main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Something I Can't Finish - L/M (Romance, Angst) - COMPLETE - Nominated Winter 2005 Reader's Choice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosh_Penin

Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    Hmph. I always miss updates over the weekend. That said,

YOU DO THIS TO ME ON A MONDAY?!?!

I was afraid for them both when I saw Chapter 16; I figured things had to be close now. Chpater 17 was just so sad, that I guess it's time to break out the smiley I retired after Chapter 5 or so: :(

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I've got to go out of town and you post this NOW?????? [face_frustrated]

I don't think I'm speaking to you. Er...typing to you. You know what I mean! :mad:

Fix it, fix it now! [face_shame_on_you]

3. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Sorry I missed two posts, RL has been driving me insane.

And about the last two parts I only have to say this:
    :_| :_| :_|

P.S. Loved the Angel of Iego puzzle reference...that was perfect. Anxiously awaiting the next post. Great job RedGold.

4. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    *sobs* *hiccups* Th... that's s... s... so beaut...tiful!!!! *tries not to bawl*

She sipped at the hot liquid and sensed out towards her brother. There was a calmness about him that radiated an uneasy peace. This was a far cry better than the unbridled fury that had permeated his Force signature when she had come to the hospital after Han?s call... There were few times when she actually feared her brother slipping, and this had been one of them.

Whoo.... I'm getting the "Luke falling into an uncontrollable fit of rage" shivers! [face_love]

?Better,? Leia finally replied to her husband. ?I don?t know what Mara wrote to him, but every time he reads that datapad he feels a bit more like himself.?

*sigh* [face_happy/sad_smile]

Apparently Luke?s first fit of anger was felt all the way on Yavin 4 by his senior Jedi, the ones he was closest too. When they couldn?t reach Luke directly, they contacted Leia. Immediately Cilghal was called and the Calamarian admitted her knowledge of Mara?s condition, but was still unable to find a cure.

Ohh! Shivers! Shivers! Mua-ha-haa! [face_devil]

?She left Mirax her sleeve blaster,? Corran said quietly, to no one in particular.

*finally loses the bawling battle* WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! :_|

What had surprised him was apparently a later change in the testament that included a clause giving him all of her puzzles she had collected over the years, which was an astounding number now that they were counted... He?d donate it all to the Jedi, the ship, the money, the puzzles, save one... The glass Angel of Iego he would keep... Mara, his angel.

*breaks out new box of tissue* And Luke's Angel of... wherever... didn't turn into a horrendous pickup line! [face_mischief]

Now, I know you, Luke, you?re going to somehow try to make this your fault or something stupid like that. None of this is your fault, you couldn?t have done anything differently to save me, it was fate, destiny, the Force, whatever, so don?t even think about going all depressive on me. I swear, if I see you doing that I will come back and haunt you and not in a good way.

Perfect. There are no other words. Just... perfect. Mara's voice coming right out of the datapad. I was laughing and crying all at the same time! ^_^

P.S. I would have said yes.

See above comment. After all, Mara couldn't leave without a parting shot, now could she? ;) Always has to get the last word in, even in her own letter. [face_whistling]

He still held her hand when six hours later, she stopped breathing.

*ragged, sobbing breath*

That was so beautiful, RedGold. @};-

*evil devil demon hope digs its nails deeper into Jaded_Girl's leg, whispering how the post didn't EXPLICITLY STATE that Mara has died... only stopped breathing*

ARGH! STOP TORTURING ME YOU EVIL HOPE!

RedGold, please! Please hurry with the funeral or epilogue so this stubborn hope will finally die! *sobs disconsolately*

Up up up up up!

5. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    These chapters have been painful! :_|

Poor Mara. Poor Luke. Poor Me. Poor Us.

Great writing, however--love all the tension!

6. JayaMioneDurron

JayaMioneDurron Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    oh that was so sweet.

please dont leave it there i can't bare to have everythin left on such a sad note!!!!

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I just read: "*evil devil demon hope digs its nails deeper into Jaded_Girl's leg, whispering how the post didn't EXPLICITLY STATE that Mara has died... only stopped breathing*"
    Wow! That's a great point. Now the "hope" has latched onto me. o_O

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Popping in to see if you've gotten to the part......nope, not yet. @};-

Evil cliffie, RG. [face_mischief] Eeeeeeevil!

;)

9. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    KS - Aw? how? how? perfectly heartbreaking. *cries*
    Um.. more tissues? *hands over tissues*

Jadie - Red, you'd better do something about this soon.
    You mean like kill her off completely? [face_devil]

Golden Jedi -Damn! Damndamndamndamndamdamdamndamndam!
    Yeah, that about sums it up. ;)

Jade eyes -Oh, supersized, dinosaur sized crap! Not like Barney, either, but the kind that chase you through Jurassic Park!
    That movie scared me... [face_worried]

As for the fact of him finding someone else to love, I swear on a billion Bibles--I won't like whoever it is.
    Aw, come on... :(

Wow! That's a great point. Now the "hope" has latched onto me.
    Might want to see a doctor about that...

cheersweetie27 - No! You weren't supposed to actually kill her! Where is our happy ending?!
    I don't know, where did you leave it? [face_mischief]

Valin - Typical Mara...
    Glad you think so!

