main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Something is off in Mandalorian land

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DarthMane2, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kudzu

Kudzu Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 18, 2005
    I can see it now...

Jedi Guy: "We've found the Mandalore"
    Master Guy: "Finally! Have snipers standing by!"
    Jedi Guy: "They're shooting him, but nothing's happening!"
    Master Guy: "ZOMG teh give me visual!"
    Jedi Guy: "Okee doke"
    Master Guy: "Dammit! He's wearing the Hat! Abort! Abort!"
    Jedi Guy: "...I just don't understand any of this..."

2. ConservativeSoldier

ConservativeSoldier Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    I'm not trying to start a political debate, so just take this at face value as a concept. We (being the USA) have yet to get our "revenge" on Iran for taking over our embassy and taking our people hostage for over a year in 1979. It's 2006.

Sometimes, events take a while to come full circle.

3. Ive_Got_Two_Legs

Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 18, 2005
    If you're not trying to start a political debate, then maybe you shouldn't use examples of contentious real-life politics.

4. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Well they didn't wipe out the Mando'ade, but they did kill the reigning Mandalore of the time.

The NEC says, however, that it was a group of Rogue Jedi who descided to allie with the Bounty Hunters Guild and get vengence on the Mandalorian Mercs who destroyed the Ithullans.

The Jedi Council didn't even lift a figure to do anything on the Matter. Which I guess is still a mistake on their part.

5. ConservativeSoldier

Oct 1, 2005
    I was just using a real-life example to make a point. I figured most people would have the maturity to take the comment at face value--guess I was wrong. But if you're so masochistic that you want me to smack you around a little bit in the political arena, then head on over to the Senate. :cool:

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    The problem with putting real life examples in is that not everyone will agree with you. In Star Wars and other fiction, the opinion of the public is almost always one way or another (most people are pro-Rebels, mostly because of the perspective of the story), which is probably why they're used as examples in the real world. However there are too many differences of opinion in the real world to make an effective example.

7. ConservativeSoldier

Oct 1, 2005
    There's nothing to "agree" upon in my statement. It's just a real-life example between two rival nations (akin to the rival factions of the Mandolorians and the Jedi).

If some people on here get their panties in a wad over that, then it's their problem. And not mine.

8. daileyxplanet

daileyxplanet Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2005
    I am slightly confused. Were there two different times that the Mandalorians launched full-scale attacks? KOTR says the Mandalorian War happened 6 (or so) years before. Am I missing something?

9. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    No this is different. This happened long after the Mandalorian Wars, just 200 years before ANH. Clans of Mandalorian Mercs destroyed the Ithullans over a narcolethe Distillery. The Jedi Council decided not to do anything about it, so a group of rogue Jedi allied with the Bounty Hunters Guild and got some revenge. The result of the battle was the death of the ruling Mandalore by Durge's hand.

10. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    Er, the killing Ithullians and the dates part is right, but did you just pull the rest of that out of your arse?

11. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    I can't fit the New Essential Chronology up my Ass.

12. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    100 years later-they're not even getting the same mandolore responsible for the massacre!

13. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    That is why something is off in Mandalorian Land

14. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    You may not know it, but there is. There always is. In the real world things are never so clear cut. And there's more history involved with the bad blood between the US and Iran then you mentioned. It just gets too nitty gritty in the details like that.

15. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    You're correct that there's a lot more history, but his point was valid, and it's a valid comparison - in some ways. His point was largely that we haven't done anything in retribution for an act that, however "justified" you may see it as being, was most definitely the kind of act that begs for vengeance. That was the only thing he was saying. There was nothing political about it. He's correct that if people get upset about an analogy that is a simple statement of fact - nothing contentious about the fact that (1) the US embassy was attacked and hostages taken and (2) nothing has ever been done it in retribution. Those are facts, nondisputable and noncontentious. The politics around them may be, but those facts are not. Quit trying to make an issue where there isn't one, please. :)

- Keralys

16. ConservativeSoldier

Oct 1, 2005
    Thank you.

17. Fist_of_Mandalore

Fist_of_Mandalore Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2005
    The narcolethe distillery and rogue Jedi with the Bounty Hunters bits were in the NEC? I need to buy more books it seems...

18. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    No problem.

Side note: ThrawnRocks - I wasn't jumping on you, just trying to get us off an unnecessary conflict about something that was (1) taken way incorrectly and (2) derailing the thread. Nothing personal. [face_peace]

- Keralys

19. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    :eek: I think I need to sit down!
    A thread about Mandalorians with Randy and Nuke (Mane) here :eek:

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Perhaps it's a divine sign people don't have to address one another by full name in comics . . . [face_batting]

I liked the Mando abbreviation in Triple Zero, I have to say.

21. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    My point being that it the Iranians may have been seeking retribution against the US. And if retribution keeps going, that turns into a war.

Why do I bring this up?

Maybe the Jedi were afraid of war breaking out in that way, and thus didn't react until some rogue group of Jedi took it upon themselves to act. Trying to keep the peace as is their duty.

22. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Granted - but in some sense, that actually benefits the analogy in question. :p Since the US doesn't want a war, and neither did the Jedi, doesn't that make the situation even more similar? Anyways, all I was getting at is that, even though there may have been other factors involved (in both cases), all he said was a set of facts, nothing controversial. The Iranians may have had justification, they may not have; my point was that the justification or lack thereof in no way negates the statement of fact that the US never retaliated. :)

- Keralys

23. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Coming from a country renowned far and wide for it's "peacekeepinh" efforts, I can tell you that in all likelyhood, none of our famed interventions, save perhaps the original, would have amounted to anything without the threat of overwhelming American military intervention looming in the background.

Peacekeeping is a tertiary function for a soldier, and can only be of any effect when both hostile parties agree to abide by terms imposed on them, as in the mediation of a dispute. It's patently useless when the antagonists are bound and determined to slaughter each other, as Rwanda more than adequately proved.

24. LiberalismRules

LiberalismRules Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    Yeah, me neither.

25. DarthMane2

Sep 20, 2003
    Well I have no idea what the hell happened to this thread.

In any case, if this is all continuity, and the Jedi in fact waited 100 years to get vengence on the Mandalorians, then it is now the crime of the Jedi. At least the rogue Jedi who did the act. For the Mandalore in charge of the destruction of the Ithullans was probably already dead at the time. IF it had happened not long after the Massacre then perhaps the rogue Jedi do have some justification, but not if they waited 100 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.