Before - Legends Someone to Watch Over Me (JA thriller/romance - repost) *final post! 07/7*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, May 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Glad you like it thus far, Lilith :)

The following post was co-written with Mouse

Jemmiah had spent a mere hour in the Bacta tank, glad that she hadn't woken up whilst in there. She'd heard Rela's own horror story regarding the tank and ever since then the idea of being shut in had given her the creeps. And besides, her own memories were none too fond?

Leona had done her job faithfully, and had somehow contrived to make certain that Qui-Gon didn't find out about her accident. Jemmiah had spent the rest of the early morning in a bed in Kenobi ward, sneezing from time to time. For some strange reason, the Bacta always made her cough and splutter even though she wore the protective-breathing mask. At seven in the morning, Leona checked up on her and told her she was fit to be discharged and it was with considerable gratitude and with less pain that she had eventually left the temple precinct.

She didn't know if she would ever feel comfortable in there again.

Jemmy had toyed with the idea of going home and freshening up and had started to walk in that direction but something, she didn't know what it was, told her to head for Rela's place instead. She had to apologize to her. Leona was right; the morning had brought calm and reason to her mind. And Rela?she couldn't fall out with her now. Saying sorry would be hard but it had to be done.

Jemmiah waited to hail the air cab that would take her to Rela's. The rain had begun again and something?something didn't feel quite right. It was the same sort of feeling she had got when one of the guards on Nargotria would try to sneak up on her unawares.

Little insect, they used to call her.

Right now, Jemmy wished she had a pair of insect-like wings. That feeling she had was getting much stronger. She considered walking a little further, but her senses screamed at her in warning.

It was a considerable relief when an air cab suddenly pulled up not far from her.

"This address, please." Jemmy showed the man the place where she wanted to go, waving the flimsy plast with Rela's number on it.

Not long after the air cab took off, another followed in its wake.

Jemmiah sighed as she found herself standing in front of her friend?s building.

//Might as well get it over with.// She thought as she walked into the lobby.

A quick walk up the stairs and equally too quick ride in the lift, Jemmiah soon found herself on Rela?s floor. As she stepped off the lift, Jemmiah knew something was going on almost immediately. A fuzzy humanoid was making his way down the hallway away from Rela?s door and straight for her. He soon saw her and gave her a lingering look up and down.

?How you doin??? he asked.

?I?ll be doing a lot better once you leave.?

?I like ?em feisty. You goin? to see Rel? She?s the best lookin? thing in this building. Unless of course you moved in.?

?The only way I would move in was if you were moving out.? She told him in a disgusted voice.

He just shrugged as if saying your loss and made his way to the lift. Jemmy upped her pace and started to knock on Rela?s door, and shortly heard the small redhead inside.

?Brak! For the last time, I?m already seeing someone, so no I do not want to go out with you and I definitely don?t want to sle??

The door was jerked open and Jemmy was now face to face with a surprised and half-asleep Rela.

?Jemmiah?!? Rela said startled. ?I thought you were someone else.?

?I heard. Rela I came to say??

?I?m sorry?? Rela quickly interrupted. ?Me too. I just never? Obi-Wan?s not like that and it never even entered my mind that he could be.?

?We?re over Rela. Can?t you just accept that??

?No, but I don?t really want to.?

Both girls stood in silence for a few moments not sure of what to say. Rela looked up at her gloomy friend and decided it best to change the subject.

?Are you hungry?? she asked.

?Who are you and what have you done with Rela??

?No Jem, I serious. C?mon lets get something to eat.?

Before Jemmiah could step insi
  2. Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod

Manager
    star 9
    Yes, Jemmish is a very scarred individual.. sadly. Still love the fact that Obi-Wan and Jemmiah are married.. even if only on Gurolias. Qui-Gon talk with his apprentice was very supportive and I like how it seemed to bring Obi-Wan out of his misery a bit with tesing his master of his age. Linus... hmm... grrrr...
  3. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Another joint effort from myself and Mouse. Enjoy! :)

Jemmiah was usually prompt when it came to arranged meetings. Being late was out of the question: to do so was to lose out on any free drinks that were going around. Being early was even worse; then there was a good chance you would have to pay for everyone else's drinks. As a typical Corellian both went against every principle that had ever been instilled in her. Opportunism was her favorite word and charity could go take a swim in a cesspool.

"Rel!" Jemmy waved casually as she strode towards the bar. Rela looked up at the figure in the tight black, figure hugging trousers and low cut top. The jacket was slung over one shoulder for affect. All in all, it was extremely difficult to imagine that this was the same dust stained and bruised individual that she had seen yesterday morning.

"Jem!" Rela called her over. "You're looking better then when I last saw you."

"I feel better too." She replied. "Much as I can't stand Bacta it certainly does the job."

Rela sniffed.

"What's that smell?" she asked.

"White Corellian Orchid." Jemmy sighed. "It was the only thing strong enough to cover the whiff of the Bacta."

"It hasn't worked." Rela said sadly. "I hope it doesn't put him off."

Jemmy's eyes narrowed.

"Who?"

