main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Something I Can't Finish - L/M (Romance, Angst) - COMPLETE - Nominated Winter 2005 Reader's Choice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! I had more than one post waiting for me when I got back! I like that! [face_dancing]

A wonderful, lovely twist in the story line. Bravo! =D=

2. Yslamiri

Yslamiri Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    Well well. I knew you weren't that evil!

Woohoo Mara lives and must give birth to the Skywalker dynasty. Ah well. Small price to pay I think. And lovely with the Anakin interaction.

No way should Mara be embarrased. She didn't know that Anakin would appear and offer her a second chance! She was just incredibly organised. As she usually is.

3. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Hope you're feeling better, Master. [:D]

Sorry for missing a couple updates. Anakin's crossing over talk with Mara continues to get me. What an unexpected and welcomed moment. I forgot how much I loved that part.

Luke is the cure for all things evil.[face_batting] Glad Mara's still tickin'.

=D= @};-

4. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Chapter 18 is so... so... sweet, without being overly sappy. And Luke sounds so real in Ch. 19, that 'she's alive, the rest doesn't matter' style... sigh
    HOping Anakin Skywalker or the farmboy will visit you (at least in your dreams) and speed up your recovery [:D]

5. Jaded_Girl

Jaded_Girl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Luke almost shouted but was able to calmly say very loudly, ?Do something!?

*snort* Impressive self-control, Luke. o_O

Again eyes fell on him, but turning around he found himself ignored. Leia and Talon were talking quietly and Han had disappeared. A ghost of a touch brushed against him, this one different but somehow familiar. He started smiling, unsure why.

Tee hee! Luke is seen by dead people... [face_mischief]

They were all bitter caf but Luke strongly suspected the Corellian had added something to them.

Yay for Han! [face_laugh]

?What are midiclorians?? Luke was suddenly curious about these things, whatever they were.

*giggle* "The Force..?" ;) Or if you are a novelization reader... "What's a duck?" :p

~?You replaced her!? Luke almost shouted.
    ~?She was dieing, Luke!? Talon defended.

You know, the sight of two of the most collected beings in the universe emotionally fussing at each other is just too hard to bear without at least ONE good guffaw. :D

~?Mara is going to be scared, Luke,? Talon said.
    ~?And embarrassed,? Corran added.
    ~?We?re going to have to step carefully if she?s going to make it through this.?

They're going to have to step carefully if THEY'RE going to make it through this... ^_^;;; :p

I hope you feel well again soon, RedGold! [:D] @};- [face_coffee]

6. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Thank you everyone who wished me good health. I got over whatever it was, and I hope it doesn't come back.

KELIA - That struck me as amusing...it'll be very interesting to see what Mara wants to do and how she deals with her feelings for Luke once she recovers.
    Should be very interesting, after all, almost dieing can change a person.

Mirax Corran - I mean, Talon and Leia and Han are right: circumstances change. Not to mention that what she said to him about "I would have said yes" was hypothetical, and hypothetical situations are much less emotionally draining.
    So it all boils down to one thing... their love for each other. [face_worried]

I wonder what she's going to do. I mean, will she go back with Karrde? She has to stay with Luke, obviously, because of the conditions of her return, but will she right away?
    It's a very good question, after all, she doesn't remember her little talk with Anakin.

ginchy - Poor Mara...she will be embarrassed, won't she? But, better to be red-faced, than dead, I reckon!
    You would think... :p

Golden Jedi -Ooooooohhhh!!! I'm a softie, I know...
    Nothing wrong with that!

Jadie - She survived! She survived!!!
    What? You think I'm evil enough to kill her?

Wait, don't answer that.

AzulSaber - I love how realistic you're keeping the medical scenes--Mara isn't just automatically better.
    I always find that it distracts from the story if things aren't kept as realistic as possible, to me at least.

It does kind of suck though that Luke's friends are all telling him not to get his hopes up with her. Still, they do have a point. Can't wait to see how it all turns out...
    As I said, reality... isn't it annoying? :p

Valin - Yay for hobbie getting a mention in a fic!
    Yay!! I wouldn't forget him!

Well, since mara soesn't have a job, it looks like she might have to become a jedi...
    Why not? :D

KT - Thanks! Let's see what happens next?

