main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something I have been VERY concerned with as of late...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Sith_Prophet, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Sith_Prophet

The_Sith_Prophet Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2003
    I've noticed what the Bashers and the Gushers have done to the TPM forum. Now, the AotC forum is much younger, but I'm certain that, given time, it could become just as battle-scarred by the infighting between Bashers/Gushers as This thread was.

I normally would not be bringing this up, but about a month ago, a Bashers thread was started on 3SA. At first, it was fine, but then came the Gushers. They started fighting, and even fellow members of ***AoE*** were attacking each other. The Gushers started a thread, which was propmtly invaded by the Bashers untill both threads had to be locked.

Now, I notice that some members of the notorious E-gang ***AoE*** go around to threads and will post sweet nothings in threas they want to see locked, an example of which can be found Warning: Thread points to Episode 3 (spoilers) forum here.

Now, this division of the boards has got to go. I believe we ought to ban the Basher/Gusher topics, and I'm serious when I say the ""***AoE***" are disrupting the boards, just look at the user "EoA' to see this, and his group needs to be disbanded as well.

Thank you for your time,
    TSP

YJ edit: Added spoiler warning.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    First off, what is "***AoE***"?

Second, the AOTC forum will never see basher/gusher sanctuaries as long as I have any sort of say in it. I try my hardest to keep basher/gusher problems to a minimum. I'm pretty sure the Episode 3 forum mods have said simliar things in the past.

Third, please be let people know when a link points to the spoiler forum. Some people don't want to be spoiled.

3. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    I, honestly, don't know what ***AoE*** is. They run around primarily on the 3SA forum, and are generally an annoyance. The members all put ***AoE*** or ***EoA*** in their sigs. Basically, they spam threads they don't like.

4. Captain_Sarcasm

Captain_Sarcasm Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2003
    I can't speak for anyone else, but I have never just intentionally spammed a thread, just because. Sure I've probably posted things here and there that were questionable but even that was in threads where there was a serial troll.

I've never "spammed" a thread. It's my understanding that "spam" is when you post repeatedly with no rhyme or reason to your posts. Feel free to go through my posts, you'll see I don't do that. I've made some humorous quips before but usually that is after I have posted a serious response to the original post.

Why should my sig. matter? People have AHBY in theirs and other group affiliations. What is so special about this one?

In the thread you linked to, 2 3SA mods [Dehrian, and DarthSinister] also posted in that thread. I didn't see how the thread was totally derailed by what was posted.

Edit: corrected an error

5. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    But when someones going ROAAAAAAARRRRRR!!!! AOE!!!! ROAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!, it kinda takes away from the enjoyment of the boards, y'know?

And it's not just doing that; many members of ***AoE***, such as AgonyEngine, will flame those who start redundant threads, even if they don't know better, like newbies.

AoE is a vigilante group, and they need to be delt with like any other vigilante group.

6. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The strange thing is several members who want to see the abolishment of the Basher Sanctuary with the movie Defense Forces is in motion. Newcomers need to encouraged to talk to everyone, not join either side which widens the gap between us. Could someone explain to me why the Basher Sanctuary is in a Prequel Forum, even when most of them despise that film?

7. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    I enitrly agree. Defense Forces and Bashers Guilds merely incite flamming and cause a gap to be formed in our ranks.

Lest we want to go the way of the Old Republic, we ought to crack down on Bashers and Gushers.

8. Captain_Sarcasm

Feb 1, 2003
    AoE is not a vigilante group. Two 3Sa mods, Dehrian, and DarthSinister posted in that very same thread not even 5 posts away. If they did not see a problem [i.e a warning, banning] then I do not think they thought it was a bad enough post to warrant a response to either of them.

9. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    Moda are opinionated, like anyone else.

If I were to go into a thread and, say, post Siiiiiithhhh Prophet!!!! ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR! SIIIITHHH! PROPHEETTTTTT!, I would get a spank.

10. Captain_Sarcasm

Feb 1, 2003
    If you do not agree with the mods' decisions then the next thing to do is PM an Administrator. Darth Sapient is the senior 3SA mod who has power over both of the other mods mentioned. That would be the next logical step if you think the mods are biased. I can assure you Dehrian and Darth Sinister are not biased or opinionated towards any individual or group. They are both fair and reasonable mods. They have been fair whenever I have dealt with them.

11. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    A Snipple from our large post:

"There should be no clear gap between different opinion and view here. The Defence Force was created after the Bashers Sanctuary was created. Newcomers shouldn't feel intimidated at any time during their visit to the Episode I Forum. These people don't interact with each other now, people that like Episode I are asked to leave the Basher Sanctuary, while people that hate Episode I are asked to leave the Defence Force. Why must there be a clear gap between these fans and their opinions?"

We'll save this for another topic, which should be posted soon and brought before the Administrators. I'm sure you'll sign the petition The_Sith_Prophet.? :)

12. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    Sure, if you'll sign my petition to have AoE "dealt with".

