main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Something I Can't Finish - L/M (Romance, Angst) - COMPLETE - Nominated Winter 2005 Reader's Choice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by RedGold, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosh_Penin

Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    My guesses: Endor (unlikely though) or Tatooine.

2. Jadie

Jadie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2005
  3. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    BottledUpInside - I also visited the site. 'twas absolutely AMAZING! Which means I'll be reading it again on here!!!!! - Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it that much! :)

Rosh - My guesses: Endor (unlikely though) or Tatooine. - not bad a guess... not bad at all...

Jadie - Thanks ;)

I'm still posting every Sunday (UK time), but if you would like a PM, just ask!

Chapter 3

Luke Skywalker sat at his desk pouring over datapad after datapad of information regarding the supplies situation at the Academy. There had been a mix up in the foodstuffs that were delivered that morning. What was sent wasn?t their normal fare, but it was edible so they decided to just make due with what they had. That was the Jedi way.

A familiar presence approached his door and waited. Luke felt really bad for not meeting his friend when she landed, but he had been busy with the supplies fiasco. She didn?t seem to be angry with him, for which Luke was grateful. It was late and he didn?t feel like sitting through another of her tirades.

?Come in,? he responded to a soft knock.

The door slid open and Mara Jade slowly walked inside. She was dressed in her usual dark green tunic and black combat trousers. Luke was pleased to see that she still wore the lightsaber he gave her. It was a sign that she hadn?t totally given up on her training, she just needed time to come to terms with the past and the influence it had on her.

?Hello, Luke.?

?Hello, Mara. It?s good to see you. Have a seat.? He gestured to one of the basic wooden chairs in front of his desk and she sat down. She had used his first name, which was a good sign. ?Sorry I missed you this morning but I had business to attend to.?

?Happens,? she shrugged it off, ?and besides, I didn?t come here to see you.?

Luke frowned. While he knew he wasn?t her only friend here he blanched at the idea that she would drop by Yavin without even wanting to say hello. ?I heard you went to see Cilghal. Everything okay??

?Small place you got here,? Mara said dryly. ?I?m surprised you can keep any secrets.?

?There aren?t many secrets to keep,? he retorted.

She looked him up and down, ?Yeah, I suppose that?s true.?

?If the galaxy only knew what dull lives Jedi truly led most of the time,? he laughed and was surprised when she joined in. Although he enjoyed it, he couldn?t help but feel as if something was off. ?So how was your visit with Cilghal??

?It?s personal,? she snapped.

Luke threw up his hands defensively, not wanting to get into an argument. ?Sorry, but I worry about you.?

?You don?t need to worry about me,? her tone was a little less fighting than he thought it would be.

?I can?t help it. I worry about all my friends.? Now he waited for the ensuing argument.

Mara sighed and slumped in her seat. ?If you must know, I was diagnosed with something and I came for a second opinion.?

Working past his initial shock that she was being so forthcoming, he said, ?Diagnosed? With that??

?Working too hard,? she sighed and looked away.

?Well, I could have told you that,? he laughed out then covered his mouth as if that would take it back or save him setting Mara off.

?You should be the one to talk,? she snapped, ?you spend all your time in this stuffy office pouring over what it means to be a Jedi Master.?

?Can?t argue with you there,? he conceded. ?It?s just every time I take a vacation, something goes wrong.?

?No kidding.?

He grinned. ?At least I know that you?ll be there to pull my rear out of the fire when it all goes to hell.?

?Yeah,? she said quietly. They lapsed into silence and Luke was about to speak when she said, ?Karrde has forced me into a vacation of sorts.?

?Good, you could use the rest.?

?What rest? You know I can?t sit still very long.?

?That?s true,? Luke said thoughtfully, wondering what was different about Mara. She was still her usual snappy self, but the fight seemed to have gone out of her, well, mostly. He held out a little hope that mayb

4. Jadie

Jan 9, 2005
    I love sunsets!!! [face_love]

Poor Mara, what has she gotten herself into? o_O :p

5. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    This should be interesting! Mara definately needs to open up and tell him what's going on...and then she needs to not die. [face_praying]

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    As she heard the cockpit door close behind her she realized that it was two days to Tatooine and she would be stuck with Luke during that time.

?Sounded like a good idea at the time,? she mumbled to herself.

[face_laugh]

*raises hand and volunteers to go to Tatooine with Luke if Mara's having second thoughts...*

[face_blush]

7. BottledUpInside

BottledUpInside Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 28, 2005
    Yay for sunsets!

