main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something I have been VERY concerned with as of late...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by The_Sith_Prophet, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    "All who disagree are unwelcome here!"

That isn't true and has also been covered repeatedly in this thread.

2. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    First, no. The films have divided the fans. Some like 'em, some don't. It's the opinion on the films that divides people, not the existance of two threads that people are free to post in. People are also divided over the SE's, and you often see plenty of heated debate in the OT forum over those. This place will never be one big "E-Family" and it's silly to expect it to be.

Well to add to this I would like to say one thing. We have Star Wars with five films right know we all like different parts of it and so on.

But here's what I woudl like to ask we all know about 007. How many people do think are divided up in that fandom. I mean they have how mane 007 movies. I'm sure it's just like the SW fandom. I bet Star Trek is to.

Some time we let things get to us. So it's not the BS thread of the DF threads that do that to us. It's the films and you can look at the 007 and Star Trek fandom and you may very well see the same thing.

3. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    Who was the person stupid enough to allow the creation of these topics?

4. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    " Basically8, I think it's unhealthy for any online community forum to have dedicated threads that basically say, "All who disagree are unwelcome here!"

But that's just my opinion."

And I completely understand that. However, I've seen many threads that have started with something to the effect of "I'm asking for examples or some such, please don't respond if you don't like such-and-such." Is this wrong also? I like free speech, but limits can be necessary (shouting "fire" in a theater). Otherwise, threads will get derailed just from jokes or ridiculous straw-man arguments.

There has to be some moderation, and freedom of speech isn't a given on these boards. Sometimes, it's best to channel some types of discussions (even thought they fall under the same rules.) Otherwise, without this moderation, the boards will end up like SOTJ. You wouldn't want that, would you? (Mods - please excuse the example used :) )

5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Well, like I said, it's just my opinion. I, personally, would like to see all such "sanctuaries" abolished, but really, it's no skin off my nose if they stay.

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Is that another flame?

7. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    "Is that another flame?"

I really want to know which idiot allowed the Basher Sanctuary to be created. Who was it? [face_plain]

8. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    ^ Further proving my point. :(

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but is this the kind of person we really want to take the advice of when considering the fate of the Sanctuary, especially is light of his "We welcome intelligent discussion and hope you find the time to read all the issues discussed" comment in the BS?

9. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    So you do have a personal beef with the Sanc.?

Is this call to ban all DF's too just a necessary evil in order to get what you want or an attempt to hide that bias?

10. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    GK edit: OK, there are too many people here who can't discuss this objectively. This kind of behavior can not continue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.