main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something interesting I've noticed about the music in Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Oakessteve, Apr 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Now I could be just imagining this, but I reckon there are more instruments used for the soundtracks of both Return of the Jedi, and Empire Strikes Back, then compared to Star Wars (I'm sure a musician out there could tell me whether I'm right or not). Now, I know the most likely explanation is that they had more money to hire more instruments, but could it actually be representative of the plot? In Return of the Jedi, and particularly in Empire Strikes Back, there are a lot more sub-plots, all together, trying to get the audiences attention, so could the other instruments used in the two films be representative of the sub-plots? Also the tunes are lot more complicated, showing that things aren't simple anymore. A lot of tue tunes in both films are pretty difficult to hum, aren't they? I know I can't prove that, it's just something I've noticed. Anybody else noticed this? Or am I reading stuff into things that aren't there, or do you reckon I'm on to something?

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, I'd say you are. Anybody care to back me up?

3. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    I think that I read somewhere that for the first film, John Williams wrote the score for only a handful of instruments (thus altering the timbre between the films). Also, in ESB and ROTJ, he added more different instruments to the score, while also adding more players. This might be what you're looking for. Hope it helps!

4. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, this is a damn good question...so I'm raising it.

5. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    The Hoth Battle and Asteroid Chase music does sound different than the music in ANH.

6. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    It's nice to see there are a few people agreeing with me here! So, do you lot reckon this was intentional, or just a happy coincidence?

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd say it was intentional, personally. Makes sense, too.

8. Fatboy_Roberts

Fatboy_Roberts Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2000
    More money, more preparation time, more inspiration...probably just generally wanting to top himself..

Peace,
    Fatboy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.