Courtney -I SWEAR if you kill Mara.... *leaves threat unfinished cuz she has to cry*

Oh, it's an unfinished threat... takes a load off my mind!

Mirax Corran - That line was so sad! That was the moment when it really hits you that she's actually dying.
    I was hoping to make a powerful moment there, and I'm very happy you think it was too!

NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO! You don't kill Mara! That's in the Official Book of Star Wars Fan Fiction Rules! It's right under 'You don't kill Han!'
    Oh? I don't have a copy of that... [face_whistling]

*runs away to cry*
    Come back??

tasujad -you can't kill MARA just like yhat after it was going so nicely ?????????
    I can't? :confused:

this is not the way to write fanfiction i belive i'm not the only one who demands HAPPY ENDING
    Tsk tsk... pesky readers... ggrrr

Daughterofflame - I don't like you. I really, REALLY don't like you. What gives you the right to write so many pages of lovey mush, and then kill her??
    *hands out card that says "Evil Writers Guild" on it*

Evil. That's what you are, evil.
    See. :D

*wails* This isn't fair! He's supposed to be able to heal her! They're supposed to get married, and have lots of little kids!
    Who says??? :(

But maybe that's what makes this one so good... *munches on lip slowly* Now I'm going to have to go think about this. *sigh*
    It's definetly one to think over... :)

AvenKiel - beautifully done!
    Thanks! :)

jacen200015 -I know what's going to happen *Hands out tissues*
    Oh, that's evil... I like [face_devil]

DaenaBenjen42 - That was so heartbreaking.
    Sorry about that! Tissue?

Now that's ironic, isn't it? Loved it.
    Glad to hear it!!

MirandaFair - It gets me all the time!
    That's the best part about it then! :)

Ariapaige - nononononononono! Mara can't die. can't. can't. not now.... not ever
    Everyone must die eventually... well, except for Scully but that is a WHOLE other story...

RedGold, do you hate me?
    Possibly. [face_whistling]

JadeLotus - Heartbreaking.
    Yeah, sorry about that. Tissue?

Neo Paladin - I found the part about the ring particularly touching.
    Thank you! :)

Now I suppose we find out what, There is no death, there is the Force means.
    Depends on how philosophical I was feeling at the time.. [face_whistling]

jade51999 - lovely job (again)
    Thanks!

Maul Brady - Oh no no no, this will not end like so. You bring her back.... Or um... or well, I will be very sad!
    I apologize then... I'm sorry.

DreamingIce -Beautiful Work!! ...but I have to go cry now.
    Let's okay, let it out...

The part where Corran says that she left Mirax her sleeve blaster and Luke putting the ring on Mara's finger were the most powerful...
    Thank you!

Self-inflicted, I know, but it's still sad!
    That is the beauty

10. Killik_Swarm

Killik_Swarm Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 13, 2005
    *ups*

Hey, this deserves it. I really want to see a new post! *hopes*

KT

11. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Tissues?

Chapter 18

It?s a strange sensation, to be comatose. You hear everything, even feel everything, but no matter how hard you try, how much you wish it, you can?t move or speak.

She felt Luke nuzzle her hand, whispering his love for her and how he would not give up. Her heart soared and now she could die peacefully knowing that he would not be totally broken by their experiences.

It?s a stranger sensation still, to be standing staring down at your own body.

So, this is what it?s like to be dead?

?Actually, you?re not dead just yet.?

Mara turned and was immediately blinded by a wall of white light that encompassed the far end of the room. A figure not much taller than herself stood shadowed, ethereal.

?Who are you?? she asked, hope and fear in her heart.

No one really knew what happened when you died, though everyone had their theories. Some believed that nothing happened, others believed in heavens and hells. Others wondered if you would meet those who had passed before, such as parents.

?No, I?m not your father,? the figure replied to her thoughts as he stepped forward, ?but your parents are waiting for you, just beyond.?

A lump caught in Mara?s throat as she thought of her parents, always wanting to know who they were, what had happened when she was a child. Would they love her?

?They do love you, Mara, they didn?t want to let you go,? the figure came up beside her and she thought there was something familiar about him. ?They are proud of you, but very disappointed.?

?Disappointed?? Mara finally took a good look at the man, something about his eyes called to her.

?You survived Palpatine, not many did, but then you seemed to have given up on life and missed out on so much that should have been.?

She wanted to deny his words, but knew she couldn?t. So many years were lost pushing Luke away when she could have been with him.

Staring back down at her body she asked, ?What do you mean, I?m not dead yet??