DaenaBenjen42 - Ummm, this is just a spell-check nitpick, but... there's a 'y' in dying.
    I never claimed that I could spell... or do proper tenses... :p

And they have a good point. Mara's gonna be a bit embarrassed, yes, but also happy to be alive.
    Let's hope! [face_worried]

Trep - Very few words with a beautiful and meaningful connotation...Very nice...
    Thank you! :)

Just wanted to pop in and tell you that I have enjoyed this whole story. Some great intropection by the characters based on their own concerns, and misgivings...
    Thank you once again! You're welcome any time!

Courtney - ::sits back and waits for next post now that she doesn't have to sit on the edge of her chair::
    Hope it was a good ride for you!

Jade eyes - (You know we wouldn't be able to stand the delay, right?) :-,
    If the stomach cramps didn't kill me, you would, right? ;) :p

I know everyone's trying to project a little realism here, and maybe they're right about Mara being scared and embarrassed, etc and needing to take things slow--but they can't go TOO SLOW!!!!! There's NOT A LOT OF TIME, according to the deal Mara agreed to, which of course she doesn't remember so she can't tell Luke about it--even if he might not believe it--though he might. But oh, my lands!! The last thing Farmboy needs is too stay at a distance "for her sake" or because he thinks that is what she wants--they need to talk about it first. No time to be holding back--gotta grab that second chance for what's it's worth--priceless. (They'd better, after getting it in the first place.).
    hehehe, very passionate there, I like! You're completely right though! Let's hope Farmboy won't be Farmboy for five minutes. ;)

BTW, I thought with the way chapter 18 ended, that after chapter 19, this the story would be like over--not that I wanted it to be--but I thought: where could it go from here? But, woo, there's a new twist.
    Thank you!
    I hope it didn't come too much out

7. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    Only the Epilogue after this chapter!

Chapter 20

Talon had left to talk to Kabash and his employees. Corran left for his ship so he could return to the Academy and talk to the senior Jedi. Han and Leia went to talk to the media to keep things calm.

Luke was left to deal with Mara.

?She seems to be in perfect health,? 2-1B said, ?physically and mentally, though she will need to have some physical therapy to counteract a slight case of atrophy.?

?Otherwise she?ll be perfectly fine??

?Yes, medically speaking.? 2-1B moved aside. ?You may see her now.?

?Thank you,? he nodded to the droid, then took a deep breath.

The door slid open for him with only a slight hiss. A quick glance around the room showed no medical droids. There were various beeps and humming coming from the equipment. The holo stat above her head glowed blue.

Finally his eyes settled on Mara. Pillows had been piled behind her and she sat up on the bed. She was slightly turned, gazing out of the window at the sky rising into a light shade of blue. He noticed she still had his ring on, idly turning it around her finger with her thumb and pinkie.

He made it up to her bed before she showed any signs of knowing he was there at all. Her eyes shifted downwards and she turned her head towards him. Not knowing what to say he allowed the silence to linger.

When she finally looked up at him there was so much pain in her green orbs he lost his breath.

?I?m so sorry, Luke,? she choked out and tears began to well up, pouring down her cheeks.

?Sshhh,? he went to her side, taking one hand in his and running the other across her cheek and through her hair, ?don?t cry, it will be okay.?

She started to gasp and choke on her own sobbing and he pulled her close to him. Crawling up onto the med bed it was a tight fit but he tucked her head against his shoulder and started to rock her gently. ?It will be okay.?

Mara was alive, this wasn?t some dream or hallucination, neither had been her death. She was alive.

I am alive.

But she couldn?t be.

She was supposed to die.

She had accepted that.

She was prepared for that.

Now she's alive?

?It?ll be okay,? Luke said gently, rocking back and forth on the bed, holding her close.

Mara wanted to believe him, in fact, she didn?t want to leave this exact moment. Could she stay like this forever, just being held and kept away from what she would have to face?

No.

Slowly she glanced up at her, what, boyfriend? Lover? Did he even want her after she had deceived him so?

His eyes where closed but he still held her tight. She felt his concern and love flow into her through the Force. It was love, but would it be enough? ?Luke??

He took a deep breath an opened his eyes slowly to gaze down at her. ?How are you feeling??

?Stupid,? came out before she had a chance to stop it.

He chuckled slightly, ?You?re not stupid.?

?I should be dead, Luke,? she said bluntly. There was something wrong, or was it right, that tugged at the back of her mind but she couldn?t place it. ?I imagine everyone is pretty mad at me.?

?For a moment, we were,? he replied solemnly, ?but we?re happy that you survived this. It?s nothing short of a miracle.?