"Oh?just someone."

"Rela!"

"What?"

"You said him!"

"So? There are a zillion 'hims' in the galaxy."

"It better not be an Obi-him!"

"You are so suspicious!" Rela said disbelievingly. "I'm trying to help you!"

"Is it?"

"No. Are you happy now?"

"Not really." Jemmy replied.

"Tough."

Rela tossed an ice-cold bottle of Fire scorch Jemmiah's way, her eyes straying constantly to the door.

"So? Who is it?"

"Don't be impatient." Rela peered at the entrance.

"But it's NOT Obi-Wan."

"You have done nothing but talk about him since you came in. Better watch out Jem. People might think you still carried a torch for him."

For one of the few times in her life Jemmiah turned scarlet.

"SO?"

"You'll find out."

"I want to know now!"

"Stubborn Corellian! OK. Ill explain." Rela poured herself a glass of ice water and beckoned Jemmiah forward, leaning across the bar surface.

"He's a journalist. Name's Linus Leaford. Works as a sports reporter for the holo grids, doing write-ups on events and such like. He's here for the big swoop race this weekend. He asked me if I knew anyone he could interview in connection with the race and I thought instantly of you."

Jemmiah frowned.

"What's the matter?" Rela asked. "You don't seem pleased."

"It's not that," Jemmiah chewed her lip, "it's that doing interviews and the like?it would be almost as if I were rubbing Qui-Gon's face in it. You know how he feels about all this. I've done enough to upset him and I don't want to cause him more grief."

"Jemmy, this is just what you need! A bit of recognition! Stop thinking about how Qui-Gon will feel and do something positive!"

"But?"

"It's your big chance! Think about it, huh? He's on his way over to speak to you."

Jemmiah felt really uncomfortable about the whole thing.

"I dunno, Rel."

"Look, if you don't want to do it then fine. But at least wait 'til he gets here. Look him over and see what you think?infact, there he is now."

Jemmiah followed Rela's glance towards the doorway, eyes sweeping the newcomer up and down. Rela looked from the handsome figure of Linus Leaford back to Jemmiah.

Rela knew that she'd miscalculated badly for the second time in as many days. It was quite clear that Jemmy WAS looking him over.

And just as evident was the fact that she liked what she saw?

As Rela looked back and forth between Jemmiah and Linus a very nasty word that she couldn?t say in public came to her mind. This was a mistake.

?Well I must say Rela, you do have beautiful friends.? Linus cooed as he stared at Jemmiah.

Rela just rolled her eyes in disgust and began to spin a bottle in her hand.

?Can I get you
  4. Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod

Manager
    star 9
    Rel, now how did you think Jemmiah would react to a handsome face and now that it's in her mind she needs to prove how very over Obi-Wan she is??? Grrrr....

I would think that Obi-Wan could find even better means to check Linus out... I would imagine a word in his master's ear would suffice to put the man hot on Linus trail??
  5. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Jemmy sat down on the steps in the spectators arena and watched the swoops go by.

At the moment it was all she could do. Her swoop wasn't going to be fixed until tomorrow morning at the earliest and she couldn't really afford to pay for priority repair work. The mechanic had smiled at her in an oily way and said that he could pull a few strings and get her to jump the queue a few places, but Jemmiah politely told him that she wouldn't sleep with him if he were the most handsome man in the galaxy, and seeing he was Sith ugly he knew where he could stick his ratchet.

Not the most prudent thing to say to the man who was in charge of insuring her safety.

Tomorrow couldn't come soon enough for Jemmiah. Watching the early morning swoop jockeys as they soared and raced around the circuit made her feel desperate to get back out there and take part instead of just sitting miserably from the sidelines with only her thoughts for company. Even they were of no comfort.
    Reluctantly she decided to share them with her journal rather than with herself, as she had done from the age of ten until the present day. Even when she was sick or hurt, Jemmiah always tried to make certain that something went into her diary.

One such peculiar entry made when aged twelve, written from a bed in the healers had read something like:

"Wanted to sleep all day but An-Paj told me I had visitors. Through one eye I observed Master Jinn dressed in a Wookie suit and Ben wearing a skirt and a blond platted wig. They started to ask me if I wanted anything to eat and I pointed to Ben and said 'how about him?' whereupon Master Jinn and An-Paj began to chase him round the ward with a meat cleaver.

It transpires that I have an allergic reaction to my medication and there were no meat cleavers and no wigs. This is a pity. I could just see Ben in a skirt."

Jemmy fished her journal from her shoulder bag and started to type furiously on the keypad.

Here we go again, diary.

I've been sitting here for the past two hours in the freezing cold, wondering what I have to do to get a break in this life. My swoop is still out of commission and the race is barely days away now. I was really buzzed about the race before now, you know, the sort of adrenaline rush that you get which sees you through to the end, spurring you on. I've been building up to this for months, if not years. It's my big chance to do something worthwhile for a change. My heart's beating like a Wookie tree drum at the very thought of standing down there and looking up at everyone in the stands. I was excited-scared before hand.

Now I'm just plain scared.