?Well, your lungs have stopped, and any second now your heart will. Your brain activity will still register for a few more minutes though, and it?s not until the mind dies that you?re completely gone.?

?And then?? she looked back up at him.

He glanced over his shoulder to the wall of white, ?You can go right now if you wish, but once you?re completely dead the white will engulf you and send you to the beyond.?

?What lies there??

?You?ll see.?

?Unfortunately,? she mumbled, glancing at the figure of Luke who was now standing over her, running his hand through her hair, tears glistening in his eyes. ?I didn?t mean to hurt him.?

?I know,? the man placed his hand on her shoulder. ?I wouldn?t have been so nice if I thought otherwise.?

?I almost didn?t recognize you.?

?I?m not surprised,? his hand slipped from her.

?If you?re not here to punish or yell at me,? she tilted her head to the side, ?then why did you come to fetch me??

?When did I ever have to explain my actions to you, Emperor?s Hand??

?That name no longer holds any meaning for me,? she snapped.

?As does Lord Vader to me,? Anakin Skywalker regarded her with a disinterested shrug. ?I came here because my son just lost his soul mate.?

?His what??

?Basic laws of physics, my dear.? He turned and stood at the end of the bed, his eyes fixed on his son. ?Energy is neither created nor destroyed. It moves from one being to another as life crafts and death claims us. Certain groups of life energy separate into different beings and they are linked together. The romantic title is ?soul mate? but it?s a matter of complimenting energy.?

?So me and Luke share the same life energy??

?Yes, essentially,? he smiled at her. ?So does Leia and Han, Corran and Mirax, Kam and Tionne, Kyle and Jan.?

?I could have told you that,? she said dryly.

?They are very lucky, actually.? A droid entered the room and passed right through him which momentarily brought Mara back to reality. ?Jedi have a tendency to find their soul mates because they can sense

12. Killik_Swarm

Killik_Swarm Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 13, 2005
    *steals first reply*

Aw? how touching, Red! Mara gets a second chance? :)

And how interesting that Anakin was the one to come talk to her? and pose to her a similar question that Anakin Solo did? coincidence? :p

I thought this line was really good: ?Now,? he plunged forward, ?the Force will give you a little lee-way. You don?t have to have children right away, you can wait a couple of years but if you wait too long it will unceremoniously off you to get you out of the way.?

Man, the Force really is willing to do anything to make sure Luke has a kid, huh? My oh my?

Great job!

And I got the first reply again? HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

KT

13. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    Geeze, I feel like a yo-yo!

Should have known you'd trick us, great trick though! I love Anakin Skywalker. So complex...

14. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Tissues, please! I was sobbing the whole time.

That was so sad! Anakin was the perfect person to talk to Mara ... I mean, to a point, they already knew each other. :_| :_|

Wonderful post!

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Okay, that was something I NEVER would have guessed! To say that was cool and a beautiful, fantabulous, cosmic twist, would be understating the fact. [face_laugh] So, I'll dance and squee in delight to the Ewok victory dance and leave you with a million thank you's. [face_dancing]

16. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    I think I love you. [face_love]

But seriously, this was a fantastic twist. Playing with destiny eh? I cannot wait to see how this all turns out. I love Anakin still sacrificing all for his family. And he's darn right Luke deserves some happiness. Oh that Force. [face_frustrated]

Great job, can't wait for more! =D=

17. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    SHE LIVES!!!!!!!!

You really had us going there.... :p

18. BottledUpInside

BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    I love this story, I also like how you sort of gave the force personality with the "uncerimoniously writing her off" It made me chuckle. Great post!

19. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Y'all, RedGold still has the power to kill Mara! :mad:

If you kill Mara I will...I will.... Take my name of the PM list! :D Nah...

DON'T KILL MARA! PLEEEEAASE! [face_praying]

20. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    YES! YES! She comes back!! (please?)

21. DreamingIce

DreamingIce Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 8, 2005
    *whoops with joy* Yes!!!!! [face_dancing] [:D]

*looks around to see science class staring*

Mara will go back, right? *gives ewok eyes*

I loved the interaction between Mara and Anakin, It was fantastic!

Great work, RedGold

~Misha

22. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    I was hoping Anakin would be there waiting for Mara. A lot of Episode II Anakin showed through there. Bravo. I look forward to seeing what happens with their second chance. :D

23. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I didn't think about this when I read it before, but Mara actually had to make a really hard decision. She had to be completly sure she was going to have children with Luke, or risk causing him even more pain. Can you imagine, after a few years of marriage and no kids, just all of a sudden *wham*, Mara's dead? That would destroy Luke.

I like new perspectives :)

24. JayaMioneDurron

JayaMioneDurron Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=

[:D]

*is so happy you didn't leave it like that!!*

That was so beautiful. one thing though is mara wont remember any of this how can she keep her promise??

25. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    And now I'm reminded of Babylon5 for some reason... :D

Wait... she's not gonna die?

That... was so evil! I like it! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.