main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something funny I noticed about TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NorCalBirdz, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    In TPM I don't believe the word "lightsaber" is ever used. Someone watching the saga chronlogically for the first time might very well believe coming out of TPM that a lightsaber is called a "laser sword"

2. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    I ain't? woah!

3. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    I always thought it'd be funny if all through the PT everyone called them laser swords except Obi-Wan, who thinks it sounds stupid. Then in ANH he tells Luke, "This is your father's LIGHT SABER."

4. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I always thought it'd be funny if all through the PT everyone called them laser swords except Obi-Wan, who thinks it sounds stupid. Then in ANH he tells Luke, "This is your father's LIGHT SABER."

[face_laugh]

Come to think of it, is it said in AOTC? I think it might be when Obi-Wan is lecturing Anakin about not losing his, but I'm not sure.

5. Obladi_Oblada

Obladi_Oblada Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2005
    I'm pretty sure the first mention is when Anakin says that aggressive negotiations are negotiations with a lightsaber. Obi-Wan just says, "Try not to lose it. This weapon is your life." Or something.

6. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the first mention is when Anakin says that aggressive negotiations are negotiations with a light saber. Obi-Wan just says, "Try not to lose it. This weapon is your life." Or something.

You're right. Anakin is the only person to say "lightsaber" in AotC. Kinda funny since he said "laser sword" in TPM.

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Actually, Count Dooku says it, as well:

DOOKU: It is obvious this contest will not be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with a lightsaber.

*insert kick ass battle scene*

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, there are a lot of things we ingrained SW fans take for granted. Like all of us knowing what Ewoks are because of the cartoon instead of it ever being mentioned in RotJ :p One kind of wonders if the next generation of movie-viewers will know what the heck half of these things are called.

Some other firsts (I believe) if the PT films are watched I-III. The first time we...

*hear Qui-Gon's name: when he introduces himself to Shmi on Tatooine ("I'm Qui-Gon Jinn")
    *hear Anakin's last name: when he's announced at the podrace ("Anakin Skywalker, a local boy")
    *hear Obi-Wan's last name: on the ship on Tatooine ("Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi")
    *hear Yoda addressed by his name (so we know *he* is Yoda): end of TPM ("Master Yoda, I gave Qui-Gon my word.")
    *hear Mace Windu's name: never (?)

I'm sure there are other ones. Can anyone think of some?

I find it especially odd that no one will know Qui-Gon's name until almost halfway through the movie unless someone tells them. They'll probably think his name is "Master" ;)

-sj loves kevin spacey

9. chopman

chopman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2005
    ^Haha good point. As for Mace, I'm pretty sure I remeber someone saying "Master Windu" in AOTC.

10. Blaine_The_Mono

Blaine_The_Mono Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Dooku says Master Windu I think, and Anakin. But the actual words 'Mace Windu' are never mentioned! It's the same with Palpatine in Return of the Jedi I think.

11. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I dont know about some of those, Anakins second line is "I'm a person and my name is Anakin" and Shmi refers to him as it many times. Obi Wan and Qui Gon propably use eachothers names earlier. Master Yoda is mentioned by Obi Wan in the first scene.

12. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

I always thought it'd be funny if all through the PT everyone called them laser swords except Obi-Wan, who thinks it sounds stupid. Then in ANH he tells Luke, "This is your father's LIGHT SABER." [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

13. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Odd, I had never noticed all those things. It always was something like "Oh here goes Qui-Gon ingiting his lightsaber" and stuff. Damn.

14. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Well... at least they'll know that Tatooine is called Tatooine in ANH.

15. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    solojones brings up a good point about the names. Has anyone ever noticed how bad Lucas can be at introducing names into the PT movies, especially if they're second ring? Half of the characters we don't even know until about halfway through. Shmi isn't known until AOTC. Mace Windu's name hasn't been said in full yet. Qui Gon doesn't get said until Tatooine. Most of the other Jedi are fairly nameless. I just find it to be an amusing oversight.

16. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    That's true. [EDITED, already been clearly stated by solo... mesa make mistake...]

17. Lord_Morningstar

Lord_Morningstar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2005
    Lucas can make a bit of a habit of not naming characters or places. For example, Boba Fett isn?t mentioned in ESB, and we never hear the name Palpatine in the OT anywhere. Even relatively main characters like Qui-Gon or Mace Windu are often mentioned cursorily or at all.

Still, the alternative, where the script goes to ridiculous lengths to name everyone and everything can be a bit annoying.

?Come, Obi-Wan Kenobi, let?s go to Theed, the capital of Naboo, Governed by Sio Bibble but now under the control of Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray, to try and save the Queen?
    ?Sounds good master Qui-Gon Jinn with a green lightsaber.?

18. ShiriKeiCelisoe

ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 8, 2002
    Chaotic_Serenity, you're right. I forgot all about Dooku saying it. Looks like I haven't watched AotC in a while.

19. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    I never realized that Star Noobs won't know jabba is a Hutt until ESB when Han mentions who he owes money to. All they know is that the fat slug from that podrace or his son has a bounty on Han's head. [Obi-wan voice]Very intersting...[Obi-wan voice]

20. Matt-trooper

Matt-trooper Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 19, 2005
    '?Come, Obi-Wan Kenobi, let?s go to Theed, the capital of Naboo, Governed by Sio Bibble but now under the control of Trade Federation Viceroy Nute Gunray, to try and save the Queen?
    ?Sounds good master Qui-Gon Jinn with a green lightsaber.'

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

21. sidious_onset

sidious_onset Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2003
    It's kinda funny how you hear the name Darth Maul before Qui Gonn Jinn, I guess.

22. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I never realized that Star Noobs won't know jabba is a Hutt until ESB when Han mentions who he owes money to. All they know is that the fat slug from that podrace or his son has a bounty on Han's head. [Obi-wan voice]Very intersting...[Obi-wan voice]

The announcer calls him "Jabba the Hutt" in TPM, so they'll know he's a hutt.

- O_F

23. FloridaFilmGuy

FloridaFilmGuy Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 1, 2000
    What do you mean not knowing what ewoks were, until the cartoon? I saw ROTJ in 83, and I knew what and Ewok was.... my favorite Christmas gift that year was Ewok Village!!!

Then Kenner repakaged it a few years later as the Kevin Coster Robin Hood Village or something........ but we knew back then what an Ewok was... backwards for Wookie, the original plan.....

24. Deeysew

Mar 5, 2005
    "O grandio lust, Jabba Du Hutt, amu intoe tah parena"

Ooops, Obi, you're right. He's called a hutt. I missunderstood that announcer guy's alien language.

25. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    Wow your right. They never once mention Lightsaber...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.