It's the not being able to practise that's got to me. I look down and see all the others clocking up mighty fast times, just thrilled to be able to step out on the course, and here's me stuck like a barnacle to the steps with no alternative but to watch and curse my ill fortune.

I've been dogged by bad luck for a long time now, I suppose it started when Ben and I first split up. That night when he told me he wanted another child and I replied that if that was the case he would have to find someone else to father it with. Talk about insensitive?of all the days he came out with that bombshell he picks the anniversary of the day I collapsed in the restaurant. Sometimes I still feel angry with him for it. And yet if I had known of all the pain that was going to result from the fallout of our argument I might well have tried to bite my lip and say nothing.

There's another anniversary coming up: Emma's birthday or at least it would have been Emma's birthday had she lived to see it. The same day as the big swoop race, would you believe? I'm sure Master Jinn would try to dissuade me from taking part incase my mind is not properly focussed but it will be, come the actual moment, believe me. All thoughts of Ben, Master Jinn, Rela, Linus and little Emma will be blanked from my mind. The only place for a swoop rider with cluttered thoughts is the cemetery?

I've lost two friends over the last four years in swoop acci
  6. mouse2 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    It looks to me that Jemmiah's trying to talk herself into believing she's over Obi-Wan. Maybe one day she'll believe it. ;)

It's not completely Rela's fault she messed up and gave Jemmy a rebound guy. :oops: She just doesn't think that way. But you can be sure she'll do her best to fix it! [face_devil]
  7. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Feet. Shuffling across the cobbled stones in the courtyard, the steps hesitant and nervous as if in fear of some hidden danger. Scared looks and little comforting hugs.

Above all else: fear.

Obi-Wan watched the drama unfurl.

"Master Jedi, I assume you can see this."

His Master had confirmed that they could and Obi-Wan felt his throat constrict painfully, knowing what was coming next?

"Everything that happens here is your fault. Yours and the girl's?"

Obi-Wan looked round, expecting to see Jemmy standing slightly behind his master. She wasn't there.

This was all wrong. It hadn't been like this.

The firing began, cutting down the women who had been herded like Nerfs into the courtyard and Obi-Wan could do nothing but watch as they were felled one by one, their lives taken from them in a cloud of deadly smoke and blaster fire. Obi-Wan tore his eyes away from the carnage and looked at his feet. His master called for Vernice Ashdal to turn off the screen whilst Jemmiah?

Jemmy wasn't there.

This isn't right, Obi-Wan's inner voice urged somewhere from amidst his meditative state. She should be here. She was here before?

He steeled himself to look back at the screen, not wishing to see the carnage. Not wanting to see the waste of human life spread across the stones for all to view. Not wanting to see Merdan's icy stare as he spoke to them.

Jemmy still wasn't there.

"I have another surprise for you, Jedi. You might want to see this."

Obi-Wan swallowed. This was NOT how it had been.

"Why don't you say goodbye to your Corellian rat?" Merdan smiled chillingly, pushing the ten-year-old girl out into the yard. "What, have you nothing to say? No comforting parting words? Nothing about the force?" Merdan's face contorted into something altogether darker.

This isn't real, Obi-Wan thought. Wake up. Do it now!

"See what use your force is to her now." He grimaced, trailing the blaster's barrel round her throat before bringing it to a halt at the side of her head.

"Time to join your friends, youngster." Merdan grinned.

Obi-Wan felt his heart leap into his throat. His words from the argument in the infirmary came back to taunt him.

"I don't know why we brought you back." He heard himself say.

//But I didn't mean it!// he thought desperately //It's not meant to be this way at all!//

Merdan released the trigger.

Even the realization that it wasn't real was no comfort to the padawan as he saw the little body added to the pile of corpses, red now staining the grey stonework now. Why had he said it?

"I don't know why we brought you back. I don't know why. I don't know why?"

His mind seemed to slide to another time entirely, much further on. Sitting waiting in a room for news, all the time fearing the worst. They'd been there for hours now: himself and his master, Evla, Rela and Spider who had accompanied Jemmy back as they'd carried her out of the restaurant on a repulsar stretcher.

She'd been in there for hours.

The child had died. An-Paj had told his master there had been no real chance of survival, and now all he could do was wait for news on Jemmy's condition.

This time when Leona came out he knew?

"I'm sorry," the healer had said eventually, trying to keep herself composed and neutral yet always struggling, "We did everything we could?"

This was wrong, too. He didn?t want to hear.

"But it wasn't enough. In the end we just weren't able to save her." She finished, not looking his master in the eye.

"This is wrong!" Obi-Wan found himself yelling. "Stop it! Stop it now!"

Leona looked surprised.

"But you said she was a waste of space. You said you didn't know why you brought her back." She replied.

"I didn't mean it!" he shouted. "And it didn't happen like this!"

"Surely you can't be upset." Qui-Gon replied with a shrug. "She was nothing but trouble."

"That's not true!" Obi-Wan insisted.

"That's what you said, padawan." The master answered truthfully. "Didn't you?"

"But?"