8. AzulSaber

AzulSaber Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    After a few moments, Luke found his voice again. ?Mara, are you asking me to come with you to Tatooine to show you the best spot to watch a sunset??

?Ah,? she seemed to falter, ?yes.?

?What?s the catch?? he blurted out.

[face_laugh] Awesome!

Now all we need is some great mush, and yeah, for Mara to recover...please??[face_praying]

9. jade51999

jade51999 Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Nice post.

:)

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Mara invites Luke to watch the sunsets on Tatooine...I wonder if she knows what she is getting into? :D

Hopefully she will open up to Luke there...

Loved the update!

=D= =D= =D=

11. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Oh, so sad. But this is Luke Skywalker right. He can do something for our favorite red head?

12. Valin_Halcyon

Valin_Halcyon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Luke and mara, sitting in a tree....

13. MirandaFair

MirandaFair Jedi Master star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Yay! Another update!

?What?s the catch?? he blurted out.

The fury that Luke had come to associate with Mara blazed in her green eyes. ?Why do you think there has to be a catch??

Poor Mara. *hmphs* A sunset...that's all she wants, Luke. Leave it to Farmboy to think there's a catch. lol

Loved Tionne and Kam's interaction. :D

A beauty-of-a post, RG! [:D]

14. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great post!

Love how Luke comes up with every implausible idea of why she would ask him to watch a sunset with her than the most obvious ;)

15. Rosh_Penin

Rosh_Penin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    :( How sad.

16. tasujad

tasujad Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2005
    Luke studied Mara, still trying to figure out what had changed about her. ?I?m awful tired.?
    ?You can sleep on the Fire,? she argued.

Jedi master or something [face_shame_on_you]. People can be VERY ignorant sometimes.

Pleas don't kill Mara [face_praying][face_praying][face_praying] or you are BAD* person :mad: [face_devil] [face_shame_on_you]

* like someone who called himself Palpy [face_skull]

Hope to see soon more :)

P.S IF you have update list then i would like very much to add my name on that [face_blush]

P.P.S sorry bad grammar

17. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    OMG--how have I not posted a reply to this wonderful story?! I'm remiss in my reviewing duties! I'll do better (since there's no try, you know). :D

Anyway, great idea for a story, and wonderfully written. Can't wait for Tatooine!

18. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Ohhhhh... [face_love] :* Mara with a sweet voice? Oy!

[face_laugh] If that isn't typical Luke. What I love is how Mara keeps snapping at him, but Luke just takes it in stride, as though he realises a certain amount of snapping is always going to be a part of her. :p

19. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    *sighs* Sign me up, RedGold.

You've got my undivided attention on this! This is great, Mara asking Luke.... hmmm...

[face_laugh]

20. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Jadie - I love sunsets!!!
    So do I!

Poor Mara, what has she gotten herself into?
    Too much.. probably... :(

cheersweetie27 - This should be interesting! Mara definately needs to open up and tell him what's going on...and then she needs to not die.
    Not dieing would be good... yes... *nods*

Trace - *raises hand and volunteers to go to Tatooine with Luke if Mara's having second thoughts...*
    I bet you would!

BottledUpInside - Yay for sunsets!
    Yay! [face_dancing]

AzulSaber - Now all we need is some great mush, and yeah, for Mara to recover...please??
    Let me see what I can do... [face_thinking]

jade51999 - Thanks!

KELIA - Mara invites Luke to watch the sunsets on Tatooine...I wonder if she knows what she is getting into?
    Not a clue!

ZaraValinor - Oh, so sad. But this is Luke Skywalker right. He can do something for our favorite red head?
    I just don't know... [face_worried]

Valin - Luke and mara, sitting in a tree....
    It had to be said! hehehehe

MirandaFair - Poor Mara. *hmphs* A sunset...that's all she wants, Luke. Leave it to Farmboy to think there's a catch. lol
    Well, wouldn't you??

JadeLotus - Love how Luke comes up with every implausible idea of why she would ask him to watch a sunset with her than the most obvious
    Thats our Luke... [face_love]

Rosh - How sad.
    Very... :(

tasujad - Jedi master or something . People can be VERY ignorant sometimes.
    Especially Luke when it comes to the romance department... :rolleyes:

Pleas don't kill Mara or you are BAD* person
    * like someone who called himself Palpy

Are you saying I'm on par with Palpy?
    COOL!

ginchy - OMG--how have I not posted a reply to this wonderful story?! I'm remiss in my reviewing duties! I'll do better (since there's no try, you know).
    I'm easy to miss... I have an adversion to being shot... hehehe

Anyway, great idea for a story, and wonderfully written. Can't wait for Tatooine!
    Thanks!

