Someone To Watch Over Me (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Jemmiah, Nov 27, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Men in kilts and a strong breeze.

So tell us, Jemmy dear, what is St. Andrews Day??
  2. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

Jem's probably gone to bed (it's late over here!) so I'll do the honours.

St Andrew is the Patron Saint of Scotland, just like St Patrick is to Ireland. I know the latter is celebrated in some parts of the USA, so it's the same sort of thing.

It's basically now turned into a celebration of all things Scottish, usually involving lots of dancing (Ceilidh) with kilts, drink, singing and feeling very patriotic. A good excuse for a party! Not that us Scots need one!
  3. Jedi Kylenn Jedi Master

star 4
    Happy St. Andrew's Day!

This is old news to Jem, but I also find guys in kilts *incredibly* sexy!! (It's events like this when I wish my dad's ancestors didn't leave the "Old Country.")

Hey girls, perhaps we should start our own men-in-kilts estrogen brigade...

4. Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Master

star 4
    Happy St. Andrew's Day!! Me and Mouse are American by birth, but Scotts by blood (though a bit removed by time). (Our ancestor's clan name still appears on some maps despite the passage of time *grin*).

*Gryph re-reads some of the earlier posts about kilts and runs for cover in a blind panic.*

I can just hear it now..."Hey Gryph!! Are those your legs or are you riding a bantha?!?!"

AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
  5. Jedi Kylenn Jedi Master

star 4
    Gryph - same here (kinda.) I'm a typical American "Euro-mutt" but a large part of my ancestry is Scottish. (Some of the folks a few generations back used to hang out with the MacLaren clan.)

6. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, as far as I'm concerned everyone can be a Scot for the day! Any excuse for a party :)

Rela walked swiftly down the street without trying to give the impression of haste, trying to look confident without appearing like she cared what other people thought. Not that she did, really. At first glance the thing that struck you initially about Rela Quinn was her lack of height, and thereafter her red curls, neatly tied back from her face yet always like a dam threatening to spill over with water. The brisk, feisty strides that she took more than matched her streetwise attitude and woe betide anyone else who tried to get in her way as she headed off to her workplace.

She was a careful person without being overly cautious. Perhaps that was why Mrs Krabople's warnings of strange goings on in the nearby streets of Coruscant still wrung in her ears as she continued to march with determination past the alleyways and dingy streets. Stick to the main roads and you were fine. There were too many people about for anything untoward to happen even in the murk of an early morning beset with heavy rain. But always behind the well kept streets and brightly lit façade lurked a hidden something?a something that Rela did not want to get acquainted with again. A roughness, a seediness. An uncomfortable and oppressing world of crime and squalor.

And danger.

The thought made her shiver inspite of herself and Rela sternly rebuked her mind for letting itself wander without permission. Coruscant never slept. There were always people about on the streets, getting on with their own busy lives, it was just that Mrs. K's instruction to be extra vigilant was now leading Rela to imagine all manner of things.

Like she was being watched.

"Get a grip, Rela girl!" she scolded herself. "There's nobody watching you. Keep your head up and show you don't give a damn."

Rela forced herself to NOT look round, however her skin was beginning to crawl. She was beginning to feel more edgy than she would care to admit. Damn Mrs. K! How could she throw that at her just as she was setting out for work? And more to the point how could she even try to set her up with Brak, even though she knew only too well that she was already seeing -

Was that footsteps she could hear behind her?

Rela sped up through a mixture of annoyance and anxiety. No way was she letting anyone follow her.

The footsteps WERE there, not the imagined phantoms she had hoped they would be. She strained her ears and listened to the boots as they thumped against the permacrete, evidently speeding up as they sought to keep up with her. That was all the incentive that Rela needed.

She waited until she had drawn level with the mouth of the nearest alley and dived swiftly in, abandoning her theory of being safe on the main streets in favor of a little subterfuge. The dank smell drifting from further beyond her hiding place was not a pleasant one, reminding the red head of precisely why she didn't want to be there in the first place?

