCalBirdz, Jan 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. --Skywalker--

--Skywalker-- Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2004
    they both come into mind.

2. Mustafar_Knights

Mustafar_Knights Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    Eh, I gotta go with Alec; although really, they look so much alike that they may as well be the same person. I tend to think Alec is a better actor by a hair and his Ben seems to accesible and likeable than Ewan's Obi-wan; but that's the way it should be, and Ewan has done a hell of a job with the character.

3. Darth_Devilkin

Darth_Devilkin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2003
    I think of the character as a whole from PT to OT, a young padawan who matured and fought in the clone wars, was forced into exile and eventually became one with the force.

When I hear the name mentioned the visual picture in my head is still of Alec Guiness(sp?). I always think of the scene when he first removes his hood to talk to Artoo after saving Luke from the Tusken Raiders.

I think both Sir Alec and Ewan have done wonderful jobs with the character.

4. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    I thought of Alec Guiness first.

5. lukeskywalkerJM

lukeskywalkerJM Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2004
    I thought of Sir Alec first.

6. RhifRhaf

RhifRhaf Jedi Youngling

Mar 12, 2005
    I have to go with Ewan. He has the difficult job of portraying a pivotal character in his younger Jedi days with believability, and I think he's done it magnificently. He's captured Guiness' attitude, yet still made the performance his own. If one had to distill the entire saga down to one dynamic, it would be the Anakin/Obi-Wan relationship, and how the changes in that relationship shaped the future of the universe. Everything else, though important, exists as supportive development. Physically, Ewan has shown he's up to the challenge, and he's given the character of Obi-Wan something he didn't really express too much in the OT...emotion.

7. CieSharp

CieSharp Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2002
    Sir Alec Guinness.

Ewan McGregor plays a great Obi-Wan IMO, but nobody beats Sir Alec.

8. Captain_Fett

Captain_Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 7, 2002
    Ewan, because anticipating ROTS is the big thing right now. Both actors deserve their share of credit for bringing the character to life, though.

9. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    What he said. ATM I am anticipating ROTS, so when I think of Obi-wan I think Ewan Mcgregor.

10. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 27, 1999
    Ewan. Mostly because of his three movies and Alec's barely even one film when you combine the entire OT. He really is a class act that Mr. McGregor.

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    It's really hard to say. But I would have to say Sir Alec Guiness. Why? Because he's the orginal Obi-Wan. Ewan has to emulate Alec when it comes to Obi-Wan.

12. WLDB

WLDB Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2004
    Probably Ewan. Mostly because he has a much bigger role in the PT than Alec in the OT.

13. RamRed

RamRed Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Sometimes its Alec Guiness. Sometimes its Ewan McGregor.

Next question?

14. DarthDolly

DarthDolly Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I'd have to say the PT Obi-Wan, since he has so much more screen time and is more of a major character. In the OT Obi-Wan isn't as "big" of a character as, say, Luke and Leia, but in the OT his character has as big of a part as Anakin and Padme.

15. GhostHand

GhostHand Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2005
    I have to say Alec, especially the scenes in is hut when Ben is telling Luke about a more dignified past. Plus I thought it was really cool that they used him for the teaser trailer.

16. joeypstyle

joeypstyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    when someone says obi wan I obviously think of the SMOOTHEST DUDE IN THE GALAXY. I mean yes Lando is smooth too, but cmon Obi rules.

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Now my icon comes to mind. Perfect unity :cool:

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. Darth_Desolate

Darth_Desolate Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 30, 2005
    Guiness then ewan almost instantly.

19. Kotzenjunge

Kotzenjunge Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 8, 2005
    I honestly never ever thought of him as Ben Kenobi at any point and still don't. Like, when I first saw it, I shrugged off the Ben name after Obi-Wan said his name was Obi-Wan, ya know?

20. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    obi wan will always be alec guinness. but I have been a big fan of ewen mcgreggor since shallow grave.

21. joeypstyle

joeypstyle Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2004
    yeah i agree, i hes never ben to me ethier

22. crystal417

crystal417 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 20, 2000
    First Alec and then Ewan. I read it and I thought of Alec and then that featurette with Ewan discussing himself in his role of Obi-Wan and how he's trying to mirror Alec's motions from the OT.

~ Crystal ~

23. Jaxxon1138

Jaxxon1138 Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2005
    The first thing that shot into my mind was the brown Jedi robe and hood, followed very closely by Ewan's face. I'm kinda surprised by this actually. I mean, I think both actors are great but I grew up with the OT so I would've thought I'd think of Alec Guinness.

I guess it just goes to show what an excellent job Ewan's done of playing Obi-Wan Kenobi.

24. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Simple answer...

Older Fans: Alec

Younger Fans: Ewan

25. goincommando

goincommando Jedi Master star 1

Apr 9, 2005
    It's odd because the two are so alike in the sense of the way the character almost seems to roll off of their acting chops. Maybe the planets lined just right, but I think Ewan was the perfect cast, not for Obi-Wan, but for a young Alec playing the role of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.