"She's better off
  8. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    Ohhh now that guy scares me... but then again that is your point, isn't it? ;) hehehe Great postie and nightmare of Obi's! And that last bit of his dream, prophetic perhaps? Guess we'll find out! Great job!!
  9. Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod

Manager
    star 9
    There's something a little odd about him. I've only been with him a matter of days but I can't help but feel that behind the flash exterior there's something? I don't know what exactly. There's something in his eyes that bother me a little; the way they glint when he's displeased. --Force sensitive or not, you should trust those feelings Jem!

Obi-Wan's nightmares were horrific! Scary what guilt can do.
  10. mouse2 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Jemmy, when guys start asking questions with a smile like that it's time to get as far wway from him as possible!

See what guilt can do to you Obi. It eats away at you. Mind, body, and soul! Now you better do something . NOt to just help you, but to help the person you said all that awful stuff to!
  11. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Co-written post from Mouse and yours truly! :)

Rela squared her shoulders as she began to knock on the door.

?Who is it?? a muffled voice called out.

?Mrs. Krabople, it?s me, Rela. I need your help.?

The door was suddenly thrown open and Rela was greeted by a very happy looking woman.

?What is it that I can do for you dear?? she asked politely.

?I need you to help me find some background information on someone.?

?Rela why don?t you come inside. We shouldn?t be talking like this out in the hallway.?

Mrs. Krabople quickly ushered Rela inside. They made their way to the balcony where Mrs. K could keep her watch while they were talking. A comm unit scanner was spitting out random conversations that Rela recognized as being voices of some of her other neighbors.

?Now let?s start at the beginning. What are you up to??

?I screwed up. I?m trying to get my two best friends back together.? Rela started.

?And they would be??

?Jemmiah and Obi-Wan.?

?Who are they again??

Rela rolled her eyes before she answered.

?The sweet one and the naked one.? Rela told her in a frustrated voice.

?Okay, I remember now. All to well as you know. Now why do you want to get them back together? Didn?t they fight a lot??

?I know most beings don?t understand why they got together.? Rela sighed. ?But they love each other, they just won?t admit it. You can tell by the way they?re always asking about each other. I know that they fight, but when its over and they?re apart they?re miserable.?

?Sounds like you?ve thought about this quite a lot.?

?Yes ma?am I have. They are my friends and I want them to be happy. When they are together they?re happy.?

Mrs. Krabople smiled at the small redhead.

?I was going to help you anyway. I just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into. I love this type of stuff too much to say no. Now what did you want me to do??

?Find out as much as you can on a man named Linus Leaford. He introduced himself as a writer for a swoop holo-journal. That?s about all I know.?

?Why him? What?s he got to do with anything??

?He?s sorta taken a shine to Jem. He?s got total rebound written all over him. When he?s around something about the whole thing bothers me. Plus with all those girls being murdered??

A shiver found its way up Rela?s spine and she could help but shudder.

?Okay Rela, I?ll look into him, but under one condition. Let me meet and checkout your fella.?

?Okay.?

?Really??

?Mrs. K, if you can find something about Linus and it helps me get S-B and Jem back together, I?ll bring him over for dinner.?

?Well it will be nice to put a face with the voice.? Mrs. K said knowingly.

?Mrs. Krabople!? Rela shouted horrified.

?Let?s just say that the wall are thin.? She told Rela. ?Although not thin enough in my opinion.?

*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was being one of those nights and Rela was swamped. She had been fixing drinks left and right and it looked as if things were only going to get worse. She knew that Jemmy was coming by since it was so close to the race, and that meant that Linus wouldn?t be too far behind. Not only that but she had accidentally let it slip to Obi-Wan that Jemmy was coming by tonight. At least that was what Rela kept telling herself. Hopefully Obi-Wan would do the wise thing and not show up, but Rela seriously doubted it.

?Hello Rela.? A pleasant voice suddenly called out.

?Hey Linus.? She quickly called out as she rushed by to fix another drink.

?Stop and talk to me.? He insisted.

?I?m pretty busy Linus. Was it something important??
    ?Where?s Jemmiah?? he asked irritated.

?Considering the time, its even money that she?s at the track checking on her swoop.?
    ?Why would she be doing that?? he asked impatiently.

Rela paused a moment and stared at him.

?For a swoop writer, you sure don?t know a lot about swoops.? She told him teasingly.

?What the hell is that supposed to mean?? Linus snapped.

?Hey! I don?t care who you are or who you may be
  12. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    Uh oh... dude is sooo lude... Jem needs to do more than kick him in the groin... He juz better not try anything! As for sending Obi away... why do I got a sneaking suspicion that he isn't all that far 'away'?

And her friend asking for Ms. K to help!!! That was funny! She didn't know the names but said the 'sweet one and the naked one' [face_laugh] LMAO!! that was juz hilarious!!

Great post!!
  13. Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod

Manager
    star 9
    Mouse, all that teasing you did about Rela's boyfriend drove me crazy... just like you intended!! Funny how Mrs. K used this favor as a means to meet the boyfriend... lol! There's a woman after my own heart! LOL! Here we got a small peek into the real Linus... bad, bad man!! Grrrr.....
  14. Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Total Creepazoid. Rela really ought to reduce him to an unrecognizable damp spot on the pavement.
  15. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Thanks for all your feedback, everyone. :) Your responses are gratefully received!

