main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something I noticed on my SW Desk calendar

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by remhuck, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. remhuck

remhuck Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    I've read these boards since 2000 and I think I've posted once or twice so go easy cause I hate to feed this debate but..... On my SW desk calendar it has a character for every day of the year and what episode they appear in. On today's page it has Darth Sidious 10/19/04 and it says that he appears only in Episodes I & II. I do get why it doesn't list Episode III (because it doesn't exist yet). I'm a fan of the Sidious is not a clone thing so this perplexes me that he is not listed as being in Episodes V & VI. Any thoughts?

Thanks Remhuck

2. MurphysLaw

MurphysLaw Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2004
    Maybe because once he reveals himself, he goes by a different name? Only thing I can think of.

3. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    They're hoping to play on people who still don't believe Palatine and Sidious are the same person. :p

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    It's a bit like saying Anakin only appeared in 1, 2, (3) and 6. Not quite the same thing, but a similar idea.
    The whole dual identities thing. Sidious and Palpatine are the same person, but in TESB and RotJ he's officially Palpatine. No more Sidious, because he doesn't need to fool anyone anymore.
    In the Prequels alone he acts very much as if he were two different persons.

5. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    If Episodes I,II, and III had came out in the late 70's and early 80's and Episodes IV,V, and VI had came out now, then I have the feeling that the Emperor would go by the name of Sidious.

Maul, Tyrannus, and Vader didn't change their names back to their birth names.

6. Keyan_Farlander

Keyan_Farlander Jedi Master star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Strictly speaking, he didn't go by "Palpatine" in those movies either. He was simply refered to as "The Emperor."

7. remhuck

remhuck Jedi Youngling

Feb 24, 2004
    I understand the analysis Twilekjedi uses concerning Anakin/Darth Vader because he does transform as the saga progresses (or degresses as PT bashers would say hehe). But the emperor IS Sidious. I think he's the same dude that recruits Anakin in the PT and the same dude that Vader offs in Return of the Jedi. Still a dark lord now just with a bigger title like the Klan uses to make themselves feel good-- Grand Dark Lord Emperor of the Sith Darth Sidious Palpatine. But you can me emperor for short. I appreciate people giving ideas cause lord knows I'm the only SW geek of ANYONE I know.
    Word

8. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Maul, Tyrannus, and Vader didn't change their names back to their birth names.

Because all of them identified primarily as Sith. Palpatine presumably identified primarily as a politician, because that was how he got to be in charge of the galaxy, after all. In that light, it makes sense that he continues to use the name associated with his public persona.

It's also possible Palpatine didn't want the galaxy to know their emperor was a Sith lord.

9. Samot

Samot Jedi Master star 1

Jul 20, 2004
    I assume it's because he no longer needs his other identity.

For him to rise to power, he needs to be Palpatine as he is the proper elected official, but to get him into that position he works things behind the scenes as Sidious. He needs a different name obviously or else people would realise what's going on.

When Palpatine is in complete power, there is no need for him to pretend anymore and he just acts evil all the time and doesn't pretend to be a caring official.

10. sabo-wan

sabo-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2001
    Palpatine doesn't really revert to his "birth name" on screen in the OT either. He is never mentioned as "Emperor Palpatine," only THE Emperor, as if he is some sort of god-like figure in the eyes of those beneath him. They dare not even mention his mortal name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.