Holding her breath, Rela waited, listening as the booted feet stopped abruptly in the alleyway.

"Where the heck has she gone?" a familiar voice grumbled.

Rela sighed outloud and sagged against the wall in relief, trying to regain her composure before replying indignantly:

"Jemmy! You idiot! You nearly scared the life out of me!"

Jemmiah peered into the gloom, puzzled.

"Rel? Whatcha doin' in there?" the Corellian wondered.
    "Hide and seek. What do you think." Rela grunted, only too glad to return to the main street again. "What are you doing up at this time?"

Jemmy walked stiffly, if not a little painfully, beside her smaller friend. The normal fluent, loping gait seemed to have been altered to that of someone nearly four times her age.

"Or do I not want to know?" Rela added with an arch of the eyebrow that was not lost on Jemmiah at all.
    "Nothing like that." Jemmy muttered. "Sith, I hurt everywhere."
    "What's wrong?" Rela let the smooth skin on her forehead crease in a frown. "You OK?"
    "Not really." Jem
  7. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    That's the Rela I know. Trust your instincts and remember that training. (Sorry couldn't resist a plug for my upcoming Rela story.) Too bad you can't control your temper!

Now go find Jemmy and get busy getting her back with Obi!
  8. Calamity Jinn Jedi Master

star 4

"... red curls, neatly tied back from her face yet always like a dam threatening to spill over with water."

Lovely description. For a moment I thought there would be a fist fight. I couldn't quite work out who I thought would win...
  9. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    <<even though she knew only too well that she was already seeing ->>

That was so not nice! You know very well I want to know who she's seeing. But Rela did come to Simeon's defense awfully quick...but knowing you Jemmy, that's only another red herring.

Lovely post though.
  10. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Great post! I enjoyed that whole bit with Jemmy and Rela!
  11. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hmmm, rumours of missing girls, Rela's sense of danger, is Rela going to make it to apologise to Jemmiah, or is something Very Bad about to happen?
  12. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jemmiah slowly began to peel away her racing gear, trying as best she cold to ignore the bruising she knew would already be visible on her skin. Sure enough, all the way down from her left shoulder and running along her side to below her knee spread a mixture of dark, mottled skin and splashes of angry purple-red. Rela's words of chastisement still plagued her as she pulled on her bathrobe, tying it loosely at the side so that it wouldn't chafe against her abused flesh.

What had she said that was so wrong?

Jemmy couldn't understand what had caused such a vehement reaction in Rela. It wasn't as if she were obliged to follow her every command and instruction. //Sith, Rela. You're not my mother!// Yet to fall out with one of her few remaining friends left a very bad taste in the Corellian's mouth and the headache that pressed down on her skull she attributed in no small way to her fight with the argumentative and fiery Rela Quinn.

"Just once - Just ONCE, you hear me - I'd like something to go right for me." Jemmy muttered as she limped stiffly into the kitchen in search of a tumbler for her headache pills. "Is that such a terrible thing to ask? Why does nothing ever turn out well for me?"

//Because you won't let it.// her inner voice replied.

Her inner voice. She'd been trying to ignore that more and more in the last few months but to no avail. It always told her little truths about herself that she didn't want to hear and Jemmiah wished with all her heart that it would just abandon her, just as she'd turned her back on everyone else she cared for. It had been a sad but necessary choice to leave her friends behind. She couldn't really justify putting them in the awkward role of sitting on the fence and mediating between two very angry and hurt young people.

And she didn't want to hurt anyone else ever again.

//YOU hurt him. YOU did that. Proud of yourself?// retorted her inner voice once more.

"Shut up." Jemmiah grumbled.

In four days time she would be competing for the richest prize Coruscant had seen for a humble swoop race. The money the winner would receive was an extraordinary amount. All she had to do was complete the course in the fastest time and make sure she turned up on the day healthy, well and in one piece.