"What has happened in my past is no concern of yours!" Jemmiah tried to say as calmly as her trembling voice would allow.

Why the hell had Rela mentioned Ben? Why?!?

"It is when your past is part of your present." Linus shouted back at her, trying to ignore all the looks of the people on the street as they filed in and out of the cantina. "And how many more of these ex boyfriends are going to turn up?"

"Linus, you're the one who has a problem with this. What did you think I was before I met you? Some sweet little innocent girl with no knowledge of the opposite sex? Because you'd be wrong."

"That much was obvious the moment I met you." Linus snapped.

"If you don't like it then tough luck. I don't have to tell you anything about who I used to see."

"I could make you."

"You can't make me do anything. Nobody can." Jemmy whispered angrily.

"I can make you do whatever I want."

"If you think that then we are finished, Linus." Jemmiah's voice got even lower as she watched his reaction to her words.

"So that you can go back to your Jedi boy?" Linus spat.

"No! Ben and I are finished. Why can't you get that into your head?"

Linus' eyes narrowed dangerously.

"Ben?" he repeated. "You said Ben?"

"Yes. So what?" retorted the Corellian.

"Is this the same Ben that you keep mentioning in your sleep? The same Ben that you swore blind was your brother?" he grabbed her shoulders. "That's not the sort of thing that brothers and sisters usually get up to!"

"We were raised as brother and sister!" Jemmy stepped back. "We fell for each other. Big deal, it happens all the time! He's nothing to me now."

"I don't believe you." Linus shouted.

Jemmy shook her head.

"I am NOT having a screaming match in the street." She said in a lofty manner, raising her head proudly. "If you want to discuss this rationally then that's fine with me. But we'll do this in the privacy of my own apartment. OK? Arguing is one thing but doing it infront of hundreds of people is quite another."

Linus blew out a deep breath, calming himself.

"Sorry." He replied. "I got a bit carried away."

"A bit?" she said disbelievingly, wondering at her own fickleness. If Ben had said something like that to her she would probably have thumped him for it. Why hadn't she treated Linus in the same way? Because she was scared of him? Or were her arguments with Ben much more fraught because she loved him?

"It's you." Linus answered. "You have that effect on me. I can't help it. I see other people looking at you and it makes my blood boil. I don't want other men to look at you. I want you for myself."

"We hardly know each other." Jemmiah swallowed. "I can't mean that much to you."

Linus half-smiled.

"Oh, you do. Much more than you will ever know."

Jemmy could have sworn that someone was lurking by the darkened corner. For some reason her thoughts turned again to Obi-Wan, but that was ridiculous?

She hadn't known if she'd heard something or had sensed something was waiting there - if she didn't know any better she would have said it was the force - but the idea that someone was watching her made her shiver. Suddenly she was glad that Linus was there. Walking back on her own was not something she relished with all the current tales of murders, assaults and abductions?

Linus saw her shake.

"You're cold." He said, taking of his jacket and hanging it on her shoulders. Jemmiah didn't know whether she should accept it or not, all things considered.

"I'm OK." She said in a small voice. "I just want to know where we stand. Do we discuss this back at my place or do we call it a day?"

"Your place." Linus replied after a brief pause. "We had unfinished business there anyhow, as I recall."

He slipped his arm round Jemmiah's waist and squeezed tightly.

"And I have to tell you that arguing tends to make me feel very romantic afterwards." He bent down to blow in her ear. "If yo
  16. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    Uh oh... that could either mean she's out like a light or literally 'out' as in knocked out. Though I wonder... hehehehehehe Poor Qui getting caught up in the middle. And poor Obi having to 'use his imagination' as to what could have been going on. Poor kid.

Great post!
  17. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Post written by Mouse & myself

The continuing buzz from Mrs. Krabople?s balcony finally did its job and woke Rela up. She did what any normal person would do in the same situation; she rolled over and pulled the covers over her head. As she did, Rela grabbed her pillow and hugged it. Even though he hadn?t stayed over in awhile, she could still smell him on her pillow and she buried her face in it.

?I miss you.? She whispered to herself.

Her moment was quickly interrupted by louder buzzing and high-pitched squeaking.

?Mrs. K must have polished the knobs on that receiver.? Rela mumbled as she crawled out of bed.

Rela slowly made her way to the kitchen and poured herself a large mug of caff. As she took a sip of the hot liquid, Rela made her way to her own balcony.

?Good morning Mrs. K.? Rela told her neighbor politely.

?SQUEAK!?

?Good morning to you too, Tube Rat.? She smiled at the little creature.

?Good morning Rela dear. I?m sorry did we wake you??

Rela tactfully decided not to answer her neighbor?s question because she had and it wasn?t by accident.

?Have you found out anything yet, Mrs. K??

?No I haven?t, but I love a good challenge. I?ll find something. Just give it time.?