?It shouldn?t have happened,? a fear started to clench at her. Somehow she had cheated death, but why?

?But it did,? he held her tighter, ?and so now we deal.?

A sudden realization struck her. ?Everything I have is gone!?

Strangely, that didn?t bother her so much, not as she thought it would. True, it would be annoying to have to go shopping again and get a place sorted out, but it was just items, superficial constructs. She had her life back.

?Not everything,? he said softly and ran a hand through her hair.

Mara wasn?t sure what he meant by that, and she supposed it could have been metaphorical as she still had friends and her life, but she couldn?t help but touch the ring she had found on her finger when she had woken up. It was obvious who had put it there, and she pretty much gu

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Yay! I really love this chapter. Very Mara, I think, to feel that way about the whole thing--'stupid'. Love that Luke comforted her and that they're getting married!

Now, if only they could be this happy in 'Bearing the Chosen'....;)

Love your writing, Red! Great job!

9. Killik_Swarm

Killik_Swarm Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 13, 2005
    Yay, second reply! *Grins*

Aw, how sweet! Mara's back, and true to Anakin's word, she doesn't remember a thing. :)

KT

10. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    On a path to better things I see. Excelent! :D

11. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    She buried her head against him once again, revelling in his comfort. ?I still feel stupid."

[face_laugh] Awww, don't worry, Mara. We've all been there. :p

I loved how no one knew what the midichlorians were. Was that Anakin's contribution to Mara's recovery? [face_mischief]

Now there's going to be a wedding! [face_love] [face_dancing]

12. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    He took a deep breath an opened his eyes slowly to gaze down at her. ?How are you feeling??

?Stupid,? came out before she had a chance to stop it.

Sooooo Mara...=D=

13. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Lucky Mara, you can feel as stupid as you want, you're still in Luke's arms o_O

I'll keep that bit of info on alternative medicine in mind if there's a relapse or you catch something else ;)

14. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    ?Well,? Han said with a smirk, ?things sure look cosy here.?

?Yes,? Leia nodded, ?very cosy.?

[face_laugh] Han and Leia are perfect. Happy Leia didn't flip her lid.

Clean slates for everyone...woo hoo! [face_dancing]

Luke is perfectly tender and warm. You know how to write a fellow that can melt a gals heart, RG. =P~

They're getting married! Moving to Yavin 4 and Mara will carry out the plans Anakin set for her. I love this - got to have more of it. Wonderful update! =D=

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Okay, it's official. I can really bust loose with a loud euphoric whoop! Woo doggie!! This chapter is the sweet yummy outcome I've been hoping for. :)

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_dancing] That's all. Just [face_dancing]

17. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    OH YEAH! [face_dancing] [face_love] the update!

18. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    Yay! They get to get married and live *possibly* happily ever after!

19. SakuraTsukikage

SakuraTsukikage Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2005
    Okay, this is awesome. You write both Mara and Luke so well. =D= =D= =D= I just took a ton of hours out of my day to read this, but--heh. It was worth it.

And I loved Anakin appearing. That was great!

20. BottledUpInside

BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Love it!!!!!!!!!! : )

Its a warm and fuzzy feeling sort of post. :D

I had a bad day, and it cheered me greatly to see them get engaged!!!!!! Great job!=D=

21. AvenKiel

AvenKiel Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2003
    "Stupid."

LOL! I love Mara's reaction, blunt and to the point. You've done a great characterization of her!! I can't wait to see what happens next!!! (have you got a sequal planned? Because I lvoe this fic!)

22. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    [face_dancing]

I love how they were both at cross purposes, not sure if the other still wanted them. So Luke and Mara.

I'm glad that Leia was so cool about it and Han, well. He's Han ;)

23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    *bounces through story thread*

Yay! They is getting married! Yay!

Liked the reference to Fey'lya, by the way.

24. summerdaisy

summerdaisy Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 31, 2005
    I admit, I've been a bad reader, and I'm an accomplished lurker, but I wanted to stop by and say that I love this fic, and I'm really happy to see Luke and Mara take the next step.

I wish that the story wasn't nearly over. :_|

25. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Yay! [face_dancing]

I am so happy that they are getting married and Mara is realizing her destiny. She has nothing materially, but that doesn't really matter because she's got her life, friends, and Luke! Love it! And you got Leia and Han down perfectly too.

Now I'm sad that this is going to be over, but I enjoyed it immensely. Wondering what the epilogue will tell us...

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.