main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

something i always wondered about c3po and Rd-D2

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by keith_ireland, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004
    Vader does grab Boba Fetts arm when he fires at Chewbacca in the carbonite chamber and a rumor of Vader being the creator of Threepio has been floating around since the mid-80's,so its one of those things where you might have to theorize, and why wouldnt any fan want to believe that such a simple but confusing action like sparing the life of a wookie with a protocol droid tied to his back could be an ingenious little tye-in to a saga that spans over 40 years.

2. Hashbrowns

Hashbrowns Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2004
    I believe that Obi-Wan did in fact recognize R2. In episode IV when Luke tells Ben that R2 claims to be the property of an Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ben gives the droid a look, and eventually states that he never remembers owning a droid. He says this in an interesting tone, as though hiding something. I believe he considered it best that he keep his prior association with the droid secret from Luke. This would be in line with not telling him who his father really was. But this is just from my certain point of view.

3. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    I agree Hashbrowns - even some of my non-hardcore friends have stated that there is a vagueness in the first scene with Obi-Wan and the droids.

4. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    Obi Wan, ANH- "I don't recall ever owning a droid."

Anakin, AOTC- "Possessions are forbidden..."

5. Kyle-Katarn_wannabe

Kyle-Katarn_wannabe Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2004
    Anakins building of C-3po bothers me for a few reasons:
    1. how did anakin give him 6 million languages.
    2. 3po is a protocal droid (translator), but anakin claims he built him to help his mother. why would his mother need a droid that speaks 6000000 languages, an R2 unit would be much more useful.
    3. Its possible to say that anakin didn't build him, he just found an old protocal droid and put him back together, but anakin couldn't claim that he built it.

6. Scott3eyez

Scott3eyez Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2001
    >>>>1. how did anakin give him 6 million languages.

I think it's safe to say that Anakin didn't design and build C3P0 from scratch- he put him together from parts lying around Watto's shop.

I mean, for example, you wouldn't have to know C, HTML, Java etc. etc. to put together a computer that would understand those languages.

>>>>2. 3po is a protocal droid (translator), but anakin claims he built him to help his mother. why would his mother need a droid that speaks 6000000 languages, an R2 unit would be much more useful.

For starters, C3P0 is a humanoid droid, which would make him useful for doing the jobs his mother would normally do. Also, as Watto sells machine parts, it stands to reason that Shmi's work would involve working with these machines, so a protocol droid would be very useful to help Shmi communicate with the machines (how much use would R2 be without C3P0 to translate?)

>>>>3. Its possible to say that anakin didn't build him, he just found an old protocal droid and put him back together, but anakin couldn't claim that he built it.

Sure he could. I mean, if you put together the parts of a car, motorcycle or computer, nobody would claim that you didn't build it. It fit's in with my dictionaries definition of "build", anyway.

7. severian28

Apr 1, 2004
    After seeing TPM i gained a new respect for C3PO, droids in general, and of course GL. He has a real love affair for the droids in his world and that " brain" spinning around in C3PO hints at something magical, to me anyway. That adds something of a unique dimension to the character of Anakin.I firmly believe that Anakin creates the Vader apparatus, not put into it, which would starkly contrast something helpful and benevolent like 3PO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.