?I afraid that we may be running out of time.? Rela said mostly to herself.

?Why is that?? Mrs. Krabople prodded.

?I don?t know Mrs. K, its just one of those feelings. Plus Jem? Well, Jem is not being herself. It?s almost like she?s giving up.?

?A broken heart can do that.?

?No, it?s not just that. It?s this guy Linus. He seemed nice enough in the beginning, but his true self is starting to seep out. I poked around the edges last night and if it hadn?t been for Jem we would have probably come to blows. He wants to be the center of attention, or more accurately the center of Jemmiah attention. It?s almost like he?s obsessed? SITH!?

?What is it dear?? Mrs. Krabople asked in a worried tone.

?I don?t believe I missed it! He?s obsessed with her! And either Jemmy doesn?t see it or she doesn?t care.?

Rela rushed inside and began to get dressed. She was soon back out on the balcony so she could talk to Mrs. K as she put on her boots.

?I?m sorry Mrs. K, but I need to get over to Jemmy?s.?

?To warn her??

?Yeah, that and apologize. I was pretty harsh last night and brought some things up that I shouldn?t have. I?ll come back by later and fill you in, so you better have more info on this guy. Deal??

?Deal! Now get going.?

?Thanks Mrs. K! Later!?

?Squeak!?

?Later, to you too Tube Rat!?

*~*~*~*~

After hitting the streets in a run, Rela soon found herself at Jemmiah?s apartment. She gave a quick prayer to the gods, the Force or whatever may be listening that Linus wasn?t there. It wasn?t a nice thing to kill someone in the hallway of your best friend?s building. Rela quickly made her way to the lift and before long was standing in front of Jemmiah?s door. She took a deep breath and knocked.

?Jem, are you there? It?s me Rel.?

No answer.

?C?mon Jem. I?m sorry. I lost my temper last night and said some things that I shouldn?t have. I just want to know if you?re okay.?

Silence.

?Jemmy please. Open the door, or just say something so I know you?re alright.?

Now Rela was getting worried.

?Jemmiah Gleshan say something! You do not want me to open this door. I can have it unlocked and open in less then a minute. C?mon time me!?

?Go away Rela.? Finally came a weak voice.

?Well at least I know you?re still alive. Like I said Jemmy, I?m sorry. I?m sorry that I introduced that guy to you. I?m sorry that I threw you and Obi-Wan together that day. I?m sorry about a whole bunch of things Jem, but I am not sorry that Linus and I almost had it out last night. I know you?re not going to open your door, but please listen to me Jem. He is bad news. He?s not what you think. He?s obsessed with you and now that he has you he treats you like an inanimate object. You are not Jemmiah with him. You are Linus? possession.?

?
  18. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    Ohhh Obi senses something wrong... poor kid!

So she's allowing that guy to abuse her? *Grrr* dude needs to be *Smacked* royally by all 3 persons! (Rela, Obi, and Qui!) if not more people! Abuse... not a good thing.

Qui is blinded by the 'not want to interfer' bit. I bet he'd sense something if he sat down and meditated on it! ;) Stubborn old fox! ;) hehehe

Great post!
  19. mouse2 Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Got it in one go." Jinn admitted. "I don't know what it is about those two. All my grey hairs are down to them. They seem determined between the pair of them to push me into an early grave."

"Don't say that." Leona shuddered slightly. "It's bad luck."

"Sorry." Smiled Qui-Gon as he raised his glass in a toast. "Here's to many years of having grey hairs."

The foreshadowing Queen strikes again! But I think this statement shows how much his death impacts both Obi-Wan and Jemmiah.

Linus, it is never a good thing to hang up on Qui-Gon! You're going down! :p Then again at the moment I don't think Qui-Gon's being too mindful of the living Force. You've got some clues you need to pick up on there Master J!
  20. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Linus smiled.

"Your little friend seems to want to cause me some permanent damage." He remarked idly as Jemmy managed to walk stiffly back into the room.

"I wonder why that would be." Jemmy mumbled.

The smile turned into a frown very quickly and Jemmy took one pace back.

"Did you have something to say?" he leaned against the door pointedly, cutting off her escape.

"Me? Why should I have anything to say? Would it matter even if I did?" Jemmy said bitterly. "I think you made your feelings quite clear last night regarding the subject. I don't have an opinion worth listening to and so when I try to explain something you decide to beat the hell out me. For my own good of course." Jemmy said mockingly.

"Just don't even look at that ex boyfriend of yours again. That's all."

"I told you we were finished. Why can't you accept that? Or do you just enjoy thrashing people to get a perverted thrill?"

"I said I was sorry." Linus mumbled softly.

"I don't like your way of saying sorry. Especially not when I'm covered in bruises and just want to go to sleep!"

"So I'm not important to you, obviously!" he growled at her.

"I never said that."

"You will do as you are told." Linus replied.

"And I will do what I want when I'm in MY apartment. MINE, Linus. Got that?"

She watched his face twitch in annoyance.

"Don't you ever tell anyone what happened here last night. It will be all the worse for that red haired creature if you do." He snorted eventually.