JadeSolo - If that isn't typical Luke. What I love is how Mara keeps snapping at him, but Luke just takes it in stride, as though he realises a certain amount of snapping is always going to be a part of her.
    Hey, it's Jade! Would we expect anything less?

Courtney - You've got my undivided attention on this! This is great, Mara asking Luke.... hmmm...
    [vader]I have you now[/vader]

I love doing that... hehehe

21. RedGold

Nov 29, 2004
    Since I have started a new fiction from scratch here on the boards called Bearing the Chosen, I have decided to up the posting of this completed fiction to Sundays and Wenesdays.

Thank you.

Chapter 4

?Morning.? Luke was sitting at a small table in the galley and didn?t bother looking up from his datapad as Mara entered.

?And I thought I got up early,? she mumbled as he heard the caf machine click on.

Luke smiled and laid down the datapad to look up at her. She was wearing a loose tunic that was a lovely shade of dark green, her trousers being black. Her hair was pulled back in a loose knot with a few strands falling around her face.

He had to wonder if this is how she normally looked. Often he only saw her for short periods of time, and when they had spent a decent length of time together on a ship it was usually before or after all Kessel had broken loose. Searching his memory he couldn?t remember ever seeing Mara this relaxed in his presence. He didn?t even realize she was an early riser.

?Comes from spending too much of my life on a farm,? he said as he watched her make her caf. ?If you want to collect the moisture that settles during the night you have to get up just before dawn breaks to run the vaporators.?

She turned to him and tilted her head, ?So that?s how you get moisture out in the middle of a desert.?

?How else would you?? he laughed.

?I don?t know,? she shrugged as she grabbed a box of breakfast rations and took the seat across from him, ?I guess I never really sat down to think about it.?

?Not many do. I don?t blame you.?

Mara opened up the container and pulled out one of the ration bars. Luke hadn?t eaten yet because it didn?t feel right rummaging through her supplies without her consent. It seemed ridiculous to worry about her reaction to such a thing, but then he sometimes never knew what would set her off.

He made a gesture towards the box in a silent request for her to share. With her mouth full she made an apologetic noise and pushed the box towards him. He selected one and tore the wrapper off of it. As he consumed it he had to give Mara high marks, she may live off of ration bars but at least she spared no expense in buying the best tasting ones available.

?I don?t live off ration bars,? she grumbled.

?Peeking, Jade??

?Just reading your face is all,? she smirked and took another bite.

?You?re very good at that.?

?Thanks,? she said sardonically.

?I?m serious. I don?t know how much of it is part of the Force, but you do have a good intuition about things.?

She sat there silently and Luke wondered what he had done wrong this time. After a few moments she said, ?I had classes.?

?Classes??

?Palpatine.?

?Oh,? Luke said quietly.

?I had all sorts of classes designed to teach me how to read others. The slight shifts in their voices and the way they avert their eyes.?

?I?m sure that came in handy,? Luke tried to be good-natured about the whole thing. Mara?s past was one topic he knew she was volatile about.

?It did.? Mara stared into her ration bar. ?Saved my life a few times.?

?Good,? he replied, and when Mara looked up at him quizzically he continued, ?because if it hadn?t, I wouldn?t have had the chance to know you.?

Mara laughed and shook her head. ?You still think that?s a good thing, don?t you.?

?Of course I do. I owe you my life several times over.?

She abruptly stopped laughing and looked at him blankly. ?Is that why you?re so nice to me? Because I saved your life a couple times??

Luke thought carefully before he replied. ?You?ve always been there for me because you?re my friend, not the other way around.?

?Then how come every time we see each other it?s because some disaster has occurred??

?I?m either on Yavin or Coruscant, you could stop by any time.?

Mara started to fume. ?Listen, if this is some thinly-veiled attempt to get me to start my training??

?Nothing of the like!? Luke quickly inter

22. Jadie

Jan 9, 2005
    Why do I have a bad feeling about this? [face_worried]

Poor Mara, Luke is always so friendly that he hurts her without realising it... [face_tired]
    :(

23. cheersweetie27

cheersweetie27 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Oh no! I guess she'll have to tell him what's going on now. Great stoy, RG. Continue!!

24. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Well, now it's got to be obvious to Luke that things aren't right. How things play out from here ought to be very interesting. I still hope for the best, but hmm.

25. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Oh, those two. :oops:

Great update. I like scenes with Luke and Mara just sitting around, talking, bonding. Very nice.

Luke shook his head and sighed. ?I told you, you?re my friend. My stomach tends to turn at the though of my friends dying.?

Luke!! [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.