13. Captain_Sarcasm

Feb 1, 2003
    Sith_Prophet, even at my very worst I have never posted anything publicly saying the mods should "deal with" a certain user. That's just not right.

If anything you should PM the mods if there is a problem. You should not go to communications, basically call the 3SA mods inefficient, and then ask people to sign a petition to have someone "dealt with". If you ever have a problem with a user you need to PM a mod. If that doesn't work then you go higher until you get an answer to your problem. That's how the system works.

14. Kyp

Kyp Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    I think you need to stop acting like you own this outfit, prophet.

15. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    It;s not a user; it's an organization; and the 3SA mods can't do anything about the ***AoE*** because you have little bastions on other boards, as well.

16. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    And how am I "acting like I own this gig", Kyp?

17. Captain_Sarcasm

Feb 1, 2003
    The mods can do anything about any user at any time. If I or anyone that is associated with me gets out of line, we would get banned. Just like any other user on the boards who do not follow the TOS. Are you saying we get preferential treatment by the mods? Because we do not.

18. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Back on topic. No personal remarks are needed here.

19. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    Anyway, I have just struck a deal that should see the end of the Bashers/Gushers. Next time, it will be the various social groups who have enough time on their hands to spam.

20. AgonyEngine

AgonyEngine Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 13, 2001
    Sith Prophet...

I understand your concern, and I think it's admirable; however, I believe you may be overeacting a bit.

A few months ago we had an influx of new users at a non-stop rate, it follows then that we also had an influx of redundant threads; because of this the entire 3sa forum was flooded and unreadable. My friends and I in the AoE (SW fan club), like all other regular posters did what we could to help the overburdened mods at the time. Soon Dehrian and Roland were brought into the fold to help out and they ceratinly have helped bring order to our great forum! In fact, during the first month alone of their tenure they began to help Sinister and Sape bring order back, but many regulars still helped as much as they could.

I'm sure you will agree that redundancy, although always a problem, has been seriously reduced in the 3sa, in addition, the responses to it by longtime posters his decreased greatly also...

***GUSHING/BASHING***

Just to set the record straight, the members of AoE are NOT gushers; however, we do try to support the saga and the creator (GL of course) from any unfair criticism. Basically the AoE is a SW fan club amoung a few friends. There is NO gang here, if there was we would be banned. I have never been banned in my years here, and I believe that is true for the majority of my friends. I'm sorry that you have been upset with us for whatever reason, one thing I can guarantee you is that the AoE have never fought amounst themselves on any board---that statement of yours confuses me. I have a feeling that what is really at issue here is that you feel as though we were rude to you when you were a newbie, if that is true---I sincerely apologize. Try to shake it off bud! I remember when I first came on here and Chyren was a mod, now that guy REALLY whipped newbies into a frenzy! Anyway, no hard feelings man, and if you have a problem with ANY users (not just us) please report them to the Mods responsible for that particular forum.

Thanks for your support of theforce.net! :)

21. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    Actually, The_Sith_Prophet has signed a petition about something. He was not referring to you. :)

22. The_Sith_Prophet

Feb 22, 2003
    I am sorry, AgonyEngine. There is a poster amongst the AoE, who ironically is called AoE, who posts nothing but dinosaur sounds and the word Aoe.

anyway, I am continuing my quest against Bashers.Gushers, but I'm going to bed for now.

ood night!

23. Captain_Sarcasm

Feb 1, 2003
    Jedi-Learner, I guess I misunderstood this statement.

Sure, if you'll sign my petition to have AoE "dealt with". -TSP

If he was joking I would highly suggest using emoticons. Even then the new "rules" for communications don't really allow for jokes and whatnot. I was under the impression that if a post was not about the topic at hand and just a witty comment then a 24-48 hour ban would be enforced.

24. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I was under the impression that if a post was not about the topic at hand and just a witty comment then a 24-48 hour ban would be enforced.

If a thread isn?t on topic, a warning is issued for all participants to get back on topic. I issued that warning a few posts ago. I don?t want to lock this thread, so let?s find our way back to the subject at hand and end this line of conversation.

Am [face_love]

25. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I don't understand why "bashers" and "gushers" would need sanctuaries. Sure before the forums were properly regulated, there was a lot of unsavory crap that went un-checked in the TPM forum.

But now with the current TFN moderation, we don't have that problem.

People should be able to say positive and negative things about TPM in the TPM forum, that's the place for it.

But having organized "basher" and "gusher" groups only polarizes people. I mean most people are different. The things people do and do not like about the SW films are usually pretty personal and varied througout SW fandon.

Joining in with a purely positve or negative group only makes everyone involved seem too extreme to take seriously.

I don't see why people feel the need to strive to hate TPM as much as they possibly can, and I think that a thread with that intent is only counter productive.

I can sort of relate to the idea of a thread that strives to better enjoy the film of the forum in question. To me, that's a positive thing, and people only benefit.

But in the end both kinds of threads serve only to cement the lines between fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.