Jemmy looked at the bruises on her hip and thigh once more.

Fat chance of being healthy and well?

"Why did you have to be right, Rela?" hissed Jemmy, a hand held to her head. She knew her only chance of being passed fit to race was to get those bruises seen to as soon as possible, and that meant going to the temple infirmary. Which also meant An-Paj or Leona asking all sorts of questions, and a probable dousing in sticky Bacta bandages - and no doubt a visit from Master Jinn lecturing her on the dangers of travelling at high speed?

//OK. So what if Rela's right? Big deal. I'm still suspicious. She might genuinely worried about me - and I should be grateful - but there's a part of me that feels she's trying to find ways of getting me back with Ben again. And I can't allow that. I can't?//

"For once, inner voice, I have to agree with you." Jemmiah closed her eyes, willing the headache away. "She means well but it's over?finished."

//Who are you trying to convince?//

"How many times do I have to tell you to butt out of my mind? This is a private conversation."
    //Do you know how stupid you sound, talking to yourself like this?//

"Who's gonna see me, huh?" Jemmy sighed, eyes alighting on the swoop helmet with the darkened visor that sat upon the seat of her sofa. Lilith had bought it for her eighteenth birthday. By this point, Qui-Gon already knew about her frequent trips to the track. Sith, she remembered the traded insults and heated tongue lashing that had taken place when he'd confronted Lilith about it all. But in the end he knew there was absolutely nothing he could do to stop her.

//Yeah, if I've hurt Ben then I've disappointed Master Jinn// she grimaced. //Seems to be a special habit I have for kicking people in the teeth.//

Her head continued to t
  13. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Awesome Jemmy.

Jemmiah certainly seems to have a few problems...most of all the way she sees herself. She may seem confident on the outside but...I just feel so very sad for her. At least she's got Rela.

Ok for some reason that post got me thinking about her father...Qui-Gon's begging her not to marry Obi...remembering that her father was away most of the time...tall...well you can imagine where my thoughts went from there. Then I remembered the kiss bewteen Qui and Jemmy on the cantina crawl and I literally shivered with repulsion...lol
  14. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, great post. Now I understand why Jemmy turned him down. Poor everyone! Thanks for the post!
  15. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    LOL Leona! But I think that cantina kiss had everyone except for me shivering with revulsion!
  16. HaiGan Jedi Master

star 4
    I finally make it back online as the other half relinquishes the PC ('had to catch up on all my email games', yeahyeah...), and I find this gem waiting for me, yay!

Onwards and upwards!

17. Jane Jinn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Another excellent post--funny and touching and very insightful. I feel for Jemmiah, I really do. Now what's going to happen next? Is there going to be a disastrous meeting between her and Obi-Wan in the infirmary? Or will Jemmiah or Rela--or both--get kidnapped by this Stalker? Can't wait for more!
  18. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    Most excellent Jemmy! I guess not even Jemmy can say no to Rela. Even if she did Rela wouldn't hear it!

Oooo! The creepy creep is still watching! That just gives me chills thinking about it!
  19. Hunter Of Winds Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I enjoyed reading what you wrote. Bravo!
  20. Jemmiah Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    OK. This post was an enjoyable collaboration between Mouse and myself. Enjoy!

"Obi-Wan."

No answer.

"Padawan, I really think we should discuss this further." Qui-Gon said quietly.
    "I've made such a fool of myself, haven't I?" Obi-Wan mumbled into the cup of hot chocolate he held tightly in his grasp, not caring particularly if he did hurt his hands. Feeling physical pain would take his mind off the mixture of embarrassment and heavy heartedness that he felt right now.

Had felt, for the past two months.

"In what way?" Qui-Gon asked, sitting alongside the miserable apprentice on the couch in their living quarters. Obi-Wan stared briefly into his cup, remembering that hot chocolate had always been HER favorite drink, torn between placing the drink on the table and pushing it aside or hug it even tighter in his hands.