Jemmy looked at him with more than a degree of contempt.

"I've had a lifetime of keeping secrets for psychopaths. Believe me, I'm not to keen about crowing about the fact I look like a Gundaark's been sitting on me all night."

"Glad to hear it." Linus grabbed his coat.

Jemmy suddenly felt scared. Not for herself, but for Rela?

"Where are you going?" she asked in a trembling voice.

"Out!" he called back.

"But where?"

The only sound that drifted back was the sound of his feet walking slowly over to the lift. Jemmy sighed and leaned heavily against the door. She was glad he was gone. Last night was not an ordeal she wanted repeated in a hurry, and she knew that it would undoubtedly happen again. Linus was the type of person who would plead for many, many chances to redeem himself and change his ways and no sooner had all been forgiven he would surely resort to his fists again.

Simply, he had to go.

Yes, the situation with Ben had made her miserable and she'd wanted to hurt herself for being the cause of so much pain. She'd deserved nothing less. But this?this was something different. This was yet another case of a man hell bent on making her life a misery. She'd had her share of those in the past.

There had been nothing she could do about Merdan or even Gabriel Levinstowe's unwanted attentions but she had the chance to do something about this one before it got out of hand.

Why had it taken her so long to come to that conclusion, she wondered as her hand strayed painfully down to her side?was she born to suffer? Or did she invite trouble?

Silently, Jemmy set about picking up the few possessions that Linus had left in her apartment.

She wasn't unhappy. In truth she was relieved that this brief and disastrous chapter was being closed. All she had to do now was tell him?

That was going to be the tricky part. If she'd thought that she owned a temper second to none, she was wrong by one person. She had the marks to prove it. They didn't bother her so much as they pain they had brought to her mind. Jemmiah had been beaten before, but it was the first time she'd ever connected the idea that the blows she'd occasionally dealt Obi-Wan must have really hurt?

For that much she was sorry.

The door buzzer sounded and Jemmy dropped Linus' cigarra case onto the floor. It couldn't be him again, could it? He'd only just left?what if it was Rela once more? She couldn't be seen talking to her until after she'd told Linus that she was finishing with him. The fear she had felt for her friend re
  21. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    What could go wrong has gone wrong... oh my.. Poor girl!! And Obi! Poor kids...

Great post!!!!!! Totally!!
  22. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5

Qui-Gon frowned, tiny furrows of displeasure creasing the leonine forehead as he regarded the chrono on the wall.

His padawan had been gone a good long while now and judging by the hastily written note shoved underneath the vase on the dining table he wondered if Obi-Wan hadn't set out in the middle of the night. The master couldn't help but roll his eyes at the young man's behavior. It was behavior that he had once recognized in himself. As for Sal-Fina?

Whatever he had thought about his padawan's relationship with Jemmiah he knew that the Corellian girl was NOT another Sal-Fina. He'd seen enough over the years to know that they were very dissimilar indeed. Both were beautiful, both could attract men without any effort. But Jemmiah was not generally a spiteful person, and considering all the things she had gone through as a child Qui-Gon considered that made her all the more remarkable. As for Obi-Wan, he couldn't help feeling what he did for her.

Jinn smiled. Perhaps, as Leona had once said, it was the will of the force?

Jemmiah seemed to be going out of her way to ignore the will if the force if that was the case. He'd wanted to reassure himself last night that she was fine and coping well after her accident, (and yes, he damn well wanted to discuss that too!) then to have been met by this man?

Obi-Wan didn't like him, that much was obvious. Then again where Jemmiah was concerned there was nobody good enough in the galaxy.

He thought so too.

That was why he'd found himself to be so uncomfortable at the thought of anyone other than his apprentice seeing the girl he'd come to look on as a sort of daughter. He'd never admit to fully liking them as a couple, but it now felt far more right for them to be together than it did for them not to.

And the foolish boy had asked her to marry him.

Why?

He doubted very much that Jemmiah would have said yes at any time, but choosing the moment he did when everyone was feeling so raw and emotional after the Merdan ordeal was just asking for trouble. Obi-Wan had been hurt, his confidence knocked. Jemmiah had felt alone and vulnerable, so much that she had removed herself from their lives. Whilst not openly sentimental, Qui-Gon admitted to himself that he wished she were back in the temple.

//Where I can keep an eye on her// he thought wryly.

Obi-Wan was not given to panicking or unwarranted fears and Qui-Gon began to feel the first shivers of doubt travel down his spine. He'd tried to get as much information about this Linus character out of his padawan, but either he didn't know or he wouldn't say much that would help. It was always unwise to go with first impressions and yet Jinn couldn't help but feel there was something wrong with this superficially charming young man of Jemmiah's.

He heard a noise behind him but didn't turn round.

"Ah. There you are, padawan." Qui-Gon said gently. "How did your meeting with Jemmiah go?"