"I shouldn't have told you." Obi-Wan said honestly, regarding Qui-Gon in an open and frank manner. "You're going to spend the rest of your days thinking what an idiot you have been saddled with for a padawan."
    "Is that really what you think?" Qui-Gon asked. "Or are you feeling sorry for yourself?"
    "I don't know." Obi-Wan considered. "Both perhaps. I'm beginning to wonder if I like tormenting myself. I have to get on and put it behind me. That much I know. It's just that I haven't managed it at all well. Infact if anything it's got worse."

Qui-Gon looked at the young man sadly.

"I know what it's like padawan. I've been there."
    "I'm still an idiot. Why should I think she'd want to marry me?"
    "For what it's worth I think the issue is not about you, I think it's to do with what's going on inside Jemmiah's head."

Obi-Wan snorted, refraining from making the obvious remark.

"Why don't you talk to her?"
    "I can't." Obi-Wan said definitely. "It's still too painful."
    "Rejection is never pleasant, no matter when it happens." Qui-Gon smiled thinly. "I would tell you about the time Sal-Fina and I got engaged but I think it would just make you cry into your cocoa."

Kenobi blinked.

"You and?Sal-Fina?" he said in disbelief.
    "It was a non-event. We got engaged in the morning and by the evening it was broken off." Jinn sighed.
    "We are talking about the engagement here." Obi-Wan snickered.
    "Padawan!" Qui-Gon rebuked, although he was pleased to see the young man with some life to him at last.
    "Well, at least you got engaged. I didn't even get as far as that."
    "You miss her." Qui-Gon stated.

Obi-Wan half shrugged as if ashamed.

"I feel so foolish." He confessed. "When I was asleep last night I thought she was there with me. And when I realized she wasn't I felt so?"
    "What?"
    "Alone." Obi-Wan replied. "I felt alone. I've got used to her being there. I've got used to her teasing and her occasional temper tantrums. I've got used to her terrible pinching fingers?"
    "I'm not sure I want to hear this part." Qui-Gon interjected.
    "And I've become used to helping her cope with her nightmares. I find myself wondering how she's coping on her own, and then I get angry at myself for caring."

Qui-Gon drummed his fingers on the side of his cup.

"Padawan, it seems to me that however bad you think your relationship with Jemmiah my have sunk on past occasions, you always found a way of sorting things out. You had much more honesty between the pair of you than I ever had with Sal-Fina. You have to decide what you want and then you have to decide how you're going to achieve it." He placed a large hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder. "Maybe you should go and have a think about that."

Obi-Wan nodded, standing up with his hands still round the mug.

"Thanks." He smiled slightly at his master before retreating to his room. "I will."

"I'm telling you, someone's been watching us." Rela hissed as they finally made the sanctuary of the infirmary. Dimallie looked at them in surprise, and nearly walked into a door.

//Nothing's changed that much in two months// Jemmy grimaced.

"You have got the biggest imagination I have ever come acro
  21. mouse2 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm sorry, but I loose it everytime I read Rela going through those data chips. I'm sad to say that I've been that bored before.

I love it!
  22. jodiwent Force Ghost

star 4
    Just wanted to delurk and say awsum story.
  23. Healer_Leona Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I really needed a good chuckle today...very bad day...

Those data chips Rela read through are too right on...never a People or Entertainment Weekly among them..LOL

Oh, and btw I think I've finely figured out Jemmiah's place in the grand scheme of things.

Lovely post ladies, thanks so much.
  24. Jedi Gryph Grin Jedi Master

star 4
    That was great, and I loved Rela's search throught the chips! Especially the one she made up!!! *grin*

I'm so glad ya'll started this story. :)
  25. imzadi Jedi Master

star 4
    That was fantastic! You guys have a knack for humour, not to mention angst :( I really liked how An-Paj was 'loitering' *g*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.