Obi-Wan said nothing but Qui-Gon could feel the glare biting at the back of his head. The apprentice hung his robe over the chair, an act of untidiness that Qui-Gon would normally have taken him to task over but this time he let the matter rest. He heard the creak of the sofa as Obi-Wan sat down. That sofa had never been the same since he'd caught the gruesome twosome in a rather compromising position and the shock of his sudden return had caused them to topple the sofa over onto themselves.

Obi-Wan had ended up in the infirmary, of course. He'd heard more upholstery-related jokes that day then he'd ever imagined was possible.

"I take it from the weighty silence that means it did not go well?" Qui-Gon turned round. "I did warn you."

"Master," Obi-Wan's face took on an expression that he had never seen before, as if he'd been completely stunned or left reeling by some invisible blow, "If you had only been there?"

"What?" Qui-Gon felt the uneasiness return. "What do you mean? What happened?"

Obi-Wan wanted to swallow back his hurt but it pained him to do so. It hurt him to breathe too.
  23. Kynstar Jedi Knight

star 5
    Ack! Bloody hell! I do hope Jinn follows the ba...*ahem* the man back to her place... Not gonna be a good showdown *shakes head* noppers not gonna be good too. He'll prob go to far and she'll shoot him! Well guess what? I ain't gonna mind it a bit if she does! hehehe go for it! ;) Self defense! You got the bruises to prove it! And witnesses to the fact that he argues extremely loud!

Great post!! Totally suspensful!
  24. Healer_Leona Squirrely Community Mod

Manager
    star 9
    Sorry for getting so far behind. I have been reading, but neglecting to reply.. life.. and other things been heavy.

That last post was a definetly a fave. Love how real Qui-Gon gets with Linus, but it's really rather scary how unafraid that scumbag is and poor Jemmiah when he sees her next.
  25. Jemmiah Jedi Master

star 5
    Post co-written with Mouse :)

Out on the street it was dark and overcast, even though it was relatively early in the morning. Linus looked thunderously up into the sky, blinking away the heavy rain that had beset the planet for almost a week now. Coruscant's weather was supposed to be controlled but controlled by whom or what, Linus wondered as he glowered up to the heavens. He reckoned that someone was having a big joke at his expense. Ever since he'd arrived on Coruscant it had done nothing but rain. He was beginning to wonder if he didn't have his own personal cloud waiting on him whenever he came out of a building.

He pulled his collar upright and hurried towards the benches just alongside the magnificent series of marble fountains, which marked out the length of the plaza. Not surprisingly there were few people sitting out in this weather but that was exactly what Linus had wanted.

He tried to huddle into his coat and shielded his face from the worst of the weather, pulling out the communicator that nestled safely in his pocket. All the time as he waited for his contact to speak the rain just beat down harder and harder and harder?

"Hello?" Leaford scrunched his face up as he tried to concentrate on the voice. "Yeah. Taken me a bit of time to set it all up. But things seem to be going to plan. How about you?"

Leaford nodded as he listened to the muffled reply.

"The weather's atrocious here. It's making things a bit difficult to hear?hold on." He turned round to face the other way. "That's a little better, now what did you say? I thought after the race. I can take her out for a meal, either to celebrate or commiserate. That would make for a good opportunity. What do you think of the other acquisitions?"

A grin spread across his face.

"I bet they screamed!" he chuckled. "Still, all in the name of entertainment?yeah, I am enjoying this assignment. Can you tell? This one's been a particular favorite. And I might be able to throw in someone else by way of an extra bonus. Yeah, course you'll like her."

A small boy of about six approached him slowly, wondering why this strange, wild looking man was siting in the rain speaking into his hand. Linus saw him and growled.

"Get lost!" he warned.

The child jumped back a few steps but remained not far from where Linus was seated.

"Huh? No, no. Not you. Some brat's hanging about making himself a nuisance. Yeah, I'd love to just spill his miserable guts across the ground but I haven't exactly been careful these last few days?don't want anything to get pinned on me."

Linus huffed as the biting tones replied to his statement.

"I tried! I can't help it. I've brought you in twelve in the last month. Just have a little patience. I have to wait for the right moment. And in the meantime I'm gonna have myself a little fun. Oh, I've been watching this one for a long time now, just as you said. Then her friend introduced me! I couldn't believe my luck?well, I've got to have something for all my trouble, haven't I?"

He eyed the kid venomously.

"I said clear off!" he yelled, aiming a kick in the boy's direction.

"Yes, well. My reputation obviously preceded me." Linus returned his thoughts to his contact. "You picked the right man for the job. I'll be almost sorry to let her go. I've got rather fond of her?yeah, yeah. I know. I can do what I want as long as HE doesn't get her."

Linus let his brows knit together.

"D'you know how long I've been watching her? Four months, on and off. Ever since she hooked up with that idiotic Chancellor. She didn't waste any time ditching him, did she? He obviously can't stand the pace anymore." He barked out his laughter. "I'm still worried though. Papa jedi just warned me off. Think he suspects something?no, she's not back at the temple. Should make it easier."

"Sir?" lisped the little boy, his wet hair plastered to his head.

"Don't you have a mamma looking for you?" Linus snapped. "Go find her, or the next time she sees you she'll be identifying you by your teeth!"
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.